Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

That is not the case, that was suggested by Robeman :rolleyes: The fella in NYC iis a big Mayo supporter but as i said deosnt get on with Co Board, im sure he would pass on whatever is raised. He has maid donations to various GAA teams in the past in Mayo and didnt want any publicity.

I think we're in agreement. The man in question would 100% pass every cent on, it's just he doesn't want to deal with the CB - which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

just received email
    Tickets are €80 each. You will be seated in the Cusack Stand. You can 'Opt Out' if you wish. The cut-off time is 10am Wednesday 31st August.

We will be processing payment on Wednesday (31st August) and if your card is out of date we cannot send you your ticket(s).

Your All-Ireland Final ticket will be posted to you using the shipping address details on your Online Account so please make sure that is up to date also.

Oldtree wrote: »
    just received email

It would be one hell of a time to opt out.. "Nah you're alright GAA, I'll skip the final and will you see you all at the FBD". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

thought they might stick me in the hill

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Oldtree wrote: »
    just received email

Forgive my ignorance but is this the same as a Cairde MaighEo ticket? It's just that a mate who is going to be out of the country with work has promised me his, so doi need to get on to him?

Rockfish wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but is this the same as a Cairde MaighEo ticket? It's just that a mate who is going to be out of the country with work has promised me his, so doi need to get on to him?

Yeah, Cairde is done through Croke Park now, so he would have received the same e-mail. Money will be deducted from his account tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

PARlance wrote: »
    Is there room for Andy in that FF line or is he dropped?
    Clarke and McDonnell were forwards, much better lads at taking scores than O'Shea & Moran. The big problem I would see is that if they are winning the ball so far away from goal, in the corners, you would need to have a good few guys helping by running off them.
    That will lead to congestion and would force us to have 4/5/6 lads high up the pitch. If the ball breaks, Dublin would crucify us.

Rochford has proven he will more than likely be doing something different for the final but I don't think it'll be a 3 man FF line or dropping Andy.

I`m not saying if you play two big men like Barry Moran and AOS that the will be standing in the corners for a diagonal ball coming from the wings.
    in and around the 20 meter line with them 30-40 meters apart.
    Recieving the ball diagonally, you are not standing with your back to goal. Winning a ball there side on to goal it shouldn`t be a big ask for a county player to hit the target from there.

I could see Jason Doherty making way, and no disrespect to Andy Moran who is having a great season if he is to start in the full forwarf line I imagine Johnny Cooper would pick him up. Cooper is extremely fit fast and tenacious. I honestly don`t know how much change Andy Moran would get from him, plus it will most likely be where Dublin expect him to start and Cooper will have his homework done on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Yeah, Cairde is done through Croke Park now, so he would have received the same e-mail. Money will be deducted from his account tomorrow.

Ah right i get you now, he doesnt have to do anything as such, it's automatic, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Rockfish wrote: »
    Ah right i get you now, he doesnt have to do anything as such, it's automatic, cheers
    as long as his payment details are current. worth making sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

as long as his payment details are current. worth making sure

And his postal address, will go to that address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

With the best will in the world, I can't see anything other than a Dublin victory.

I know the Mayo players will give it everything as this particular group of players have always done and will be carried out on their shields. But I have a feeling once more Mayo will come up short, maybe by just a point or two.

If Rochford can learn from the experience of an AI final, and how to close them out, I'd be happy. Its something managers in a couple of previous finals failed to do when the game was there for the taking.

It will be a good game, an exciting game, probably like 2013, but Dublin to win again. There's been talk of them as one of the greatest teams of all time, so the 3 in a row in 2017 would be a fitting achievement and hats off to them if they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

With the best will in the world, I can't see anything other than a Dublin victory.

I know the Mayo players will give it everything as this particular group of players have always done and will be carried out on their shields. But I have a feeling once more Mayo will come up short, maybe by just a point or two.

If Rochford can learn from the experience of an AI final, and how to close them out, I'd be happy. Its something managers in a couple of previous finals failed to do when the game was there for the taking.

It will be a good game, an exciting game, probably like 2013, but Dublin to win again. There's been talk of them as one of the greatest teams of all time, so the 3 in a row in 2017 would be a fitting achievement and hats off to them if they do it.

They haven't even done the 2 in a row yet !
    There has been an awful lot of ****e talked about Sunday's game IMO
    The best game in 20 years . Give me a break. It was AWFUL for 25 minutes. Dublin strolling around . Kerry pumping aimless ball into the forwards. A mistake let's Kerry in and it's game on.
    Kerry then disappear for the last 10 minutes
    A very good last 45 minutes yes
    An all time classic NO WAY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    They haven't even done the 2 in a row yet !
    There has been an awful lot of ****e talked about Sunday's game IMO
    The best game in 20 years .
    Give me a break. It was AWFUL for 25 minutes. Dublin strolling around . Kerry pumping aimless ball into the forwards. A mistake let's Kerry in and it's game on.
    Kerry then disappear for the last 10 minutes
    A very good last 45 minutes yes
    An all time classic NO WAY

Yes there's been an awful amount of raimeis talked about the game on Sunday..game of the ages.The 2013 semi final clash was a far superior clash..People have short memories..

The 2014 semi final replay between Mayo and Kerry was exceptional.The first half of the replay last year was as good a 35 odd minutes of football as you're likely to witness.The game as a whole was absorbing until Dublin unleashed their bench.

Irrespective of the quality of Sunday's clash we face a monumental task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

People are definitely getting a bit carried away. Colm Keys ranked it as the best match of the modern era in the Independent, which I thought was a bit mad. It was an entertaining match in parts and Kerry gave it a proper lash at least, but I definitely felt the quality of 2013 semi-final was higher and, although we came out the wrong end of it, I think our semi-finals with Kerry in 2014 were about as dramatic as you could get in football. The last 10 minutes of the 2015 drawn semi-final between Mayo and Dublin was a bit mental too and highly enjoyable if only for the pure chaos of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    People are definitely getting a bit carried away. Colm Keys ranked it as the best match of the modern era in the Independent, which I thought was a bit mad. It was an entertaining match in parts and Kerry gave it a proper lash at least, but I definitely felt the quality of 2013 semi-final was higher and, although we came out the wrong end of it, I think our semi-finals with Kerry in 2014 were about as dramatic as you could get in football. The last 10 minutes of the 2015 drawn semi-final between Mayo and Dublin was a bit mental too and highly enjoyable if only for the pure chaos of it all.

Yes it couldn't have been that good, no goals from Dublin, one great and one not so great goal from Kerry.
    The two kerry Mayo games in 2014 were better imo
    2013 kerry Dublin and 2011 was better.
    Didn't really like any of that first Mayo Dublin in 2015 though horrible atmosphere at it.

• Advertisement

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Because he plays for Mayo. A team who don't have the mental toughness to be all Ireland champions. Physically I have no doubt Mayo have the ability, the players to win a game of football against Dublin. But this is an All Ireland final day in Croke Park and Mayo always collapse under the pressure, they don't have the mentality.
    to

Breaking new ground? There's nothing new about this situation for Mayo. They go to finals, they come home empty handed. 2012 vs Donegal, 2013 vs Dublin. The same thing will happen this year.

I agree. Mayo have very talented players, on their day they will beat most teams, but they won't beat this Dublin team. Dublin will be even stronger for they win over Kerry. Yesterday we saw a fantastic game of football. The two best teams in the country going head to head. Mayo don't have what it takes to beat either of them in an All Ireland final.

I disagree, I see absolutely no reason why Mayo aren't good enough to win this game. I'd like to see them push high up on those Dublin kickouts and give Cluxton something to think about.

It's a new game on September 18th. History won't have a bearing on it. Mayo need to show courage and abandon and learn from previous mistakes. History granted isn't on their side but was history on Armagh's side in 02? Or even Tipperary's side this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I disagree, I see absolutely no reason why Mayo aren't good enough to win this game. I'd like to see them push high up on those Dublin kickouts and give Cluxton something to think about.

It's a new game on September 18th. History won't have a bearing on it. Mayo need to show courage and abandon and learn from previous mistakes. History granted isn't on their side but was history on Armagh's side in 02? Or even Tipperary's side this year?

Apparently Kerry had planned to 'push up' on Dublin only when Colm Cooper was over a free. The logic being that they had time to get the press prepared and they knew Cooper would kick it dead so Cluxton wasn't going to beat them to it.

Anyway, we know what happened in the first half but watch Cluxtons first kickout of the second half in the 41st minute. Camera goes to Fitzmaurice right after Cooper scores, he makes the gesture with his hands up in the air to press, camera goes back to the game, Kerry lads are already in position and Cluxton with no hesitation bangs it right over the top of them 60 yards up the pitch. Ended up with Connolly running in open country and Kerry defenders scurrying back trying to get into position. Kerry didn't push up again in the game.

The point being Dublin adapted after the first half. Gavin probably ate Cluxton in the dressing room for his stupidity. Mayo might try it and hope Cluxton isn't under orders next day but i wouldn't hold my breath. Its more likely Dublin will prepare and take them on at their own game. Attackers won't follow the backs pushing up into midfield in anticipation of winning the breaking ball just as Connolly did. That could be disaster for Mayo if they do win it. High wire act if ever there was one.

I agree they need to be positive and can win but they'll give Johnny Cooper the kick out and they'll be right to do it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Any one no anything about the two new lads that are sapose to be added to the panel from Westport and burrishoole mark McCaffrey and tom dyra.

Big mountain of men as well

naughto wrote: »
    Any one no anything about the two new lads that are sapose to be added to the panel from Westport and burrishoole mark McCaffrey and tom dyra.

Hmm, Is Rochford going to do a Cody i wonder? (Blanchfield/Walter Walsh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The optimist in me tells me that Rochford is more tactically aware than what has gone before him.

It looks like he has been able to adapt the game plan based on who we are playing.

But the thing about it is that it's all optimism in my head, even though I know full well we have played in dribs and drabs and that Dublin are the top team in the country

90% of my waking hours are spent thinking about the game and it's all positive thoughts, it's all thoughts of Mayo winning, the scores, the final whistle, the presentation, the homecoming, the stories, they joy
    Any thoughts of heading down the NCR before Cluxton has even reached the top of the steps to collect the cup are only fleeting and gone in an instant.

It's never thoughts of a 30 something year old forward being roasted by a 20 something year old back.

And I'm not going to apologise for this optimism, it's only natural

• Advertisement

Hmm, Is Rochford going to do a Cody i wonder? (Blanchfield/Walter Walsh)

Was thinking that when I heard it, don't no if mountain men can play football.
    Does that mean two other lads miss out from the panel if there brought in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Interesting if true. Makes me wonder if Rochford has the same train of thought as myself on height in the Dublin back line.
    Then again, calling in lads at this late date could just be an attempt to play with Galvin`s head.
    Hard to say, but I cannot see Dublin doing anything radical with their back line.

Was thinking that when I heard it, don't no if mountain men can play football.
    Does that mean two other lads miss out from the panel if there brought in

What's the craic with the man mountains? Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First thoughts would be that they've been brought in for the main purpose of providing big physical athletic opposition in training / training matches over the next 3 weeks. The B side in the A vs B games would be extremely light at present and wouldn't be much of a preparation for the Dubs. Rochford has taken an opposition based approach all year, I don't think he's going to ditch that now.

Don't know much about either of them but word will probably get out in the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

First thoughts would be that they've been brought in for the main purpose of providing big physical athletic opposition in training / training matches over the next 3 weeks. The B side in the A vs B games would be extremely light at present and wouldn't be much of a preparation for the Dubs. Rochford has taken an opposition based approach all year, I don't think he's going to ditch that now.

Don't know much about either of them but word will probably get out in the next week or so.

this is what I think too
    I really really like what I've seen from Rochford
    Not afraid to try different systems etc
    Makes changes early in games
    Coincidentally these are all the things Horan failed/refused to do. For 4 years.
    The cries for him to return have died down haven't they ........

km79 wrote: »
    this is what I think too
    I really really like what I've seen from Rochford
    Not afraid to try different systems etc
    Makes changes early in games
    Coincidentally these are all the things Horan failed/refused to do. For 4 years.
    The cries for him to return have died down haven't they ........

I wasn't sure about him at the start but he has certainly won me over. We were both scratching our heads with the Higgins experiment not so long ago.

For me, he has shown enough of late to be given plenty of credit and more time, it's exciting having someone like him in charge. We're no longer predictable and we badly needed a shake up.

It's a fickle game though, the performance in 3 weeks will determine if he's a legend (win), a decent manager (close defeat) or a failure (heavy defeat) for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I wasn't sure about him at the start but he has certainly won me over. We were both scratching our heads with the Higgins experiment not so long ago.

For me, he has shown enough of late to be given plenty of credit and more time, it's exciting having someone like him in charge. We're no longer predictable and we badly needed a shake up.

It's a fickle game though, the performance in 3 weeks will determine if he's a legend (win), a decent manager (close defeat) or a failure (heavy defeat) for many.

Think it would be very unfair to label him a failure even after a heavy defeat. It's his first year, he came in at a very difficult time for all involved. He has shown that he is tactically astute and adapt game plans accordingly. He certainly deserves the full 3 years he was given at the start.

Think it would be very unfair to label him a failure even after a heavy defeat. It's his first year, he came in at a very difficult time for all involved. He has shown that he is tactically astute and adapt game plans accordingly. He certainly deserves the full 3 years he was given at the start.

I agree but it's almost a given that the season will be revised by many people if there was a heavy defeat. I wouldn't think that myself but I'm sure there would be many doing so.

A bad defeat and suddenly people will be turning today's positives into Sept 19ths negatives... too many changes, messing around with players positions, no defined plan, should have brought in more U-21's rather than looking to Andy, playing to the opposition more than ourselves etc etc. Maybe failure was the wrong word but his year will be defined by 70-75 mins.

Where are you hearing this Naughto?

Where are you hearing this Naughto?

My spies tell me

• Advertisement

My spies tell me

Fair enough, are these spies in any way reliable? or prone to a bit of BS?

Fair enough, are these spies in any way reliable? or prone to a bit of BS?

Bit of both

Bit of both

I'll go with the latter so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The two mountain men story reminds me of the Alan Murphy, was that his name ?, from Ballinrobe, who was supposed to com into Horans setup a few years back.

I would say it's just for the a vrs b games nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Can Mayo get ontop midfield and for O'Shea to get motoring?

naughto wrote:
    Bit of both

Lol.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I see Conor Lane is the ref. If memory serves me right he had to get a garda escort off the pitch in McHale park more than once! :)

The two mountain men story reminds me of the Alan Murphy, was that his name ?, from Ballinrobe, who was supposed to com into Horans setup a few years back.

Can just about remember that, yip it was Alan Murphy. A good soccer player for Galway United. Would have sworn that was pre Horan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can just about remember that, yip it was Alan Murphy. A good soccer player for Galway United. Would have sworn that was pre Horan.

No, Horan called him up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

How does everyone reckon our backs will pick up their forwards? Something like the following?

Keegan - Connolly
    Harrison - Rock
    Boyle - McManamon
    Higgins - Brogan
    Durcan - Kilkenny

That still leaves one in Paul Flynn! Would it be fair to assume Kevin Keane will be held back for Eoghan O'Gara, should he be introduced. Chris Barrett for Mannion/Andrews. Even with the number of top class backs at our disposal, their wealth of forwards is very worrying.

yop wrote: »
    No, Horan called him up

Indeed he did, I was away googling there, 2012/2013. My memory is gone, I would have sworn it was 7 or 8 years ago.

Seeing that it's going to be a long 3 weeks, here's an interview with him about that time.
    http://controvassy.com/panel-fillers-bottling-up-the-frustration-of-a-season-on-the-subs-bench/

In another search, I read that he had the misfortune of going in for knee surgery and they operated on the wrong knee!!! Great soccer player, played against him 7,9,10,12.... a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

yop wrote: »
    I see Conor Lane is the ref. If memory serves me right he had to get a garda escort off the pitch in McHale park more than once! :)

He did...but he also reffed the minor all ireland we won in 13....could be a sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

eastmayo wrote: »
    He did...but he also reffed the minor all ireland we won in 13....could be a sign.

He also reffed the Mitchels defeat in the club final this year though. Could be a bad sign. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

martyos121 wrote: »
    He also reffed the Mitchels defeat in the club final this year though. Could be a bad sign. :(

Well there go's that then.

Not sure Boyle has the strength for McManamon.

Harrison is a good tight marker I'd give him more responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Only a matter of time before we "hear" that the 2 mountainy men are flying in training!!:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I hear Conor Mortimer is back training, I also see dead people!

I hear Conor Mortimer is back training, I also see dead people!

Ummm, basing that post on your others I think we can take what u post as "interesting" :)

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=772004&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A&forum=269

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement