Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Blud wrote: »
    When you say 'fairly acceptable compromise', what do you mean? How is cancelling the club games a compromise?

Its the opposite of the "My way or the highway" approach that you seem to adopt.

http://www.elionline.com/res/ftpeli/resources/bestcommercialpractice/int/D2_W1_int.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

See the issue is that there is a run-off to this. My first cousin played in an All Ireland Under 21 Semi-Final for Mayo 4 or 5 years ago. An excellent player. Has since won championship honours with the club at senior level and was involved in the Sports Stars of the Year. He is now 25/26 and played a few games for the club this year. His reasons? Simply sick of the grind of training aimlessly for matches that never happen. Next year he will prob not play at all. Too few games or too many (playing off 8 or 9 games in Nov / Dec). Not in the Mayo Senior squad so forgotten and irrelevant.

Now the issue there is that the "grind" becomes an ever more valid reason to call it quits. I quit at 28 (six years ago) and the numbers since who simply cannot be arsed to go through the hell that is club training if they are being messed around re fixtures has only increased. I recall giving Radiohead / Beck tickets to a mate with me sat at home (almost crying with anger actually, my most angry ever) on the day of the gig because the game was simply pulled and i was now at a loose end with no ticket.

Another point with club football is that not every club player is 22 with nothing but college holidays and labouring to think about. A lot of lads in their mid to late 20s and 30s have jobs, wives, girlfriends to think about. I know any dedicated club player in his 30s is juggling family holidays etc around championship and this crack of cancelling arbitrarily is simply unacceptable.

People bemoan the standards of football these days and how things in the past were different. I see a marked reduction in the quality of football with the advent of "professionalism". And if we keep ignoring our source of county players (our clubs), then standards will continue to fall.

Brian Cody releases Kilkenny players to play for their clubs a lot closer to championship than next weekend would be for us. Someone previously couldnt understand my reference. Look at the last 10 years of All Irelands and tell me who has it better? Kilkenny whose players play for their clubs or Tipp who favour a cotton wool approach? How has our own cotton wool approach worked for us in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Kalyke wrote: »
    Its the opposite of the "My way or the highway" approach that you seem to adopt.

You see, to me a compromise involves coming to an arrangement that, while not perfect to anyone, is relatively satisfactory to all parties when compared with the competing alternatives.

This 'compromise' involves us club players getting shafted at the last minute, again, for the sake of protecting the elite players for a game 3 weeks later. In return, we get the fixture refixed for the week after the All Ireland, which will mean that a) we can't have a few pints over All Ireland final weekend, b) while the county players are either celebrating or drowning their sorrows in the week after the final, we will be out training for the games on the 24th, c) the county players will be in no fit state to actually play those games in any case, win or lose in the final, and d) if it's a draw then the games get put back again to the 8th of October.

I'm not sure that's a compromise from my point of view. I'm also not sure how you can't seem to understand how that might frustrate me and a pile of other club players in Mayo.

km79 wrote: »
    They cancelled only games involving county players instead of allowing all to go ahead /cancelling all .
    I would say that's a compromise wouldn't you ?
    That's my last post on the matter as I feel I've been fair And have said I can see both points of view but you just seem to want an argument .

Apologies if that's how I've come across mate, I agree with a lot of the points you've made today, just frustrated with the conclusion that you, others on this thread and, clearly, the county board have come to. I'm sure you can understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Common sense? Our final opponents are playing a higher intensity fixture at the same time as the now postponed club games would have been played.

I do understand that but winning an All-Ireland (and get that monkey off our back) with a full panel/no injuries is what I'm thinking needs to be done first. Then we can look and hopefully proceed with showing considerable more respect to clubs/players in the future.

Some interesting posts today that have highlighted a lot of things to me regarding the club situation throughout the county. My own former club - an amalgamation - has considerable problems as well but that's for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

You see, to me a compromise involves coming to an arrangement that, while not perfect to anyone, is relatively satisfactory to all parties when compared with the competing alternatives.

This 'compromise' involves us club players getting shafted at the last minute, again, for the sake of protecting the elite players for a game 3 weeks later. In return, we get the fixture refixed for the week after the All Ireland, which will mean that a) we can't have a few pints over All Ireland final weekend, b) while the county players are either celebrating or drowning their sorrows in the week after the final, we will be out training for the games on the 24th, c) the county players will be in no fit state to actually play those games in any case, win or lose in the final, and d) if it's a draw then the games get put back again to the 8th of October.

I'm not sure that's a compromise from my point of view. I'm also not sure how you can't seem to understand how that might frustrate me and a pile of other club players in Mayo.

100% correct. It is an awful decision by the Mayo county board to postpone the club matches & shows a despicable lack of respect to the clubs. If I was playing for one of those clubs, I would be very very annoyed so I can understand Blud's attitude.

One wonders what will happen if Mayo win the final regarding point c. Given the celebrations that Mayo will have, it is hard to see how the county players will be able to offer anything a few days later for their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

With all the discussion of club v county,here's an article echoing Blud's very understandable sentiments.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28444-mayo-club-player-slams-two-tier-system

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    With all the discussion of club v county,here's an article echoing Blud's very understandable sentiments.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28444-mayo-club-player-slams-two-tier-system

Potentially one of the same person I'd be thinking based on the post.

The issue is with Mayo GAA County board, not the players, so I think this "I don't care if Mayo don't win an AI" is childish and stinks of jealousy if you ask me.
    Your club has county reps, have you gone to them to bring it the County board?

This has been happening for decades, its not new, but yet we have lads moaning about it still. If your club gets out of Mayo and into Connacht or AI level club matches will you be on here moaning again? I think not.

Either go fix it or put up, this other BS about elitism or bandwagon fans is embarrassing. I have a level of sympathy, but this was an issue 20 years ago, time players went and fixed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I honestly can't believe this is even being discussed at any great length.

65 years people.

65 ****ing years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Did any one ask the players what they wanted?
    Like would any manager want to play there county players and be the reason that they get injured and miss the allireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The issue here isn't this weekends games, it's the fact that the County Board should have fixtures run off by now and it was a poor statement on their part to say 'win or lose there'll be championship this weekend'. There's no reason why the group stage of the championship can't have been done before the Galway game. April 3 was Mayo's last league tie, and they didn't play again until May 29. There is no reason why 3 rounds of championship couldn't be played in that time period. That would at least have half of the teams eliminated from competition (bar relegation sides - who could play during the summer if they had no county players) so people know where they stand going into the summer. Even if they had reached the NFL Division 1 final (April 24), they could have played 2 + 1 in the period after the game.

As for league games, play them during the summer without county players. It realistically means bugger all these days anyways when it no longer determines what grade you play championship at. Teams want to play higher up the leagues because it means they'll be testing themselves in preparation for championship and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

naughto wrote: »
    Did any one ask the players what they wanted?
    Like would any manager want to play there county players and be the reason that they get injured and miss the allireland.

Seems to me that Ger Caff's statement sums up how the players felt about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seems to me that Ger Caff's statement sums up how the players felt about it

I don't think it was a coincidence that it came from an injured player within the panel. He was free to make the statement and I would guess that he wasn't acting alone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Parlance, my point was that nothing has changed with the way fixtures are handled. Nothing to do with looking after players.

**For some reason your post has disappeared now, weird!

yop wrote: »
    Parlance, my point was that nothing has changed with the way fixtures are handled. Nothing to do with looking after players.

**For some reason your post has disappeared now, weird!

Having a nightmare on the phone / mobile site.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Having a nightmare on the phone / mobile site.

Haha, it appeared again, 1/2 posted, now its gone again! :) But I get your point. Or maybe I dont !:)

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe this is even being discussed at any great length.

65 years people.

65 ****ing years.

I have already cited Kilkenny as the prime example that disproves your point. Playing championship with the club next weekend will make bugger all difference. In fact, given the level of scrutiny these guys are under i would think a weekend of less intense club football could be quite a psychological boost.

Haha, it appeared again, 1/2 posted, now its gone again! :) But I get your point. Or maybe I dont !:)

Ah I give up. It kept posting mid post and eventually when I had it all down, it failed to post.

In short, I think the club players have every right to be annoyed. There's no comparison to 10, let alone 20 years ago. And there are many more that are rightly p*ssed off. From chatting to a handful, I would guess it's a majority that are.

Whilst it may have been poorly written, I think Bulb went on to explain the not caring about Mayo winning. And there's no denying that bandwagon fans are out there and I can empathise with a club player getting irate as he flicks through facebook etc and sees some of the people "campaiging" to get the games cancelled.

Yes the issue lies with the County Board, but players should kick up more of a fuss imo. It's the only way it'll get heard. I wouldn't have massive faith in club representatives doing the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I don't think it was a coincidence that it came from an injured player within the panel. He was free to make the statement and I would guess that he wasn't acting alone.

Aboslutely - I read that as being pretty much a statement by the entire senior panel, rather than being just Ger's opinion. Releasing the statement through Ger was a very clever way to do it actually, if they had released the same statement as being officially from the panel, it would have all kicked off again and could have been a disaster.

I don't play club football and the county team would be far more important to me than the club, but I can see where the club players are coming from to a point. These games should have been played earlier in the year, there was plenty of time before the London game.

However, whatever the flare up that has come out of this decision this week, it is nothing compared to what would happened if the games went ahead and even one first team player got an injury that ruled him out of the final. This way is far from ideal but it is the lesser of the two evils at this stage.

The one argument I really don't get is the Kilkenny hurling thing. It's easy to play club before a final when you've won 36 All Irelands and have the best panel of players in the country but it bears no relation to the position the Mayo football team are in.

The comparison of Kilkenny with Tipp isn't relevant either because it suggests that playing club games has been a benefit to Kilkenny when the reality is that, over the last 10 years, the reason Kilkenny have been more successful is that they have had a far better team most years, it has had nothing to do with playing club games. The Kilkenny example might be a good reason for Dublin to be playing club games the weekend after their semi-final, but it has no relevance to Mayo.

Ah I give up. It kept posting mid post and eventually when I had it all down, it failed to post.

In short, I think the club players have every right to be annoyed. There's no comparison to 10, let alone 20 years ago. And there are many more that are rightly p*ssed off. From chatting to a handful, I would guess it's a majority that are.

Whilst it may have been poorly written, I think Bulb went on to explain the not caring about Mayo winning. And there's no denying that bandwagon fans are out there and I can empathise with a club player getting irate as he flicks through facebook etc and sees some of the people "campaiging" to get the games cancelled.

Yes the issue lies with the County Board, but players should kick up more of a fuss imo. It's the only way it'll get heard. I wouldn't have massive faith in club representatives doing the job.

Ah your too young so! :) I remember in 89 when we had games lined up and the weekend before we played Tyrone in the semi and they were cancelled at short notice. The difference then was there was no internet (literally!)

But now there is a lot more social avenues to vent.

But again as you and I have both said, responsibility lies with the County board, but them idiots always expect people to beg at their feet.
    Players need to get this sorted as it will occur again and again.

• Advertisement

Ah your too young so! :) I remember in 89 when we had games lined up and the weekend before we played Tyrone in the semi and they were cancelled at short notice. The difference then was there was no internet (literally!)

But now there is a lot more social avenues to vent.

But again as you and I have both said, responsibility lies with the County board, but them idiots always expect people to beg at their feet.
    Players need to get this sorted as it will occur again and again.

I broke into it early but 89 would have been a stretch. Were there summer long drinking bans in 89? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I have already cited Kilkenny as the prime example that disproves your point. Playing championship with the club next weekend will make bugger all difference. In fact, given the level of scrutiny these guys are under i would think a weekend of less intense club football could be quite a psychological boost.

Quite possibly yes, however I'd rate the possibility of injuries to our better players as too big a risk to take with the final only a few weeks away.

How big of a hit would it be to be going into the biggest game of the year missing anyone of Keegan, O'Shea, O'Connor, Moran etc.?

Yes we have a decent bench but missing any of our key players would be would seriously impact our chances.

If we could win one then by all means re-structure the attitude/fixtures etc of the club games.

Hopefully it will happen.

I broke into it early but 89 would have been a stretch. Were there summer long drinking bans in 89? :)

I was underage.... ;) But definitely not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Aboslutely - I read that as being pretty much a statement by the entire senior panel, rather than being just Ger's opinion. Releasing the statement through Ger was a very clever way to do it actually, if they had released the same statement as being officially from the panel, it would have all kicked off again and could have been a disaster.

I don't play club football and the county team would be far more important to me than the club, but I can see where the club players are coming from to a point. These games should have been played earlier in the year, there was plenty of time before the London game.

However, whatever the flare up that has come out of this decision this week, it is nothing compared to what would happened if the games went ahead and even one first team player got an injury that ruled him out of the final. This way is far from ideal but it is the lesser of the two evils at this stage.

The one argument I really don't get is the Kilkenny hurling thing. It's easy to play club before a final when you've won 36 All Irelands and have the best panel of players in the country but it bears no relation to the position the Mayo football team are in.

The comparison of Kilkenny with Tipp isn't relevant either because it suggests that playing club games has been a benefit to Kilkenny when the reality is that, over the last 10 years, the reason Kilkenny have been more successful is that they have had a far better team most years, it has had nothing to do with playing club games. The Kilkenny example might be a good reason for Dublin to be playing club games the weekend after their semi-final, but it has no relevance to Mayo.

There is a rumour going around that Rochford wanted players to play this weekend (seems to be confirmed by his post Tipp match interviews when he spoke of players going back to clubs) as did Board but the big egos in the panel decided otherwise and forced Uturn by Roch and Board to preserve outward display of unity. If true the big egos are running the show and have seriously undermined the authority of Roch.

We could argue merits of competitive game time versus additional preparation time but at the end of the day decision should be managers and not panel and most definitely should not be a decision of minority big ego segment of panel.

Personally I think should have played this w.e. as nothing like competitive game time. Yes could be injuries but can also be injuries in training and internal matches and even in warm up on final day.

Kilkenny \ kerry win because nobody is bigger than the team and if somebody gets injured they dont panic as they have another panel members almost equally as good who can slot in. They don't have prima donnas on their panels.

Robeman wrote: »
    There is a rumour going around that Rochford wanted players to play this weekend (seems to be confirmed by his post Tipp match interviews when he spoke of players going back to clubs) as did Board but the big egos in the panel decided otherwise and forced Uturn by Roch and Board to preserve outward display of unity. If true the big egos are running the show and have seriously undermined the authority of Roch.

We could argue merits of competitive game time versus additional preparation time but at the end of the day decision should be managers and not panel and most definitely should not be a decision of minority big ego segment of panel.

Personally I think should have played this w.e. as nothing like competitive game time. Yes could be injuries but can also be injuries in training and internal matches and even in warm up on final day.

Kilkenny \ kerry win because nobody is bigger than the team and if somebody gets injured they dont panic as they have another panel members almost equally as good who can slot in. They don't have prima donnas on their panels.

Silly season is in full flow. Rumors are great.

We will still have the same lads who are complaining that they can't get tickets and in Croke Park shouting them on and celebrating with the team.

The club games arent being cancelled because Mayo havent won the All Ireland since 1951 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Silly season is in full flow. Rumors are great.

We will still have the same lads who are complaining that they can't get tickets and in Croke Park shouting them on and celebrating with the team.

This is Mayo where silly season lasts 365 days a year and Mayo GAA always plays a starring role.

Speaking of tickets we can expect that once again there will be no proper accounting of how many tickets given to Mayo GAA and where they all will end up.

How hard can it be for Mayo Secretary to do this exercise which should include confirmations from central council and club secretaries.

Kilkenny aren't really a like with like comparison in the context of preparing for an AI Final.
    They're pretty much guaranteed at least 2 AI's per decade, ditto Kerry in football.
    It's a different mindset completely.

We're pretty much in the last chance saloon with the best pool of players in 20 years trying to bridge a 65 year gap-totally different both mentally and probably physically in terms of preparation.

Cody is an absolute winner, but he's never had to carry what Rochford and the players are shouldering right now, not by a long shot.
    If he was, I suspect he might not be as accommodating towards clubs as he has been...

I honestly can't recall a group of players from any county that has ever gone into a final with such a burden of expectation and pressure as Mayo will on September 18th.If they feel keeping themselves together as a group is in anyway beneficial, I think in the circumstances nobody should question their motives.

This is Mayo where silly season lasts 365 days a year and Mayo GAA always plays a starring role.

Speaking of tickets we can expect that once again there will be no proper accounting of how many tickets given to Mayo GAA and where they all will end up.

How hard can it be for Mayo Secretary to do this exercise which should include confirmations from central council and club secretaries.

Chip and shoulder....

And not a great place to make statements like that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

We should not compare ourselves to the preparation of either Tipp or KK. The fact is that neither Kerry or Dublin will have any club matches between now and when one of them play the final.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Kilkenny aren't really a like with like comparison in the context of preparing for an AI Final.
    They're pretty much guaranteed at least 2 AI's per decade, ditto Kerry in football.
    It's a different mindset completely.

We're pretty much in the last chance saloon with the best pool of players in 20 years trying to bridge a 65 year gap-totally different both mentally and probably physically in terms of preparation.

Cody is an absolute winner, but he's never had to carry what Rochford and the players are shouldering right now, not by a long shot.
    If he was, I suspect he might not be as accommodating towards clubs as he has been...

I honestly can't recall a group of players from any county that has ever gone into a final with such a burden of expectation and pressure as Mayo will on September 18th.If they feel keeping themselves together as a group is in anyway beneficial, I think in the circumstances nobody should question their motives.

You're missing the point also. The games arent being called off because we havent won an all ireland since 1951. The fact that anyone could think that shows how little of a clue some people in here really have.

Kilkenny are a perfect example because they play competitive club games the week before major intercounty championship games. Mayo have pulled competitive club fixtures 3 weeks before a major intercounty game.

As you say Kilkenny have all irelands coming out their ears and they play the week before their county team. We havent won the all ireland since 1951 and we wrap our players in cotton wool.

And as someone who has prepared for an All Ireland final, let me tell you there will be nothing more intense the next few weeks than Mayo training sessions with numbers 16-30 making a claim for a final place. Club games will be strolls in the park in comparison.

Kalyke wrote: »
    We should not compare ourselves to the preparation of either Tipp or KK. The fact is that neither Kerry or Dublin will have any club matches between now and when one of them play the final.

Dublin and Kerry play on Sunday so their championship games wouldnt be until the following week. Which no one here is proposing that Mayo do. While Dublin play Kerry this weekend there should be a run off of club championship fixtures.

You're missing the point also. The games arent being called off because we havent won an all ireland since 1951. The fact that anyone could think that shows how little of a clue some people in here really have.

Kilkenny are a perfect example because they play competitive club games the week before major intercounty championship games. Mayo have pulled competitive club fixtures 3 weeks before a major intercounty game.

As you say Kilkenny have all irelands coming out their ears and they play the week before their county team. We havent won the all ireland since 1951 and we wrap our players in cotton wool.

And as someone who has prepared for an All Ireland final, let me tell you there will be nothing more intense the next few weeks than Mayo training sessions with numbers 16-30 making a claim for a final place. Club games will be strolls in the park in comparison.

I thought the games should go ahead* until GC's statement, which I took to be a players statement. If the players don't want to play or feel the right thing to do is not play, then cancel the games imo. Right or wrong, there was no going back after that statement.

I think there are massive differences between the Mayo and Kilkenny scenarios. The main one being that Kilkenny's 16-30 could probably win an All Ireland on their day. So the risk of injury impacting the result is far less than Mayo. We don't have that luxury, nobody bar Kilkenny does.

*More out of respect for the club player than anything else. There shouldn't be any difference between a Club Championship game and a County training game from here in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There will be a lot of those.

There will be a lot of those.

I wonder how Cillian and Aidan are getting on these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I wonder how Cillian and Aidan are getting on these days.

Ah stop! Aidan is too busy on the snapchat to care :p

Ah stop! Aidan is too busy on the snapchat to care :p

Rumor has it he broke Cillians diving board, so they have fallen out. Rumor has it that Rochford then tried to super glue it and glued himself to the floor.

But anyway, we are as well not to go up to Croker, its lost already ;)

The club games arent being cancelled because Mayo havent won the All Ireland since 1951 :rolleyes:

There is nothing in his post that suggest this.if u have nothing worth while to add to the form then don't post at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

There is a rumour going around

Ah, would ya give over. Will we ever hear the end of these "rumours"? :rolleyes:

Club games are off. Time to move on.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    There is nothing in his post that suggest this.if u have nothing worth while to add to the form then don't post at all

There is nothing in this post that adds to the forum either...

Oh well, the lad from Ballintubber in the Mayo News link summed it up nicely, there's not much more to add. The club players have been shafted again, this thread shows that the majority of people don't care.

My comment re not caring about winning the All Ireland seemed to get a few backs up - despite the context I put the sentence in. Of course I care, every club player in Mayo probably cares, the point is that the quest for Sam is always at our expense. Always will be too. So I've decided that there's no longer any point in playing for me, something Peist2007 seems to have decided a few years ago and something others will probably decide for themselves when they hit their tipping point too.

My point on this thread has been that shafting players like this to the point of losing them is not good for Mayo GAA, irrespective of if we win the All Ireland or not. There's a lot on here that can't see in front of their nose though - in a time of increasing urbanisation driving lads in their mid 20s away from Mayo GAA is not good.

Onwards and upwards. Roll on the 18th of Sept, I won't be driving home for the 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Onwards and upwards. Roll on the 18th of Sept, I won't be driving home for the 25th.

Will you be driving home for the 19th though? ;)

On a serious note, the issue under discussion is something the GAA needs to address across the board. The inter-county championship season needs to be condensed to cater to a properly scheduled club scene in all counties.

Will you be driving home for the 19th though? ;)

On a serious note, the issue under discussion is something the GAA needs to address across the board. The inter-county championship season needs to be condensed to cater to a properly scheduled club scene in all counties.

Correct and right.

Unfortunately at this moment in time there is absolutely nothing to be gained from forcing players to play a lower standard of football with and against a poorer standard of player than what they've been used to.

That's the harsh reality of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

This man cares with every fibre of his being about winning an AI!

000ca6a2-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The issue here isn't this weekends games, it's the fact that the County Board should have fixtures run off by now and it was a poor statement on their part to say 'win or lose there'll be championship this weekend'. There's no reason why the group stage of the championship can't have been done before the Galway game. April 3 was Mayo's last league tie, and they didn't play again until May 29. There is no reason why 3 rounds of championship couldn't be played in that time period. That would at least have half of the teams eliminated from competition (bar relegation sides - who could play during the summer if they had no county players) so people know where they stand going into the summer. Even if they had reached the NFL Division 1 final (April 24), they could have played 2 + 1 in the period after the game.

As for league games, play them during the summer without county players. It realistically means bugger all these days anyways when it no longer determines what grade you play championship at. Teams want to play higher up the leagues because it means they'll be testing themselves in preparation for championship and that's about it.

Just on this, do Mayo have league rounds played without county players? This was something that started happening in Galway a while ago - designated league rounds without county players and it seems to have helped a little bit (although we certainly still have issues in our fixtures structure). I am pretty sure I was at a league match the weekend of the connacht final this year involving teams who fielded without their county players.

Another question for you guys - I know that the week after the AI has been designated as club championship now. But have other subsequent weekends already been marked down? Can the likes of Blud actually play his weekends from now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Just on this, do Mayo have league rounds played without county players? This was something that started happening in Galway a while ago - designated league rounds without county players and it seems to have helped a little bit (although we certainly still have issues in our fixtures structure). I am pretty sure I was at a league match the weekend of the connacht final this year involving teams who fielded without their county players.

Yeah there are "star" league games as they call them I believe, played without county players.

• Advertisement

There is nothing in this post that adds to the forum either...

Oh well, the lad from Ballintubber in the Mayo News link summed it up nicely, there's not much more to add. The club players have been shafted again, this thread shows that the majority of people don't care.

My comment re not caring about winning the All Ireland seemed to get a few backs up - despite the context I put the sentence in. Of course I care, every club player in Mayo probably cares, the point is that the quest for Sam is always at our expense. Always will be too. So I've decided that there's no longer any point in playing for me, something Peist2007 seems to have decided a few years ago and something others will probably decide for themselves when they hit their tipping point too.

My point on this thread has been that shafting players like this to the point of losing them is not good for Mayo GAA, irrespective of if we win the All Ireland or not. There's a lot on here that can't see in front of their nose though - in a time of increasing urbanisation driving lads in their mid 20s away from Mayo GAA is not good.

Did u register just to make a point that you will not be playing for your club. To be honest I couldn't care less if you do.
    No doubt you are just a all Ireland day Mayo fan or got looked over for not being good enough to get on the county panel.

The decision has being made stop whinging about it and go support the lads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Oldtree wrote: »
    This man cares with every fibre of his being about winning an AI!

000ca6a2-642.jpg
    Unfortunately he's not going to be winning an Ireland.

Rainman16 wrote: »

He has a great chance of winning an all ireland why the hell not? After the trimming we got off Kildare in Clonmel back in March i certainly didnt think that we stood a chance of doing anything this year. Low and behold we are after breaking new ground with a threadbare squad.

Very few could see Dublin ending their near 20 year old famine back in 2011 after they drew with Donegal in a game that is best forgotten. Mayo have talented players that can hit a good day and get a run on any team. They did look vulnerable from midfield though. Id be starting Tom Parsons if he is anyway fit.

Rainman16 wrote: »

More of a chance than you and your boys have! :) #Bitterpill ;)

And as TippGunner said is fully logical. Its all on the day and the bounce of a ball, as we found out already in one AI, could be all that it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

What sort of strategy do you think rochford is going to set up for? Mayos best performance this year was when the set up uber defensively against tyrone. Could rochford use this tactic in the final? Could it derail kerry/dub? And who will win kerry or Dub???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement