Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

km79 wrote: »
    Ger Caff "I don't think I've ever expressed an opinion on twitter before #mayogaa https://t.co/BVXfyWin8S"
    Wants club games postponed

Well I'll take my opinion back then, if the players feel they need to be cancelled then they shouldn't be sent back to their clubs with that attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

PARlance wrote: »
    Well I'll take my opinion back then, if the players feel they need to be cancelled then they shouldn't be sent back to their clubs with that attitude.

David Brady also strongly in the cancel camp
    Interesting
    I think they all sense we have one last chance at this ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Club games should be postponed, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I actually thought that it was a wind up when I heard that it was going on? Every County player is not just a target, they themselves always feel a pressure to play better for their clubs, they will be playing with friends, brothers, cousins..... family will be watching from the sidelines, they will want to perform, to be the difference for their club and parish. They are the county players, they will not hold back, they will want to be the difference, there is always more expectation to stand out when you play for your club.

The real negative for me though is the bad feeling that the players will have towards the county board ! They are not by all accounts fans of the board I would say, they would want support from them and not be feeling that they have to play these games against their preference.

I would not be a fan of players deciding who the manager should be, but I would wholeheartedly support them if they got to an All Ireland Final and did not want to play a championship club match before the final. It should be a squad decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Peist2007 wrote: »
    That's the risk that has to be taken. You cant cancel the club championship until the all ireland championship ends. Doesnt seem to affect Kilkenny and there will be some tasty games at training over the next few weeks as players from 16-30 in the panel stake their claims

Well maybe when we start winning AI's every year then we can afford to follow Kilkenny's example :rolleyes:
    martyos121 wrote: »
    I can't imagine any of our country players getting rough treatment on the pitch from other clubs in Mayo when they have the chance to bring home our first AI title in 65 years. If they get injured from something innocuous, well the same could happen in training sure.

Very naive

martyos121 wrote: »
    The GAA doesn't come to a screeching halt for four weeks between a semi final and the final. Every one of those lads know it and so do all the fans. If they get injured, they get injured, but Dublin and Kerry have club fixtures too and there's every chance the same could happen to them.

We've had a bit of luck this year, may it continue with the help of god. :D

Not sure what the situation in Kerry is but afaik no cship games have been played in Dublin since April and wont be till their cship run is over, though i stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No Championship in Kerry for the last six weeks or so, and not a hope in life there would be any played before the county team finish up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Brusna wrote:
    No, it's the final round of the group stage so all senior and intermediate teams have a game.

True I stand corrected, some teams are already through is what I should have said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

keane2097 wrote: »
    No Championship in Kerry for the last six weeks or so, and not a hope in life there would be any played before the county team finish up.

Yup ditto in Dublin - nothing since the last week of April

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Well maybe when we start winning AI's every year then we can afford to follow Kilkenny's example :rolleyes:

Very naive

A lot of lads and girls on this thread who have never played adult club football.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yup ditto in Dublin - nothing since the last week of April

A complete joke in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

My comparison of the league for Mayo v Tipp was in the context that Tipp had never been to the same level as Mayo have been in the league, it showed

Kerry played a very settled team after they lost their first two league games
    But they were shown to be very off Dublin in the final.
    That team has changed slightly but not dramatically in some areas.

As for the Kerry beat Tipp far more convincing than Mayo did I'll refer you to the Tipp beat Galway and Mayo lost to Galway argument

You have used more than Tipp for league comparisons in championship match up on here. I understand the league standings of both and experience gain but what exactly did it show? for long spells on Sunday you couldn't tell which was the Div 1 side as Tipp played most of the football. It was a case of goals wins games on this occasion, The first Mayo goal was against the run of play the other came out of nothing either a miss hit shot that fell kindly to Conor O Shea.

Take away those goals and all Mayo scored was 0-13 which wasn't much better than the total scored against Galway in June. The margin of victory flattered Mayo on Sunday IMO and Mayo in their form of recent years would have beaten Tipp by a similar margin to what Kerry beat them in this years Munster final

Kerry do that every year in the league. Start off experimenting and look to finish the league with a settled team. The final against Dublin was 0-15 to 0-13 with 63 minutes played. Dublin finished strongly when Kerry had tired were down to 14.

