Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Bray / Greystones to Dublin

Options
  • 03-09-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

G'day folks.

I am moving to Ireland from Australia in a few weeks and will be working in Ballsbridge, Dublin.

I have a stay at home wife and baby daughter, and dog! Can someone please provide some pointers on driving into Ballsbridge from either the Bray or Greystones area? I know the DART is an option and that's great but I really want to understand what the drive is also like from these and surrounding areas. I don't mind an hours drive but is that a realistic expectation? I will initially be renting in Dublin City centre with the family following over in a couple of months -so I have time to scope out the areas and do a bit of on the ground research.

We are also considering Kildare (Naas and surrounds) but the advice I have received on that front is that the commute would be a nightmare.

Really appreciate your views and guidance re Co. Wicklow.

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Mark
    It comes down to your working hours. If you leave early, say pre 7am,you'll easily make it to ballsbridge from Greystones in an hour. If you leave at 8am you won't. Not during school term that's for sure.

You can go the other way and leave later.

But if your working in ballsbridge the dart is really the best bet from either Bray or Greystones. Sit back and let the train take the strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozzy_mark

Awesome... Any views on if I had to drive to the DART the parking situation at either Bray or Greystones? Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Driving to Ballsbridge in peak morning traffic is a bit of a pain. You may not mind the idea of being in a car for an hour, but unless you've had to deal with Irish drivers in the rush hour, nothing prepares you for the mind-numbing stupidity and arrogance of some drivers on the N11! Personally, I prefer to take the bus as I live and work close to the bus stops at either end, but obviously the Dart would suit you better. There's a large (and free) park and ride a couple of minutes stroll from the Dart station in Greystones. Parking in Bray is pay and display on street or in a small car park next to the station. Greystones to Lansdowne Road takes about 45-50 mins.

Greystones is a fantastic place to live and particularly for a stay at home parent, there's plenty to keep mother, child and dog occupied every day, particularly if your wife likes coffee shops - we've a couple of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

This is the bus option, goes fairly close to Ballsbridge.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84x2/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozzy_mark

Thanks all, especially the extra advice on Greystones! I will be checking it out the moment I arrive, everything I have heard so far suggests DART is the way to go. Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Cycling is also a viable option from Bray on a daily basis is also an option. It's 17km each way and practically flat. You'll do that in under an hour no problem 365 days of the year regardless of what time you leave or how heavy the traffic is.

It's a more difficult and longer cycle from Greystones, quite a few people still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

I'm in same boat, contemplating move to Bray.
    Commute to Terenure though. Is the M50 northbound from Bray the whole way in at rush hour?
    I drove the N11 in once before the summer and it was soul destroying!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

The M50 is heavy from Cherrywood to Firhouse and extremely heavy from Firhouse to the red cow. Presume you'd be off at Tallaght. I am not sure what the traffic is like off the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

I live in Greystones - about a 20 minute walk from the centre on the road to Bray.
    I get the 84X between 7.25 and 7.30am every morning, get off at Donnybrook and walk to Ballsbridge to be in work for 8.30am :)
    I also get it home at about 5.45pm from Donnybrook and get home at about 6.35/6.40
    It is reliable and pretty handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

The M50 is heavy from Cherrywood to Firhouse and extremely heavy from Firhouse to the red cow. Presume you'd be off at Tallaght. I am not sure what the traffic is like off the motorway

Yeah probably off at Tallaght, so might escape the really bad traffic. Is it stop-start from Cherrywood to Firhouse or just slow moving?

Good to know about the 84x. Are there private buses catering for daily commuters too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

fuse wrote: »
    Yeah probably off at Tallaght, so might escape the really bad traffic. Is it stop-start from Cherrywood to Firhouse or just slow moving?

Good to know about the 84x. Are there private buses catering for daily commuters too?

i commute from greystones to blanch most days and it depends on the time you leave.... peak hours it will be slow enough but moving northbound.... it gets heavy between Cherrywood and Stillorgan until it turns into 3 lanes and then heavy again as you come to firhouse... exiting at tallaght you'll miss most of the heavy m50 traffic

coming home at peak times can be a pain though, can be standstills coming up to the n11...

Advertisement