Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great North Run 2015

Options
  • 03-09-2015 8:09am

Is anyone travelling to Newcastle to do this next weekend?

I have a place and everything is booked, but my friend can't travel with me now so I'm wondering is it definitely a race worth traveling for or would I be as well off doing one closer to home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

If you have your hotel paid for, I would say go. Newcastle is a nice city, easy to walk around. There will be a great buzz over there, and if you like shopping, you can easily spend hours looking around. Last year the City Games were on the Saturday, which was nice to see.

Give yourself plenty of time to get to the startline (it's about a 30 min walk from centre) and get into your pen early (1 hr before the start) to ensure the best possible start, as it can be very congested). If you are not planning on hanging around at the finishline, and you are getting the metro back to the city, buy your ticket the day before, and head straight for the station after the race, as there can be delays getting back into Newcastle afterwards. That's what I did last year, and got onto the metro no problem, but I heard others had long delays, as they stayed around at the finishline, as there was entertainment etc.

Enjoy the race and the atmosphere :)

Thanks Ruby :)

The hotel isn't paid for, and is - as expected - really expensive, so that's why I'm thinking perhaps I should cut my losses and maybe run the Wild Atlantic Way HM instead the same weekend instead. Cost of that is €50 (I actually haven't checked whether or not I can still register for it mind!). The Dublin HM is the following week but tbh I don't really fancy it this year.

Thanks for the info, I'll make a call on it today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

2 other half-marathons to consider:
    - Athlone Flatline (12th)
    - Charleville (20th)

Both fast. Newcastle is a great city (lived there for a while), so you will have a great time. As for the Great North Run HM, the crowds are unbelievable. Hard to get to the start-line, let alone the finish-line. As an experience it has to one of the best runs out there, but experiences are best shared with others so if your mate is out it may be best to go another year ...

Advertisement