Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Republic of Ireland - Friday Sep 4 2015 - 19:45 - RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

now to Monday and definitely going to watch the match in the Aviva against the world champs! :D October can't come any sooner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You do realize the Poles are playing these "Gibralterians" on Monday night at home?

How does that contradict what he said in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If we beat Georgia we should get a play-off spot as I can't see the Scots getting anything from Germany or Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

briany wrote: »
    Can we say, overall, that this night in Group D has gone basically as well as could have been hoped from Ireland's perspective?

"Ah Bill" :D

RIP Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

If we beat Georgia we should get a play-off spot as I can't see the Scots getting anything from Germany or Poland.

I think Poland away game could be the decider for us, as long as we beat Georgia. I expect Germany to win at our place. They are hitting form at a good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why not against Poland? They did manage a point against them away from home.

I think the Scots could pull something out of the bag against either team and maybe even get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Brian017 wrote: »
    What were both singing??

Ireland fans singing fck off tartan army, Ireland's havin a party, and we're homeward bound....

Tartan Army in Dublin were singing; fck off James McCarthy, Scotland's havin a party....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People seem to forget that the best 3rd place team automatically qualify. Only Norway & Ukraine ahead of us there from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

How does that contradict what he said in any way?

We don't have a realistic sniff of automatic qualification at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

There is a decent chance of us heading to Poland for the last game knowing a win will see us finish second...

We don't have a realistic sniff of automatic qualification at all

Disagree, we're 2 points behind Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Brady seems very bitter towards MON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

2nd spot is automatic qualification ?

3rd spot play off ?

or 2/3 playoffs...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why not against Poland? They did manage a point against them away from home.

I think the Scots could pull something out of the bag against either team and maybe even get a win.

They are a spirited side the Scots as they proved against us so you never know, what is in the favour is the fact they are at home for both games, last game is against Gibraltar a gimme so is not all sewen up yet. Also they better us on the head to head. I'd hate to think we'd go away to Poland on the last day needing something though. Georgia game will be huge and in the mean time I'll be like the rest of ya supporting Germany and Poland all the way.. And ermmm Gibraltar too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

murpho999 wrote: »
    People seem to forget that the best 3rd place team automatically qualify. Only Norway & Ukraine ahead of us there from what I can see.

Bear in mind to get an accurate picture of best 3rd place you have to drop the results against Gibraltar for that calculation, so we only have 6 points on that table at that moment.
    Obviously all the other third place teams (except Group I) have to drop some points also in the calc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gibraltar have improved... Martin, they lost 0-4.

Are you guys forgetting Netherlands? they are 3rd at the moment

And Albania, Hungary, Russia and Netherlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not the same without a Dunphy rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

3rd spot play off ?

or 2/3 playoffs...?

1st qualify
    2nd qualify
    3rd playoff (best third place team of nine qualifies)

• Advertisement

3rd spot play off ?

or 2/3 playoffs...?

1st and 2nd spot automatic qualifications

Best 3rd team automatic qualifications as well

Remaining 8 3rd team will have playoffs

3rd spot play off ?

or 2/3 playoffs...?

Top 2 automatic.

Best 3rd place automatic.

Remaining 8 x 3rd go to play off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

New away jersey is out.... horrible jersey for €68!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Brady seems very bitter towards MON.

No he just thinks the team isn't very good and he's right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

And Albania, Hungary, Russia and Netherlands

Yup.

Here's how it looks

d657a024c608319caf57d7252960cc12.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    1st qualify
    2nd qualify
    3rd playoff (best third place team of nine qualifies)

Nice one, we should at least get 3rd .... next game should be an easy 3 pts ...

Disagree, we're 2 points behind Poland.

We'll be 5 points behind them before our game against Georgia finishes...with our following game against Germany, which we won't win (probably won't even draw)....while Scotland and Poland play each other on the same night, so one or both of them gain points on us that night...and then we're away to Poland

No chance of finishing top 2!

I thought that as well,but then read matches against the 6th place team dont count so we only have 6 points in that table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Brady has a clear agenda because of his past role as assistant to Trap. He has said about 20 times we been poor or are a poor team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

"Ah Bill" :D

RIP Bill

Maybe Bill was talking through me, there. :o

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »
    Are you guys forgetting Netherlands? they are 3rd at the moment

Netherands have 10 points to our 12.

New away jersey is out.... horrible jersey for €68!

Yep....awful!

76627U-KIT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

The Group is effectively as follows with the assumption that Poland & Scotland will beat Gibraltar and Germany win the Group:

1 - Germany [will win the Group]
    2 - Poland P8 - 17 points
    3 - Scotland P8 - 14 points
    4 - Ireland P7 - 12 points.

To get third we have to beat Georgia and match Scotlands results against Poland/Germany

To get second and qualify automatically we have to beat Georgia and Poland (A) and match Polands result in Scotland [For our match v Germany]

I thought that as well,but then read matches against the 6th place team dont count so we only have 6 points in that table

Aha yes, I forget about that.....no hope there so!

Netherands have 10 points to our 12.

We have 6 points

"The highest ranked third-placed team from the groups directly qualifies for the tournament, while the remainder enter the play-offs. As Group I contains five teams and the rest contain six, matches against any sixth-placed team in each group are not included in this ranking. As a result, a total of eight matches played by each team count toward the purpose of the third-placed ranking table."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nice one, we should at least get 3rd .... next game should be an easy 3 pts ...

Ireland have Georgia, Germany and Poland to come to come. Scotland have Germany, Poland and Gibraltar to come. Let's say Ireland win v. Georgia and Scotland win v. Gibraltar, it comes down to how the teams do v. Germany and Poland. If both teams lose both games, then it'll have been the draw against Germany back in October that sees Ireland advance to the playoffs. A slip-up against Georgia could make things a good bit more complicated, though.

We'll be 5 points behind them before our game against Georgia finishes...with our following game against Germany, which we won't win (probably won't even draw)....while Scotland and Poland play each other on the same night, so one or both of them gain points on us that night...and then we're away to Poland

Ireland beat Georgia: 2 points behind.

Ireland lose to Germany, Poland and Scotland draw: 3 points behind Poland, 3 ahead of Scotland.

Scotland beat Gibraltar, Ireland beat Poland: Ireland and Poland level on points, Ireland qualify automatically on versus record.

1theres-a-chance.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MD1990 wrote: »
    Brady has a clear agenda because of his past role as assistant to Trap. He has said about 20 times we been poor or are a poor team.

He lost all credibility when despite the results and poor football he refused to in any serious way criticise Trapp and dodged questions with the skill of a politician on live TV. he should have been fùcked off the panel a long time ago. Rarely anything insightful to say regardless.

MD1990 wrote: »

Its amazing how willing he is to put the boot in now when he made all sorts of excuses for the man who set the rot in to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Failure to beat Georgia and that's it. . Game over.

Sadlier again was the most interesting pundit but cut across by everyone else. He had strong views but I think he was right in all of them

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sadlier again was the most interesting pundit but cut across by everyone else. He had strong views but I think he was right in all of them

Richie is brilliant. So intelligent and well spoken and yet fits in so well with the Second Captains lads. Used to love his various Millwall anecdotes on off the ball two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I wouldn't say no chance. If things go as you say we will be 3 points behind them when we play them last. If we beat them we go ahead due to head to head. Not impossible. Unlikely but not impossible.

Two of those three wins were against Gibraltar so they don't count.

EDIT: Sneaky sneaky post delete makes me look insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Failure to beat Georgia and that's it. . Game over.

Georgia don't seem to travel well.
    We should beat them even though we haven't been playing well.
    I don't think we'll get anything off Poland or Germany so we'll have to rely on Scotland getting nothing off them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dempsey wrote: »

The way he speaks puts me off though. Leaves gaps at random places in the middle of a point.

Eg. 'We're a good team but.......there are some problems there and......I still have some doubts about....some aspects of the team.'

The actual content of what he says is good though.

Strider wrote: »
    The way he speaks puts me off though.

Eg. 'We're a good team but.......there are some problems there and......I still have some doubts about....some aspects of the team.'

We do have a better functioning team if MON gets the finger out and lights a fire under the likes of McCarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Strider wrote: »
    The way he speaks puts me off though. Leaves gaps at random places in the middle of a point.

The actual content of what he says is good though.

That's actually purposely done and practiced when training for public speaking. They're thought that a moments silence is better than a load of "em"s and "ah"s when speaking to a group - sad to say I've been there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So assuming we beat Georgia, and Scotland lose to Germany, then we'll have a four point lead over the Scots. (15 vs 11)

Given that our next game after that is vs Germany, and we're likely to lose, the question is then how many points can Scotland claw back on us in their game - which is at home to Poland. I'm trying to work out the various scenarios:

Scotland beat Poland - this would see the Scots one point behind us and given that their last game is against Gibraltar - an easy 3 pts - we would then have to beat Poland away. If we did beat Poland away we would qualify automatically in second place, by my calculations.

Scotland draw to Poland - in this scenario we could secure third spot in our final game with just a draw away to Poland. A win would secure qualification in second place over Poland via the head to head record.

Scotland lose to Poland - This would guarantee us the third spot as even if the Scots win vs Gibraltar and we lose to Poland we could not be caught. It would mean, however, that Poland would already have second spot secured so the last game would be a damp squib.

Have I got that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sadlier knows his stuff, but he just isn't cut out for off the cuff analysis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement