Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSX PC

Options
  • 02-09-2015 10:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

What is your budget? €750. Can go a little bit more if needed.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? FSX.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Maybe (4gb RAM)

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and Speakers: No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No.

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Next few weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I know someone who can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4690k 250
    CPU cooler 40
    Z97 90
    8gb RAM 50
    1tb HDD 50
    GTX 750 100
    case 50
    Total €610 or something, windows is 20

Any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

ntel Xeon E3-1231 250.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 EILAX

i5 4690k 250
    CPU cooler 40
    Z97 90
    8gb RAM 50
    1tb HDD 50
    GTX 750 100
    case 50

Any questions ask away

Thanks for the list! Just wondering what the case is called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i5 4690k 250
    CPU cooler 40
    Z97 90
    8gb RAM 50
    1tb HDD 50
    GTX 750 100
    case 50

Any questions ask away

Yeah I agree with Sterling that the Xeon is a better option here, same price and a much better suited CPU. To get value from the 4690K he'd have to be overclocking. No need for a CPU cooler either, stock one is fine, or a Z97 in this case.

Use the savings to buy a nice 240GB SSD. Could also beef the graphics to GTX750Ti though if its solely for FSX I know the game isn't that graphically intensive.

FSX is Dual Core iirc, so an OC'd i5 is better imo. Probably won't trouble a Xeon I guess

• Advertisement

FSX is Dual Core iirc, so an OC'd i5 is better imo. Probably won't trouble a Xeon I guess
    Yeah I agree with Sterling that the Xeon is a better option here, same price and a much better suited CPU. To get value from the 4690K he'd have to be overclocking. No need for a CPU cooler either, stock one is fine, or a Z97 in this case.

Use the savings to buy a nice 240GB SSD. Could also beef the graphics to GTX750Ti though if its solely for FSX I know the game isn't that graphically intensive.

Ok, probably go for the 4690k, What case would be compatible with all the parts?

Any ATX case, look at BitFenix and Zalman for low price ones

Any ATX case, look at BitFenix and Zalman for low price ones

Zalman T4 mini tower?

Just bought the Zalman T4 Case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just be aware if you're getting the 4690K you have to overclock it to get value from it - otherwise you might as well get a non-K i5. The only difference with the more expensive K model is that you can overclock it.

I only agreed with the Xeon because he stated he's not willing to overclock, and at the same price point the Xeon is a considerably better all around CPU than the base i5-4690.

For the OP:

i5-4690 - 3.5Ghz, 6MB Cache, 4-core, 4-thread.
    Xeon 1231 V3 - 3.4Ghz, 8MB Cache, 4-core, 8-thread.

Obviously if you get the 4690K and overclock it to 4Ghz+ it's going to be better with applications that don't make use of more than 2 cores though.

If you get the Xeon you dont need either a Z97 or a third party cooler, which will save you a further €70 euro. And again just to remind you that without overclocking, the Xeon is hands down the better CPU.

• Advertisement

Apologies missed that in the OP. Youll need to overclock to get the full benefit from the i5 as Terror has pointed out

Would an i3 4160/4170 be worth shouting about Terror? Given its an FSX build, the out of box 3.8ghz of a 4170 could be a good option.

Apologies missed that in the OP. Youll need to overclock to get the full benefit from the i5 as Terror has pointed out

Would an i3 4160/4170 be worth shouting about Terror? Given its an FSX build, the out of box 3.8ghz of a 4170 could be a good option.
    Just be aware if you're getting the 4690K you have to overclock it to get value from it - otherwise you might as well get a non-K i5. The only difference with the more expensive K model is that you can overclock it.

I only agreed with the Xeon because he stated he's not willing to overclock, and at the same price point the Xeon is a considerably better all around CPU than the base i5-4690.

For the OP:

i5-4690 - 3.5Ghz, 6MB Cache, 4-core, 4-thread.
    Xeon 1231 V3 - 3.4Ghz, 8MB Cache, 4-core, 8-thread.

Obviously if you get the 4690K and overclock it to 4Ghz+ it's going to be better with applications that don't make use of more than 2 cores though.

If you get the Xeon you dont need either a Z97 or a third party cooler, which will save you a further €70 euro. And again just to remind you that without overclocking, the Xeon is hands down the better CPU.

Thanks for the advice! Would the I3 be much cheaper?

You should stick to the i5.

I know that game debate or fsx game site say it only requires a duel core. But I'd never go by them.

Look up forums of people playing the game. they all recommend i5 and i7 with decent gpu.

You should stick to the i5.

I know that game debate or fsx game site say it only requires a duel core. But I'd never go by them.

Look up forums of people playing the game. they all recommend i5 and i7 with decent gpu.

Ok, I`m going for the I5 4690K then.

EILAX wrote: »
    Ok, I`m going for the I5 4690K then.

Have you looked into overclocking, what is involved and that.

List your parts so far and price.

Have you looked into overclocking, what is involved and that.

List your parts so far and price.

Haven`t looked into overclocking, not sure if I will or not.

CPU: I5 4690K (250ish) - Not Bought
    HDD: 1TB HDD Caviar Blue 7200RPM (40) - Not Bought
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH224DB (12) - Not Bought
    GPU: GTX 750 TI - Not bought (don`t know what make to buy, also not sure if I should get this particular card or something else)
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb 1600mhz (2x4) (50)
    MOBO: A Z97, something reasonable
    Case: Zalman T4 Case (43) - Bought, waiting on delivery

Rough total/estimate: 620euros excl. delivery

If someone could suggest a suitable GPU and MOBO that would be great, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

If you're not going to overclock, then don't get the Core i5 and instead get the Xeon as Terror has stated.
    GPU: GTX 750ti or an R9 270X will do.
    Mobo: Z97 MSI PC-Mate series for under €90 are great.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    If you're not going to overclock, then don't get the Core i5 and instead get the Xeon as Terror has stated.
    GPU: GTX 750ti or an R9 270X will do.
    Mobo: Z97 MSI PC-Mate series for under €90 are great.

Ok, Thanks! I think I will overclock maybe after reading some reviews.

Case just arrived. Hoping to get more parts in the next few days. Does anyone know of any good shops in Dublin for computer hardware at affordable prices? I`ll probably just buy online though as Maplins are way too pricey. Looking at a Corsair CX500W Bronze, is this enough power for the build?

Yeah it is. You won't find retailer prices close to what online offers

• Advertisement

Yeah it is. You won't find retailer prices close to what online offers

I`ll probably go for computeruniverse or scan.co.uk.

Just finalized my pc parts list and price, ordering from scan.co.uk: price in pounds:
    I5 4690K : 186.18
    600w Corsair Builder Series: 59.00
    1tb WD Blue HDD: 40.00
    DVD RW: 10.00
    2gb ASUS GTX750Ti: 121.00
    Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3: 87.50
    RAM: Using 4gb crucial from other PC, will buy another stick at a later point along with windows 7.
    Total excl shipping: 700 euros (rough estimate)

Advertisement