Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

seligehgit wrote: »
    Excellent post Blud.

I'd disagree with re the highlighted part...I believe Tom Parsons is a superior footballer to Donal Vaughan and must start.

Hope Stephen Rochford concurs with the twin towers approach,the Dublin full back line does not look infallible.Playing Barry inside does offer a couple of options as he can drift out to the middle if so required.The quality of the ball delivery is key and let us down badly in the semi finals last year.In addition poor Aidan had little if any support.

In many ways it's a no brainer as Jason Doherty has been very under par and I'm not convinced Evan Regan is a realistic starter.

Time and time again we have been at our best against Dublin when we run at them.I'm not entirely sure if we can afford to take Zippy out of the corner?

Oh I agree that Parsons is a better footballer, I just don't think he has the pace or stamina to start on MDMA. SOS doesn't either, so for me it has to be Vaughan plus either SOS or Parsons. SOS for me, but only just.

Quality of the ball in is definitely key, which is another plus for COC coming deep. DOC should be capable of delivering good ball too - it should be coming from the wing, kicked from about just outside the 45. Hail Marys from 65 yards straight down the middle just don't work - if it's a diagonal ball and the back breaks it the hrs breaking it across his own goal and not straight out the field. More difficult to defend against.

Can we do without Higgins in the full back line? Probably depends on how Barrett is going, which we just don't know. We did ok first half in 2013 with Higgins centre forward, and Harrison has been in good form. I think it's worth a go. Weirdly, I think if Dublin start Connolly out at half forward it could kill us, I think Keegan would have to follow him yet we look far better with Keegan at full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

km79 wrote: »
    It's going to be a long 3 weeks at this rate

When I saw this many new posts on the Mayo thread I thought maybe something interesting had happened at some point today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Robeman wrote: »
    The most county I look at with envy and admire is Offaly population 78,000 compared to our 130,000. Since 1971 they have managed to win 3 football all irelands and 4 hurling. Why can we not even manage 1 in Football. What in gods name is wrong with us.

Go an support them then. There has been only two times in All ireland finals where Mayo totally collapsed imo. That is in 04 and 06 and you can argue about 97. The rest Mayo have been competitive and in recent years we have been ultra competitive... just not good enough to win it.

I was critical of the team over the last few games and it was about performance and attitude but they have started to pull it together.

Are they up against it with the dubs.. most definitively but I think they will give it their all. Nobody can ask for more and you should leave the bottlers comments where it belongs and have a bit of cop on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd disagree with re the highlighted part...I believe Tom Parsons is a superior footballer to Donal Vaughan and must start.

I think he is too, but I'd wonder whether bringing him in from the bench is an approach being taken to inject some energy later on in games when it's needed? I still feel more comfortable about our midfield when Parsons is there though. I think he's slightly more mobile than Seamie and a better fielder than most.

I hope Diarmuid is right for this match. I had been wondering if he was carrying an injury during the Tipp game and did hear a couple of days ago that he hasn't been 100% right since before Westmeath. I thought he looked unhappy during the Tyrone game in particular and should have been subbed sooner. He looked a little better against Tipp, but still not totally right. His engine could be crucial against Dublin. I think we'll really need him at full tilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Excellent post Blud.

Hope Stephen Rochford concurs with the twin towers approach,the Dublin full back line does not look infallible.Playing Barry inside does offer a couple of options as he can drift out to the middle if so required.The quality of the ball delivery is key and let us down badly in the semi finals last year.In addition poor Aidan had little if any support.

In many ways it's a no brainer as Jason Doherty has been very under par and I'm not convinced Evan Regan is a realistic starter.

Time and time again we have been at our best against Dublin when we run at them.I'm not entirely sure if we can afford to take Zippy out of the corner?

That twin tower approach is something Jim Mc Guinness mentioned in his column some time ago, but firing ball in from the middle is not going to work imo with how Dublin use their sweeper.
    The way to conteract their sweeper is to run at their center with two running the wings. That way, keep their sweeper in the center as long as possible before feeding the wing to deliver diagonal ball into the towers.

One problem I can see with the twin towers is that Galvin will have seen from the Mayo team that played Tyrone that there is a doubt even in the Mayo managements minds as to dealing with the high ball into their own backline.
    It wouldn`t surprise if Galvin starts that wrecking ball O Gara at full. In which case Moran cannot be two places at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Go an support them then. There has been only two times in All ireland finals where Mayo totally collapsed imo. That is in 04 and 06 and you can argue about 97. The rest Mayo have been competitive and in recent years we have been ultra competitive... just not good enough to win it.

I was critical of the team over the last few games and it was about performance and attitude but they have started to pull it together.

Are they up against it with the dubs.. most definitively but I think they will give it their all. Nobody can ask for more and you should leave the bottlers comments where it belongs and have a bit of cop on!!

One cannot change county allegiance ever. It is just not an option.

Don't have any issue with your first point re history. As regards this team their performance todate has been awful apart from Tyrone which seemed good as they are Ulster champs so cannot deny their quality. Since last year the attitude of this team stinks.

They will give it their all on the 18th no doubt but it will not be good enough. Like an alcoholic until we admit we have a problem we cannot start on the road to recovery (an all ireland)

Mayo are in general bottlers in all irelands on those occasions they are competitive which they generally are (but not always). This is not just a problem of seniors but also other county and club teams. We cannot deny our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

One cannot change county allegiance ever. It is just not an option.

Don't have any issue with your first point re history. As regards this team their performance todate has been awful apart from Tyrone which seemed good as they are Ulster champs so cannot deny their quality. Since last year the attitude of this team stinks.

They will give it their all on the 18th no doubt but it will not be good enough. Like an alcoholic until we admit we have a problem we cannot start on the road to recovery (an all ireland)

Mayo are in general bottlers in all irelands on those occasions they are competitive which they generally are (but not always). This is not just a problem of seniors but also other county and club teams. We cannot deny our history.

History is there to be changed....

Who's going to be the casualty if O Gara comes in?I'm totally on board with the logic behind your thinking.

The only one with high, physicality and some experience to deal with him imo is Moran.
    That will mean he cannot be part of the twin tower approach and I would be sorprised if Galvin was not thinking the same.
    After what Jim Mc Guinness did to them 2014 I imagine he reads his column religiously.
    It would neccessitate someone other than Moran up front and if I was Rochford something I would spend the time on working on.
    With who is another matter.

charlie14 wrote: »
    That twin tower approach is something Jim Mc Guinness mentioned in his column some time ago, but firing ball in from the middle is not going to work imo with how Dublin use their sweeper.
    The way to conteract their sweeper is to run at their center with two running the wings. That way, keep their sweeper in the center as long as possible before feeding the wing to deliver diagonal ball into the towers.

One problem I can see with the twin towers is that Galvin will have seen from the Mayo team that played Tyrone that there is a doubt even in the Mayo managements minds as to dealing with the high ball into their own backline.
    It wouldn`t surprise if Galvin starts that wrecking ball O Gara at full. In which case Moran cannot be two places at the same time.

Who's going to be the casualty if O Gara comes in?Bernard Brogan hasn't been bringing his A game to the table in recent games but he's tormented us down through the years.BTW I'm totally on board with the logic behind your thinking.

Who's going to be the casualty if O Gara comes in?Bernard Brogan hasn't been bringing his A game to the table in recent games but he's tormented us down through the years.BTW I'm totally on board with the logic behind your thinking.

I could see it being Brogan. Hasn`t been doing it this year and substituded in every game faik.
    Kilkenny and Connolly with their pace coming in behind the balll to feed off O Gara breaking it down.
    Mayo full back in that scenario even breaking the ball away from O Gara could still cause problems for Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Brogan is certainly not having a good year. Definitely seems to be living off his reputation somewhat. Be a very very brave move to drop him for O'Gara though. Not sure I would be brave enough to do it if I was manager of Dublin!

Brogan is certainly not having a good year. Definitely seems to be living off his reputation somewhat. Be a very very brave move to drop him for O'Gara though. Not sure I would be brave enough to do it if I was manager of Dublin!

It would be a huge call for Gavin to make.TBH I can't see it happening.

Through my own work I know a little about Galvin. He is one tough single minded individual.
    If he decides on a game plan he would drop anyone. Regardless of who he is.

It would be a huge call for Gavin to make.TBH I can't see it happening.

As I said to TCD, this is an individual that makes tough calls in his profession life on a regular basis.
    If it wasn`t working he could then just send in Brogan who would arrive fired up with a point to make.
    That Dublin squad trust Gavin with their lives. They wouldn`t blink an eye if he did leave brogan on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

O' Gara won't start. We all know Dublins starting up line up. MDM and Kev Mc have nailed down the only places up for grabs.

Just on the sweeper business and the high ball. Seems a complete over analysis if you ask me. Cian O' Sullivan didn't get near any ball in the air against Kerry and still Dublin more than held their own at the back. An impressive feat when you consider the talents of Geaney and Donaghy and the players passing the ball. Dublin aren't infallible at the back no but on the evidence of this season and previous meetings between Dublin and Mayo you'd be wasting a lot of ball drilling it at big men inside. Cooper and McMahon will spoil most of it imo.

Much prefer Andy Moran, and AOS, showing for it and getting runners off that if i was a Mayoman.

As I said to TCD, this is an individual that makes tough calls in his profession life on a regular basis.
    If it wasn`t working he could then just send in Brogan who would arrive fired up with a point to make.
    That Dublin squad trust Gavin with their lives. They wouldn`t blink an eye if he did leave brogan on the bench

Ah I've a fair idea of the single mindedness of our aviator extraordinare.He is the top manager in the country for good reason.

But I don't know about the darling of the Hill... He has built up a serious bank of credit,he tends to turn it on on the big occasion and as I mentioned he has given us serious trouble over the years.

I wouldn't rule out such a move but I am more inclined to believe they'll unleash the full force of O Gara in the second half.

The Mayo County Board has distanced itself from a proposed fundraiser that was organised in New York next month.

GO TO
    A strong statement was issued this evening by the county board after reports of a fundraiser being organised in New York on September 10, a week before Mayo are due to take on Dublin in All-Ireland final.
    Mayo GAA said that this function has not been scantioned by them or Cairde Mhaigheo, the official fundraising wing of Mayo GAA.

The statement read: “A recent announcement of what been depicted as a senior football team fundraiser will take place in New York on September 10, has prompted us to release this statement.
    No fundraiser of this nature in New York has been sanctioned by Mayo GAA or Cairde Mhaigheo, the official fund-raising wing of Mayo GAA.

“We welcome all financial support for Mayo GAA, but fund-raisers must come through the proper channels so that money can be diverted to the cause of preparing our teams.
    “This year, our senior football team has once again been prepared to a very high standard. We make this investment in our teams so that they can be in the best possible condition to achieve our common goal of winning the All-Ireland senior football title. Mayo county board, team management and players are all working together to advance this goal at all times.

“To prepare all our county teams – all ages, including hurling and football – we will have an expenditure in excess of €1 million this year.
    “But funds must come through the board – it is the only way we can maintain clear control over the finances of Mayo GAA.

“Supporters can be sure that money raised at Cairde Mhaigheo functions will go directly towards preparing the various teams.
    “If anyone is unsure whether a fundraising activity is legitimately going towards the team training fund then please contact the Mayo GAA office on (094) 9250487 or any officer of the executive.

WELL WELL WELL Well

This is exactly the sort of thing I am talking about re county Board. I am surprised this did not become news sooner. Once again they are not in control of things.

The other question is for whose benefit is this unofficial fundraiser intended ? The "egos"? management hangers on ? or the team as a whole. Once again Mayo GAA has a bad smell attached to it.

This sort of thing has happened before both in US and in Ireland. A lot of innocent and well meaning supporters get taken in and god knows where the money end up. There is too much "fundraising" floating around which the county board seems unable to control.

It would be good if we could follow the cash. It would be educational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Please, just stop. It's extremely boring. I'd rather the thread wasn't clogged with your inane ramblings.

corny wrote: »
    O' Gara won't start. We all know Dublins starting up line up. MDM and Kev Mc have nailed down the only places up for grabs.

Just on the sweeper business and the high ball. Seems a complete over analysis if you ask me. Cian O' Sullivan didn't get near any ball in the air against Kerry and still Dublin more than held their own at the back. An impressive feat when you consider the talents of Geaney and Donaghy and the players passing the ball. Dublin aren't infallible at the back no but on the evidence of this season and previous meetings between Dublin and Mayo you'd be wasting a lot of ball drilling it at big men inside. Cooper and McMahon will spoil most of it imo.

Much prefer Andy Moran, and AOS, showing for it and getting runners off that if i was a Mayoman.

I can see where you are coming from but Cooper and Mc Mahon had the luxury of double teaming Donaghy for high ball coming in, able to break it knowing O Sullivan was there to tidy up in front of them.
    Split Cooper and Mc Mahon with diagonall ball coming in, as Armagh did in their heyday, where neither know who was being aimed for and O Sullivan is out of the picture.
    With twin towers Cooper and Mc Mahon aren`t going to outfield them

PressRun wrote: »
    Please, just stop. It's extremely boring. I'd rather the thread wasn't clogged with your inane ramblings.

The acticle comes from Irish Independent website. They thought it was worth publishing. It seems that in Mayo we like to push this stuff under the carpet and don't want to hear about it even though it is indicative of everything that is wrong about Mayo GAA.

• Advertisement

Ah I've a fair idea of the single mindedness of our aviator extraordinare.He is the top manager in the country for good reason.

But I don't know about the darling of the Hill... He has built up a serious bank of credit,he tends to turn it on on the big occasion and as I mentioned he has given us serious trouble over the years.

I wouldn't rule out such a move but I am more inclined to believe they'll unleash the full force of O Gara in the second half.

This guy is no Caffery playing to the hill. For him winning is all it`s about.
    I`m only speculating, and I agree that the darling may start. But I can see O Gara making an appearance and Mayo need to have a plan to deal with him.
    He isn`t the most skillful of full forwards, but he can win ball and he is a tank.

This guy is no Caffery playing to the hill. For him winning is all it`s about.
    I`m only speculating, and I agree that the darling may start. But I can see O Gara making an appearance and Mayo need to have a plan to deal with him.
    He isn`t the most skillful of full forwards, but he can win ball and he is a tank.

He's a juggernaut for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The Mayo County Board has distanced itself from a proposed fundraiser that was organised in New York next month.

GO TO
    A strong statement was issued this evening by the county board after reports of a fundraiser being organised in New York on September 10, a week before Mayo are due to take on Dublin in All-Ireland final.
    Mayo GAA said that this function has not been scantioned by them or Cairde Mhaigheo, the official fundraising wing of Mayo GAA.

The statement read: “A recent announcement of what been depicted as a senior football team fundraiser will take place in New York on September 10, has prompted us to release this statement.
    No fundraiser of this nature in New York has been sanctioned by Mayo GAA or Cairde Mhaigheo, the official fund-raising wing of Mayo GAA.

“We welcome all financial support for Mayo GAA, but fund-raisers must come through the proper channels so that money can be diverted to the cause of preparing our teams.
    “This year, our senior football team has once again been prepared to a very high standard. We make this investment in our teams so that they can be in the best possible condition to achieve our common goal of winning the All-Ireland senior football title. Mayo county board, team management and players are all working together to advance this goal at all times.

“To prepare all our county teams – all ages, including hurling and football – we will have an expenditure in excess of €1 million this year.
    “But funds must come through the board – it is the only way we can maintain clear control over the finances of Mayo GAA.

“Supporters can be sure that money raised at Cairde Mhaigheo functions will go directly towards preparing the various teams.
    “If anyone is unsure whether a fundraising activity is legitimately going towards the team training fund then please contact the Mayo GAA office on (094) 9250487 or any officer of the executive.

WELL WELL WELL Well

This is exactly the sort of thing I am talking about re county Board. I am surprised this did not become news sooner. Once again they are not in control of things.

The other question is for whose benefit is this unofficial fundraiser intended ? The "egos"? management hangers on ? or the team as a whole. Once again Mayo GAA has a bad smell attached to it.

This sort of thing has happened before both in US and in Ireland. A lot of innocent and well meaning supporters get taken in and god knows where the money end up. There is too much "fundraising" floating around which the county board seems unable to control.

It would be good if we could follow the cash. It would be educational.

I think i know who is organising this fundraiser and he would not be on good terms with the County Board. I'm not sure what more they can do but raise awareness as they have done. There you go on about egos again, who exactly are you referring to? btw if it's who i think it is , no question of funds being misappropriated but i can understand why co board want to keep control of such events.

I think i know who is organising this fundraiser and he would not be on good terms with the County Board. I'm not sure what more they can do but raise awareness as they have done.

I have my suspicions as well which may be the same as yours. If the same then I agree re Board relationship but I cannot say the same as regards relationships with "egos"

The Board could name and shame people involved.

The acticle comes from Irish Independent website. They thought it was worth publishing. It seems that in Mayo we like to push this stuff under the carpet and don't want to hear about it even though it is indicative of everything that is wrong about Mayo GAA.

Really? Connaught Telegraph had it hours before the Indo. And if it was being pushed under the carpet how come Co Board issued a statement? honestly stop making an utter fool of yourself.

I think i know who is organising this fundraiser and he would not be on good terms with the County Board. I'm not sure what more they can do but raise awareness as they have done. There you go on about egos again, who exactly are you referring to? btw if it's who i think it is , no question of funds being misappropriated but i can understand why co board want to keep control of such events.

The "egos" are those panel members who are me feiners looking out for themselves and their own personal glory and financial well being. We are probably talking about different personalities. Misappropriation does not just mean going into ones own pocket it can also mean being spent in ways donors would not agree with. E.g. being given to players for own personal use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Serious allegations being made here now
    It's gone beyond a joke

The "egos" are those panel members who are me feiners looking out for themselves and their own personal glory and financial well being. We are probably talking about different personalities. Misappropriation does not just mean going into ones own pocket it can also mean being spent in ways donors would not agree with. E.g. being given to players for own personal use.

yes and thats why the co board want nothing to do with these events and yet you're having a go at them :confused:

Really? Connaught Telegraph had it hours before the Indo. And if it was being pushed under the carpet how come Co Board issued a statement? honestly stop making an utter fool of yourself.

My comment was in response to comment in this forum not Mayo Gaa. As you have pointed out they issued a statement on matter.

I really cannot understand why I am continually on the receiving end of personal attacks rather than counter arguments.

In a couple of days I have been called a girl, a roscommon supporter, a galway one, misc other personal insults and now a fool.

I can debate this stuff in the pub with fellow mayo men who like me want what best for Mayo where I can get as good as I give. Here a lot just throw in personal remarks. The title of this page is Mayo GAA discussion part 2. Should it be renamed "Wonderful Mayo GAA where nothing is wrong and no dissent allowed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I can see where you are coming from but Cooper and Mc Mahon had the luxury of double teaming Donaghy for high ball coming in, able to break it knowing O Sullivan was there to tidy up in front of them.
    Split Cooper and Mc Mahon with diagonall ball coming in, as Armagh did in their heyday, where neither know who was being aimed for and O Sullivan is out of the picture.
    With twin towers Cooper and Mc Mahon aren`t going to outfield them

I'm full sure you can't cite one instance of that happening in the game. For the most part Cooper marked Cooper, McMahon marked Donaghy and Byrne marked Geaney. Geaney and Donaghy fit your description of 'twin towers'. Kerry played lots of good diagonal ball into them with Cooper sniffing for the breaks. Your theory was played out yesterday and Dublin coped very well for the most part.

Also, O' Sullivan will always be on the scene. Small and McCarthy are influential in working back too. Any team will be up against it winning the breaking ball against them. So, rest assured McMahon, Cooper and Byrne (even though i think he'll pick up Moran) have a huge advantage in knowing they don't have to outfield anyone. Just spoil. They've proven very good at that.

You really should quit while you are ahead...I'm not sure what exactly you think you know or do know but you should bring your concerns to the County Board instead of at the moment needlessly blackening the names of unnamed players with your as yet totally unproven and most probably unfounded allegations.You give off the vibe of a real beef with certain players for personal reasons.

yes and thats why the co board want nothing to do with these events and yet you're having a go at them :confused:

They are pussyfooting around as usual. Why do they not name and shame individuals involved and includes dates and venues involved so that nobody in any doubt that Mr X Mr Y and Mr Z are not part of Mayo GAA family.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Robeman, you seem to be on the verge of making some very serious allegations. These sort of things can get Boards into trouble instead of the person who made the allegation. So I'm going to ask you to stop before I make you stop.
    If you want to make those allegations on your own blog or on other social media outlets, go ahead and face the consequences yourself. But don't do it here.
    Pm for details. Don't reply on thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:

TBH, Brogan is ticking away under the radar, lining up well winning frees and scoring a couple from play. He scored more from play than Gooch yesterday, and won 4 frees.

I'm more concerned about Flynn's bottle when shooting.

I think johnny Cooper on A Moran will be crucial, Andy has linked things up well this year and generally does well against Dublin.
    Himself and AOS play very well together.

The COC AOS and Andy Moran interplays have been impressive this year. DOC not so much but due a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I was surprised to hear talk of dropping Brogan, I think it was suggested a few times on the Dublin thread and it spread from there. He isn't the player he was but he's still dangerous.

Keegan on Connolly is a given. I think many see Boyle on KMc. The question would be do we go all out and put Higgins on Brogan, making Brogan have to work around the field or does Harrison get him in a more containing move. The later frees up Higgins for Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Harrison has been playing very well this year, great blocker and well worth a gamble on a top forward imo. You could nearly do a johnny Cooper and stick him in fullback.

corny wrote: »
    I'm full sure you can't cite one instance of that happening in the game. For the most part Cooper marked Cooper, McMahon marked Donaghy and Byrne marked Geaney. Geaney and Donaghy fit your description of 'twin towers'. Kerry played lots of good diagonal ball into them with Cooper sniffing for the breaks. Your theory was played out yesterday and Dublin coped very well for the most part.

Also, O' Sullivan will always be on the scene. Small and McCarthy are influential in working back too. Any team will be up against it winning the breaking ball against them. So, rest assured McMahon, Cooper and Byrne (even though i think he'll pick up Moran) have a huge advantage in knowing they don't have to outfield anyone. Just spoil. They've proven very good at that.

I`m not talking about two tall physical forwards staning sise by side. I`m talking about something similar to the style Armagh used. Clarke and Mc Donnell 30 meters apart one man on each and the option to hit either with a diagonal ball from either wing. A lot more difficult to defend against and leaves the sweeper in more or less no mans land.
    Cooper and Mc Mahon are excellent footballers but if each are on a one on one with O Shea and Barry Moran they will not outfield either. Even breaking it will give them problems.
    Don`t get me wrong, Dublin are a brilliant team and if Mayo turn up playing the same formation they played against them in the past Dublin will win by 6 or 7 points.
    Mayo to win are going to have to do something different. They have no alternative imo and nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

The countdown is firmly on!!!
    So we prob hav 3 weeks of listening to or reading in most places that mayo are an also ran and wil not be fit to bridge the 65 year gap.

On paper Dublin wil win by 6 or more points the way the year has played out but an all ireland final is not played out on paper.
    This mayo team know they haven't performed apart from patchy 20 min spells in games this summer and everyone of them kno if there is 1 game to prove doubters wrong this is it.

Every other year prior to the final they hav peaked too early and the high expectations seemed 2 much. Nothing of the sort this time.
    Rochford seems astute with his tactical changes especially in last couple games and majority of substitutions hav been bang on too.

This makes me believe he will hav his homework well done on the dubs . Kerry proved yesterday we need to push up on kickouts like we did in last quarter of first game in semi last year.
    Its impossible to do it the whole game but when we get spells when we are on top in the game then that's the time to do it and keep momentum goin.

There has been little between us in championship games in recent times. In replay last year it was oversight to start match with all our midfielders on pitch and so we had nowone in last 20 mins to take control of midfield when o sheas and Barry moran legs start to tire and so we got over ran. Moran and parsons prob be on bench to come on this time to stop repeat of such, although I would start parsons but can't see it happen.

There wil be little between both teams and whichever manager gets his changes rit in last 20 mins wil win it.
    I hope it won't turn into a grudge match after hostilities in the 2 games last year and it wil be football not the referee that makes the headlines.
    Also I propose instead an extra 3 matches in future championships when we already hav had 7, that the gaa introduce extra one instead.
    A 2 leg final so the dubs wil hav to actually hav to play a big game away from home!!😉

Anyways every mayo fan enjoy the build up, especially when after the Galway loss it looked like a pipe dream, and not let it turn into a war of words or legal action! , with our Dublin counterparts!

charlie14 wrote:
    I`m not talking about two tall physical forwards staning sise by side. I`m talking about something similar to the style Armagh used. Clarke and Mc Donnell 30 meters apart one man on each and the option to hit either with a diagonal ball from either wing. A lot more difficult to defend against and leaves the sweeper in more or less no mans land. Cooper and Mc Mahon are excellent footballers but if each are on a one on one with O Shea and Barry Moran they will not outfield either. Even breaking it will give them problems. Don`t get me wrong, Dublin are a brilliant team and if Mayo turn up playing the same formation they played against them in the past Dublin will win by 6 or 7 points. Mayo to win are going to have to do something different. They have no alternative imo and nothing to lose.

But that diagonal ball tactic that Armagh used has largely been sussed no ?
    Most of the issues AOS has against decent teams is that they prevent that type of ball from going in the first place.

Stoner wrote: »
    But that diagonal ball tactic that Armagh used has largely been sussed no ?
    Most of the issues AOS has against decent teams is that they prevent that type of ball from going in the first place.

Not that I have seen against this Dublin team, and not with Rory O Carroll gone. Armagh didn`t use Clarke and Mc Donnell as target men around the square. They were positioned wider. Almost like two corner forwards at times.
    The problem I have seen with AOS is that the ball doesn`t come in diagonally to him. It`s banged in from the centre straight down his throat.
    Easier for a back to break it, and the seeper to tidy it up. If AOS does field it he has then to turn directly into the back, where in many cases he has been blown for charging, or he is forced to come out looking to offload.
    Diagonal ball gives the forward better options if he can get on a one on one. Think Murphy 2012, or the goal AOS got against Donegal from a diagonal ball in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I`m not talking about two tall physical forwards staning sise by side. I`m talking about something similar to the style Armagh used. Clarke and Mc Donnell 30 meters apart one man on each and the option to hit either with a diagonal ball from either wing. A lot more difficult to defend against and leaves the sweeper in more or less no mans land.
    Cooper and Mc Mahon are excellent footballers but if each are on a one on one with O Shea and Barry Moran they will not outfield either. Even breaking it will give them problems.
    Don`t get me wrong, Dublin are a brilliant team and if Mayo turn up playing the same formation they played against them in the past Dublin will win by 6 or 7 points.
    Mayo to win are going to have to do something different. They have no alternative imo and nothing to lose.

Is there room for Andy in that FF line or is he dropped?
    Clarke and McDonnell were forwards, much better lads at taking scores than O'Shea & Moran. The big problem I would see is that if they are winning the ball so far away from goal, in the corners, you would need to have a good few guys helping by running off them.
    That will lead to congestion and would force us to have 4/5/6 lads high up the pitch. If the ball breaks, Dublin would crucify us.

Rochford has proven he will more than likely be doing something different for the final but I don't think it'll be a 3 man FF line or dropping Andy.

They are pussyfooting around as usual. Why do they not name and shame individuals involved and includes dates and venues involved so that nobody in any doubt that Mr X Mr Y and Mr Z are not part of Mayo GAA family.

They did mention the date in their statement. Dont know why they didnt mention names, maybe for legal reasons? Anyway it's pretty clear what event they are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I must be thick or out of the loop can you tell me what's the craic

No danger of Andy Moran getting dropped,Jason Doherty's starting spot I'd imagine is the most under threat.

naughto wrote: »

Nothing happening here!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

It's a nothing story. There's a Mayo man in New York who doesn't like the county board, seems like he's set up a fundraiser that will go directly to the players and not through the CB. The County board have released a statement saying it's not official and it's nothing to do with them. No big deal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck in the final from a Waterford man

Everything comes to an end and I believe u will win the final

Mayo would shut down for the month I'd say lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Best of luck in the final from a Waterford man

Everything comes to an end and I believe u will win the final

Mayo would shut down for the month I'd say lol

It will be some month of beer

It will be some month of beer

Ive booked the week after the final off work for the last 10 years, this year i'm not 100% yet but think i have Mon, Tues, Wed off anyway. Fecking better have as im on the road at 6am Monday if not :eek:

It's a nothing story. There's a Mayo man in New York who doesn't like the county board, seems like he's set up a fundraiser that will go directly to the players and not through the CB. The County board have released a statement saying it's not official and it's nothing to do with them. No big deal really.

That is not the case, that was suggested by Robeman :rolleyes: The fella in NYC iis a big Mayo supporter but as i said deosnt get on with Co Board, im sure he would pass on whatever is raised. He has made donations to various GAA causes in the past in Mayo and didnt want any publicity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement