Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Kalyke wrote: »
    How do you know I wasn't talking about you and not him??:D:D:D

Touche, actually we are both being a little presumptuous , it maybe a member of the fairer sex!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Robeman wrote: »
    Mayo will either win the final or they will lose

If they win it will be a case of absolute footballing talent overcoming every other short coming that is in place in the Mayo set up at the moment and since time immemorial.

If they lose it will once again be because we have never sorted out the rotten structure that is Mayo GAA.

To win an All Ireland you need

- A talented panel of footballers who also have good character. Footballers who only work for the good of the team and its success and do not put their personal egos above the team.

- A good manager who is in charge of the show with the talent to put together a good management team who will provide the support to the on the pitch effort.

- A competent county board with the ability to select a good manager and support him for the duration of his tenure. One with the competence to do whats best for their county in the corridors of power in Dublin. One that leaves no one in doubt that it is ultimately in charge.

We have never in my life time had all of the above at the same time. The same is true this year.

We have always had the talent this has been one constant. Too often we have had big egos with no All Irelands in their pockets. Too often we as supporters have worshippped these egos and never stopped to think that its takes a panel to win an All Ireland not a talented individual or a few talented individuals.

We have had good managers and bad and their successes with Mayo have been limited to 2 league titles in 66 years.

John O Mahoney could win 2 All Ireland with Galway but none with Mayo even with 2 stints in charge why ? Answer I would say was county board.

James Horan had probably the most impressive tenure since 51 but still no cigar Why ? Answer I would say good but not good enough.

The other constant we have had in Mayo is an incompetent County board.

Too often they have got selection of County Manager wrong, too often they select a manager and then they have wanted to manage the team themselves, too often they have not given managers the resources they need, too often they have selected a good managers and have not had the balls to stand by them in moments of difficulty, too often they have allowed Croke Park to treat Mayo as a second class county. Too often they have demonstrated that they don't know what is going on and what they should be doing.

Once again as in 89, 96, 97, 04, 06, 12, 13 we are in a final and we are all hoping for success and deceiving ourselves that everything is rosy in the garden and getting stressed about tickets. There is also the saga as in every one of the recent all ireland years of wrapping players in cotton wool (has not worked in the past so why should it work this year). Once again we are like kids heading for the sweetshop where we will meet the older wiser kids who will get the pick of the nicest sweets.

We may win as at the end of the day its 15 v 15 but I think it is unlikely. The bookies and professional commentators and also informed public rarely get it wrong.

We can then look forward to the blood letting that will accompany defeat as many chickens will come home to roost. We will let the blood flow but will probabaly solve nothing and in a few years we will once again get to a final and repeat.

I'm all for constructive criticism but your rather simplistic opinion seems to boil down to an unfair blame it all on the Mayo County Board argument.Our failures have been well documented and analysed,they are undoubtedly of a multi factorial nature.

Your argument that we have the same of talent to draw from as Kerry on the basis of population is laughable.We quite possibly have a similiar pool of players to draw from but have not been blessed with a similiar pool of talented players down through the years.We went from 1969 to 1981 without a Connacht title.

We were particularly lucky to have a talented group in 1996/1997 but for the famous Colm Coyle effort that eluded John Madden,lady luck might have ensured we might not be having this conversation.

As of the dawn of James Horan's era we have been blessed with a group of footballers who are most talented in my living memory and quite possibly since 1951.Mayo is not alone amongst counties who have footballers with an ego,aggro occurs at some level in many camps and can be a positive energy.It has been no hindrance thus far,far too many individuals ready to knock same amateur players or spread unfounded salacious tales.I'd be inclined to cut these players you speak of a little slack,they are amateur players who get little in return but a lot of unwarranted criticism whilst giving many of us a lot of joy.

The jury will judge Stephen Rochford on the basis of the final,thus far his ability to bring a certain solidity to the defence with the sweeper system or de facto full backs are innovative and have brought success.We have lost a bit of our attacking flair but if we get the right result on September 18th he'll be crowned the High King of Mayo.

I would certainly like to see Tom Parsons start the next day and I'm struggling to see how Jason Doherty can hold down his starting position based on his last two outings.

Yes down through the years the County Board have got many things wrong,many would have had sympathy with Micky Moran after he was removed in 2006,ditto the process around the appointment of Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes was less than satisfactory,maybe they got it right...the costs implications of the alternative management option were too onerous.James Horan had many battles with the County Board.However it is unfair to suggest that the County Board does not have the best interests of Mayo football at it's heart.I do not believe in the current setup that under circumstances would any stone be left unturned to give Stephen Rochford the resources he needs to get the job finally done.

Look at any of the other GAA fora,fans from all many of counties are oftentimes complaining about similiar issues in relation to their county boards.The much malaligned Cork County Boards/administrator Frank Murphy over decades did not prove a hindrance to many hurling and indeed football titles.

Nobody is kidding ourselves that all is rosy in the garden,have you been around the environs of Mayo since the semi final?Many are very pessimistic,fearful of believing and reluctant to travel!I can guarantee you they will still all travel in their thousands..knowing deep down the tears will flow like rivers if a seemingly timeless burden is lifted by Cillian lifting Sam Maguire.We can but dream.

All Irelands are won and lost for many reasons,primarily it's down to a group of 20 players on the pitch....talent and ability,luck,good management decisions.In our case it primarily comes down to a belief amongst the players that they are good enough.I certainly believe they are good enough if they finally play to their potential on an All Ireland final day.A supportive county board and public are essential.Constructive criticism is all and well but criticism for the sake of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

If you haven't done so already, now is the time to set up or join a seating group. There is only a few days left to do this (unless there's a draw on Sunday) as tickets for the All Ireland final will be allocated next week. We have updated the Mayo Cairde and Croke Park season ticket seating groups.

Details on how to set up or join a seating group
    http://mayoclub51.com/members/club-51-seating-groups/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'm all for constructive criticism but your rather simplistic opinion seems to boil down to an unfair blame it all on the Mayo County Board argument.Our failures have been well documented and analysed,they are undoubtedly of a multi factorial nature.

Your argument that we have the same of talent to draw from as Kerry on the basis of population is laughable.We quite possibly have a similiar pool of players to draw from but have not been blessed with a similiar pool of talented players down through the years.We went from 1969 to 1981 without a Connacht title.

We were particularly lucky to have a talented group in 1996/1997 but for the famous Colm Coyle effort that eluded John Madden,lady luck might have ensured we might not be having this conversation.

As of the dawn of James Horan's era we have been blessed with a group of footballers who are most talented in my living memory and quite possibly since 1951.Mayo is not alone amongst counties who have footballers with an ego,aggro occurs at some level in many camps and can be a positive energy.It has been no hindrance thus far,far too many individuals ready to knock same amateur players or spread unfounded salacious tales.I'd be inclined to cut these players you speak of a little slack,they are amateur players who get little in return but a lot of unwarranted criticism whilst giving many of us a lot of joy.

The jury will judge Stephen Rochford on the basis of the final,thus far his ability to bring a certain solidity to the defence with the sweeper system or de facto full backs are innovative and have brought success.We have lost a bit of our attacking flair but if we get the right result on September 18th he'll be crowned the High King of Mayo.

I would certainly like to see Tom Parsons start the next day and I'm struggling to see how Jason Doherty can hold down his starting position based on his last two outings.

Yes down through the years the County Board have got many things wrong,many would have had sympathy with Micky Moran after he was removed in 2006,ditto the process around the appointment of Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes was less than satisfactory,maybe they got it right...the costs implications of the alternative management option were too onerous.James Horan had many battles with the County Board.However it is unfair to suggest that the County Board does not have the best interests of Mayo football at it's heart.I do not believe in the current setup that under circumstances would any stone be left unturned to give Stephen Rochford the resources he needs to get the job finally done.

Look at any of the other GAA fora,fans from all many of counties are oftentimes complaining about similiar issues in relation to their county boards.The much malaligned Cork County Boards/administrator Frank Murphy over decades did not prove a hindrance to many hurling and indeed football titles.

Nobody is kidding ourselves that all is rosy in the garden,have you been around the environs of Mayo since the semi final?Many are very pessimistic,fearful of believing and reluctant to travel!I can guarantee you they will still all travel in their thousands..knowing deep down the tears will flow like rivers if a seemingly timeless burden is lifted by Cillian lifting Sam Maguire.We can but dream.

All Irelands are won and lost for many reasons,primarily it's down to a group of 20 players on the pitch....talent and ability,luck,good management decisions.In our case it primarily comes down to a belief amongst the players that they are good enough.I certainly believe they are good enough if they finally play to their potential on an All Ireland final day.A supportive county board and public are essential.Constructive criticism is all and well but criticism for the sake of it....

Very eloquently put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

seligehgit wrote: »

Great post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 spudz murphy

Mayo must await the victors of Kerry v Dublin
    Whereas Mayo must perform to their utmost to win the final
    Kerry and Dublin have it all to do
    This Mayo side have a great mix of youth and experience
    The qualifier route helped them find their best starting lineup
    The Mayo manager Stephen Rochford has leaded this side to the brink of something special
    70 minutes is all that stands between Mayo's footballers and an elusive All Ireland Title

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mayo must await the victors of Kerry v Dublin
    Whereas Mayo must perform to their utmost to win the final
    Kerry and Dublin have it all to do
    This Mayo side have a great mix of youth and experience
    The qualifier route helped them find their best starting lineup
    The Mayo manager Stephen Rochford has leaded this side to the brink of something special
    70 minutes is all that stands between Mayo's footballers and an elusive All Ireland Title

And my face has a nose...... thanks for that ;)

All Ireland football semi final(Ladies)

Mayo v Dublin 6.30 Breffni Park Cavan

Live on TG4

Best of luck to the ladies!

Great comeback... Game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Had a moment of panic earlier when I thought I had closed the feckin thread by accident.

That was some miss there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Dublin finally get a yellow card.

Stoner wrote: »
    That was some miss there

Shocking effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Rossi IRL wrote:
    Just wondering how long these things take in your experience?

seligehgit wrote:

Awful stuff since they drew level though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

No black card for the Mayo girl !
    Pointless I suppose
    That was close. Great score at the end.

seligehgit wrote:

Threw it away in the end

Heartbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heartbreaking finish

Threw it away in the end

Enough chances to win that game,when you don't convert them....

Just me or is there some weird cross posting happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Gutted for the ladies after a great comeback. Think they deserved a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

cocoman wrote: »
    Gutted for the ladies after a great comeback. Think they deserved a draw.

Is rugby tackling allowed in ladies football? I'm not up to speed with the rules but they are obviously very different to mens game because Dublin don't get automatic home advantage. Dublin get the benefit of the importance referee decisions so that's one thing both games have in common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Is rugby tackling allowed in ladies football? I'm not up to speed with the rules but they are obviously very different to mens game because Dublin don't get automatic home advantage. Dublin get the benefit of the importance referee decisions so that's one thing both games have in common.

Wow. Talk about a bad loser. Bitter much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wow. Talk about a bad loser. Bitter much?

No not much. Entitled much?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not a fight I had a dog in, if you`ll excuse the expression, but both teams were at it and I thought the ref gave dodgy decisions for both.
    In fairness, it wasn`t an easy game to ref, but both teams went at it hammer and tongs.
    Hard to take much consolation from a one point defeat, but I thought it was one of the best games I have seen in a long time in any grade and both teams today were a credit to to themselves.
    A shame there had to be a loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Credit to this buch of girls . Hope Cora stays on for one more . Mayo really only shook into life when there were almost out of it . It shows that in reality Dublin would not have been able to match them should they were more composed early on.
    The ref was poor and did favour Dublin in some of the poor tackling being made however these are only excuses . Mayo had ample opportunity led to put them away and fell just short . Great respect for the ladies with some fine displays from both teams on point taking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What ones in particular? And what has the choice of venue got to do with the rules? Stop yer whinging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This time 10 years ago we were warming up in front of the Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PARlance wrote: »
    This time 10 years ago we were warming up in front of the Hill.

Best sporting event I was ever at, a classic from start to finish.

Serious battle..... and that was just with the Dub sitting beside me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Pidge.

Not a great final tho.. :P

No unbeatable teams in that other Semi final after seeing the first half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Nope. As long as Kerry go and finish the job now. We don't want a draw, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

No unbeatable teams in that other Semi final after seeing the first half!

I'd still prefer face Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

Looking better for ye now. I reckon ye have the tools to handle Kerry but would struggle with Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'd still prefer face Dublin

Why ???????
    If Dublin overcome this now they will be even more dangerous

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Why ???????

If Dublin battle back, they will be more than ready for the final and won't be beaten, imo. I'd be a bit wary of Kerry still though. Mayo struggle to beat them at the best of times and they could come on a lot if they win this match. They'll take a lot of confidence from it and will be very difficult to beat. A close run thing or God forbid a draw isn't great for us either way. Neither look unbeatable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Still fancy Dublin to come through here reasonably comfortably in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Why ???????

Because Kerry can be playing bad, look completely off form and still manage to match you score for score. Dublin we can beat on our day, we're mostly within a point of them

Why ???????

I really don't get this fear of Dublin from us. Yes, they're a very good team but as has been witnessed today, they can be got at. We know how close we came to them 12 months ago.

Kerry are packed full of serious forwards, 4-5 lads that would keep you awake at night. I wouldn't fear the Dublin forwards as much, they're great athletes and very dangerous but don't have the football in them that Kerry have (bar KmcM & DC).

I'm stil hoping for a Dublin win.

Bring on the Dubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I can't wait for the 18th of September. CMON MAYO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Happier with Dublin than Kerry. Yes they're the stronger team but we always give them a game, while we've a tendency to crumble against Kerry.

No pressure on us this year is a bit of a bonus. People will expect Dublin to run through us, that scenario often leads to us playing a brilliant game of football.

Roll on the 18th!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It sure would be nice to beat the Dubs in the All Ireland Final .

You have to beat whoever has earned the right to be there .

So , that's the way it's going to have to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

blinding wrote: »
    It sure would be nice to beat the Dubs in the All Ireland Final .

You have to beat whoever has earned the right to be there .

So , that's the way it's going to have to be .

I think the team should take great faith in the fact that Kerry were poor enough today, very sloppy and wasteful for much of that game and we're still only beaten by 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Padkir wrote: »
    I think the team should take great faith in the fact that Kerry were poor enough today, very sloppy and wasteful for much of that game and we're still only beaten by 2 points.

Mainly thanks to a 10 minute meltdown from Cluxton in fairness.

There are no excuses for not putting pressure on Cluxton based on today and it's not like he hasn't had a meltdown like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Mainly thanks to a 10 minute meltdown from Cluxton in fairness.

But much of that was due to pressure put on by the forwards, which Mayo can do as well if not better than most if they play that way, which you'd think they have to after watching that.

Kerry backed off again in the 2nd half inexplicably and Dublin came back fighting. Why not keep the pressure on? Unfortunate timing of the break but no excuse not to start 2nd half like they finished the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PARlance wrote: »
    I really don't get this fear of Dublin from us. Yes, they're a very good team but as has been witnessed today, they can be got at. .

They're clearly the best team in the country, should have won every all-Ireland this decade. Yes they have off-days (including today tbh) but I'd give Mayo a better chance against anyone else in an AIF...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They are really going to have the game of their lives.

Dublin are beatable there is no doubt about that but things with have to go really well for Mayo.

Can't wait for it.

They're clearly the best team in the country, should have won every all-Ireland this decade. Yes they have off-days (including today tbh) but I'd give Mayo a better chance against anyone else in an AIF...

Well thats bullshít. 2010, they lost to Cork and to be fair they drove alot of wides that day but champions drive them over the bar. Dublin really only became the package they are under Gavin although his predecessor set the cornerstones. They lost to the better team in both the 2012 and 2014 semi finals (Mayo and Donegal).

Dublin play a nice brand of football to be fair and credit them for keeping to an attacking philosophy. If more teams follow their lead (and tbf we play an attacking brand of football here in Tipp) then we might see the back of these ugly negative systems. Great that the four teams left in this years semi finals are all attacking although Mayo were surprisingly a bit more defensive last weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement