Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Night Manager [AMC/BBC] [** Spoilers **]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

glasso wrote: »
    I wasn't saying that she was an unknown - just think that she wasn't great for the part - she is a decent actor but imo not the sort a billionaire arms dealer would go for!
    Don't know how they managed the Great Gatsby where she wasn't towering over Di Caprio in the movie - she's almost 4 inches taller than him - he must have been the one wearing heels!
    In The Great Gatsby ED's character spent more time with Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), and did indeed tower over him, but it wasn't a problem since her height was in keeping with her character (a sporty type). Nick's impression was of "the most frightening person that I'd ever seen, but I enjoyed looking at her". I took a quick screenshot from the scene where they first meet, and you can see they didn't exactly hide her height:

382120.png

Some guys like tall girls. :o As for what kind of bird Roper would go for - well, crazier things have happened. Look at Donald Trump and his relationship history, for example: two lanky Eastern Europeans and a basketball-playing beauty queen! :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    In The Great Gatsby ED's character spent more time with Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), and did indeed tower over him, but it wasn't a problem since her height was in keeping with her character (a sporty type). Nick's impression was of "the most frightening person that I'd ever seen, but I enjoyed looking at her". I took a quick screenshot from the scene where they first meet, and you can see they didn't exactly hide her height:

382120.png

Some guys like tall girls. :o As for what kind of bird Roper would go for - well, crazier things have happened. Look at Donald Trump and his relationship history, for example: two lanky Eastern Europeans and a basketball-playing beauty queen! :pac:

Toby is a bit of a midget tho! Tall girls are good but 6"3 is too tall for a girl - in my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

All though the cast was great and some of the production was amazing I thought the story was weak and hammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think the one thing they under played from the novel was Roper's sons relationship with Hiddleston, they show it after his recovery but not while Hiddleston is in bed for weeks. The son's relationship and fondness for the guy who saved his life would have to influence his father, even somebody like Roper.

Overall it worked well, "the I love the smell of napalm" scene could easily have seemed way OTT but it was needed as Laurie was pretty likeable up to that. You needed to see this is how this guy finances his jet setting (literally) lifestyle.

Hiddleston was good, not sold on him as Bond, but as a follow up to Craig could definitely work. Jed grew on me as the series went on. The chemistry between her and Hiddleston was poor at the start but developed later on.

Hollander stole the show for me, played it to perfection.

The book was good but not in Le Carre's top 5 or so and I think the changes work over all, except for the ending. It's dramatic and the baddie gets his comeuppance but that isn't how the real world or Le Carre novels normally end!

As for Roper believing Hiddleston, he'd have had his intelligence sources checking everything out, that was why Burr keeping everything hush hush was so important. Without her, or him in the novel, he'd have been found out.

As for a second series, The Mission Song or Le Carre's last novel A Delicate Truth could work, both have similar themes and considering how well this was adapted, could definitely work.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

A second series is a possibility, but i hear Hiddleston isn't doing a second one afaik!

• Advertisement

Laurie ruled it out as well, because well, there isn't a second book!

Coleman's character is probably the most adaptable because she wasn't in the original book and well, she's Olivia Coleman. Laurie's character could show up again in The Mission Song in particular.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

K-9 wrote: »
    Hollander stole the show for me, played it to perfection.

For me Hollander is the kind of actor who just steals any film/show/scene he's in. Not in a scene chewing, look at me way, he's just such a good actor and so watchable even when he's playing timid, weasely characters like he does in Rev and In The Loop.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Laurie ruled it out as well, because well, there isn't a second book!

Coleman's character is probably the most adaptable because she wasn't in the original book and well, she's Olivia Coleman. Laurie's character could show up again in The Mission Song in particular.

Coleman's character, Burr, was in the book, they just gender swapped him. But I think you're right that her character would be the best to follow given that she has a reason to continue and the best part of Le Carre's books is usually the bureaucracy of the spy game.

True, I was wondering who Coleman's character was based on, it's that long since I read it. Corkey and obviously Roper stood out in the memory , both actors did a good job, Sandy as well.

It's difficult to see a second series. Le Carre's son is involved in the production company for this which leads me to think they might adapt another book. The Mission Song could see Roper returning but it would be a shady background figure. Problem is it is more a psychological thriller than a Bond audition! A delicate truth would fit more.

Finished reading Le Carre's biography last week, well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

FunLover18 wrote: »
    For me Hollander is the kind of actor who just steals any film/show/scene he's in. Not in a scene chewing, look at me way, he's just such a good actor and so watchable even when he's playing timid, weasely characters like he does in Rev and In The Loop.

Stole a whole episode of The Thick of It even though he was barely in it for 3 minutes. Nothing timid or weasely about the Fcuker mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I tried but just could not get past the 2nd episode where Hiddleston is supposed to be playing the part of a rough and tough guy.

Him playing the part of a good guy trying to play the part of a bad guy was just totally unconvincing which genuinely surprised me after seeing him play Loki in the Marvel Thor movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Night Manager has received 12 Emmy nominations, including Best Limited Series, Tom Hiddlestone for lead actor, and Olivia Colman and Hugh Laurie for supporting actors.

In other awards news, Tom was awarded "Rear Of The Year" for that sex scene, and also picked up Taylor Swift, though how much of a prize she is remains to be seen. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I just finished watching the final episode. I really, really liked it. I enjoyed the story line and the acting was great, especially from Hugh Laurie, Olivia Colman and Tom Hollander.

That was the first time I had seen Tom Hiddleston in a show/movie. As a Bond fan, I think he could be a good 007. He ordered a vodka martini in a scene in the final episode...

My only negative is that the final episode seemed quite rushed, which again is the same as what others have on here have said.

Oh and I thought Jed was super hot :):)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I just finished watching the final episode. I really, really liked it. I enjoyed the story line and the acting was great, especially from Hugh Lawrie, Olivia Colman and Tom Hollander.

That was the first time I had seen Tom Hiddleston in a show/movie. As a Bond fan, I think he could be a good 007. He ordered a vodka martini in a scene in the final episode...

My only negative is that the final episode seemed quite rushed, which again is the same as what others have on here have said.

Oh and I thought Jed was super hot :):)

While I love Hugh in almost everything, I just didn't like him in this. I couldn't get a sense of menace off him at all, perhaps that's more to do with me than his acting, but een in the most suspenseful scenes, it was ruined for me because I kept thinking, "ah, even if they're caught, it's only Hugh Laurie, they'll be grand."

In comparison, John Lithgow in one of the seasons of Dexter was one of the most menacing characters going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Finished watching this on RTE tonight. Didnt find it very plausible early on - he infiltrated Roper's gang way too easily. But I was hooked at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Finished watching this on RTE tonight. Didnt find it very plausible early on - he infiltrated Roper's gang way too easily. But I was hooked at the finish.

Pine saved Roper's son from being kidnapped/killed while also being on the run from the police. So Roper felt he owed him but he also had the power to control him.

In the book, the agencies use the Spanish lawyer to discredit Corky alot earlier so when Pine is recuperating, Roper is already thinking of using him to front the business deal. In the tv series, I think they only try and get rid of Corky because he's suspicious of Pine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Gotta agree with that. Enjoyable watch though. I think Laurie was miscast tbh. He was never menacing enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Night Manager seasons 2 and 3 eyed at Amazon with Tom Hiddleston set to return

Who is writing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 & 3 ordered by the BBC & Amazon

The Night Manager Season 2 will begin filming later this year and will pick up with Hiddleston’s Jonathan Pine eight years after the explosive finale of Season 1, going beyond the original book, which was written by the celebrated British writer in 1993. Additional plot details are being kept under wraps and there is not yet confirmation as to whether EP Laurie’s Richard Roper, who was last seen in the back of a paddy wagon driven by arms buyers who were not best pleased with him, will return to star. Hiddleston will also EP and will discuss in more depth on tonight’s Jimmy Kimmel Live!…….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Strange one. 8 years later and no Le Carré source material. I mean I'll definitely watch but I'd be skeptical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement