Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Republic of Ireland - Friday Sep 4 2015 - 19:45 - RTE2

• 03-09-2015 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

1966143_s2.jpg

news-ff-logo-gibraltar.jpg

VS

200px-Ireland_Football_Team_Badge.png

All eyes on Georgia vs Scotland which kicks off at 17:00. Really need Scotland to slip up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is the Georgia / Scotland game on television? Bizarre question to open this thread with I know, but it will likely be discussed in here tomorrow evening. :)

As far as the matter at hand, I predict we'll win by a couple and take longer to break them down than we'd like. But all that matters is the three points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

are the results and stuff against these lot not scrapped anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Ireland with a heroic last gasp 1-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Robbie Keane has to start this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

kfallon wrote: »
    Robbie Keane has to start this one!

Agree completely. Its the exact sort of match where his lack of work rate wont effect us in the negative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Any side that have drawn with Slovakia and Estonia and beaten Malta in the last two years should not be taken too lightly by the current Irish setup imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is the Georgia / Scotland game on television? Bizarre question to open this thread with I know, but it will likely be discussed in here tomorrow evening. :)

As far as the matter at hand, I predict we'll win by a couple and take longer to break them down than we'd like. But all that matters is the three points.

Scotland game is on Sky Sports 1

All games are covered by Sky Sports apart from 2, 1 game on ITV 4 and England game which will be on ITV 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Trond wrote: »
    Agree completely. Its the exact sort of match where his lack of work rate wont effect us in the negative.

He'll get chances and he'll take them! If he can score a rake of goals in the MLS still he can score against this motley crew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

kfallon wrote: »
    He'll get chances and he'll take them! If he can score a rake of goals in the MLS still he can score against this motley crew!

Its just a shame his legs are gone. Starting him against the likes of Scotland is pointless. It just leaves us a man short in terms of matching the opponent's work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Have Ireland still got any sort of chance in this qualification group? What real relevance has this game out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

We still have a chance but it really comes down to the last two games against Poland and Scotland and how all three do against Germany. We've already nicked a point off them, if we get another at home and a win for Germany against Scotland would leave us in with a good shot at 3rd, which would at least get us a play-off.

3rd is prob our best hope as we'd be asking a bit much for the wheels to come off both Poland and Scotland.

The game is important in that it's a vital 3 points because everyone else will get them. It's a job to get out of the way and maybe try a few different things.

It's decent timing as we should be able to save a few names to keep fresh for Monday night's game with Georgia, another must win.

Edit - We've already played Scotland twice so our chances come down to a combination of them dropping points and us taking these 6 available and getting at least two points off Germany and Poland realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

enda1 wrote: »
    Have Ireland still got any sort of chance in this qualification group? What real relevance has this game out of interest?

If Scotland lose to Georgia away on friday qualification is ours to lose imo. Scotland also have Germany at home on monday night and we entertain Georgia at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

are the results and stuff against these lot not scrapped anyway?

You're mixed up
    The highest ranked third-placed team from the groups directly qualifies for the tournament, while the remainder enter the play-offs. As Group I contains five teams and the rest contain six, matches against any sixth-placed team in each group are not included in this ranking. As a result, a total of eight matches played by each team count toward the purpose of the third-placed ranking table.

ricero wrote: »
    If Scotland lose to Georgia away on friday qualification is ours to lose imo. Scotland also have Germany at home on monday night and we entertain Georgia at home

I think it's a bit optimistic hoping for a Georgia win. I think our best hope is for a draw and German win this weekend in the Scotland games which if we get our job done would leave us on 15 pts to Scotland's 13.

Scotland of course still have to play Gibraltar but host Poland in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think we'll ein handly but the main thing on Friday is Scotland failing to get anything in georgia if we want any chance of going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Any side that have drawn with Slovakia and Estonia and beaten Malta in the last two years should not be taken too lightly by the current Irish setup imo.

Please stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

2ndcoming wrote: »
    We still have a chance but it really comes down to the last two games against Poland and Scotland and how all three do against Germany. We've already nicked a point off them, if we get another at home and a win for Germany against Scotland would leave us in with a good shot at 3rd, which would at least get us a play-off.

3rd is prob our best hope as we'd be asking a bit much for the wheels to come off both Poland and Scotland.

The game is important in that it's a vital 3 points because everyone else will get them. It's a job to get out of the way and maybe try a few different things.

It's decent timing as we should be able to save a few names to keep fresh for Monday night's game with Georgia, another must win.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have no chance of qualifying. A 3-0 win tomorrow night, but Scotland will scrap a win in Georgia and its bye bye France and hopefully O Neill in few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We have no chance of qualifying. A 3-0 win tomorrow night, but Scotland will scrap a win in Georgia and its bye bye France and hopefully O Neill in few months.

I know you can't wait to write our chances off but you're actually wrong. We have an outside chance of qualifying going into the final round if games, as long as we win the next two games. We have a better than even chance of getting a play off spot if Scotland slip up in Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

We have no chance of qualifying. .

Pet hate of mine. We're 3/1 to qualify. Not 30/1. Not 3000/1.

3/1.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/euro-2016/to-qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2-1 win for us in a boring game and Scotland will win in the last few mins

We can all support northern Ireland in France. It's going to be terrible for us with them, Scotland, England and Wales there and our lads off enjoying there holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Mezcita wrote: »

3/1.

Why is realism that is based on fact and historical record considered some kind of annoyance?

Here's something else to check while you're looking at the bookies odds: The last time Ireland beat a higher ranked team...away from home.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2-1 win for us in a boring game and Scotland will win in the last few mins

We can all support northern Ireland in France. It's going to be terrible for us with them, Scotland, England and Wales there and our lads off enjoying there holidays

As nice as the idea might sound I doubt there'll be many supporting NI. I think their fans would be happier that way anyway. My sister lives in France so I will be going anyway and it'll be a red jersey for me, unless we somehow get the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

O'Neill to play for a 0-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Ireland 10 Gibraltar 0

Robbie Keane to score 9 of them.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Why is realism that is based on fact and historical record considered some kind of annoyance?

Here's something else to check while you're looking at the bookies odds: The last time Ireland beat a higher ranked team...away from home.

Just had look myself here. For anyone who doesn't want to drain any remaining optimism, I'd advise against it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I think it's a bit optimistic hoping for a Georgia win. I think our best hope is for a draw and German win this weekend in the Scotland games which if we get our job done would leave us on 15 pts to Scotland's 13.

Scotland of course still have to play Gibraltar but host Poland in between.

Ireland are not out of this competition, it's just they appear to lack in any and all nous to cause an upset. Caution has dogged the Irish team for a long time, and the mentality of "nick a goal and desperately hold on to whatever we have" will sink the team more surely than a more gung-ho, positive approach.

I'll tell you what's more annoying is when people trot out some facts but ignore other facts which ends up with a false picture being painted. It's like as if they've got some agenda that they're pushing. It is not realistic to say that Ireland have no chance of qualifying. They have an outside chance which could become a better than even chance of a play off spot if some realistic results happen over the next few days. So if we're going to talk about "realism based on fact and historical record", let's not spout some personal opinion and pretend that that's "realism based on fact and historical record".

It is conceivable that Ireland could get the play off spot without doing that, though obviously that is a statistic that needs to be ended one way or the other.

briany wrote: »

Ireland are not out of this competition, it's just they appear to lack in any and all nous to cause an upset. Caution has dogged the Irish team for a long time, and the mentality of "nick a goal and desperately hold on to whatever we have" will sink the team more surely than a more gung-ho, positive approach.

I thought they were positive and attack minded v Scotland the last day, they were lacking in a bit of luck and just weren't good enough on the day.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I'll tell you what's more annoying is when people trot out some facts but ignore other facts which ends up with a false picture being painted. It's like as if they've got some agenda that they're pushing. It is not realistic to say that Ireland have no chance of qualifying. They have an outside chance which could become a better than even chance of a play off spot if some realistic results happen over the next few days. So if we're going to talk about "realism based on fact and historical record", let's not spout some personal opinion and pretend that that's "realism based on fact and historical record".

It is conceivable that Ireland could get the play off spot without doing that, though obviously that is a statistic that needs to be ended one way or the other.

I never said Ireland didn't have a chance of qualifying. It's football, as long as it's statistically possible, then it can happen.

But to ignore our recent form (awful) and our history of not getting results against big teams....especially big teams away, which is what we'll need to do, then that's just a level of delusion creeping in there.

I thought they were positive and attack minded v Scotland the last day, they were lacking in a bit of luck and just weren't good enough on the day.

Had they kept up the same mentality as in the first half, Scotland may not have gotten that opportunity to score a goal. You make your own luck, you put yourself in a position to be lucky, but by the same token you put yourself in a position to be unlucky as well. Ireland looked to get more deflated as that second half wore on. Yes, they had a go at getting another goal, but it was another one of those cases where it just didn't seem to be happening, and it didn't.

I never said Ireland didn't have a chance of qualifying. It's football, as long as it's statistically possible, then it can happen.

But to ignore our recent form (awful) and our history of not getting results against big teams....especially big teams away, which is what we'll need to do, then that's just a level of delusion creeping in there.

I never said I was ignoring their recent form, hence why I said they have an outside chance right now, unless some results go their way over the next few days to improve their chances.

briany wrote: »
    Had they kept up the same mentality as in the first half, Scotland may not have gotten that opportunity to score a goal. You make your own luck, you put yourself in a position to be lucky, but by the same token you put yourself in a position to be unlucky as well. Ireland looked to get more deflated as that second half wore on. Yes, they had a go at getting another goal, but it was another one of those cases where it just didn't seem to be happening, and it didn't.

Yes. They weren't quite good enough on the day. We'll find out over the next 4 games if they can produce better or not.

I know you can't wait to write our chances off but you're actually wrong. We have an outside chance of qualifying going into the final round if games, as long as we win the next two games. We have a better than even chance of getting a play off spot if Scotland slip up in Georgia.

I would absolute love to be proven wrong. You just can't see the frustration in supporting a team with a out of depth manager.

I would absolute love to be proven wrong. You just can't see the frustration in supporting a team with a out of depth manager.

Don't be counting your chickens just yet.

• Advertisement

Yes. They weren't quite good enough on the day. We'll find out over the next 4 games if they can produce better or not.

I think the problem is that the story of that game is an oft-told one with Ireland, so we won't be holding our breaths for big performances. We'll take them if they come, of course, and gladly, but expectations will certainly be tempered.

Don't be counting your chickens just yet.

I hope so, I really would love for Ireland to qualify, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

1-5

another hat-trick for Robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

1-2 - Gibraltar to score first and be winning at HT

RayCon wrote: »
    1-2 - Gibraltar to score first and be winning at HT

An ill-sounding Roy Keane to be pushed out front to defend the team on Liveline the following Monday.

• Advertisement

• Any news on Jack Grealish?

Lets hope for a good performance tonight and with a bit of luck some other results go our way

Is this on a channel other than RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mezcita wrote: »

3/1.

11/1 on Betfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any news on Jack Grealish?

A gold membership card for Coppers well swing it for him.

5-0 for us in an uninspiring borefest.

eagle eye wrote: »
    11/1 on Betfair.

Is that just for new customers can't see that on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

enda1 wrote: »

Assuming Germany are over their hangover and win their last four and ourselves, Poland and Scotland beat Georgia and Gibraltar we'll go to Warsaw on the last day needing a win to make the playoffs.

Chances are we won't win in Poland but stranger things happen every day in football.

Of course, if either Poland or Scotland take something against Germany in the next few days or we fail to get six points we're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Ireland to win 10-0. Put your house on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Collie D wrote: »
    Assuming Germany are over their hangover and win their last four and ourselves, Poland and Scotland beat Georgia and Gibraltar we'll go to Warsaw on the last day needing a win to make the playoffs.

Chances are we won't win in Poland but stranger things happen every day in football.

Of course, if either Poland or Scotland take something against Germany in the next few days or we fail to get six points we're gone.

The Germany v Poland result doesn't really matter to us much and it's a hopefully large assumption to make that Scotland will win in Georgia. It's not an easy game for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the match of interest to us tomorrow is Georgia Scotland (they needed a Georgia own goal at home to beat them), our match against Gibraltar is a formality...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Georgia need to do us a massive favour. Remember we barrly scraped a win over there. Scotland should beat them but its a tough place to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

eagle eye wrote: »
    11/1 on Betfair.

Different market. Does not include qualifying via the play offs.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/football/market/1.112992715

• Advertisement
Advertisement