Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think it's a case of 31 counties supporting Tipp on this one. Everyone (except Mayo) would love to see them in the final.
    And Maybe Kilkenny??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Kalyke wrote:
    And Maybe Kilkenny??

And some of the hurling people in Tipp

Heading in now, I found a red T Shirt. It's the best I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »

Just in myself.I can loan you a green marker.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »

What the hell is wrong with you? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with you? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. :mad:

Sure the lad has the grá for Keeerrreeey too.

I think an intervention up in Meaghers before the match next week will have ti happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He shouldn't even be let into Meaghers with that carry on. Let him hang out in The Big Tree & Quinn's* with the rest of his kind. :p

*humans, not rats obvs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Anyone have a free seat beside them. Stuck in the second row behind the Davin goal. Can't see ****e....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

None too impressive so far...

• Advertisement

What were ye at for the first 20?

Same pattern as the qualifiers, underwhelming performance but never looked like losing. In the final and still don't know whether we're serious contenders...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Same pattern as the qualifiers, underwhelming performance but never looked like losing. In the final and still don't know whether we're serious contenders...

Probably one of the most unusual runs to an all Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Job done

Probably one of the most unusual runs to an all Ireland final.

Maybe comparable to Down fluking their way to a final in 2010 and very nearly winning it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i still think that is no bad place to be in , on too many occasions in the past mayo have entered all ireland finals on the back of some impressive performances which carried a level of expectancy , all the pressure is now on the winner of next weeks game

people are also talking too much about tipperarys status of a division 3 team , the fact is they are a product of one of the best underage structures in the country and were on in a semi final today on merit and are probably every bit as good as any team from the bottom half of division 1 downwards , i think todays win is better then what ye will be credited for

from a mayo point of view it surely must be seen now as a no pressure situation heading into the all ireland with a point to prove rather then an expectancy tag applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

km79 wrote: »
    Job done

Exactly.
    Semi finals are all about winning. End of.

We move on.

I must say I love the feeling when we're first in the final and get to watch the other two hopefully batter the hell out of each other.
    An exciting month ahead no doubt.

Awaits the bleeding hearts "I've been to every game this year but can't get a ticket for the final " posts ;)
    A LOT of people jumped ship this year after the Galway game . I know quite a few. Theu can stay at home . Sure it's on rte for twin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That was a strange performance, and I don`t just mean the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fair play lads
    Ye had 4 epic semis in last 2 years, drawing 2 and losing the other 2, I'd say ye more than deserve to stumble into a final
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pidge.

Awaits the bleeding hearts "I've been to every game this year but can't get a ticket for the final " posts ;)
    A LOT of people jumped ship this year after the Galway game . I know quite a few. Theu can stay at home . Sure it's on rte for twin anyway

I boarded ship after the Galway game (pac) not a hooooope of me getting a final ticket though! :p

• Advertisement

"Jaysus Joe. It's not fair."

Can't wait for Liveline tomorrow*

*I will not be listening to Liveline tomorrow.

ProudDUB wrote:
    What the hell is wrong with you? The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

It was all I had. Young lads had other plans with his food. Ended up in standard gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good to get the expected win and look forward to the final.

This display was exactly like the Kildare and Westmeath ones.
    10 mins blitz, game in the bag, take the foot off/lose focus/conserve energy(delete as required).

At no point did I think they would lose.

Dublin or Kerry will be a different story.
    Personally I'd fancy our chances v Kerry, they have been as bad as Mayo all year.
    Against Dublin though everything would have to go right, which is a big ask.

However the Tyrone game had shown us that this team can adapt and I'm sure they will put a lot of work in preparing for the final.

Great to be going to a final again, and let's not apologise for getting excited about it in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cartman78 wrote: »
    On the train from Limerick now...having a clear run at the day :-)

There's actually a surprising amount of Tipp fans on board....I may have to stay incognito until we get to Dublin.

Update :

On the way home on a Limerick bound via Thurles train ...Tipp fans not so cocky now...I'm tempted to start up a few lines of "Sam Maguire's coming home to Mayo" but not quite drunk enough or confident enough after our underwhelming win today.

Not sure what to make of our performance tbh...we're either playing within ourselves /peaking or simply not good enough.

Now sure what to make of that performance.Are we playing within ourselves or simply not good enough?

I'm as always going to enjoy the buildup to another All Ireland final irrespective of what the begrudgers would wish.

Yes we're fully aware we're going to be rank outsiders in said final but we will not put up the white flag just yet.No Mayo supporter believes that we are deserving of a sympathy All Ireland,just setting the record straight.If we finally end the famine in a month's time,it will be on merit and I will so happy for above all this bunch of lads who have been such a credit to the county.

Great credit to Tipp,great support and a great future lies ahead.Hope you win the hurling,the cats have won quite enough.

Very good win for Galway in the minors,pretty impressive.

More in depth post re the match tomorrow after enjoying a few celebratory drinks in the capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There is a horrid amount of Sh!te being talked over on the match thread. A win is a win and we live to fight another day. Apologise to no one about how we got here. And celebrate any way you see fit.

There is a horrid amount of Sh!te being talked over on the match thread. A win is a win and we live to fight another day. Apologise to no one about how we got here. And celebrate any way you see fit.

I love that we aren't everyone's second team anymore
    apologise to no one
    UP MAYO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Serious work needed but it's great to be in a final all the same. It's fairly worrying that we're still giving away soft frees. We were poor against Tryone and possibly worse today. It was a strenght in previous years but we just seem to have lost the art of it. I'm not sure you regain that in a few weeks, it has to be engrained throughout the year.

If I was wishful, I would say that we've turned it on in patches when needed. But I haven't been optimistic all year and I'm really not sure if we've got it in the locker to go toe to toe with Kerry or Dublin for 70-75 mins. It will be one hell of a step up. It's not that I don't think it's within them, it's just hard to imagine it's there with the way the year is gone.

I really hope it's the Dubs in the Final, even though they're massive favourites, I think going full throttle and hoping everything goes right is our best chance rather than a more tactical game vs Kerry.

One major positive from this year is that our strenght in depth has improved immensely. There are lads coming off the bench and making impacts. That is something both Dublin and Kerry have had over us for a while.

Very flat second half, at the stage when there was 2 or 3 points in it I thought that Tipp might get a goal, a sloppy goal then Mayo got one and it was game over.
    COC was off form today . Andy Moran was great, more or less what we'd been saying about him, linking up, support play etc.
    I think the hard tackling from the experienced Mayo players took a lot out of Tipp. Some will need to develop that toughness that comes with age.

Barry Moran's positioning was very effective imo not exactly a sweeper but it really worked out well, he's done that job before, apart from contesting kickouts he was in a defensive position that he rarely left, much more defensive and solid than KMc in his attacking sweeper role IMO as kerry or Dublin will / would catch him out up the field.

I'm still a a loss as to how some Mayo people are thinking that playing us is preferable than playing Kerry as things stand.

Ignoring history for a second if I was Mayo I would be dying to play Kerry.

In one foul swoop you could kill the curse, kill the hoodoo and win an all Ireland. Be like us in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

A win is a win and today's performance will keep their feet on the ground. Thought Andy Moran was absolutely brilliant in the first half. He's very important to our chances of winning the big one. Fair play to Tipp and their great support too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm still a a loss as to how some Mayo people are thinking that playing us is preferable than playing Kerry as things stand.

In one foul swoop you could kill the curse, kill the hoodoo and win an all Ireland. Be like us in 2011.

I'd much prefer a cracking at Kerry, would love to get one over them.

I agree

I'd much prefer a cracking at Kerry, would love to get one over them.

The sweetest victory is a victory over that shower.

I would glady carry some Kerry baggage if we had an AI in the bag.

I think we're better suited to playing Dublin, in what would on paper be an "all out" game. We don't really suit a slower, more tactical affair that on paper, a game with Kerry would bring imo.

(And then there's just the pure fear of losing to Kerry....when we might give ourselves a chance versus going into Dublin expecting very little.)

(And then there's the fact that my wife is from Kerry)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Inexperience,youth,and a bad referee cost Tipperary the win today imo.to be honest I expected a lot more quality football out of a battle hardened experienced division 1 Mayo team as some of the posters on here call them.2 very bad referee decisions made against tipp not to mention several probable frees not given.keegan was hanging out of lads all day but got away with it.ref wouldn't let the game flow at any stage calling back all frees and not allowing anything fast and flowing.thought Andy Moran played a cracker to be fair pity he has the mileage on the clock.the rest of the Mayo team looked flat and half hearted.cant see any threat here for Dublin or Kerry.here comes the Mayo for Sam brigade now anyway.gotta go.ha

PARlance wrote: »
    I would glady carry some Kerry baggage if we had an AI in the bag.

I think we're better suited to playing Dublin, in what would on paper be an "all out" game. We don't really suit a slower, more tactical affair that on paper, a game with Kerry would bring imo.

(And then there's just the pure fear of losing to Kerry....when we might give ourselves a chance versus going into Dublin expecting very little.)

(And then there's the fact that my wife is from Kerry)

Again, how would a game against Kerry be more "tactical"? If there's one thing that has been absent from Kerry this year it's tactics! They just don't seem to have any definitive plan.

Whereas we do.

There's a some serious delusion if you think we'll go "toe-to-toe" with anyone. The patience in our team is second-to-none. Did ya see the Donegal game?

The consensus is very much that we'd much prefer to face Kerry.

seligehgit wrote: »
    The consensus is very much that we'd much prefer to face Kerry.

Perhaps. But there have been some odd posts from your cohort today expressing a preference for one-in-row Superteam Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Inexperience,youth,and a bad referee cost Tipperary the win today imo.to be honest I expected a lot more quality football out of a battle hardened experienced division 1 Mayo team as some of the posters on here call them.2 very bad referee decisions made against tipp not to mention several probable frees not given.keegan was hanging out of lads all day but got away with it.ref wouldn't let the game flow at any stage calling back all frees and not allowing anything fast and flowing.thought Andy Moran played a cracker to be fair pity he has the mileage on the clock.the rest of the Mayo team looked flat and half hearted.cant see any threat here for Dublin or Kerry.here comes the Mayo for Sam brigade now anyway.gotta go.ha

sounds like you ordered a smokie backon burger from supermacs and expected a free bottle of champagne in the process

Tipp are a descent side, mayo were in a no win situation today and probably the same will apply the next day for diffrent reasons but they still have a great chance of unseating the odds

Again, how would a game against Kerry be more "tactical"? If there's one thing that has been absent from Kerry this year it's tactics! They just don't seem to have any definitive plan.

Whereas we do.

There's a some serious delusion if you think we'll go "toe-to-toe" with anyone. The patience in our team is second-to-none. Did ya see the Donegal game?

I did see the Donegal game but Donegal doesn't come into it. Recent games against Dublin have tended to be fairly open, sometimes frantic games.

I would fancy our chances more against ye. It's my opinion and sorry if that's too hard to take ;) Most of us would prefer Kerry I'm sure, so you're still great and will win the AI at a canter.

I did see the Donegal game but Donegal doesn't come into it. Recent games against Dublin have tended to be fairly open, sometimes frantic games.

I would fancy our chances more against ye. It's my opinion and sorry if that's too hard to take ;) Most of us wouldn't so you're still great and will win the AI at a canter.

This is just madness.

Hearty congratulations to Mayo today. Hope you can now smash that glass ceiling and bring home Sam Maguire. Needless to say improvements are needed as a more experienced side would have troubled you today, but its better for you to go in with little expectation anyway because a wrote off Mayo is a dangerous one and in Rachford they have a man who has prepared a winning All ireland team in Croke park already in Corofin so he may know how to calm nerves on the day of the final

We broke a glass ceiling of our own today in reaching our first semi final in 81 years....lets hope it comes as an inspiration to you. You have absolutely terrific support who deserve to taste All ireland success

This is just madness.

And I could turn that around and say it's madness to be treating Kerry with disregard in August.

And I could turn that around and say it's madness to be treating Kerry with disregard in August.

I treated them with disregard last September as well and that went swimmingly.

They have done nothing since that game last September to warrant anything other than that. They've been brutal and are merely at this stage due to a geographical quirk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I treated them with disregard last September as well and that went swimmingly.

They have done nothing since that game last September to warrant anything other than that. They've been brutal and are merely at this stage due to a geographical quirk.

It took Dublin a bloody long time to put Donegal away. If my memory serves me correct there was only a point or 2 in it going in to injury time. And Donegal were poor. Never write off Kerry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not a great 70 minute performance, took it us ages to get going but then blitzed them in that 15 minute window. Many said after the Galway game we were gone, I'm sure none of them would have seen us in an AI final.
    Moran experiment worked and cut out the threat at the back. Andy had a fine game, took some lovely scores. DOC and COC weren't their usual self for some reason, but still worked well.
    AOS had a fine game, lots of work and worked as hard as I've seen him. Defence was solid, 2 goals conceded in total championship, so thats a positive.
    Black and red cards were harsh, though Coldrick gave them at least 5 frees where 3 of them were blatant slips and 2 were dives. But thats what we expect anymore.
    Listening to the media and on here, we dont have a hope, not even worth going. Lads seem to forget the games where were totally written off and yet we still pulled out a win. As for them battering Mayo..... if thats what you believe then lol to that.

yop wrote: »
    Moran experiment worked and cut out the threat at the back.

Yes Tipp never had a sniff of a goal did they? Suppose it would be too much to hope for the same against Dublin or Kerry...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Always the bridesmaid never the bride.

More misery and tears on the way!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes Tipp never had a sniff of a goal did they? Suppose it would be too much to hope for the same against Dublin or Kerry...

Definitely wont be the case. Tipp had their chances, took a sliding tackle of sorts from Clarke to stop them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement