Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solcitors fees for selling a house 2015

Options
  • 27-08-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Just about to put my house on the market and I noticed this thread about solicitors fees for the sale of a house. My current solicitor wants to charge a % of the house price which doesn't seem competitive with previous posts on here.

Has anyone experienced a house sale recently and can give me an idea of current solicitor costs for handling the sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Look for solicitors outside your area. Anyone can do the paper work for you. Even though mine was 2 towns over, we did everything over email. Only time I had to go to the office was to sign the final paperwork. This could even be done by registered post if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcoppard

Did you get the work done for a fixed fee or did they charge a percentage of sale price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

it's all fixed fee ( or it was 2 yrs ago when we bought). Typically 800-1100 euro was the going rate for the solicitors fee and then the typical charges on top (land registry...etc.).

just googled a few solicitors in Dublin, all still advertising fixed fees...

bcoppard wrote: »
    My current solicitor wants to charge a % of the house price which doesn't seem competitive with previous posts on here.

Remind him it's not 2005 and to politely f**k off

My current solicitor wants to charge a % of the house price which doesn't seem competitive with previous posts on here.

Has anyone experienced a house sale recently and can give me an idea of current solicitor costs for handling the sale?

I had a recent quote of 0.5% for solicitors fees. The total would be around 2% when everything is included ie 1% stamp duty, land registry fees, searches, vat etc...

• Advertisement

This is complete robbery. The amount of work a solicitor has to do is the same no matter what the price of the house.

I have now got a quote for a fixed fee of €900 + vat + extras so total amount will be in the region of €1100.

I have now got a quote for a fixed fee of €900 + vat + extras so total amount will be in the region of €1100.

I'm assuming the extras cover , land registry fees , these are 750e. So the real cost will be closer to 2k. Just in case the solicitor hasn't fully explained that. Although you probably mean 1100 just for the solicitor fee (not the extras) , which be right if you added VAT to the 900euro.

I was unaware that I would have to pay land registry fees when selling a house. I thought that only applied to buying?

I was unaware that I would have to pay land registry fees when selling a house. I thought that only applied to buying?

Yes, sorry if i sent you astray; my quote was for buying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Split into a new thread, previous thread was four years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Just about to put my house on the market and I noticed this thread about solicitors fees for the sale of a house. My current solicitor wants to charge a % of the house price which doesn't seem competitive with previous posts on here.

This practice is forbidden by the Law Society and as my old boss once said "went out with the Dinosaurs." do not agree to it. The Solicitor is obliged by aw to provide you with an actual estimate (not a percentage) of their fees before starting the work.

Land registry fees are paid by the buyer so they won't arise. Sometimes (although rarely enough these days) the solicitor will pay for things like Mapping or architects reports if they are required, if so you will have to reimburse the Solicitor for these.

Advertisement