Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Night Manager [AMC/BBC] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've just started reading the book. I read somewhere that the TV series will be "contemporary" - which I take to mean that it won't be set during the First Iraq War, but will be set in ... whatever the heck we're going to call the current Middle East situation. Since the article, more names have been cast: in addition to Tom Hiddleston as Jonathan Pine (the titular Night Manager) and Hugh Laurie as billionaire Richard Roper (a.k.a. "the worst person in the world"), we also have Olivia Colman as Burr, Tom Hollander as Corcoran, and Elizabeth Debicki as Jed. David Harewood also pops up in an unspecified role.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

There are some interesting updates in a USA Today article here. The series drops in the USA in April, presumably around the same time on BBC.

Colman's pregnant (Angela Burr) was Leonard Burr in the book - apparently Le Carré has approved that change. (I'm about 1/4 the way through the book at the moment, so this had me going "heh?" for a minute.)

The_Night_Manager_3545309b.jpg

L-R: Hugh Laurie as Richard Onslow Roper, Tom Hiddleston as Jonathan Pine, Elizabeth Debicki as Jemima "Jeds" Marshall, Olivia Colman as Angela Burr. Tom Hollander as Major Corkoran.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Oh, and there's not just one trailer, but two:

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book at the moment. Most of the characters in there are flipping mental, and there are going to be plenty of opportunities for the actors to chew on the scenery. The trailer shows quite a bit of Hugh Laurie, understandably, but Tom Hollander could be spectacular as Major Corkoran, a character that so far looks like a cross between Vinnie Jones and Elton John. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it airing next month on BBC?

It's looking more like Feb, the April date must then be the USA getting it later. :cool:

• Advertisement

As a fashion icon, Dicky Roper makes a great arms dealer ... :eek:
    TNM-sneak-peek-laurie-1200x707.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

First episode is Sunday 21st February. Digital Spy said 9PM but the page has since been removed. I finished the book last night, looking forward to it.

Yep - it's popping up as 9PM in my TV Guide too. Sweet.

Another trailer, this time from AMC Asia, with a different feel altogether:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good article here by le Carre on the business of adaptations of his work

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/20/john-le-carre-the-night-manager-television-adaptation

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Enjoyed first episode, lovely scenery as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well that was rather good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Really enjoyed the first episode. Hugh Laurie was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Excellent and what a cast of great actors. Beautiful locations. Plenty of action. They've hit the nail on the head here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Suprise no updates to this thread from the episode on Sunday.

• Less titilation, more action. Better balance I think.
    • Disliked the time-jump aspects, felt they were unneccesary.
    • Very little of Roper this week. For the "Big bad villian" idea to work, we need to see more of him in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Just watched episode 1 & it's quite good.

As mentioned Hugh Laurie is deliciously caddish.

Regarding the list of munitions being funneled to Egypt, that was hilarious.
    The researcher who wrote it must
    have just threw anything on the page.
    The shopping list included everything up to & including a submarine launched nuclear missile!
    Not exactly what you'd use to quash rebellion.

I doubt the makers meant for us to pause it & have a read

I thought this weeks episode was a little ludicrous. He is supposed to swallow the fact that Pine just happens to show up in two different resorts within such a short period of time.

I will continue to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah I thught that was a little spurious too but on the other hand it does sound like Hugh Laurie and his henchman have enough suspicion to try and get the real story out f him. I'm guessing he'll stand up to the torture or whatever they do to him.

Anyone else finding Olivia Coleman's accent in this a little annoying?

At this point, Roper hasn't taken Pine on, and it's not clear what he's thinking. Without giving too much away from the book, I will ask a couple of questions. What good is Pine to Roper? Of what does Roper need to be convinced, exactly, about Pine? How much does that matter? The book gives one answer -
    Roper never puts his name on any legal documents, and he wants Pine as a new "signer" to replace a discredited Corcoran
    - but at the same time their relationship becomes more complex than that.
    Father and son? Wizard and apprentice? A "project", like Jed?
    :o

I'm enjoying it - its deffo closer to Bond on TV than Harry Palmer, never mind George Smiley in spirit so far.

If (like me) you're having some trouble getting the minor characters straight, particularly the intelligence types in London, the Radio Times has a useful cast guide here. Some of them
    e.g. Rex Mayhew
    turn out to be quite important later on, at least according to the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well this is getting rather good. Great episode last night. The tension is racking up very nicely.

Hiddleston the next Mr. Bond perhaps.

This one stayed pretty faithful to the book, but with one notable exception that I'm pretty sure I will remember forever. :eek: :D

bnt wrote: »
    This one stayed pretty faithful to the book, but with one notable exception that I'm pretty sure I will remember forever. :eek: :D

Tom Hiddleson with his shirt off. I KNOW! ;)

Great episode this week. The show is top notch so far. I'm curious now about Corkoran being phased out. I presume his involvement with Roper isn't starting to phase out? I'm guessing he's been 'made' by somebody and he's no longer useful for being the business front of Roper's dodgy dealings.

I wish this was on Netflix! I just want to sit down and spend an entire weekend going thorugh this. If they keep the standard up it'll be a very fine show.

squonk wrote: »
    Great episode this week. The show is top notch so far. I'm curious now about Corkoran being phased out. I presume his involvement with Roper isn't starting to phase out? I'm guessing he's been 'made' by somebody and he's no longer useful for being the business front of Roper's dodgy dealings.

I wish this was on Netflix! I just want to sit down and spend an entire weekend going thorugh this. If they keep the standard up it'll be a very fine show.
    Corkoran's "phasing out" is no accident - Apostoll in particular has started a whispering campaign against him, at Burr's instigation. Pine's apparent "reliability" under fire also works in his favour. Corkoran seems to be aware that something's wrong, but he's not handling it well and making his position worse with his erratic behaviour. Roper is justifiably paranoid about his "signers" - while they serve to insulate him from legal and criminal action, they have to be kept under control, and Corkoran now seems to be jaded by being in that position for years.

edit: it's worth remembering that, unlike the typical spy story, the authorities already know who the players are and what they are doing. The challenge is not to identify them, but to gather solid evidence against Roper in particular, perhaps catch him making an arms deal. Burr knows all about Corkoran, and has targeted him specifically with the goal of replacing him in Roper's affections with Pine. They could arrest (or even kill) Corkoran, and Roper would be untouched, thanks to the "cutouts" in the paper trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Presumably they'll fit it around Hiddlestone's first Bond outing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just watched four episodes back to back. Excellent show, I'm really enjoying it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know if its because I'm usually tired watching this or what but I have no idea what's going on. Everything with Colman and Harewood in particular. Who is Drumgoole? What exactly are they trying to achieve? What's the deal with Apostoll?

• Advertisement

Another excellent episode this week. I'm starting to wonder if Corkoran might not be long for this world at the rate he's going. I can see him being disposed of before too long as he's starting to look like a liability at this point. I thought there was some deeper bond between him and Roper earlier but it doesn't appear to be the case now. Apostol's demise does seem to underline Roper's attitude to people he can no longer trust.

I'm not quite getting what's going on back in London either. I can grasp there's a cat fight between MI6 and Burr going on but I don't quite know who she is or who she works for.

I have a feeling things could get quite muddy over time here. Pine still seems to be on side and is an excellent agent by all accounts but I wouldn't be suprised to see him become a little bit too absorbed into Roper's organisation. At the least I'm left wanting more and that's brilliant.

I think I'm starting to jump onto the Hiddleston Bond bandwagon too. He looks made for the part really.

Advertisement