On the last "argument" prior to the Munster final Tipp beat Div 1 Cork and if Cork had played Galway in the Quarter final they probably would have beaten Galway also and you claim Kerry have played as bad as Mayo have ths year but i highly doubt Kerry would have lost at home to Galway this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You have used more than Tipp for league comparisons in championship match up on here. I understand the league standings of both and experience gain but what exactly did it show? for long spells on Sunday you couldn't tell which was the Div 1 side as Tipp played most of the football. It was a case of goals wins games on this occasion, The first Mayo goal was against the run of play the other came out of nothing either a miss hit shot that fell kindly to Conor O Shea.

Take away those goals and all Mayo scored was 0-13 which wasn't much better than the total scored against Galway in June
    . The margin of victory flattered Mayo on Sunday IMO and Mayo in their form of recent years would have beaten Tipp by a similar margin to what Kerry beat them in this years Munster final

Kerry do that every year in the league. Start off experimenting and look to finish the league with a settled team. The final against Dublin was 0-15 to 0-13 with 63 minutes played. Dublin finished strongly when Kerry had tired were down to 14.

On the last "argument" prior to the Munster final Tipp beat Div 1 Cork and if Cork had played Galway in the Quarter final they probably would have beaten Galway also and you claim Kerry have played as bad as Mayo have ths year but i highly doubt Kerry would have lost at home to Galway this summer.

But you can't take the two goals away, regardless of how they were scored.
    I'm sure if they were not scoreded when they were scored then they would have been scored some other time.
    McLaughlin for example missed a chance straight after the first goal.

Yes the Mayo team of 2013 would have probably won by more, but this is not the Mayo team of 2013 and its been discussed here that one reason for that is that they have become more defensive.

As for Kerry I fail to see how they could be regarded as much better than Mayo.

A bit like trying to wipe Mayos goals from last weeks score card you are trying to wipe the fact that Kerry were down to 14 and out of puff v Dublin in the last 10 minutes of the league final.

Thats why they are not much better than Mayo, they are old and slow compared to what they were.

I've just rewatched the game and I have only one comment.

Tommy Carr is an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Club Games have been postponed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

But it has been pointed out time and time again since 2011 that Mayo have been far to open at the back, and the new manager wish list back last September included a "defensive minded, tactically aware" guy.

On the face of it this is what Rochford has delivered.

He deployed a sweeper, he changed the game plan for Tyrone, he stuck with the game plan for Tyrone, he used Barry Moran as a full back to negate Tipps high ball to the forwards.

Whether or not they can win the final is another thing, but you cannot ignore that Rochford ytried to address the biggest weakness Mayo have had.

Three goals conceded this campaign, Clarke has also helped this but I'd be curious to know how many goal chances they are giving up compared to previous years.

I'd hold back on the defensive praise until after the AI final. When Mayo reached the 2012 final i recall similar praise for stopping Dublin from scoring a goal in the semi final and on route to the 2013 AI final i think only one goal was conceded by Mayo a quickly taken McFadden free kick in the quarter final hammering of Donegal. Was said at the time that Mayo had learnt their lessons in defence but Dublin still scored two match winning goals in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I've just rewatched the game and I have only one comment.

Tommy Carr is an ass

Ya it was a bit of a cringefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Stryderman wrote: »
    Club Games have been postponed

Excellent, it's just too risky. Let them focus on what they have to do next month. Fair play to Ger Cafferkey and Dave Brady for putting focus onto it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Shame for the clubs but let's get our priorities 100% straight, this team and this county need an All-Ireland. Simple as, and by not risking players we will hopefully be better for it. Even if we lose at least we'll have used common sense in our preps.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Statement from Mayo GAA

Joint statement from Mayo GAA Board & Senior Team Management
    Following discussions since Mayo’s victory over Tipperary in last Sunday’s All-Ireland SFC semi-final, it has been decided to postpone next weekend’s round of Mayo SFC games. All IFC games will go ahead as scheduled except the following which involve members of the Mayo senior panel: Bohola Moy Davitts v Swinford; Westport v Shrule/Glencorrib; and Belmullet v Burrishoole.
    This has not been an easy decision for all concerned as we were faced with a Catch 22 situation. Everyone involved in Mayo GAA wishes to support the senior football team as effectively as we can in the run-up to September 18 – and, equally, everyone is fully aware of the impact a postponement at such late notice will have on club players and managements.
    However, after carefully considering the various issues involved, and acknowledging that there was no simple solution, we feel that the best interests of Mayo football will be served on this occasion by postponing the above games so that the team can prepare for the All-Ireland final.
    The primary reason for doing so is to allow the team the four weeks of preparation between now and the final so that they can represent all of us in optimum condition on September 18. We hope all Mayo GAA people will understand the well-founded motivation for our decision and rally around the team for the next few weeks.
    It is proposed to now hold the next round of SFC games on the weekend after the All-Ireland final (Sept. 24/25th). The IFC games mentioned above will also go ahead on that weekend also.
    The quarter finals in both the SFC & IFC championship will go ahead on 1/2nd October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Fair play to the county board. Things are really lining up nicely and dunno why but I am going to enjoy the next 4 weeks strongly believing that sam will be coming back to mayo in the not to distant future!

• Advertisement

I'd hold back on the defensive praise until after the AI final. When Mayo reached the 2012 final i recall similar praise for stopping Dublin from scoring a goal in the semi final and on route to the 2013 AI final i think only one goal was conceded by Mayo a quickly taken McFadden free kick in the quarter final hammering of Donegal. Was said at the time that Mayo had learnt their lessons in defence but Dublin still scored two match winning goals in the final.

No one is suggesting that it's the magic bullet,but another poster seemed to be bemoaning the fact that Mayo are not as aggressive going forward.

My opinion is that it's this more tactical approach that may be helping Mayo,and it's a lack of tactics that Mayo have been criticized for in years gone by

tacofries wrote: »
    Fair play to the county board. Things are really lining up nicely and dunno why but I am going to enjoy the next 4 weeks strongly believing that sam will be coming back to mayo in the not to distant future!

Yes it's good that it has been sorted pretty quickly, it could have been something that dragged and started a whole new county board v county team debate when it was not required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Statement from Mayo GAA

Joint statement from Mayo GAA Board & Senior Team Management
    Following discussions since Mayo’s victory over Tipperary in last Sunday’s All-Ireland SFC semi-final, it has been decided to postpone next weekend’s round of Mayo SFC games. All IFC games will go ahead as scheduled except the following which involve members of the Mayo senior panel: Bohola Moy Davitts v Swinford; Westport v Shrule/Glencorrib; and Belmullet v Burrishoole.
    This has not been an easy decision for all concerned as we were faced with a Catch 22 situation. Everyone involved in Mayo GAA wishes to support the senior football team as effectively as we can in the run-up to September 18 – and, equally, everyone is fully aware of the impact a postponement at such late notice will have on club players and managements.
    However, after carefully considering the various issues involved, and acknowledging that there was no simple solution, we feel that the best interests of Mayo football will be served on this occasion by postponing the above games so that the team can prepare for the All-Ireland final.
    The primary reason for doing so is to allow the team the four weeks of preparation between now and the final so that they can represent all of us in optimum condition on September 18. We hope all Mayo GAA people will understand the well-founded motivation for our decision and rally around the team for the next few weeks.
    It is proposed to now hold the next round of SFC games on the weekend after the All-Ireland final (Sept. 24/25th). The IFC games mentioned above will also go ahead on that weekend also.
    The quarter finals in both the SFC & IFC championship will go ahead on 1/2nd October.

Joke of a decision.

Us club players haven't been able to take holidays all summer, played one championship game at the beginning of May and one at the end of June, and now nothing until the end of September. Three months between championship games at the group stage. What's the point?

And now we probably can't even have a pint on All Ireland final weekend!!! Well I hope everyone else enjoys the weekend, because there's not much in it for us any more.

Next year will be worse if they go with that group stage stuff - guaranteed not to be playing games for July and August next year too.

That'll be it for me now anyway, can't justify travelling home and putting off holidays or stag weekends or whatever for club football any more. Congrats to the GAA on turning football into an elite level sport, they couldn't care less about the rest of us.

Blud wrote: »
    Joke of a decision.

Us club players haven't been able to take holidays all summer, played one championship game at the beginning of May and one at the end of June, and now nothing until the end of September. Three months between championship games at the group stage. What's the point?

And now we probably can't even have a pint on All Ireland final weekend!!! Well I hope everyone else enjoys the weekend, because there's not much in it for us any more.

Next year will be worse if they go with that group stage stuff - guaranteed not to be playing games for July and August next year too.

That'll be it for me now anyway, can't justify travelling home and putting off holidays or stag weekends or whatever for club football any more. Congrats to the GAA on turning football into an elite level sport, they couldn't care less about the rest of us.

I think it may have reached a stage where in the future games will regularly have to go ahead without county players
    That's also unfair but at least the majority of club players get regular game time ?
    Would that be better do have think ?

I think it may have reached a stage where in the future games will regularly have to go ahead without county players
    That's also unfair but at least the majority of club players get regular game time ?

I think that would make an even bigger farce of the Club Championship. If you did that, you're pretty much at the stage then were a County player is just that and ceases to become a Club Player. They already sit out most of the League games.

Something needs to change in the "stonger counties" at least, be it their Club championship or a newly restructured (more compact) AI Championship. You will begin to lose Club players if this carries on.

PARlance wrote: »
    I think that would make an even bigger farce of the Club Championship. If you did that, you're pretty much at the stage then were a County player is just that and ceases to become a Club Player. They already sit out most of the League games.

Something needs to change in the "stonger counties" at least, be it their Club championship or a newly restructured (more compact) AI Championship. You will begin to lose Club players if this carries on.
    that's what I think the proposed new AI system is an absolute farce
    MORE games in July /August !
    Who does that benefit...........more money for the GAA
    I agree with all you say but with those extra games every summer will now be gone for teams who progress to group stages.
    Individual counties can restructure their own championships BUT then us have the provincial ones as well......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

km79 wrote:
    I think it may have reached a stage where in the future games will regularly have to go ahead without county players That's also unfair but at least the majority of club players get regular game time ? Would that be better do have think ?

The Rugby provinces do it when the internationals are called up. Seems to work okay. Can seem a bit unfair sometimes. But at least the clubs will get their games and players can plan their lives with a bit more certainty

The Rugby provinces do it when the internationals are called up. Seems to work okay. Can seem a bit unfair sometimes. But at least the clubs will get their games and players can plan their lives with a bit more certainty
    The way things are going I can't see any other way around it
    More games for county players when the new AI system starts

While similar, it's very different too and a worrying comparison. Club rugby in Ireland is more or less dead from what I see. It died when full time professionalism was brought in and County football in stronger counties is pretty much all that bar the name these days.

The provinces can buy in players to have these positions covered. Would we see decent county players from the likes of Leitrim and Sligo being offered Jobs/expenses etc in Mayo to bolster club squads? An extreme example but I don't think it's completely unrealistic if Clubs were backed into a corner.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be ideal for the bigger clubs with a few county players, but it's better than the rubbish we have this year.

Here's a question - Mayo's last league game this year was 3 April, and first championship game v London was 29 May. Exclude the week before the London game and there were 6 Sundays there between those games. Why was the group stage of the championship not played off then?

If it was done then, you would have the full summer where the league could be played every Saturday evening without county players, lads having a full summer of football and happy days for everyone. Too simple a solution for those in charge?

It wouldn't be ideal for the bigger clubs with a few county players, but it's better than the rubbish we have this year.

Here's a question - Mayo's last league game this year was 3 April, and first championship game v London was 29 May. Exclude the week before the London game and there were 6 Sundays there between those games. Why was the group stage of the championship not played off then?

If it was done then, you would have the full summer where the league could be played every Saturday evening without county players, lads having a full summer of football and happy days for everyone. Too simple a solution for those in charge?

Very good suggestion
    Champ knockouts would then run into provincials as well
    Although mayo didn't make league semi and final this year
    Anyway it all needs to be streamlined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yes for the Pro 12, which is probably their equivalent of the league, it doesnt happen for the european cup, their equivalent of the cship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Was very worried about upcoming club games. Glad to see they've postponed them, pity it wasnt thought about earlier in the year and club matches played then. Cant be that difficult to organise in advance of the season.

Billy Joe Padden on mayo podcast is worth listening too on the matter
    Basically said the same as Caff and David Brady
    Roch would lose more than just week with them due to knock on effects of injuries etc from club games
    would not only lose the advantage of the extra week but would it fact put ourselves at a disadvantage to Gavin/Fitzmaurice who would have had players right through to final
    I think the fact that we have reached a fair few finals in recent years is skewing our view on it
    It's an AI final. We have not won it since 1951 . We should be leaving no stone unturned .

Billy Joe Padden on mayo podcast is worth listening too on the matter
    Basically said the same as Caff and David Brady
    Roch would lose more than just week with them due to knock on effects of injuries etc from club games
    would not only lose the advantage of the extra week but would it fact put ourselves at a disadvantage to Gavin/Fitzmaurice who would have had players right through to final
    I think the fact that we have reached a fair few finals in recent years is skewing our view on it
    It's an AI final. We have not won it since 1951 . We should be leaving no stone unturned .

With all due respect to all involved, I don't care what BJ Padden, Brady or Cafferkey have to say on the matter. They are only looking at this from the perspective of the elite.

When it comes to us playing club football, I also don't care that Mayo haven't won an All Ireland since '51. It's irrelevant.

Leaving no stone unturned is a lovely little catchphrase, sounds great. If it involves disbanding club football altogether until we win an All Ireland, then why not fire ahead with that too?

There s zero reason why the club championship can't be held Saturday evening so that the Mayo squad can do a recovery together on Sunday morning followed by watching the other semi together. No reason whatsoever.

Still, much easier to just scrap the club games - at least those pesky club players won't be asked their opinions in the mainstream media like the Padden, Brady and Cafferkey, so what's to lose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

With all due respect to all involved, I don't care what BJ Padden, Brady or Cafferkey have to say on the matter. They are only looking at this from the perspective of the elite.

When it comes to us playing club football, I also don't care that Mayo haven't won an All Ireland since '51. It's irrelevant.

Leaving no stone unturned is a lovely little catchphrase, sounds great. If it involves disbanding club football altogether until we win an All Ireland, then why not fire ahead with that too?

There s zero reason why the club championship can't be held Saturday evening so that the Mayo squad can do a recovery together on Sunday morning followed by watching the other semi together. No reason whatsoever.

Still, much easier to just scrap the club games - at least those pesky club players won't be asked their opinions in the mainstream media like the Padden, Brady and Cafferkey, so what's to lose?

Seriously?? I think you are on the wrong thread...

I can see your POV as well don't get me wrong
    Ideally no games would have been fixed at all between semi and final and club players could have planned holidays etc BUT imagine how that would have looked before Tipp game !
    It's a very tricky situation and I think in the end the CB have come up with a fairly acceptable compromise
    Now personally I would probably have left the games off for a further week........what happens in the event of a draw ? Games cancelled again
    and either way in the event of win/lose the players deserve a while to let off steam

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Speaking of the possibility of a draw...if it was to end in a draw when would the replay take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

glack wrote: »
    Speaking of the possibility of a draw...if it was to end in a draw when would the replay take place?

Replay is down for Saturday 1st October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

glack wrote: »

I would have assumed the Saturday fortnight?

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    Seriously?? I think you are on the wrong thread...

Either you ignored the context of the sentence (i.e. "When it comes to us playing club football"), or you need to work on basic reading comprehension.

Either way, your attitude is indicative of why the county board can get away with shafting the club players yet again.

This is the Mayo GAA Discussion thread. There is more to Mayo GAA than the Mayo senior football team.

Or at least there used to be, before they got this bizarre cult hero worship that they currently enjoy/suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Either you ignored the context of the sentence (i.e. "When it comes to us playing club football"), or you need to work on basic reading comprehension.

Either way, your attitude is indicative of why the county board can get away with shafting the club players yet again.

This is the Mayo GAA Discussion thread. There is more to Mayo GAA than the Mayo senior football team.

Or at least there used to be, before they got this bizarre cult hero worship that they currently enjoy/suffer.

Mayo always had a hardcore support, it has increased with the Horan era but it was always there, no denying that.

The County Board deserve credit for making the correct decision. It certainly has put out some club players but a lot will also understand. Either way, no choice no but to get on with it. There's an All-Ireland to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah god forbid we'd support our county and the lads that represent it who give it their all everytime they take to the pitch. You're accusing people of not thinking about club football when you're completely looking past inter-county competition yourself.

There's more than enough chat here about club matches when the time is right for it but why on earth would you expect it to be a major topic of conversation at this time of year? The few club players I know aren't too concerned with when or how they'll play in their own matches, they know it's time to support the lads who wear the county colours.

Shame for the clubs but let's get our priorities 100% straight, this team and this county need an All-Ireland. Simple as, and by not risking players we will hopefully be better for it. Even if we lose at least we'll have used common sense in our preps.

Common sense? Our final opponents are playing a higher intensity fixture at the same time as the now postponed club games would have been played.

Anyone here played 6 club senior league games in November? I have. Not a lot of people there watching with even some of my clubmates at home watching Man Utd like the rest of Mayo Gaa's staunch support. I found it hard to blame my clubmates who werent there though. Some of them had played hundreds of games of backs and forwards since we commenced training the previous December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Drop the attitude bud...My reading comp is excellent. How come all of a sudden this is such an important issue for you? You only signed up a couple of days ago!

Joke of a decision.

I retired from club at 28. Just realised there was more to life than travelling west from dublin every weekend to play backs and forwards.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Drop the attitude bud...My reading comp is excellent. How come all of a sudden this is such an important issue for you? You only signed up a couple of days ago!

Why would you assume that this is only an important issue for me since my sign up date on here? That's an odd assumption to make.

I'm playing senior football for the club for 9 years now. I'm not much good, but I enjoy it. It see,s now though that there is no longer a GAA that caters for players like me. Are all of you happy with this being the way GAA is going forward?

It's not exactly the community focused organisation it claims to be, is it? How can it be when the focus is clearly on the elite to the detriment of everyone else?

The point is that the demise of club football is the single biggest issue facing the GAA, something that is recognised by the GAA themselves. The majority on here don't seem to see this, but there's a few of us at least that can discuss the issue without taking the 'county team or nothing' type approach.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    A lot of lads and girls on this thread who have never played adult club football.

This is the truest post on this thread. I'd say there's a fair few that haven't been to too many club games either.

I can see your POV as well don't get me wrong
    Ideally no games would have been fixed at all between semi and final and club players could have planned holidays etc BUT imagine how that would have looked before Tipp game !
    It's a very tricky situation and I think in the end the CB have come up with a fairly acceptable compromise
    Now personally I would probably have left the games off for a further week........what happens in the event of a draw ? Games cancelled again
    and either way in the event of win/lose the players deserve a while to let off steam

When you say 'fairly acceptable compromise', what do you mean? How is cancelling the club games a compromise?

When you say 'fairly acceptable compromise', what do you mean? How is cancelling the club games a compromise?

They cancelled only games involving county players instead of allowing all to go ahead /cancelling all .
    I would say that's a compromise wouldn't you ?
    That's my last post on the matter as I feel I've been fair And have said I can see both points of view but you just seem to want an argument .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement