Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

irishgeo wrote: »
    i am hearing rumours of unhappiness among the players with the management team or one half of it.

I heard similar, and as you said, specifically in relation to one half of the double act. Rumour also has it, whether or not it's connected, that Kevin McStay didn't allow his name to go forward for ratification in Roscommon last week. I was also told this morning from a good Cavan source, that the Cavan team are expecting to lose Liam McHale as coach. I don't know quite what's happening, but something is definitely bubbling under the surface. Despite the fact that I gave Holmes and Connelly a chance, and the benefit of the doubt, I watched the Dublin replay back last Monday night, and some of the decisions made on the sideline are beyond belief. The review with County Board won't come quickly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I heard similar, and as you said, specifically in relation to one half of the double act. Rumour also has it, whether or not it's connected, that Kevin McStay didn't allow his name to go forward for ratification in Roscommon last week. I was also told this morning from a good Cavan source, that the Cavan team are expecting to lose Liam McHale as coach. I don't know quite what's happening, but something is definitely bubbling under the surface. Despite the fact that I gave Holmes and Connelly a chance, and the benefit of the doubt, I watched the Dublin replay back last Monday night, and some of the decisions made on the sideline are beyond belief. The review with County Board won't come quickly enough

My God you are actually implying that McStay and McHale are going to take over... No chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My God you are actually implying that McStay and McHale are going to take over... No chance

Yep its all going to happen.

County Board meeting tomorrow week to ratify it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i be surprised myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

"Logic and mayogaa rarely go together "
    tweet from Aidan o Shea just now.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

km79 wrote:
    "Logic and mayogaa rarely go together " tweet from Aidan o Shea just now.......

Seen that..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

What have they done now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Maughan for the u21 job iam hearing

That's hardly what Aidan is tweeting about though....

glack wrote: »
    That's hardly what Aidan is tweeting about though....

No I doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In fairness, one has to feel for the players a lot.
    They have put in some serious commitment over the years and lets hope that whatever is currently happening behind the scenes is with the full backing of the players.

kippy wrote: »
    In fairness, one has to feel for the players a lot.
    They have put in some serious commitment over the years and lets hope that whatever is currently happening behind the scenes is with the full backing of the players.

Aidan's tweet doesn't make it sound like that! He's only one player I know but sounds to me as if he's unhappy with something!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sounds like turmoil is about to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

glack wrote: »
    Aidan's tweet doesn't make it sound like that! He's only one player I know but sounds to me as if he's unhappy with something!!

It's hard to know from a one liner without context but yeah, the signs are at least he doesn't have to much time for what is happening behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

There's no need for Aidan O'Shea to be putting out vague messages on Twitter, he's just looking for re-tweets and attention.

Personally, I'd like to see a new manager brought in. I don't think C&H will ever win us an All-Ireland. I wonder what the morale in the camp is really like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I am sceptical about changing the management after just 1 year.... was never a major fan of Holmes, but they did deliver in 2006 and him again in 2001 in the league. Surely they deserve another year. locals down my side were praising them for the way they masterminded big bird in the Donegal game. Could they really have been that clueless in the second game against Dublin I ask myself. I know last year I said it that JH would not make crazy decisions in Limerick having the advantage of playing Kerry the week before..but he did. And this year I said that there is no way the management would make stupid decisions on the side line in the second game last weekend, but again they did. Can management be really to blame for all these instances or should the players on the pitch be taking more responsibility ?

In a nut shell I think they deserve one more run, but we need to see a flock of new players in the FBD and I think a league final is a must for next year.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There's no need for Aidan O'Shea to be putting out vague messages on Twitter, he's just looking for re-tweets and attention.

Personally, I'd like to see a new manager brought in. I don't think C&H will ever win us an All-Ireland. I wonder what the morale in the camp is really like.

Agree whole heartedly...should not be putting s**te up until the county board meeting next week. Fuelling speculation and rumours

On a side, don't see any harm in giving the U21 job to Mauaghan. Well worth a shot in my eyes. Cant go any lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Ascii wrote: »
    I am sceptical about changing the management after just 1 year.... was never a major fan of Holmes, but they did deliver in 2006 and him again in 2001 in the league. Surely they deserve another year. locals down my side were praising them for the way they masterminded big bird in the Donegal game. Could they really have been that clueless in the second game against Dublin I ask myself. I know last year I said it that JH would not make crazy decisions in Limerick having the advantage of playing Kerry the week before..but he did. And this year I said that there is no way the management would make stupid decisions on the side line in the second game last weekend, but again they did. Can management be really to blame for all these instances or should the players on the pitch be taking more responsibility ?

In a nut shell I think they deserve one more run, but we need to see a flock of new players in the FBD and I think a league final is a must for next year.

An U-21 title nearly ten years ago doesn't give them a pass in my book nor does Holmes winning a league title nearly 15 years ago. Surely our standards are better than that? I'd look at recent things like Castlebar in the club final to be honest.

Playing Moran as a sweeper against Donegal was a good move but it wasn't the winning of the game. Man for man we are better than Donegal, like Galway it was a game we should be winning most days. You look back against Dublin and say we were lucky to come back from the dead with seven down, it was just pure heart from the players that got us the draw and nothing was learned in the replay. Vaughan starting was a poor call, high ball into O'Shea was a disaster, substitutions were off too. I got the impression that the players were really going for it this year by themselves.

I'd roll the dice and get someone else in. It will freshen things up at the very least because we're going nowhere with the current set-up if we are being honest. I've nothing against Pat and Noel personally but this group of players deserve the very best and the worst thing that could happen is that they chuck it and go through the motions. They need to be inspired and motivated for another year and that's something Noel and Pat won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Pretty sure the tweet is directed at the county board for ratifying the existing minor management team again. O'Sheas father was part of a management team that went for the position and I am very surprised myself they didn't get it. Bit silly putting a tweet like that out there though. Either say it out straight or don't say it at all.

• Advertisement

I think people are over reacting a bit about the management team to be honest.

In 2015 Mayo lost to what I believe are the best team in the country, after a replay.

I for one would not have been surprised if this team went out to Galway in the first round and then in the qualifiers on some wet Saturday night up north.

The team that they took over had spend 4 hard years on the road without the ultimate success that was hoped for.

They had changes to make, not huge ones, but changes all the same. And they made those changes, introduced Dirmuaid O' Connor, put AOS up front, used Barry Moran in a sweeper role etc.
    We saw Patrick Durkan play well on the big stage and it's a real pity were never saw Evan Regan get to play more than 10 mins.

Now what they have to do in the winter is properly evaluate how to get the best out of AOS in FF, if that is what the best option for him actually is, get the sweeper\defence sorted out etc.

As I said before here Mayo likely avoid Dublin and Kerry next year so there is a real chance for a final appearance.

I listened to the Mayo News podcast in the run up to the first Dublin game and one thing that was mentioned was that Keith Higgins's demeanour in the lead up to the game was very much, and I'm paraphrasing, "if we do not win this year then there is absolutely no question of us packing it in, we will be back against next year, hungrier and better"

I really hope that is the case

We will have a much bigger body of work to judge the management on this time next year, so i think we are better off waiting until then.

As for the Dublin replay itself I think the loss of SOS was a huge turning point, it reduced Mayo's options at midfield just as Dublin were bringing on fresh legs there.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    An U-21 title nearly ten years ago doesn't give them a pass in my book nor does Holmes winning a league title nearly 15 years ago. Surely our standards are better than that? I'd look at recent things like Castlebar in the club final to be honest.

Playing Moran as a sweeper against Donegal was a good move but it wasn't the winning of the game. Man for man we are better than Donegal, like Galway it was a game we should be winning most days. You look back against Dublin and say we were lucky to come back from the dead with seven down, it was just pure heart from the players that got us the draw and nothing was learned in the replay. Vaughan starting was a poor call, high ball into O'Shea was a disaster, substitutions were off too. I got the impression that the players were really going for it this year by themselves.

I'd roll the dice and get someone else in. It will freshen things up at the very least because we're going nowhere with the current set-up if we are being honest. I've nothing against Pat and Noel personally but this group of players deserve the very best and the worst thing that could happen is that they chuck it and go through the motions. They need to be inspired and motivated for another year and that's something Noel and Pat won't do.

So who would be the someone else if the dice was rolled, and why ?

Honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Agree whole heartedly...should not be putting s**te up until the county board meeting next week. Fuelling speculation and rumours

On a side, don't see any harm in giving the U21 job to Mauaghan. Well worth a shot in my eyes. Cant go any lower

The game has fairly moved on since Maughan last managed a county team however looking at the other nominations he will more than likely get this gig. The harm is the 2013 All Ireland minor winning team might end up not even winning a Connacht U21 title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Generally speaking, I wouldn't be too worried about what AOS says on social media. He's a fine footballer obviously, but he won't be bothering the guys at Mensa anytime soon....

As for Maughan...... Is he really what young players need at this point in their development??

Pretty sure the tweet is directed at the county board for ratifying the existing minor management team again. O'Sheas father was part of a management team that went for the position and I am very surprised myself they didn't get it. Bit silly putting a tweet like that out there though. Either say it out straight or don't say it at all.

I don't know anything about O Shea's father at all....has he any past managerial credentials or successes at club level(U12, 14, 16, minor) or is he only getting a look-in due to his connections with AOS, SOS and COS ?

He was the breaffy senior manager a few yrs ago did quite well with them if I remember correctly

• Advertisement

O'Shea's tweet relates to John Maughan throwing his hat into the U21 ring, albeit at a late stage, which resulted in Jim O'Shea's name not being accepted. Aidan's tweet couldn't have been worse/better timed, depending on which way you look at it - it's becoming clearer by the day that he and Pat Holmes have a tenuous relationship at best, to the point possibly (depending on validity of rumours) that O'Shea, among other senior players wants a change in management. The tweet last night, because of its timing, could have been seen to be an opening shot across the bow of the current management team, and the County Board in general. What the tweet has managed to do today, is open up the 'player revolt' rumours to becoming the only GAA topic in the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hopefully we won't have some sorry bloodbath after the review.It appears to have been reported that Donie Buckley is staying on?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hopefully we won't have some sorry bloodbath after the review.It appears to have been reported that Donie Buckley is staying on?

Yeah, so the Mayo News are saying. It's hard to know what's going on at the minute

O'Shea's tweet relates to John Maughan throwing his hat into the U21 ring, albeit at a late stage, which resulted in Jim O'Shea's name not being accepted. Aidan's tweet couldn't have been worse/better timed, depending on which way you look at it - it's becoming clearer by the day that he and Pat Holmes have a tenuous relationship at best, to the point possibly (depending on validity of rumours) that O'Shea, among other senior players wants a change in management. The tweet last night, because of its timing, could have been seen to be an opening shot across the bow of the current management team, and the County Board in general. What the tweet has managed to do today, is open up the 'player revolt' rumours to becoming the only GAA topic in the County.

If there is going to be a player revolt then bring it on, can't beat a bit of chaos this time of the year.
    As I said o the old thread about 12 months ago. "September is farce month at Mayo GAA"

But let's hope to God the new manager, if there is one, is credible and can bring Mayo forward.

Not like the last time we had a revolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don't believe the rumours of dissatisfaction with the management tbh. I don't think a new manager is necessary this year for two reasons:

1) Pat and Noel have only had the one year with this group, they should learn from their mistakes this year and be ready for next season.
    2) There aren't many options out there for a new manager that would satisfy most of us. I'd take McStay but I don't see that happening, and there's no one else that really catches the eye that is available (not an expert on these matters by any means, so if I'm wrong there, by all means let me know.)

As far as the U21s, give it to Maughan. He's a safe option when we need stability in that group of players.

• Advertisement

Interesting regarding U21 teams 2006 and 2012.
    We have a very good U21 team next year.
    1 - Mark Mulligan
    2 - Eddie Doran
    3 - Seamus Cunniffe
    4 - David Kenny
    5 - Michael Hall
    6 - Stephen Coen
    7 - Barry Duffy
    8 - Val Roughneen/Gary Walsh
    9 - Mathew Ruane/Padraig Prendergast
    10 - Sharoize Akram
    11 - Diarmuid OConnor
    12 - Conor Loftus
    13 - Fionan Duffy
    14 - TJ Byrne
    15 - Brian Reape
    That's a hell of a forward line built around the power of TJ Byrne, Fionan Duffy and Diarmuid OConnor.

Maughan musyt have seen this post and liked the look of the team:cool:

If this is true, I don't like it at all.

Sounds like the O'Shea family are turning into the Mortimer family #2 as regards a sense of entitlement to be involved with Mayo GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

martyos121 wrote: »
    I don't believe the rumours of dissatisfaction with the management tbh. I don't think a new manager is necessary this year for two reasons:

1) Pat and Noel have only had the one year with this group, they should learn from their mistakes this year and be ready for next season.
    2) There aren't many options out there for a new manager that would satisfy most of us. I'd take McStay but I don't see that happening, and there's no one else that really catches the eye that is available (not an expert on these matters by any means, so if I'm wrong there, by all means let me know.)

As far as the U21s, give it to Maughan. He's a safe option when we need stability in that group of players.
    Yeah I don't imagine anything has changed re the financial issues the County Board had with Kevin McStay's candidacy,real shame as I thought he was well worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Maughan musyt have seen this post and liked the look of the team:cool:
    There is a very winnable Connaught title to be won with the U21 team. It would be the very minimum with the talent pool available
    - Good set of backs from 2013 (contained Tyrone in a beaten midfield)
    - Good set of forwards from 2014 (goal scorers)
    - One of Mayos best half forwards Diarmuid OConnor
    - Stephen Coen and Michael Hall senior experience
    - Outright physicality in Diarmuid, Fionan Duffy and TJ Byrne
    If the midfield mix can be got right, absolutely that team should be gunning for an All Ireland final appearance. The only issue is with midfield. Neither in 2013 or 2014 were the midfields dominant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Think you're wrong there, it was actually the Minor management that O'Shea was looking to get involved in. delegates voted against opening it up to club nominations afaik

If this is true, I don't like it at all.

Sounds like the O'Shea family are turning into the Mortimer family #2 as regards a sense of entitlement to be involved with Mayo GAA.
    Your talking throught your arse there in fairness with that comment

martyos121 wrote: »

If what I am hearing is true, its not going to be pretty. Aprerently names have been put on paper.

naughto wrote: »
    Your talking throught your arse there in fairness with that comment

Stand by for a statement from the O'Shea family.

If what I am hearing is true, its not going to be pretty. Aprerently names have been put on paper.

That's two very short posts you have posted in the last few days implying trouble in the camp.

If you know something why don't you expand on it a bit ?
    Others have, and I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you shared what you know with us.

As I said if thete is going to be a revolt let's have it and get it over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

As I said if thete is going to be a revolt let's have it and get it over with.

Good point, can't do any damage now.

• Advertisement

It's all rumour. I heard 8 or 9 players are unhappy with Mr Holmes and have signed a letter stating that fact. Holmes has fallen out with a number of players and doesn't talk to one or two.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It's all rumour. I heard 8 or 9 players are unhappy with Mr Holmes and have signed a letter stating that fact. Holmes has fallen out with a number of players and doesn't talk to one or two.

Heard that last night as well now from another source.
    FK sake we are like an episode of Eastenders at this stage will all the splits and changing of the guard.
    Everyone laughed at Cork when the players took a stance, we will be no better at this stage. The 2 lads took us to the same stage as last year and uncovered (Parsons not new I know) in my opinion 2 quality players in DOC and Parsons.

They took a lot of flak for taking off both Parsons and Moran but reading an article this week both had reached their max delivering ability, using them fancy dan GPS packs on their back and weren't going to be able to perform. Morans role in the replay didn't help him.

I know Daddy O'Shea is a strong character and was so in Breaffy, but I really do hope that we don't have a repeat of "Poor Conor" again, it won't make them many friends in Mayo GAA.
    As much respect I have for Seamie and what he has put in for Mayo football he shouldn't be taking the high ground on anything after his daftness cost us a pivotal player in the replay.

Anyway, paper and ink and all that shI*TE, could be a load of pony, but the fact its even whispered might mean something is brewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't know anything about O Shea's father at all....has he any past managerial credentials or successes at club level(U12, 14, 16, minor) or is he only getting a look-in due to his connections with AOS, SOS and COS ?

He brought (managed) Breaffy from Junior to Senior. The players were there to do that but he (and his family) has played a massive role in the club for over a decade.
    He's a gent, bleeds football and is a smart enough cookie, if he had one flaw during my time it was that he may have been too nice.
    He would be a well deserving of a crack at minor management imo.

yop wrote: »
    Heard that last night as well now from another source.
    FK sake we are like an episode of Eastenders at this stage will all the splits and changing of the guard.
    Everyone laughed at Cork when the players took a stance, we will be no better at this stage. The 2 lads took us to the same stage as last year and uncovered (Parsons not new I know) in my opinion 2 quality players in DOC and Parsons.

They took a lot of flak for taking off both Parsons and Moran but reading an article this week both had reached their max delivering ability, using them fancy dan GPS packs on their back and weren't going to be able to perform. Morans role in the replay didn't help him.

I know Daddy O'Shea is a strong character and was so in Breaffy, but I really do hope that we don't have a repeat of "Poor Conor" again, it won't make them many friends in Mayo GAA.
    As much respect I have for Seamie and what he has put in for Mayo football he shouldn't be taking the high ground on anything after his daftness cost us a pivotal player in the replay.

Anyway, paper and ink and all that shI*TE, could be a load of pony, but the fact its even whispered might mean something is brewing.

It's a long way off Cork proportions yet, that's just being a little hysterical. We regularly get close, so regularly question marks are to be expected.

It didn't take a lot to "uncover" DOC in fairness. He emerged.

Stand by for a statement from the O'Shea family.

I'd say you will be waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Can people stop comparing this situation to the Mortimer's please. No comparison

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PARlance wrote: »
    It's a long way off Cork proportions yet, that's just being a little hysterical. We regularly get close, so regularly question marks are to be expected.

It didn't take a lot to "uncover" DOC in fairness. He emerged.

He emerged/uncovered what ever really, but they utilized him and he is one of the top contenders for YPOTY and rightly so.

IF it turns into a player revolt then it will be on Cork proportions.

yop wrote: »
    He emerged/uncovered what ever really, but they utilized him and he is one of the top contenders for YPOTY and rightly so.

IF it turns into a player revolt then it will be on Cork proportions.

I don't think it's case of "whatever really", crediting management with uncovering DOC is a bit much... I think he would have emerged under any management.

naughto wrote: »
    I'd say you will be waiting

I really hope so.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    I don't think it's case of "whatever really", crediting management with uncovering DOC is a bit much... I think he would have emerged under any management.

Not if he didn't get game time. Plenty of players over various codes haven't been utilised, in this case they got the best of DOC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement