Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

navigator wrote: »
    for some days now, I'm struggling with this totally crazy idea... to wear my Mayo shirt, jump on a plane and watch the match in some bar anywhere in Mayo... (finding a ticket for Croke Park is obviously out of question)...
    I hope to come to my senses and drop that insane idea... but maybe I'll fly to Ireland and I'll be in some bar in Westport or somewhere else on Sunday 18th september... :)
    (I am from Genoa, Italy)
    up Mayo!

That's a great idea! make sure you stay for Monday in Castlebar too. (Just in Case) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

for some days now, I'm struggling with this totally crazy idea... to wear my Mayo shirt, jump on a plane and watch the match in some bar anywhere in Mayo... (finding a ticket for Croke Park is obviously out of question)...
    I hope to come to my senses and drop that insane idea... but maybe I'll fly to Ireland and I'll be in some bar in Westport or somewhere else on Sunday 18th september... :)
    (I am from Genoa, Italy)
    up Mayo!

That's a great idea! make sure you stay for Monday in Castlebar too. (Just in Case) :pac:
    no doubt! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

seligehgit wrote: »
    I must have won the lottery

Section 308

Row L

just the right distance back from pitch. perfect imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

(I am from Genoa, Italy)
    up Mayo!

Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,351 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm doing the opposite. Herself booked our holiday from the 17th - 24th. Can't blame her too much, she said she checked with me... she must have asked after the Galway game.

I'm actually enjoying the run in now, no worries about tickets. I've all the pubs vetted. There was talk of changing the dates but I've convinced myself that I have to be out of the country for us to win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »

The Rossie gig could be a nice little side earner to his summer gig with Sky.

PARlance wrote: »
    The Rossie gig could be a nice little side earner to his summer gig with Sky.

I've always felt James Horan will only return to manage Mayo if the opportunity arises into the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

(I am from Genoa, Italy)
    up Mayo!

Were you the lad who was at the 2012 semi-final? Saw your video on the Club51 site recently.

Great to have support from different countries! If we win, get a flight to Ireland and stay in Mayo for the week. It will be a party to remember :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So which one of you is this lad from the MayoBlog?
    Jim Flag says:
    September 4, 2016 at 9:02 pm
    I wonder what is the route of our victory parade on the Monday night. Will it be just up the main street in Castlebar and then on to Mchale?
    Will something be organised to mark the moment when the cup actually crosses into County Mayo? Something like a 65 gun salute from a cannon. One for each year.
    How many are they expecting in Mchale? Surely full to overflowing?
    No fear in our players on the 18th. When you know you are going to win there is nothing to be afraid of.

The canon used for ceremonial gun salutes, is under lock and key at Collins Barracks. We've made well sure of that. :D

Bit of common sense on show:

Mayo GAA have confirmed that the third round of the County Senior & Intermediate club football championships will now be played on Saturday/Sunday October 1/2.
    The games had been originally fixed for Saturday/Sunday September 24/25 — the week after the All-Ireland Senior Football Final.
    However, after a meeting of the Mayo GAA CCC on Tuesday night, a decision was taken to push the games back by seven days.

Via The Mayo News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Not happy in 301

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    So which one of you is this lad from the MayoBlog?

The canon used for ceremonial gun salutes, is under lock and key at Collins Barracks. We've made well sure of that. :D

lol, theres alway one idiot! Plenty of reseivordubs and the other dubs fans pages as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mayo GAA have confirmed that the third round of the County Senior & Intermediate club football championships will now be played on Saturday/Sunday October 1/2.
    The games had been originally fixed for Saturday/Sunday September 24/25 — the week after the All-Ireland Senior Football Final.
    However, after a meeting of the Mayo GAA CCC on Tuesday night, a decision was taken to push the games back by seven days.

Via The Mayo News
    NO IDEA why they didn't do that in the first place
    Even if just in the event of a draw and replay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I see some people are already planning the victory parade before a ball has been thrown in.

Dublin will be only too delighted to see that carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I see some people are already planning the victory parade before a ball has been thrown in.

Why? It won't actually have any bearing on the actual outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think the Dubs have other things to be thinking about other than what is or isn't happening in Mayo, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Via The Mayo News

It's going to be a squeeze to be done for the club provincials.

Unavoidable scenario unfortunately

How Croker looks to day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

302 here...sickner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just wondering - are the ST holders with worse tickets (outer blocks of Cusack) in seating groups or on their own?
    I'm flying solo, got 309, it's definitely not the worst ticket as it's far enough back to get a decent perspective.

I think Croke Park need to be clear on how many ST holders are in each county in the final and where they will be seated.
    This random allocation just leaves dedicated fans disappointed due to the lack of transparency in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just wondering - are the ST holders with worse tickets (outer blocks of Cusack) in seating groups or on their own?
    I'm flying solo, got 309, it's definitely not the worst ticket as it's far enough back to get a decent perspective.

I think Croke Park need to be clear on how many ST holders are in each county in the final and where they will be seated.
    This random allocation just leaves dedicated fans disappointed due to the lack of transparency in the process.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.
    Dublin and Mayo have the highest subscription of STs, so someone is going to end up in worse seats than others no matter how transparent you make the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Stop complaining about where you're sitting in the stadium! You're in. You have the golden ticket in your hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dublin and Mayo have the highest subscription of STs, so someone is going to end up in worse seats than others no matter how transparent you make the process.

Yep. There are 10,000 season Dublin & Mayo season ticket holders, 5000 per county. They can't all sit in the best seats between the 45's, as much as they might want to.

I'm not complaining about my allocation just trying to get an idea of maybe why some folks got pushed out to 301/311.

Also, see my post in the ST thread re Competition for tickets in Cork for Cusack, 307 RR tickets.
    Croke Park are assigning free tickets which are then getting raffled off. These freebies are in better locations than some season ticket holders are getting assigned, which I don't think should be happening.

Of course you can't seat all the Mayo & Dublin ST holders in 305/306, but it should be possible to host them all (bar the Dub Hill ST holders) in fairly central lower or upper deck blocks without having to assign seats in 301 or 311.

Don't want to start an argument on it, was just making an observation in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm not complaining about my allocation just trying to get an idea of maybe why some folks got pushed out to 301/311.

Also, see my post in the ST thread re Competition for tickets in Cork for Cusack, 307 RR tickets.
    Croke Park are assigning free tickets which are then getting raffled off. These freebies are in better locations than some season ticket holders are getting assigned, which I don't think should be happening.

Of course you can't seat all the Mayo & Dublin ST holders in 305/306, but it should be possible to host them all (bar the Dub Hill ST holders) in fairly central lower or upper deck blocks without having to assign seats in 301 or 311.

Don't want to start an argument on it, was just making an observation in the first instance.

Season ticket holder (3) since 2009. Seating group set up since 2012 (same 10 every year) Tickets arrived this morning, 302 Y.

There are 3,700 approx Mayo season ticket holders that qualified for final tickets. I'd estimate there's about 4,200 season ticket in Mayo between Croke PArk and Cairde Mhaigheo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

306, can't have any complaints with that! Last final we got put near the Davin with the rest of the season ticket holders, so happy out with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Got tickets in post, lovely. Gonna be a long week, I am ragged at this stage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have just got a pair of tickets from one of the title sponsors of the All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Over the moon !.

They are in the post so I don't know what section yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

naughto wrote: »
    Not happy in 301

I will take them so:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Pidge.

Kalyke wrote: »
    I will take them so:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll take one, you can have the other? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

How do ye think the team, and particularly the back line, will setup next week?

You'd imagine Keegan would be on Connolly again. After that it's hard to know what is going to happen!

I'd say Keane won't start and also feel that Parsons may be on the pitch from the get go. Also wondering is there any merit in Freeman or Barry Moran being put into the front line as well just so that instead of working our way up the pitch through the full team of Dubs, we could send in a few high balls? Reason I say this is that the worst thing that could happen is having our forwards starved of the ball. At least with some good height and solid hands we should be able to give them something to work with.

The six o'clock angelus has now been replaced by the Green and Red of Mayo in our house!

Any else hear Keegan being injured?

Oh please god no

Iam going to wait till I hear more

Source is NOT reliable. Hope it's sh1te

Iam going to wait till I hear more

I said after semi Rochford and the team have been lucky in a few ways this year BUT we need luck to win the final. Starting with no injuries to key players that always seem to affect us and not the opposition in the run up to finals :(
    And one thing about this year is that if there is an injury we probably won't find out till just heifer throw in Sunday

naughto wrote:

Same craic every time

Same craic every time

There is no smoke with out fire westernyelp I don't see much input from you in this thread. It's a week to the game and the thread is flat

Sorry wester I thought u where some one else that I have on ignore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Ha! We are all on Tenterhooks at the moment. Wasn't getting at you Naughto

• Advertisement

The only thing that's bothering me is we where playing unreal football over the last few yrs and only managed to draw with them . We are playing pure sh1te this yr and expect it to change in the final that's what worries me.

Wasn't ment for this thread but I'll leave it here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The only thing that's bothering me is we where playing unreal football over the last few yrs and only managed to draw with them . We are playing pure sh1te this yr and expect it to change in the final that's what worries me.

Wasn't ment for this thread but I'll leave it here anyway
    If Mayo attempt to just play a normal game of free flowing football against the Dubs they will lose 9 times out of 10. Mayo need to do something unexpected in terms of tactics.

The problem is Mayo teams (both club and county) ALWAYS do the expected. Incredibly predictable team in finals. Dublin will win with a few points to spare, similar to the hurling I'd say.

If Mayo attempt to just play a normal game of free flowing football against the Dubs they will lose 9 times out of 10. Mayo need to do something unexpected in terms of tactics.

The problem is Mayo teams (both club and county) ALWAYS do the expected. Incredibly predictable team in finals. Dublin will win with a few points to spare, similar to the hurling I'd say.

Predict Rochfords starting 15 and the exact positions they will play so ......

Yeah, of all the criticisms that could be levelled at Mayo this year, being predictable is hardly a reasonable one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm certain Rochford has a trick or two up his sleeve for the final. The thing is I've no idea what it could be but I just don't see us getting into a conventional scoring match with that talented Dublin side, we have to be cute to win this and that's one thing Rochford is in his management.

Horan was a very good manager but predictable, as were H&C last year to an extent (apart from starting Drake in the semi of course). That predictability has gone out the window this year and we're better for it in my opinion.

Dublin are favourites and rightly so but I see us throwing them a curveball that they'll have to adapt to, because breaking their usual pattern and scoring rhythm would go a long way towards an All Ireland victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Don't forget to give some credit to Tony McEntee. I don't think his contribution can be under estimated. That tactical resilience from Ulster football is a strength and I really like the way he is working the sideline, communicating with players and amending the plan as the game progresses.

Rochford is in his first season as an inter county manager so he is learning as well. Plus the structures that Horan had in place are standing in good stead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Dublin, who are rightly favourites have my admiration because they are not as defensive as the northern teams, they try to beat teams by outplaying them, by running more, being fitter and stronger. They give others the chance to attack. This suits Mayo, they have always matched Dublin in the fitness stakes and indeed in strength. Mayo should have a real cut and leave nothing out there, would love to see them win.

Tis quiet in these parts, is everyone nervous as hell?

Can't wait til Sunday. Still have plans to be finalised, make a weekend of it, or just there and back on the day.
    Haven't booked Monday off yet, but have given advance notice that if we win, don't expect me in til Wednesday.

Surprisingly don't feel too nervous at the moment. Looking forward to the weekend though. I'll probably be a bag of nerves on the day, but not feeling too bad right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Do both teams get a training run in Croke park ahead of the final?

For example, do the Mayo team get access to the pitch and have a training session for an hour or two on the Tuesday?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement