Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laying new grass in garden

Options
  • 02-09-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

I must admit im a complete noob in the gardening department.

In fact, i havent a notion of what to do.

My side garden was completely over grown with weeds, nettles etc....

Yesterday, i strimmed and cut all the weeds down, sprayed the whole garden with weed killer, and then covered the whole lot with tarpolins to keep the sun from the soil ,which im hoping will aid in killing all the old weeds.

At the minute, the grass part of the garden (80 square metres) is about 4-6 inches lower then the drive, so either way im going to have to get a few tonnes of top soil to being the garden up level.

But this is where im snookered. In a few weeks when i take up the tarpolin to hopefully see a dead garden, can i just lay the new top soil on top of that old soil?

Will i have to rotovate the current soil before adding the top soil, or do i have to lay some form of mesh and then whack the top soil on top of that?

My plan is to get the roll out soil because i did the front garden a few years back and i wasnt happy with the shading when i used grass seeds.

Any help would be great, because as i said, i havent got a notion of what should be done here :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

why do u need to lift it up level?
    what sort of weedkiller did u use.
    You should have sprayed the weeds before u chopped them:)
    A lot of work wit fresh soil: I would just spread a 1/2" layer of sand on the existing and roll out the ready made grass.
    plenty video on u tube

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

why do u need to lift it up level?
    what sort of weedkiller did u use.
    You should have sprayed the weeds before u chopped them:)
    A lot of work wit fresh soil: I would just spread a 1/2" layer of sand on the existing and roll out the ready made grass.
    plenty video on u tube

Well the current "grass", if i can call it that, is 6 inches lower then the driveway. But id rather the driveway and garden be on the same level.

and my main reason for wanting to use top soil is the current soil is fairly rough, because ive the soil is kind of riddled with loose chippings from when i laid paving stones out in the back garden.

i should have said, this is my side garden, so when i was doing any work out in my back garden, id store all the toone bags of sand, chippings etc in the side garden, so now the soil is just kinda crappy

Advertisement