Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your experiences of Ruby Woo lipstick

Options
  • 02-09-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Ok ladies I've heard raving reviews about this lipstick and after hearing it's supposed to suit every complexion I bought one.
    Now I don't have a MAC store near me so I ordered through BT, thinking I probably wasn't taking a risk as its supposed to suit everyone.

I'm pale skinned, mid brown hair, a young looking 40. I would be a Winter in that colour thing. Jewel colours suit me - fuchsia, blue, purple.
    I was really excited and tried it on today but to be honest, I don't know if it's the shock of a scarlet lip - but It's very different and I think it makes me look older. The matte effect really doesn't help.
    Maybe it would look better as a night time look?
    It does bring out my green eyes though (red & green are complimentary) but not sure if it's making my complexion older?

I've worn bright lipsticks before - they warm up my face no end.

What do you think? Are there some complexions that it just doesn't suit? Am I fooling myself?

I took a picture of me wearing it and I really can't tell if it's the contrast that's throwing me, or it actually makes me look older.
    I asked my Mum who isn't a fan of red lipsticks at all - she didn't like it but only because she dislikes red, but she did say it made my teeth look great! Ha!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I adore this lipstick and am on my third tube of it! It's true that because it's a cool tone, it suits a lot of Irish skintones. Could it be the case that you are warm skin toned and hence it doesn't suit you?
    Which do you wear-gold or silver jewellery? If silver suits you better than gold then it's likely that you are cool skin toned and therefore Ruby Woo should suit you. If gold is better on you, then Ruby Woo might not be the colour for you, sorry!!!
    I think with Ruby Woo it's really important to line your lips correctly. My lips are quite big so the colour suits them. I am not sure if it would suit thinner lips?-dark colours make thin lips look thinner generally. If your lips are a little thin then you could add a little shade of brighter colour in the centre of your lips on top of the Ruby Woo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I'm a cool Winter Galway girl, silver jewellery and winter colours look good on me.
    I think it's the contrast that's throwing me - pale skin and bright red lip. It's very dramatic and that's what could be throwing me?
    I really want to love this lipstick as it's a gorgeous shade. I always loved that old fashioned scarlet lip and didn't know if it would suit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

My lips are normal sized - not thin, not massive.
    The photo I took makes them look a nice shape.

I remember reading before to stay away from matte as you get older (matte powder on face, for e.g.) as it's very aging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I don't necessarily agree with staying away from matt just because you are 40+! Just moisturise well..skin and lips or wherever you are going to use the matt makeup. You can use say a matt powder but put some highlighter on your face in strategic places. Anyone who wears Matt all over will look drab!
    So you are cool toned...then the colour should suit you. If you rub a bit off the back of your hand you should see a kind of blue shade running through it?..this is why your teeth will look so white against it! If you are going for a dramatic look and you aren't used to it, then I wouldn't be doing a smokey eye or anything with it too (just yet anyway!)...keep the rest of the colours on your face nice and neutral for the moment. You'll get loads of inspiration on YouTube or Pinterest for example. Just make sure to line your lips...not necessarily in red..a lip liner close to your natural colour would be nice too. Just blend well. I think the lip liner is key. I was at a wedding recently and a girl at my table was wearing Ruby Woo and the colour was bleeding into all the small creases around her mouth. Looked awful. Use a good lip balm and keep your lips in good shape as matt will highlight dry and cracked lips. It's an easy colour to wear..you are just not used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Love Ruby Woo and I'm very pale cool toned and would normally steer clear of bright lip colours but Ruby Woo really does seem to work well on fair complected people. Think it takes getting used to tho if you're not used to bright coloured make up. I wear it around the house sometimes to get used to seeing it on myself in advance of wearing it out to a wedding etc. I'd say give yourself time to get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

How much is Ruby Woo? It's definitely well known.

OP, could you tone it down to start with, maybe, by adding some lipbalm? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

ash777 wrote: »
    How much is Ruby Woo? It's definitely well known.

OP, could you tone it down to start with, maybe, by adding some lipbalm? :)

Mac lippies are €20 in Bt's and €16.50 in the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This is my all time favourite product. I adore it. I have been wearing it for about 6? Or so years now and never got sick of it. I would be very very pale, very dark hair and blue eyes. It definitely took me wearing it a few times to get used to it, but I think it's just beautiful on.

Advertisement