Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

km79 wrote: »
    They haven't even done the 2 in a row yet !
    There has been an awful lot of ****e talked about Sunday's game IMO
    The best game in 20 years . Give me a break. It was AWFUL for 25 minutes. Dublin strolling around . Kerry pumping aimless ball into the forwards. A mistake let's Kerry in and it's game on.
    Kerry then disappear for the last 10 minutes
    A very good last 45 minutes yes
    An all time classic NO WAY

To be fair it was up there. The quality of some of the scores, particularly from the Dublin forwards towards the end was outstanding.

I would rate it as better than the 2011 game and a couple other recent encounters between the two.

Kerry could have closed it out and were outstanding for much of the game. They suffered their usual final ten minutes collapse against Dublin though, or else suffered a lack of belief and tried to batten down the hatches.

Maybe not the best game of the last 20 years, but probably in the top 5. It all depends what you judge these games on. A lot of occasional followers of GAA get excited by close games and go over the top with praise. The 2006 Mayo v Dublin game is often cited as a "great game" but in hindsight both were average teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

To be fair it was up there. The quality of some of the scores, particularly from the Dublin forwards towards the end was outstanding.

I would rate it as better than the 2011 game and a couple other recent encounters between the two.

Kerry could have closed it out and were outstanding for much of the game. They suffered their usual final ten minutes collapse against Dublin though, or else suffered a lack of belief and tried to batten down the hatches.

Maybe not the best game of the last 20 years, but probably in the top 5. It all depends what you judge these games on. A lot of occasional followers of GAA get excited by close games and go over the top with praise. The 2006 Mayo v Dublin game is often cited as a "great game" but in hindsight both were average teams.

This Kerry team had nothing great about them last Sunday. They hit a good patch before half-time combined with a bit of luck and that's what made it into a contest. I'd have it nowhere near one of the best games in the last twenty years either, it had a bit of excitement but the quality on show wasn't there. I'm not having a go at Kerry either, fair play to them for making it a game but time is catching up on some of their key men and it showed. No doubt they'll be back near the top within the next couple of years, they're never far off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

F you btw seligehgit, every time I plug earphones into my phone now I have a Mayo podcast playing in the background on SoundCloud! Bloody seagulls blasting away in the background in most of them
    Edit.

Not a bad one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

The best game in 20 years . Give me a break. It was AWFUL for 25 minutes. Dublin strolling around . Kerry pumping aimless ball into the forwards. A mistake let's Kerry in and it's game on.

100% agree with this. But let them sh1te on. There is an ambush coming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

100% the hype machine were in full flow. Kerry were poor for at least 60 of the 80 mins that were played. Dublin are good but have weaknesses and are definitely beatable. Mayo could have won the drawn game last year and only capitulated in last 10 mins of replay because all their midfielders were off the pitch for various reasons. Not much difference between the 2 teams imo.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    100% the hype machine were in full flow. Kerry were poor for at least 60 of the 80 mins that were played. Dublin are good but have weaknesses and are definitely beatable. Mayo could have won the drawn game last year and only capitulated in last 10 mins of replay because all their midfielders were off the pitch for various reasons. Not much difference between the 2 teams imo.

If we were to base the teams relative merits on last year and back to 2013 there is not a massive chasm between them.But based on this year Mayo have huge ground to make up.To a man Mayo will have to play to their full potential and it may still not be good enough.Hopefully Dublin will leave their A game at home.

Recalling the 2013 final we were well on top at 4 points to 1 until that catastrophic goal and were still the better team in the first half but failed to demonstrate same on the scoreboard.

The second half was an entirely different matter,once Brogan's goal went in.In spite of Andy Moran's reply in kind we were chasing a game against a far more likely winners.The one point loss viewed through rose tinted glasses painted a much closer second half than was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

ultrapercy wrote: »

Of all teams who hype themselves up too much its Mayo.

I think a difference of Dublin having at least 4 free scoring forwards to Mayos none could be a bit of a difference

kilns wrote: »

I think a difference of Dublin having at least 4 free scoring forwards to Mayos none could be a bit of a difference

I have been talking to a number of GAA people involved in clubs and they have informed me that amongst some there is scarily lacking realism regarding the task that faces us...It's our year.Such nonsense,as though it's a roll of the dice.I go by hard cold facts and we are capable of winning the day but it's going to require a herculean effort.

I fear our lack of enough reliable scoring forwards may cost us.God I hate to be so negative,I hope I'm proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Absolutely nothing wrong with being optimistic. But thinking our opinions here will influence how either side plays on the day? That's rubbish.

Saying Dublin are going to hammer Mayo a million times doesn't increase Mayos chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 livelife

Kerry scored a total of 6 points in the second half v Dublin. Mayo could hit 6 points in 5/10 minutes the way they play. I feel they are the best
    time in Football at doing this. An inspired team is very difficult to beat no matter who the team.

Going back to the 2013 Final with more or less the same players. Mayo dominated the first half in that game but did not show it on the scoreboard.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I have been talking to a number of GAA people involved in clubs and they have informed me that amongst some there is scarily lacking realism regarding the task that faces us...It's our year.Such nonsense,as though it's a roll of the dice.I go by hard cold facts and we are capable of winning the day but it's going to require a herculean effort.

I fear our lack of enough reliable scoring forwards may cost us.God I hate to be so negative,I hope I'm proven wrong.

Hearing the complete opposite from Mayo fans back west, in fact noticeably different is the outlook i am getting. Along the lines of " we can put it up to them but they could beat us by 10 points". Have not seen one "It's our year" statement yet.

However, it is a two horse race and our opponents, whilst excellent, are mightily flawed. Plus the Dub fanbase is extremely confident this year. Remember the silence on Sunday as halftime hit? If Kerry had come out in the second half in the same vein the Dub fans werent long for turning on their heroes.

The Dubs are huge favourites and rightly so. But we are well capable of performing on the day and beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Aidan O'Shea was interviewed immediately after the semi and he admitted there and then that they weren't going to have any success if they performed on 18/09 as they had just done. I don't think there's any lack of realistic awareness of exactly what is required from them. They've got eyes in their heads the same as the rest of us.
    And I agre 're our forwards and their lack of reliability. They can't afford to miss some of the simple chances we have seen going wide so often.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Aidan O'Shea was interviewed immediately after the semi and he admitted there and then that they weren't going to have any success if they performed on 18/09 as they had just done. I don't think there's any lack of realistic awareness of exactly what is required from them. They've got eyes in their heads the same as the rest of us.

Can they deliver a full 70 performance is the question. Sometimes the big occasion brings the best out of players, sometimes not. Mayo are the one of the best teams in the country when the tails are up, we just haven't seen enough of it this year and we're still in the All-Ireland.

I don't think anyone in Mayo is too confident. I'll be going up believing we have the ability to do it but you just don't know what to expect. Who knows though.

Can they deliver a full 70 performance is the question. Sometimes the big occasion brings the best out of players, sometimes not. Mayo are the one of the best teams in the country when the tails are up, we just haven't seen enough of it this year and we're still in the All-Ireland.

I don't think anyone in Mayo is too confident. I'll be going up believing we have the ability to do it but you just don't know what to expect. Who knows though.

It is set up perfectly for a big performance from us. Whether that happens is another question but i would prefer to be in this position than coming in from an epic semi win over Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Can't say I've heard much "it's our year stuff" either. Anyone I've spoken to is barely optimistic about our chances nevermind believing it's "our year". I'll be going into it thinking that we can at the very least give them a rattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

kilns wrote: »

Thats just pure lazy posting. nothing could be further from the truth this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thats just pure lazy posting. nothing could be further from the truth this year.

Totally agree.

A lot of guarded optimism and realistic appreciation that Dublin are the best team out there and that it will take a huge Mayo effort and/or a Dublin slip up to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

yop wrote:
    Ummm, basing that post on your others I think we can take what u post as "interesting"

You're are a barrel of laughs yourself!

• Advertisement

Let's get behind our lads,they will die on the field come September 18th to bring an end to the famine.

eIPET1deQSA37c_jgzUz7R0shK7rDLIOrKUNpSkTOl2lBrTwifknqiq3E-NMHvvStKvWYhM=s157

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ulysess31

Sligo Tom, how the he'll are ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Who's posts when they are at games ? TBH when I saw the attitude after halftime and Cluxton kicking over 90 percent of the kerry team I was happier, ten minutes to go and I was even happier. Kerry weren't let come out in the same vein, their tactic had been spotted and they didn't chance it again, its a risk either way but they didn't take it again once they saw that Cluxton had the range, nuts and accuracy. Fenton allows Dublin more options here.

As the subs for Dublin came on, forwards for midfielders and halfbacks and kerry were responding by taking off their attacking players and putting on defenders. I felt pretty confident tbh and that the kerry management didn't trust the squad. This Dublin team have come back from a lot worse. They were physically dominating kerry in many areas too not all but most.

The run up the the game this year and last year was very quiet on the Dublin forum bar one or two posters. It's the same this year. Indeed the puffing was all kerry leading up to the game, ex players I mean .

I checked out the Mayo podcast last night they were pretty confident on it.
    I guess Mayo have been beaten already this year that wasn't the case when we've met recently its falsely giving the impression that Mayo are in a weakened position. That's a genuine fact, but once again this year we are discussing how the attitude of some fans may or may not influence a teams performance.
    I didn't think it did last year and I still don't. The attitude of fans will not impact on the result it might make some feel better if they win, it might add to the victory personally but not the result.

It's a hard one to call this year. I'm expecting the likes of brogan and Andrews to do well against their men, my concern again is the Dublin full back line. I think that Cluxton made a couple of mistakes the last day yes they were forced but I'm not sure that the amount of mistakes he made would normally cough up two goals. Apart from that period of time Cluxton was very good indeed his accuracy in the second half and his ability to hit Dublin men far out that did not follow their men in was very effective and accurate.

One thing the Mayo media are not building up their team that much I think that's a good position to take I do think that some of the kerry players mainly ex players were too involved and were trying very hard to influence and motivate their team, there was talk of the pressure being all on Dublin but of course it was on Kerry, you can't occupy the position of cream of the crop, underdogs and losers at the same time many of the arguments were fundamentally flawed.

Mayo are not under pressure, in the final via the back door with Tyrone beaten (again)
    Regardless Dublin have no ROC without him last year it was a draw. These big changes and surprises are mainly talked about but not acted upon. I can't see Mayo binging in new players now, they wouldn't be fit.

I think that Andy Moran will be a key player I'm switching to Byrne picking him up with Cooper on COC and McMahon on AOS if he's at FF.

Mayo should start Parsons to help hold up MDMA, I think he'd be a good sweeper he reads the game well and tackles well from lateral runs better than Boyle, i think he's Mayo's best disciplined tackler Boyle imo will hand rock too many scores.

It's going to be close again I think I suspect that whatever Mayo have up the sleeve would be best shown in the last ten minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Originally Posted by Peist2007
    However, it is a two horse race and our opponents, whilst excellent, are mightily flawed. Plus the Dub fanbase is extremely confident this year. Remember the silence on Sunday as halftime hit? If Kerry had come out in the second half in the same vein the Dub fans werent long for turning on their heroes.

After the 2013 AI final, James Horan spoke about his disappointment in the lack of vocal support from Mayo supporters, as the game was in the melting pot. I don't recall Jim Gavin ever making such a statement about Dublin supporters. So I wouldn't be too quick at getting in digs about what Dublin supporters would do in non existent, hypothetical sutuations, when Mayo supporters didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in a real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pidge.

Choose Mayo - Stevie Kelly

Choose pain, heartache, depression
    Choose to place your faith in false gods adorned with tight shorts, false tans and braids
    Choose whether or not to wear your county colours for fear of ridicule should you be at the wrong end of another hammering
    Choose false hope at the start of each FBD Cup campaign

Choose Galway as the enemy, Roscommon as an annoyance, Sligo as soccer heads, Leitrim as your favourite underdogs
    Choose to wish Padraig Joyce was born our side of the border
    Choose McHale Park as mecca, Tuam as a hay shed, Hyde as a hell-hole
    Choose to park in the old bacon factory, stand under the score board, watch the girls go by with fake tan dripping from the night before

Choose whether to travel up to Croker the day before or the morning of the big match
    Choose whether or not to take home that Tipp girl you met in Rodys
    Choose a big mighty fry before the match in your sisters place
    Choose too many pints before the match

Choose the Big Tree after the match
    Choose to go on the piss even though we lost again

Choose to hope that Maughan finally gets it right, O'Mahony hangs around if Maughan doesn't
    Choose to forget Holmes but thank him for the league title
    Choose to dream about what it would have been like if we had won in 1996, Choose to forget about 1997 and 2004

Choose to be a Garda, Civil Servant, Plasterer, Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician, Nurse
    Choose a flat in Drumcondra, Phibsboro, Rathmines
    Choose a house in Ballycullen, Carpenterstown, Lucan
    Choose Rody Bolands, the Portobello, Flannerys, Coppers, McGowans
    Choose the Manhattan, Giggs Place for eating

Choose to leave your place of birth at the tender age of 17
    Choose to go to college in Galway, Sligo, UL, UCD or get the start with the big brother in Dublin
    Choose only to return home for Christmas, Easter, the local town festival, Connacht Championship fixtures
    Choose whether or not to apply for a job in the one local factory and accept half your current wage in the hope that life will be better than the rat race in the big smoke

Choose Cox's, Rockys, Mantra, Long Necks to drink
    Choose Baxter, Volex, Coca Cola to work
    Choose Breaffy House, Castlecourt Hotel, Hotel Westport, Pontoon Bridge, Downhill Hotel to get married

Choose Enniscrone for holidays

Choose the Westhern, The Cannacht Telegraph, the Mayo News, Mis Whest Radio

Choose long summer days in the bog, driving a tractor at 12, going to the local mart as a big day out
    Choose your first car a souped up Jap import, on your mothers insurance, don't tax it until you are caught
    Choose the site your father leaves you and to build a unimaginatively designed mansion on it

Choose the two teacher school for primary education, the big school in town for secondary
    Choose to go down town for lunch, play pool in the pub, hope the convent girls notice you
    Choose getting a pint in the local at 16, seeing your father in the local disco, thinking you scored because you kissed a girl
    Choose to stand outside the church at Sunday mass choose, to always be a mammys boy

Choose Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Let's get behind our lads,they will die on the field come September 18th to bring an end to the famine.

eIPET1deQSA37c_jgzUz7R0shK7rDLIOrKUNpSkTOl2lBrTwifknqiq3E-NMHvvStKvWYhM=s157

The problem is they have never died on the field in an All Ireland final.

Each time they have underperformed.

I'm sure if I was as active on boards.ie in 2004 or 2006 I would be saying the same in the leadup about Mayo needing to get everything right etc, but on the day they just spectacularly did not perform.

Why can't Mayo be the 2013 Clare hurlers, or the 2012 Donegal footballers or even the 2011 Dublin footballers just for once and give it 100%.

I hope this time do, but history tells me they may not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Why can't Mayo be the 2013 Clare hurlers, or the 2012 Donegal footballers or even the 2011 Dublin footballers just for once and give it 100%.

At some stage they will and my fear as a Dub is that this will be the year. They are coming into this final after possibly their worst year performance wise over the last 5 years. There seems to be minimal hype whereas in previous years it was all about breaking the "curse" etc from the media. The players and camp seem to be low key and are just getting on with it. Anything can happen in a 2 horse race

I actually fear Mayo more this year than i did last year. The Clare 2013 could be upon us:eek:

This is the least hyped year I can remember, tbh. In previous years it always felt like excitement and expectation were at fever pitch and there was always talk of what was going on with the players in training, who was going well, who was likely to start, and so on. A lot of that seems to have gone very quiet this year. Most people I've spoken to are hopeful rather than optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'm optimistic and over excited.... boing boing boing

?width=608&version=2313944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oldtree wrote: »
    I'm optimistic and over excited.... boing boing boing

?width=608&version=2313944

Me too
    I'm buzzing :D
    I've had a good feeling all year if ye read back through my posts ...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Excitement is building.

A couple things that give me reason for optimism.

- Rochford not afraid to make changes during the match
    - David Clarke is for me the better man to have between the posts. He's big under high balls (and not afraid to put his body out there) and also the better shot stopper imo. The defense must be more confident with him behind them.
    - We have a great bunch of exceptionally talented footballers who on their day can take anyone to the last kick of the ball.

However, Dublin are fantastic in all departments as well. If both teams performed to their capabilities it really would be a toss of a coin to settle it but that is where Dublin's better stamina might come in.:D

At least we can be confident that the team will give it 100%, can't ask for any more (apart from getting Sam of course).

Best of luck to both teams and fans and let's enjoy it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PressRun wrote: »
    This is the least hyped year I can remember, tbh. In previous years it always felt like excitement and expectation were at fever pitch and there was always talk of what was going on with the players in training, who was going well, who was likely to start, and so on. A lot of that seems to have gone very quiet this year. Most people I've spoken to are hopeful rather than optimistic.

Hopefully that continues, I'm loving the build up (or lack thereof) this year but I'm sure we'll have a few daft songs in the coming weeks.

While it has possibly been our most underwhelming route to a final I'm probably more optimistic than before. There is a sense from the camp that it has been a work in progress / a process to get here. There's something different this year (mainly thanks to Rochford) and while it mightn't be enough, someone different was needed.

Dublin are clear favourites but when I look at possible match ups, I can make a case for us being very close. Key for me will be how we deal with Connolly, Kilkenny and Kevin Mc. You can't igore the other 3 but those 3 forwards make Dublin tick for me.

Keegan on Connolly, I wouldn't want anyone else in the world on the lovely Diarmud :) I think it's a given that they'll be reunited.

Kilkenny, I would love to see Higgins harassing him and causing him a few headaches going forward. Don't let him dictate the way / pace of Dublin's play.

Kevin Mc, I would stick Boyle on him myself, fight fire with fire.

I could spend 2 weeks alone looking forward to those 3 match ups. Midfield will be an even battle. We might have a few surprises for them up top.

The key for me outside of keeping the above trio quiet will be how we deal with the final quarter onslaught from Dublin. Do we leave the likes of Parsons on the bench and save him for the second half, I would. Himself and Conor O'Shea may play at key role is trying to halt Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There is no hype on this year at all, been through a good few Mayo towns in the last few weeks and its incredibly low key. Listening to Tipp and KK fans on RTE this morning and if what they were up to was doing in Mayo it would "Hype Mayo, losing the run of themselves" etc etc etc.

All counties have over exuberant fans, its part of the game. We dont have any more, probably actually less than some other counties.

Pidge. wrote: »

Choose pain, heartache, depression
    Choose to place your faith in false gods adorned with tight shorts, false tans and braids
    Choose whether or not to wear your county colours for fear of ridicule should you be at the wrong end of another hammering
    Choose false hope at the start of each FBD Cup campaign

Choose Galway as the enemy, Roscommon as an annoyance, Sligo as soccer heads, Leitrim as your favourite underdogs
    Choose to wish Padraig Joyce was born our side of the border
    Choose McHale Park as mecca, Tuam as a hay shed, Hyde as a hell-hole
    Choose to park in the old bacon factory, stand under the score board, watch the girls go by with fake tan dripping from the night before

Choose whether to travel up to Croker the day before or the morning of the big match
    Choose whether or not to take home that Tipp girl you met in Rodys
    Choose a big mighty fry before the match in your sisters place
    Choose too many pints before the match

Choose the Big Tree after the match
    Choose to go on the piss even though we lost again

Choose to hope that Maughan finally gets it right, O'Mahony hangs around if Maughan doesn't
    Choose to forget Holmes but thank him for the league title
    Choose to dream about what it would have been like if we had won in 1996, Choose to forget about 1997 and 2004

Choose to be a Garda, Civil Servant, Plasterer, Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician, Nurse
    Choose a flat in Drumcondra, Phibsboro, Rathmines
    Choose a house in Ballycullen, Carpenterstown, Lucan
    Choose Rody Bolands, the Portobello, Flannerys, Coppers, McGowans
    Choose the Manhattan, Giggs Place for eating

Choose to leave your place of birth at the tender age of 17
    Choose to go to college in Galway, Sligo, UL, UCD or get the start with the big brother in Dublin
    Choose only to return home for Christmas, Easter, the local town festival, Connacht Championship fixtures
    Choose whether or not to apply for a job in the one local factory and accept half your current wage in the hope that life will be better than the rat race in the big smoke

Choose Cox's, Rockys, Mantra, Long Necks to drink
    Choose Baxter, Volex, Coca Cola to work
    Choose Breaffy House, Castlecourt Hotel, Hotel Westport, Pontoon Bridge, Downhill Hotel to get married

Choose Enniscrone for holidays

Choose the Westhern, The Cannacht Telegraph, the Mayo News, Mis Whest Radio

Choose long summer days in the bog, driving a tractor at 12, going to the local mart as a big day out
    Choose your first car a souped up Jap import, on your mothers insurance, don't tax it until you are caught
    Choose the site your father leaves you and to build a unimaginatively designed mansion on it

Choose the two teacher school for primary education, the big school in town for secondary
    Choose to go down town for lunch, play pool in the pub, hope the convent girls notice you
    Choose getting a pint in the local at 16, seeing your father in the local disco, thinking you scored because you kissed a girl
    Choose to stand outside the church at Sunday mass choose, to always be a mammys boy

Choose Mayo

Can't relate to half of that. We're not all farmers down weeeesht :D With the references to Maughan/O'Mahoney and Mantra, think it was written ten years ago too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Pidge. wrote: »

Staring

Lee Keegan as Begby.
    Cora Staunton as Diane.
    Aidan o Shea as Sick boy.
    Evan Regan. as Spud.
    Andy Moran. as Renton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Id be more interested in what we do at the other end, who can we put on Cian O'Sullivan to give him something to think about?

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Staring

Lee Keegan as Begby.
    Cora Staunton as Diane.
    Aidan o Shea as Sick boy.
    Evan Regan. as Spud.
    Andy Moran. as Renton.

I'm gonna throw a glass from the stairs of The Big Tree. "A dub just got glassed, nobodies leaving here until Mayo have won Sam".

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

CrWC9zhVYAIq2mI.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

PARlance wrote: »
    Hopefully that continues, I'm loving the build up (or lack thereof) this year but I'm sure we'll have a few daft songs in the coming weeks.

started already :D

Id be more interested in what we do at the other end, who can we put on Cian O'Sullivan to give him something to think about?

At one stage I was thinking it could be Higgins but not so much now. Was Rochford's experiment of playing him up there with a view to the Dubs / O'Sullivan?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

CrWC9zhVYAIq2mI.jpg:large

I wonder what that totals to?

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    I wonder what that totals to?

Just a rough guess, about 8,000 I would say.
    Maybe 10,000 at a push with the fundraising.

50 clubs @ 80 tickets = 4,000
    Supporters Club & Panel = 4,000

Just a rough guess, about 8,000 I would say.
    Maybe 10,000 at a push with the fundraising.

50 clubs @ 80 tickets = 4,000
    Supporters Club & Panel = 4,000

Is that Hickey level of counting tickets! :) Find it hard to believe we'd get 8000/10000 tickets for AI final day ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Croke Park has a capacity of circa 80,000 and Mayo only get around 10,000 tickets, I know season ticket holders has increased since 2013 but still would have expected more tickets.

While it has possibly been our most underwhelming route to a final I'm probably more optimistic than before. There is a sense from the camp that it has been a work in progress / a process to get here. There's something different this year (mainly thanks to Rochford) and while it mightn't be enough, someone different was needed.

Dublin are clear favourites but when I look at possible match ups, I can make a case for us being very close. Key for me will be how we deal with Connolly, Kilkenny and Kevin Mc. You can't igore the other 3 but those 3 forwards make Dublin tick for me.

Keegan on Connolly, I wouldn't want anyone else in the world on the lovely Diarmud :) I think it's a given that they'll be reunited.

Kilkenny, I would love to see Higgins harassing him and causing him a few headaches going forward. Don't let him dictate the way / pace of Dublin's play.

Kevin Mc, I would stick Boyle on him myself, fight fire with fire.

I could spend 2 weeks alone looking forward to those 3 match ups. Midfield will be an even battle. We might have a few surprises for them up top.

The key for me outside of keeping the above trio quiet will be how we deal with the final quarter onslaught from Dublin. Do we leave the likes of Parsons on the bench and save him for the second half, I would. Himself and Conor O'Shea may play at key role is trying to halt Dublin.

Yep agree with those matchups excepting Keith Higgins on Kilkenny..I think they might stick Zippy on Brogan.Definitely meet fire with fire with Boyler on Kevin McManamon.I am hoping Leroy can continue to have the indian sign on Diarmuid Connolly but knowing some day Connolly is going to do a job on him.Lee Keegan struggled quite a lot on Quinlavin the last day.

Nullifying Connolly and McManamon is very important.But some other Dublin forward tends to step up to the plate...Paddy Andrews who shot the lights out in the replay whilst giving Keith Higgins a horrid time or Dean Rock who's having the season of his life.

yop wrote: »
    Is that Hickey level of counting tickets! :) Find it hard to believe we'd get 8000/10000 tickets for AI final day ;)

I'm putting a few packages together. Champagne and canapés in The Big Tree followed by a trip in the Monk's limo to CP. Will be selling them from my room in The Regency if anyone's interested.

I'm not gonna check but we've about 50 clubs afaik and assuming 80 tickets each on average is 4,000. The supporters and panel 4,000 is a safe guess. Another 2,000 might be a push for fundraising but it won't be far off imo.

Yep agree with those matchups excepting Keith Higgins on Kilkenny..I think they might stick Zippy on Brogan.Definitely meet fire with fire with Boyler on Kevin McManamon.I am hoping Leroy can continue to have the indian sign on Diarmuid Connolly but knowing some day Connolly is going to do a job on him.Lee Keegan struggled quite a lot on Quinlavin the last day.

Nullifying Connolly and McManamon is very important.But some other Dublin forward tends to step up to the plate...Paddy Andrews who shot the lights out in the replay whilst giving Keith Higgins a horrid time or Dean Rock who's having the season of his life.

Keegan seems to rise to the occasion. Watching him on Cavanagh was text book tight marking. He wasn't even watching the ball most of the time, ended up with Cavanagh getting two yellows and then to top it off, kicked two beautiful scores.

Connolly is on another level but the only man for the job is Leeroy,

Leeroy is the best man for Connolly and has done a job on him before. The only worry I have about that is that there has been a narrative building in the media over the last number of weeks about "targeting", which Lee has been part of, and Jim Gavin has been very careful to make sure Connolly is part of the conversation too (as the victim, obviously). The whole debate is being carried out with a view to influencing referees, so I think we'd just have to be careful, or more specifically, Lee will have to be careful. Our tackling has been messy enough recently too and we've been conceding a lot of soft frees, which we'll need to tidy up very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Just got confirmation of my seats. 302 in the Cusack. Nearer the hill this time. Looking forward to that deafening silence :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Are u season ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    Are u season ticket?

I am
    And just got an email saying 311
    Not happy !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement