Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

seligehgit wrote: »
    The Mayo team for Sunday's semi final game against Tipperary in Croke Park is:

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Kevin Keane (Westport)
    4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    7. Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
    8. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
    9. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
    10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    11. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
    13. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
    14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
    15. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

Team Manager: Stephen Rochford.
    Selectors: Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee & Sean Carey.

For me aside from Parsons slotting in for Vaughan, that's the best team we have to put forward for the crop of 33 players. The only other regular starters that might belong in the starting 15 and add to that team would be Caff and Barrett. All credit to Harrison as he has done his best to make that No. 2 jersey his own so Barrett would struggle to get in right now while Keane has not been threatened too much this year so far.

Worth noting as well that despite playing more championship games than other years, there has been very little involvement from the U21's. Back in March I was saying that 2-3 of them would threaten for starting positions and at least they would be in definite contention for most of the subs jerseys. Instead bar Coen earlier in the qualifiers, we have begun to rely on the Andy Morans, Alan Dillon etc while the younger boys have faded totally into the background.

How wrong was I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ascii wrote: »
    For me aside from Parsons slotting in for Vaughan, that's the best team we have to put forward for the crop of 33 players. The only other regular starters that might belong in the starting 15 and add to that team would be Caff and Barrett. All credit to Harrison as he has done his best to make that No. 2 jersey his own so Barrett would struggle to get in right now while Keane has not been threatened too much this year so far.

Worth noting as well that despite playing more championship games than other years, there has been very little involvement from the U21's. Back in March I was saying that 2-3 of them would threaten for starting positions and at least they would be in definite contention for most of the subs jerseys. Instead bar Coen earlier in the qualifiers, we have begun to rely on the Andy Morans, Alan Dillon etc while the younger boys have faded totally into the background.

How wrong was I.

Remember after the Galway game, some people were baying for some of the established players to be dropped in favour of the u21s

I can see Loftus getting some game time on Sunday, possibly Coen also if things are in the bag

Not to worry though no matter what happens this season I'd like to see a lot of rotation for the league next spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what are people's opinions on sunday , potential banana skin or comfortable win ? i still think tipperary were disrespected in the national media after there galway win, the notion that this brilliant galway team didnt turn up on the day is a laughable joke in my opinion and reality is they were beaten by a far better team hands down , i think if mayo win sunday it will be by a narrow margin , i would'nt base mayo off there defeat to galway early in the year but this could be very close .tipp have put up big scores all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Easy day for ye Sunday i reckon. They're a good side but no matter how well they play they've never met an animal like this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

what are people's opinions on sunday , potential banana skin or comfortable win ? i still think tipperary were disrespected in the national media after there galway win, the notion that this brilliant galway team didnt turn up on the day is a laughable joke in my opinion and reality is they were beaten by a far better team hands down , i think if mayo win sunday it will be by a narrow margin , i would'nt base mayo off there defeat to galway early in the year but this could be very close .tipp have put up big scores all year
    Division one team in their 6th semi final in a row vs a division 3 team
    If it wasn't Mayo it would be disrespectful to even ask the question !
    Mayo by 6
    Bench FAR superior if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo by 6

Well I'm still bricking it! We're better in every department but you can take nothing for granted with Mayo football, if there's one thing I ever learned.

Where's everyone anyway? Upper Hogan myself, not the best seats in the world but there aren't really many bad ones in Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Mayo by 6

if it was galway most people would be expecting a close game, also to be fair tipp have done almost everything mayo have done in the 5 or 6 years at underage level i am not sure if the league status is accurate given the age profile of the team

i am not doubting mayo i just think it will be a close game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd feel nervous enough. Weirdly, if it was a so-called "bigger" team, I'd feel a bit more comfortable, but I think Mayo can sometimes underperform against teams that they're expected to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    Easy day for ye Sunday i reckon. They're a good side but no matter how well they play they've never met an animal like this before.

My thoughts exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I think it's a case of 31 counties supporting Tipp on this one. Everyone (except Mayo) would love to see them in the final.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.
    Mayo have not been impressive in this years championship. I think Tipp have a great chance. If they come with a similar performance that they showed against Galway. They are very capable of beating Mayo.

Mayo by 6

I think Roscommon showed this year that the league means nothing when it comes to the championship. A top 3 team in division 1 of the league, knocked out of the championship by div 3 Clare.

6 semi-final appearances in a row would be great if they had one all Ireland medal to show for it. Question's have to be asked in Mayo. Why are they consistently making semi finals and finals and consistently failing to finish the job. Do they crack under the pressure? Do they have the mental toughness to be champions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

My thoughts to Mayo and tipp are that this is the first game where sweepers and defensive structures will not be adapted by the opposing team . Mayo have put huge emphasis on sweepers and 2 covering back . I think tipp will score enough to trouble Mayo but if we play oshea for long enough periods at full forward then I'd expect plenty of goals for Mayo and win with 4 to 6 to spare. We need to show our pressing game inside the 45 . We were very good at it 3 years ago and it is this that would force the tipp 1/2 back and full back line to crumble . The full back line is weak . Probably weaker than our full back line . They are going to target ours so we should compliment it with oshea at FF.
    So another challenge of having to adapt to the team game plan . I only hope that we have a nailed down system of how we want to play if we make the final . We should be the ones forcing the opposing team to change and not visa Versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think it's a case of 31 counties supporting Tipp on this one. Everyone (except Mayo) would love to see them in the final.

Not sure on that. Personally hope Mayo win as I want to see Dublin challenged in the final. Unfortunately I could see Tipp getting steamrolled if they got there.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Not sure on that. Personally hope Mayo win as I want to see Dublin challenged in the final. Unfortunately I could see Tipp getting steamrolled if they got there.

First of all, I wouldn't completely write off Kerry. Yes. Dublin are favourites, and should win but I'd hold off on naming them as finalists just yet.
    I'll correct myself, There is another group who might want Mayo to win, That's the Dublin team. They know Mayo, they know what mayo bring. Tipp are an unknown quantity, a team Dublin has never faced, I think they'd rather play Mayo.

First of all, I wouldn't completely write off Kerry. Yes. Dublin are favourites, and should win but I'd hold off on naming them as finalists just yet.
    I'll correct myself, There is another group who might want Mayo to win, That's the Dublin team. They know Mayo, they know what mayo bring. Tipp are an unknown quantity, a team Dublin has never faced, I think they'd rather play Mayo.

Stop will ya
    Dublin would rather play mayo than Tipp?
    Are you for real or on the wind up

km79 wrote:
    Stop will ya Dublin would rather play mayo than Tipp? Are you for real or on the wind up
    To get to the final would be great. Tipp instead if Mayo would be fantastic.

Dead cert, just like 1992.

We need to show our pressing game inside the 45 . We were very good at it 3 years ago and it is this that would force the tipp 1/2 back and full back line to crumble . The full back line is weak

True it was near perfection, great to watch and to be fair it dismantled a couple of good Ulster teams yet nobody seems to give credit for that, this Mayo team showed us how to beat Donegal and particularly Tyrone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think Roscommon showed this year that the league means nothing when it comes to the championship. A top 3 team in division 1 of the league, knocked out of the championship by div 3 Clare.

6 semi-final appearances in a row would be great if they had one all Ireland medal to show for it. Question's have to be asked in Mayo. Why are they consistently making semi finals and finals and consistently failing to finish the job. Do they crack under the pressure? Do they have the mental toughness to be champions?

The league is a good guide but not gospel when it comes to championship. The thing about Roscommon is that it's Roscommon. What can you do about that.

Tipperary were missing a hape of players for the league so their true status might be a tad higher.

Would love to see them win but can't see anything other than a Mayo win.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

I have written them off. They bring nothing to the plate that makes me think they can overturn last years AIrl final imo. I hope it's a close game and I'll be delighted if I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if Kerry keep it within 3 points to be honest.
    Mayo are a quality team with quality players who have been nip and tuck with Dublin in both 2013 and 2015 and they could have came out on top in any of those 3 games so they have the capability to beat Dublin on their day imo.
    I cannot see Dublin players/fans preferring to play Mayo but I'm open to correction on that. Let's be realistic, Kerry easily best Tipp earlier in the year and Kerry will have vastly improved by now and will still be a level below Dublin.
    And whilst I think Mayo are best equipped to make it a competitive AIrl anything can happen on Sunday and who knows maybe Tipp will spring a surprise!
    As long as the Dgl minors win Sunday I'll be able to enjoy the 2nd game :-)
    Good luck to all travelling from the 4 counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Mayo by 6

I think we'll put it up to Mayo for the first 50 minutes but after that ye're better conditioning will tell, and your bench is the key I think to close out the game. Tipp have a good first 15 but after that there's virtually nothing, Kearns has made little or no substitutions in our games and only in the last few minutes when the result is already decided (such as the win over Galway and the defeat to Kerry). The dozen or so missing players have really had a toll on the squad quality this year, especially Colin O'Riordan, now in the AFL, who would start for any senior side.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I think we'll put it up to Mayo for the first 50 minutes but after that ye're better conditioning will tell, and your bench is the key I think to close out the game. Tipp have a good first 15 but after that there's virtually nothing, Kearns has made little or no substitutions in our games and only in the last few minutes when the result is already decided (such as the win over Galway and the defeat to Kerry). The dozen or so missing players have really had a toll on the squad quality this year, especially Colin O'Riordan, now in the AFL, who would start for any senior side.

That's the way I see it too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »
    To get to the final would be great. Tipp instead if Mayo would be fantastic.

Dead cert, just like 1992.

TBF Tipp would be even more raging underdogs than Donegal were in 1992,so one never knows.I pretty much agree that we are the team best equipped to try and take down the Dubs left in the mix.:D

Stop will ya
    Dublin would rather play mayo than Tipp?
    Are you for real or on the wind up

Nobody wants to play Tipp right now. The way they are playing, the fact that their are unknown,makes them a very dangerous opponent for Mayo or Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Nobody wants to play Tipp right now. The way they are playing, the fact that their are unknown,makes them a very dangerous opponent for Mayo or Dublin.

Ah....No, I really don't think Dublin would prefer Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've little worries about them actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

All about getting the win tomorrow,preferably eith no collateral damage.Regardless of performance,saw enough against Tyrone to suggest this team can finally reach the summit when the medals are being dished out next month.Four weeks preparation,if we win,is a luxury we wont have had all summer.If it has to be a disputed 73rd minute free,that gets us over the line against Tipp, so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Needles73 wrote: »
    Ah....No, I really don't think Dublin would prefer Mayo

Play the county who took us to a replay last year, who we only barely got over the line against in 2013, who beat us in 2012.....or play a Div 3 side who haven't beaten any genuine AI contenders, or anyone who will play Div 1 football next year. Hmmmmm.....let me think about that for a second. I'd bite yours and everyone elses arm off to play Tipp in an AI final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nonsense i'm delighted we are playing them in the semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

If I had my way we would be playing them in the AI final. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 030802

Hey. 2 single train tickets for the 08:45 from Westport going spare if anyone is interested. Decided to drive instead.

Bringing the little ones, is Clonliffe College for parking a good option or is a nightmare to get out of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bringing the little ones, is Clonliffe College for parking a good option or is a nightmare to get out of?

On days when Croker is full, you can be stuck in there for up to an hour, waiting for Clonliffe Rd to be opened back up to cars. Then its a bit of crawl at 2 miles an hour, as all the other cars are leaving at the same time as you. I doubt if Croker will be close to full tomorrow, but it'll be a decent enough crowd, so I can't see you getting out of CC all that quickly. Make sure the little ones use the bathroom before you leave Croker.

My Mayo relations in the capital have told me and have on occasion thrown their car up alongside Fairview park on match day without any repercussions.We did it for the Westmeath game,I shall do same tomorrow.

Anyway weather is awful in the east,lots of flash flooding!:(I'm enjoying a nice appetiser.The Pocket Rocket v Jude Trump in Goffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I expect Tipp to be competitive for alot of the game before Mayo assert themselves in the second half and win handy enough. Really looking forward to this one. Some good forwards on both sides and the game wont be choked off with negative defensive football. Hope it stays dry

• Advertisement

I hope for your sake you don't have to eat those words tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The league is more complex than that though.

My opinion is always that teams who do unexpectedly well in the league don't necessarily do well in the championship.
    Reason being they are playing full strength teams while others are not.
    Same goes for teams doing unexpectedly poorly.
    Its often a sign of something wrong.
    Cork this year, and Mayo have had their moments too, including an unexpected Connacht exit.

And by the way 6 consecutive SF appearance is great, regardless of the outcome of any finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheMammy

Hey, had thought might not be able to travel tomorrow but think we can now. Where is the best place to get tickets in Dublin around lunchtime? Cheers. Have always had them heading up so not sure about on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

mickeyk wrote: »
    I expect Tipp to be competitive for alot of the game before Mayo assert themselves in the second half and win handy enough. Really looking forward to this Some good forwards on both sides and the game wont be choked off with negative defensive football. Hope it stays dry

There is indeed good forwards on both sides, but is it really in Mayo`s interest to have a shoot out with Tipp ?
    I`m sure Tipp would love an open game, but does that suit Mayo in that they are not blessed with many backs height wise in relation to of some of those Tipp forwards. Quinlivan in particular.
    Remember these lads destroyed a Galway back 6 in one on one, and some of those Galway lads were being talked off as possible All Stars come year end.
    Tight defensive structure first half with sweepers to take the sting out off Tipp and no goal conceded to me would be the way to go, but that`s only my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I wouldn't like to get into a shootout, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

TheMammy wrote: »
    Hey, had thought might not be able to travel tomorrow but think we can now. Where is the best place to get tickets in Dublin around lunchtime? Cheers. Have always had them heading up so not sure about on the day

The ticket office on the north circular road, directly opposite Gills pub at the top of Jones Rd would be the handiest spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

A few lads on here setting themselves up for a fall tomorrow evening with the over confident attitude if the Mayo dream team fail yet again after crossing the Shannon."sure tipp only beat a bad Galway team" as some of ye reckon.its more than the Mayo lads could manage this year.heres hoping tipp give ye a shock and ye can rethink the division 1 v division 3 theory.as a Mayo man said after the Connacht this year "sure Galway have nothing won yet" well lads the ball is in mayos court now.time to show what ye have won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Can't see a shootout happening we will go with the sweeper and smother there forwards,doubt the team that's named will start.

If and when the high balls start coming parsons\big Barry with take to the field to control that area if the field.

Not alone did "Michael Jackson " walk the week of a Connacht final he got momma to write a letter for him.tell Andy Moran the grainuaille concert in Westport are looking for dancers.he might be interested.his dancing days in salthill are finished.gaillimh Abu
    29th June
    My reply "Jesus they are all out this weather. Suppose it's early in the summer yet . Who will still be talking in August"

You will be back again the 3rd week in September. Sure you will have to be right at some stage ;)
    Galway footballers have not won a game in Croke park in 15 years but it's mayo who choke up there apparently while galway "come alive " when thy get there LOL
    Up mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

A few lads on here setting themselves up for a fall tomorrow evening with the over confident attitude if the Mayo dream team fail yet again after crossing the Shannon."sure tipp only beat a bad Galway team" as some of ye reckon.its more than the Mayo lads could manage this year.heres hoping tipp give ye a shock and ye can rethink the division 1 v division 3 theory.as a Mayo man said after the Connacht this year "sure Galway have nothing won yet" well lads the ball is in mayos court now.time to show what ye have won

Games are not won or lost on a discussion forum. The opinion of some overconfident posters (in your opinion) will have no direct bearing on the game. Mayo with their big game experience and physically hardned panel have a right to be confident but the players will be wary of Tipp s freshness and 'nothing to lose' attitude.. Some people get carried away and think typing on forums is the actual sport and football is the sideshow, so tell us, what have you ever won?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

@ km79 go back another post or 2 of mine if that's what you're into and you will see I was already right in predicting a Galway win in Connacht if that's the route you want "if I will have to be right at some stage".best of luck tomorrow Mayo heres Hoping for a hardy and hungry tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

naughto wrote: »
    Can't see a shootout happening we will go with the sweeper and smother there forwards,doubt the team that's named will start.

If and when the high balls start coming parsons\big Barry with take to the field to control that area if the field.

One thing I would be fairly sure of is that Tipp will target your back line often and early with high ball aka Donegal 2012.
    I said earlier, sweepers, and I didn`t mean just McLoughlin. I meant height in their early on plus a sweeper. I posted earlier in response to somebody saying it wouldn`t be a defensive game. Imo 6 backs plus an added bit of height plus Mc Loughlin, or whoever is sweeping would be the way to go early on.
    8 back and holding will break that Tipp team first half.
    Open football is great to watch from an intertainment point of view for spectators.
    Champion SFs arent about entertaining.
    The`re about winning.
    Whatever it takes.

Mayo abu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

On the train from Limerick now...having a clear run at the day :-)

There's actually a surprising amount of Tipp fans on board....I may have to stay incognito until we get to Dublin.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Games are not won or lost on a discussion forum. The opinion of some overconfident posters (in your opinion) will have no direct bearing on the game. Mayo with their big game experience and physically hardned panel have a right to be confident but the players will be wary of Tipp s freshness and 'nothing to lose' attitude.. Some people get carried away and think typing on forums is the actual sport and football is the sideshow, so tell us, what have you ever won?

Top post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement