Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

I have to say the one thing I notice about this Dublin team is that they look a lot more like 2012 than 2013 or 2015.

They do not look like the monster they were.

Obviously they are a great team and are favourites, but they are lacking the bite they had in other years.

Still everything has to go right for Mayo but Dublin are as beatable as I have seen them in a few years.

What impressed me most about this Dublin team was how they came back after 10 minute hammering at end of 2nd half.

I thought at half time that they were gone, that they were only good when they were leading from the front. I was totally wrong. This Dublin team has more bottle than a lot of previous Dub teams. They now play the best bottlers in Ireland. God help us.

I have to say the one thing I notice about this Dublin team is that they look a lot more like 2012 than 2013 or 2015.

They do not look like the monster they were.

Obviously they are a great team and are favourites, but they are lacking the bite they had in other years.

Still everything has to go right for Mayo but Dublin are as beatable as I have seen them in a few years.

What impressed me most about this Dublin team was how they came back after 10 minute hammering at end of 1st half.

I thought at half time that they were gone, that they were only good when they were leading from the front. I was totally wrong. This Dublin team has more bottle than a lot of previous Dub teams. They now play the best bottlers in Ireland. God help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Robeman wrote: »
    What impressed me most about this Dublin team was how they came back after 10 minute hammering at end of 2nd half.

Stupid dumbass comment

danganabu wrote: »
    Did they not play Kerry in Thurles in a replay?

Quarter final in 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Quarter final in 2001

Indeed, I assume that the Dublin County Board resigned in shame for allowing such a thing to happen :D

Stupid dumbass comment

Why the abusive response. 7 All Irelands lost from 89. Who else comes close as bottlers. Look at our history. We have the worst record in the country of converting provincial titles into all irelands. Even in connaught we are way behind Galway and are even well behind Roscommon.

Everyone in Mayo needs to start facing the reality that once again we are not good enought to win.

Everyone writing positive stuff on this board will not make it so. Only when we put in place the foundation of a competent county board can we start to put in the everything else that will deliver all ireland.

We spend month before all ireland winding ourselves up that we can win, the, our team lets us down the only unknown being will we get hammered or will we run opposition close.

Why is my comment a stupid dumass comment ?

Why the abusive response. 7 All Irelands lost from 89. Who else comes close as bottlers. Look at our history. We have the worst record in the country of converting provincial titles into all irelands. Even in connaught we are way behind Galway and are even well behind Roscommon.

Everyone in Mayo needs to start facing the reality that once again we are not good enought to win.

Everyone writing positive stuff on this board will not make it so. Only when we put in place the foundation of a competent county board can we start to put in the everything else that will deliver all ireland.

We spend month before all ireland winding ourselves up that we can win, the, our team lets us down the only unknown being will we get hammered or will we run opposition close.

Which is it? You seem to be covering all your bases there!

Bottlers don't keep coming back and consistently making finals and semi finals like Mayo do, surely if they were bottlers they would have paled into insignificance years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pidge.

I fail to see how we are behind Roscommon.
    The have 2 All Ireland's, we have 3. We have twice as many Connaught championship wins at 46 vs 23. So, I fail to see how we are "way" behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Bottlers don't keep coming back and consistently making finals and semi finals like Mayo do, surely if they were bottlers they would have paled into insignificance years ago?

The only question he should be asked is if he's a Rossie or from Galway.

• Advertisement

Been discussed a million times here.

In the last 4 finals they have been in they have been beaten by better teams.

Actually not just better teams but by far the best teams those particular seasons.

You cannot bottle it if you don't have it to bottle in the first place.

Did they bottle it in 96, and 97, yes I would say so.

But not in '89, '04, '06, '12 or '13.

PARlance wrote: »

I think Daddy might have missed out on a nomination for the county board!

No idea what all these bases are that I am covering.

Mayo always bottle in in the final. They have been very successful in getting to finals this past 27 years way better than previous 38. Nevertheless they keep losing the finals. Why if they are not bottlers \ not good enough. Please tell me why they keep losing finals as I would like to know alternative viewpoints to my own.

Why have Mayo lost 7 finals with effectively 4 completely different teams and will probably lose an 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So you think Dublin would have been sent down to Limerick ??? I somehow doubt it.

I do actually, or more likely Thurles. So what do you think would have happened if it had been Dublin?

Pidge. wrote: »
    I fail to see how we are behind Roscommon.
    The have 2 All Ireland's, we have 3. We have twice as many Connaught championship wins at 46 vs 23. So, I fail to see how we are "way" behind them.

Galway win 1 All Ireland for every 5 Connaught titles, Roscommon 1 for every 11.5 while Mayo win 1 every 15 connaught titles. Nobody has anything close in other provinces.

There you go again. What aspects of the current County Board administration would you regard as incompetent and which members in particular? How would you suggest laying this 'foundation'? the type of people involved in GAA administration in every county are largely the same, we are no worse or better than most

No idea what all these bases are that I am covering.

Mayo always bottle in in the final. They have been very successful in getting to finals this past 27 years way better than previous 38. Nevertheless they keep losing the finals. Why if they are not bottlers \ not good enough. Please tell me why they keep losing finals as I would like to know alternative viewpoints to my own.

Why have Mayo lost 7 finals with effectively 4 completely different teams and will probably lose an 8th.

Its very simple really and Fr. Tod has broken it down in detail for you, they were beaten by better teams, quite simple really.

Only one team can win Sam each year, so going by you're logic all other 31 counties are bottlers.

Galway win 1 All Ireland for every 5 Connaught titles, Roscommon 1 for every 11.5 while Mayo win 1 every 15 connaught titles. Nobody has anything close in other provinces.

What an utterly bizarre argument. :pac: Factually correct im sure but totally irrelevant.

PARlance wrote: »

Again an abusive comment. Why not suggest that I am a girl from Roscommon or Galway. Please respond with some logical counter arguments to what I am saying.

I know what I am say hurts but the truth hurts sometimes.

I am a throughbred Mayo man with not one once of foreign blood going back at least 4 generations so do not doubt the fact that I care passionately about Mayo.

I am also a realist who can see where the issues are that must be overcome if we are to reach the promised land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Pidge.

And Roscommon hasn't been in an all ireland final since 1980, whereas we've been in 8. Clearly well behind :rolleyes:

Again an abusive comment. Why not suggest that I am a girl from Roscommon or Galway. Please respond with some logical counter arguments to what I am saying.

I am a throughbred Mayo man with not one once of foreign blood going back at least 4 generations so do not doubt the fact that I care passionately about Mayo.

I am also a realist who can see where the issues are that must be overcome if we are to reach the promised land.

I agree with you, calling you a Rossie is shocking abuse :)

I don't think the Rossies are overly happy with it either to be fair :D

RobeWoman wrote: »
    Again an abusive comment. Why not suggest that I am a girl from Roscommon or Galway.

I've edited your username Madame.

Been discussed a million times here.

In the last 4 finals they have been in they have been beaten by better teams.

Actually not just better teams but by far the best teams those particular seasons.

You cannot bottle it if you don't have it to bottle in the first place.

Did they bottle it in 96, and 97, yes I would say so.

But not in '89, '04, '06, '12 or '13.

Fair and logical comment. 89, 12, 13 for me would definitely be in other column but can see where you are coming from re 04 and 06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Thanks for the clarification :rolleyes:

My point being that yes Dublin were beatable by Kerry, not in a million years by this Mayo team.

Mayo have come closer to beating Dublin in recent years than Kerry, tbh. In fact, members of the current Mayo squad have already beaten members of the current Dublin squad in Croke Park in 2012. The last time Kerry beat Dublin in a championship match was 2009. I have no idea whether Mayo will have what it takes to beat Dublin this year, but there isn't much evidence from recent years to prop up a claim that Kerry were going to be the ones to take the Dubs out,

For what it's worth, I think we're probably the only team in the country who are physically a match for Dublin. Athleticism is obviously not the only thing it takes to beat Dublin, but I do think it counts for something against them.

• Advertisement

I think Daddy might have missed out on a nomination for the county board!

Again an abusive \ derogatory comment which suggests that I am winning the argument.

In fairness, if he admits to being from Galway, I'll apologise for the Rossie slur.

Again an abusive \ derogatory comment which suggests that I am winning the argument.

Its because I bottled it, well done.

Its very simple really and Fr. Tod has broken it down in detail for you, they were beaten by better teams, quite simple really.

Only one team can win Sam each year, so going by you're logic all other 31 counties are bottlers.

I totally agree that and have said above if you look that best team wins all ireland every year and if Mayo win this year they will be best.

My bottling comment refers to finals only. Mayo record apart from finals is pretty ok as we seem to get to a lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I totally agree that and have said above if you look that best team wins all ireland every year and if Mayo win this year they will be best.

My bottling comment refers to finals only. Mayo record apart from finals is pretty ok as we seem to get to a lot of them.
    Were Kerry bottlers yesterday? Its a term no self respecting GAA fan would ever use!

• Advertisement

There you go again. What aspects of the current County Board administration would you regard as incompetent and which members in particular? How would you suggest laying this 'foundation'? the type of people involved in GAA administration in every county are largely the same, we are no worse or better than most
    it

All of it and all of them. There probably are exceptions but nothing \ nobody stands out. As a suggestion we should thing about bringing in an outside County Chairman. If we need to pay to get a good one then so be it. We have been paying managers who bring no success for years. Maybe money might be better spent on a county chairman who might put in place some foundations upon which success might be built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    For what it's worth, I think we're probably the only team in the country who are physically a match for Dublin. Athleticism is obviously not the only thing it takes to beat Dublin, but I do think it counts for something against them.

Of course it does. The 2012 point is well made.
    Mayo dont fear Dublin at all I wouldn't get caught up arguing against that tbh.

In the past 5 or six years Dublin have beaten a great Kerry side four times in the championship, that's

Kerry
    Played 4 , won 4
    Against Mayo it's
    Played 4, won 2 , drew 1 , lost 1
    Donegal
    Played 3, won 2, lost 1
    It's been Mayo and Donegal that have stopped Dublin putting championships back to back.

These are the same lads , indeed Dublin have lost two or three players compared to last year.
    Taking opinion out if it the recent record shows that Mayo and Donegal have caused Dublin more problems than kerry in the last five or six years.

An outside County Chairman, well if that doesn't bate banagher :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

But that's not bottling it, it's not being good enough. '96 is the only contender because we were ahead so late but we didn't have the experience of winning to see it out. 1997 was a combination of shocking tactics and Kerry (and Fitzgerald) flying. In 04 and 06 we weren't good enough and Kerry targeted our weaknesses well.

It's like the nonsense you hear after we lost the last few years "this team won't be back again for a long time, their heads will be gone" and yet here we are again. The reality is we're about where we deserve to be every year - semi-final/final stage - with the players we have. If we lose its because this Dublin side is exceptional and in my lifetime I struggle to think of a more complete starting 15 in terms of physical ability than this side have been the last 4-5 years.

Pidge. wrote: »
    And Roscommon hasn't been in an all ireland final since 1980, whereas we've been in 8. Clearly well behind :rolleyes:

Do we really care at this point how many connaught titles we have won or how many finals we have been to ?

We want an all ireland win asap to get our county pride back and to stop being thought of as complete losers by the rest of the GAA world.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Were Kerry bottlers yesterday? Its a term no self respecting GAA fan would ever use!

Absolutely not. Lots of fans inside and outside of Mayo see us as bottlers. Let us not pretend otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some people really don't understand the term 'bottler'.

But that's not bottling it, it's not being good enough. '96 is the only contender because we were ahead so late but we didn't have the experience of winning to see it out. 1997 was a combination of shocking tactics and Kerry (and Fitzgerald) flying. In 04 and 06 we weren't good enough and Kerry targeted our weaknesses well.

It's like the nonsense you hear after we lost the last few years "this team won't be back again for a long time, their heads will be gone" and yet here we are again. The reality is we're about where we deserve to be every year - semi-final/final stage - with the players we have. If we lose its because this Dublin side is exceptional and in my lifetime I struggle to think of a more complete starting 15 in terms of physical ability than this side have been the last 4-5 years.

I am of the belief that with better management and a better county board we could have won 3\4 all irelands past 27 years.

I keep remembering all the teams that have come along and won all irelands since 51 that never won one before. They got things right at least for some years and won. E.g. Meath, Down, Offaly Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

You appear to be of the mind that your home county might as well not turn up on September 18th,the players will not be lying down in spite of the odds.Most Mayo supporters support their team through thick and thin.Believe me this next game is the thin,we are really up against it.If all Mayo supporters had your attitude we'd have a half empty stadium on September 18th.Thankfully Mayo supporters will not be found wanting in spite of their heartfelt trepidation re the result and awful history of final suffering.

If you are so au fait with the issues that need to be overcome,then I'll be delighted for you to outline same.I'm a big fan of constructive criticism as opposed to endless negativity.

As for your lazy generalisation/tagging of your home county as bottlers,in most finals since 1989 as Father Tod mentioned we have been beaten by the best team that year.You may have some validity to your argument in 1996/1997 and the semi finals of 2014/2015.I for me will not be labelling a bunch of amateur players who have brought such great credit and enjoyment to the county bottlers if they fail to beat an exceptionally good Dublin outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's going to be a long 3 weeks at this rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

km79 wrote: »
    IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!
    :D

so am I. Ive noticed a few things about the mayo team over the last while, seems to me that its all building up very nicely for the 18th, all a cunning plan imo

excuse me while I break out into song

seligehgit wrote: »
    You appear to be of the mind that your home county might as well not turn up on September 18th,the players will not be lying down in spite of the odds.Most Mayo supporters support their team through thick and thin.Believe me this next game is the thin,we are really up against it.If all Mayo supporters had your attitude we'd have a half empty stadium on September 18th.Thankfully Mayo supporters will not be found wanting in spite of their heartfelt trepidation re the result and awful history of final suffering.

If you are so au fait with the issues that need to be overcome,then I'll be delighted for you to outline same.I'm a big fan of constructive criticism as opposed to endless negativity.

As for your lazy generalisation/tagging of your home county as bottlers,in most finals since 1989 as Father Tod mentioned we have been beaten by the best team that year.You may have some validity to your argument in 1996/1997 and the semi finals of 2014/2015.I for me will not be labelling a bunch of amateur players who have brought such great credit and enjoyment to the county bottlers if they fail to beat an exceptionally good Dublin outfit.

It would be impolite not to turn up and at least in Mayo we will always be polite and turn up. I have supported Mayo through thin and thin all my life. There has never been any thick.

Maybe if more supporters had my attitude things would change and next time we would win. Maybe a half empty stadium would be a good thing long term and would show "the egos" in the team and county board that we are pissed off and want change and that we are fed up always losing. We need to stop being gallant losers. As supporters we need to stop giving unquestioning adoration to the team. If the "little emperors" have no cloths we need to say so.

You are right I am being negative but I have an aweful lot to be negative about. I want Mayo to be winners not losers. I want a panel who play for the team and not themselves, I want strong capable team management, I want a supportive competent county board, I want to see Mayo win an all ireland before I die. Maybe I am unreasonable

Blud wrote: »
    Match ups for the final are going to be key. From Mayo’s point of view, I’d be looking for something like this:

Dublin full forward line:

Connolly full forward – Keegan has to take him again
    Rock and Brogan in the corners – Harrison as one corner and I reckon Barrett might be called in for the other – if Barrett is going well in training then I’d have him pick up Brogan.

Our best way of beating Dublin is to run at them, so Higgins has to come out of the full back line. Might be a risky move, but has to be done I think.

Dubs half forward line:

Flynn – probably Durcan to pick him up.
    McM – Boyle
    Klikenny – Higgins to start this side, but helped out by McLoughlin sweeping back to let Higgins make runs forward

Midfield:

MDMA – Vaughan has to start to pick MDMA up, we don’t have any other midfielder with the athleticism required. MDMA does run out of steam a bit, Parsons to come in when that happens
    Fenton – SOS

Our half forward line:

DOC – probably have him on McCarthy’s wing, hopefully stop McCarthy from making too many runs forward
    AOS – will be key, reasons mentioned below
    KMcL – to drop back as sweeper, probably meaning Small will pick up AOS so that COS can drop deep. OK from our point of view

Full forward line:

Barry Moran – I’d stick him in there as gives us flexibility – can test the Dubs full back line like Kerry did, and can come out if needs be too. If we put him in there then I’d imagine Philly will need to take him in a similar role to what he did last year against AOS.
    Andy Moran – probably picked up by Cooper. His runs out to either side can drag Cooper about a bit, which could work well for isolating Barry a bit too.
    COC – probably picked up by Byrne. Would like to see him drift between full forward and half forward lines.

Key to this will be AOS and COC. When we have the ball in our half back line, I’d like to see them almost switch positions – AOS drift in close to Barry Moran, COC to make the run to win the ball deep. Our first option should be to run with the ball from deep, but COC coming out gives us a target too. AOS drifting in gives us two big men inside, with Andy alongside them making the same runs as he’s been making all year. Dublin again showed yesterday that they don’t like being ran at – with Higgins, McLoughlin, Vaughan and Durcan we have some of the best runners in the game. Geaney caused a lot of problems when the ball went long too – twin targets of Barry Moran and AOS in there gives us options.

Excellent post Blud.

I'd disagree with re the highlighted part...I believe Tom Parsons is a superior footballer to Donal Vaughan and must start.

Hope Stephen Rochford concurs with the twin towers approach,the Dublin full back line does not look infallible.Playing Barry inside does offer a couple of options as he can drift out to the middle if so required.The quality of the ball delivery is key and let us down badly in the semi finals last year.In addition poor Aidan had little if any support.

In many ways it's a no brainer as Jason Doherty has been very under par and I'm not convinced Evan Regan is a realistic starter.

Time and time again we have been at our best against Dublin when we run at them.I'm not entirely sure if we can afford to take Zippy out of the corner?

PressRun wrote: »
    Some people really don't understand the term 'bottler'.

BRITISHinformal
    a person with little mental strength or resilience.
    "he turned out to be one of the biggest bottlers in boxing"

Bottler is a synonym for a person or group prone to unexpected failure.

Bottler
    In footballing terms the word bottler refers to a player who initially plays well but makes a huge mistake or lets the team down when it really matters. i.e missing a penalty, missing an easy chance, losing your temper and getting sent off.

You can also refer to football teams as bottlers. For example Aston Villa are well known as bottlers because they seem to always be in good form at the beginning of the season but towards the end they lose this form and end up missing out on Champions League football, despite looking like they could be the best side in the premiership at the beginning of the season.
    Eugene Dadi is such a bottler, what an awful penalty that was.

Liverpool are such bottlers this season.

It would be impolite not to turn up and at least in Mayo we will always be polite and turn up. I have supported Mayo through thin and thin all my life. There has never been any thick.

Maybe if more supporters had my attitude things would change and next time we would win. Maybe a half empty stadium would be a good thing long term and would show "the egos" in the team and county board that we are pissed off and want change and that we are fed up always losing. We need to stop being gallant losers. As supporters we need to stop giving unquestioning adoration to the team. If the "little emperors" have no cloths we need to say so.

You are right I am being negative but I have an aweful lot to be negative about. I want Mayo to be winners not losers. I want a panel who play for the team and not themselves, I want strong capable team management, I want a supportive competent county board, I want to see Mayo win an all ireland before I die. Maybe I am unreasonable

Who are these egos exactly and could you outline exactly what change you would like to see?

BRITISHinformal
    a person with little mental strength or resilience.
    "he turned out to be one of the biggest bottlers in boxing"

Bottler is a synonym for a person or group prone to unexpected failure.

Bottler
    In footballing terms the word bottler refers to a player who initially plays well but makes a huge mistake or lets the team down when it really matters. i.e missing a penalty, missing an easy chance, losing your temper and getting sent off.

You can also refer to football teams as bottlers. For example Aston Villa are well known as bottlers because they seem to always be in good form at the beginning of the season but towards the end they lose this form and end up missing out on Champions League football, despite looking like they could be the best side in the premiership at the beginning of the season.
    Eugene Dadi is such a bottler, what an awful penalty that was.

Liverpool are such bottlers this season.
    :eek:

Well done glad to hear you'll be there on All Ireland final day.;) I am sure you have supported them loyally but it has'nt been all thin.Only one team can win an All Ireland in any one year,we have no God given right to win an All Ireland.We've had many great days down through the years supporting the Green and Red.Put yourself in the position of the Kilkenny football supporters..Life is'nt fair.I do not believe for a minute we are considered gallant losers,we've been accused in recent years of being rather sore losers.

Not really on page with you re your obvious animosity towards certain members of the squad??There's egos in many squads,it's not unique to our fair county,ditto our county board as has been outlined ad nauseaum are no worse than many others.In fact I doubt you'd hear complaints from inside the squad re the county board doing everything that they so request in their quest to win an All Ireland.

We'll all be devastated if it's another loss but let's not wave the white flag just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I take it first years are back today?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Well done glad to hear you'll be there on All Ireland final day.;) I am sure you have supported them loyally but it has'nt been all thin.Only one team can win an All Ireland in any one year,we have no God given right to win an All Ireland.We've had many great days down through the years supporting the Green and Red.Put yourself in the position of the Kilkenny football supporters..Life is'nt fair.I do not believe for a minute we are considered gallant losers,we've been accused in recent years of being rather sore losers.

Not really on page with you re your obvious animosity towards certain members of the squad??There's egos in many squads,it's not unique to our fair county,ditto our county board as has been outlined ad nauseaum are no worse than many others.In fact I doubt you'd hear complaints from inside the squad re the county board doing everything that they so request in their quest to win an All Ireland.

We'll all be devastated if it's another loss but let's not wave the white flag just yet.

The most county I look at with envy and admire is Offaly population 78,000 compared to our 130,000. Since 1971 they have managed to win 3 football all irelands and 4 hurling. Why can we not even manage 1 in Football. What in gods name is wrong with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The most county I look at with envy and admire is Offaly population 78,000 compared to our 130,000. Since 1971 they have managed to win 3 football all irelands and 4 hurling. Why can we not even manage 1 in Football. What in gods name is wrong with us.

This is surely a windup?

The way things are there now they'll never win an All Ireland in either ever again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement