Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Republic of Ireland - Friday Sep 4 2015 - 19:45 - RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If we finish equal with Scotland, does it go down to goal difference or head to head?

Realistically, we need Georgia to pick up something against Scotland. Otherwise we need to win tonight, against Georgia and pick up at least 2 points against Germany and Poland. I don't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

jester77 wrote: »
    If we finish equal with Scotland, does it go down to goal difference or head to head?

Realistically, we need Georgia to pick up something against Scotland. Otherwise we need to win tonight, against Georgia and pick up at least 2 points against Germany and Poland. I don't see that happening.

It goes down to head to head when 2 teams finish equal.....but if it's 3 or more, it's goal difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the match of interest to us tomorrow is Georgia Scotland (they needed a Georgia own goal at home to beat them), our match against Gibraltar is a formality...

So was San Marino under Stan, look how that turned out. But should expect a win tonight, althoughnot expecting any more than 3 or 4 nill.

We neee to be concentrating on winning all our own games first, then worry about the other matches. Saying that, we do need a few favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I can see us labouring to a 0-2 or 0-3 tonight. It won't be pretty, but we'll get the result.

We never make easy work of the cannon fodder!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

And head to head we're in trouble. Come on Georgia!!

Tonight score is really meaningless seeing as goal difference doesn't really count against Gibraltar. I'd take a 1 nil and Georgia drawing with Scotland tonight please :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So was San Marino under Stan, look how that turned out. But should expect a win tonight, althoughnot expecting any more than 3 or 4 nill.

We neee to be concentrating on winning all our own games first, then worry about the other matches. Saying that, we do need a few favours.

loot at results after matches on big european games nights and you will always see shocks or close calls for the "bigger teams" we have become remarkably good / consistent at putting them away for the past few years now. Our problem is with beating the teams in and around our level and virtually never creating an upset against our "superiors"...
    I can see us labouring to a 0-2 or 0-3 tonight. It won't be pretty, but we'll get the result.

we beat them 7 - 0 last time round...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Apart from when we beat them 7-0 of course

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Apart from when we beat them 7-0 of course

yeah, but away from home, we always make it more difficult for ourselves.

as an aside, are there any other records/milestones Robbie Keane is only a couple of goals away from achieving?

isn't he second highest at the moment in terms of currently playing international players? he's on or around 54 isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It is all well and good praying for Georgia to do us a favour but the fact is we have to win our own games as well, and we have'nt being doing that.

A Scotland win tonight and it is all over.

as an aside, are there any other records/milestones Robbie Keane is only a couple of goals away from achieving?

isn't he second highest at the moment in terms of currently playing international players? he's on or around 54 isn't he?

he is top of the currently playing on 65...

the easiest way of looking at is it, if this evening, we win and scotland lose r draw, we simply have to match their results in the last two games, to qualify, we both have germany and poland as our last two games...

just looking at other permutions now, basically we really need Georgia to do us a favour tonight, if they dont, Id say its pretty much curtains for us... If scotland win tonight, even if they draw with poland or germany and we got a win against them, and got the same result as them for the other match, we would finish level on points, but they would go through based on the head to head result v us...

he is top of the currently playing on 65...

didn't think it was 65!!!

whats the next record in sight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Gibralter +4 looks a decent bet to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Does everyone reckon Given will start in goal? Reckon team will be:
    Given
    Coleman O'Shea Wilson Brady
    Walters McCarthy Whelan McLean
    Keane Long/Doyle

Dont think he'll start Wes but i would stick him in midfield with McCarthy and start with 2 strikers. Have a funny feeling he'll give a Doyle a start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any news on Jack Grealish?

If he doesn't want to play for us I don't want him to play for us tbh.

Imagine the unthinkable happened...we won our last 4 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Personally I think its shocking that Given is getting a look in again.

Trond wrote: »

Totally agree!! He's well past it why is he even being considered at this stage?
    Randolf should get a run out tonight...he wont of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

jones wrote: »
    Totally agree!! He's well past it why is he even being considered at this stage?
    Randolf should get a run out tonight...he wont of course

He apparently kicked off behind the scenes a few months ago as well. Any of the other 3 keepers are more deserving of a game.

• Advertisement

agreed, he can play for us and not win any trophies or do the same for England. Granted England will qualify for more, but what wouldnt surprise me is, he goes for england and doesnt start or even get in the squad v Ireland where he would probably start... Depends if he even wants international football or only wants it if its with england...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

agreed, he can play for us and not win any trophies or do the same for England. Granted England will qualify for more, but what wouldnt surprise me is, he goes for england and doesnt start or even get in the squad v Ireland where he would probably start... Depends if he even wants international football or only wants it if its with england...

JG is not good enough to play for England, he is a good player but is extemely overhyped more so here than in England.

After all the hype he'll probably struggle to make the starting 11 for both countries. If he plays for Ireland Hoolihan has to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I thought they were positive and attack minded v Scotland the last day, they were lacking in a bit of luck and just weren't good enough on the day.

When we scored we didnt go and get another one before half time... bottled it and passed it back to the keeper etc... we got our just deserves in the end in that game

When we scored we didnt go and get another one before half time... bottled it and passed it back to the keeper etc... we got our just deserves in the end in that game
    That goal they scored against us, right after the break was a deflection and fluke and the also relied on a Georgia o.g to beat them at home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Really hoping to see a high pressing game tonight. Would love a 5-0 result, anything more would be excellent.A Georgian result against Scotland isn't too far away from reality also!

Really hoping to see a high pressing game tonight. Would love a 5-0 result, anything more would be excellent.A Georgian result against Scotland isn't too far away from reality also!

I agree, I would say Georgia drawing or winning is 50% or so. We arent hoping for a miracle... something like Gibralatar holding them to a draw etc...

JG is not good enough to plan for England, he is a good player but is extemely overhyped more so here than in England.

After all the hype he'll probably struggle to make the starting 11 for both countries. If he plays for Ireland Hoolihan has to come out

sounds like the hype got to his head, he isnt a proven ronaldo or messi etc, where you would put up with some messing around, he has proved nothing, how many players have been the "next big thing" and dissapeared...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Trond wrote: »

Forde's been very badly treated imo. He was outstanding for us in the last campaign, and to get dropped as soon as Given clicks his fingers is very bad form.

Theres a lot of faith in Georgia getting a result tonight!, lets not forget their sitting second from bottom with 1 win (3-0 against Gibraltar) and 4 defeats! Yes Scotland were lucky to get the win, but they still dominated them stats wise.

Anyone expecting them to do us a favour tonight I think are clutching at straws! At best I'd give them 25% to get a draw, 5% to get the win.
    Of course I'd love to eat humble pie tonight, but I really can't see anything other than a Scottish victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Theres a lot of faith in Georgia getting a result tonight!, lets not forget their sitting second from bottom with 1 win (3-0 against Gibraltar) and 4 defeats! Yes Scotland were lucky to get the win, but they still dominated them stats wise.

Anyone expecting them to do us a favour tonight I think are clutching at straws! At best I'd give them 25% to get a draw, 5% to get the win.
    Of course I'd love to eat humble pie tonight, but I really can't see anything other than a Scottish victory.

Scotland are favourites, but a home win is only 3/1 and a draw 11/5 so I think the % a little differnt than above.

I think a draw is the best we can hope for tonight but I think Scotland will win a bit like NI and Wales to an extent they have a bit of wind behind them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Germany v Poland is on ITV4 tonight so at least there'll be a game worth watching tonight.

I don't think it's that there's a lot of faith in Georgia getting a result as such, it's more a case of Scotland were lucky against them last time and Scotland are a fairly limited team (as are we) so its not beyond the realms of possibility that Georgia could "get something" tonight.

As you said though % wise probably is only 25% chance of it happening but who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gibraltor +4 is 17/10 on PP

Might be worth a shot

Would be more comfortable with a +6 thought :p Anywhere I could make that bet?

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Has he publicly said so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

We're looking at, hoping for, favours again tonight, here. I don't think it would matter if you gave Ireland all the favours in the world and sent them through top of the group, because the team would still be fairly lacking in cohesion and craft. They'd still be the wooden spoon team of the Euros, and I thought after last time we wouldn't want to see the team go to another championships if they couldn't put on a decent display, if they couldn't mix it with the big teams. Still, I like everyone else, will be hoping that Georgia does do the team a favour, I can't help myself, but knowing full well that Ireland is in no way deserving of a favour all the same.

Frankly, if we're hoping for Georgia to do Ireland a favour, the team has no business ever progressing beyond the group stage. I'll probably watch that game just because it'll be more interesting than Ireland having a glorified practice match (tempting fate with that one ).

if scotland qualify do to a two jammy deflection off o'shea and a georgia Og, do they deserve to qualify? either us or them will finish 3rd...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

All this negativity about Ireland is annoying me, they're crap, they're this they're that, they don't deserve to be at a major championships etc.

Who gives a fcuk just support your country, so what if they didn't win a game at the last euros it's gone now,at least we got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

if scotland qualify do to a two jammy deflection off o'shea and a georgia Og, do they deserve to qualify?

So far, based on overall performances, positive approach and attitude, I believe Scotland deserve to qualify.

• Advertisement

Meglamonia wrote: »
    All this negativity about Ireland is annoying me, they're crap, they're this they're that, they don't deserve to be at a major championships etc.

Who gives a fcuk just support your country, so what if they didn't win a game at the last euros it's gone now,at least we got there.

That attitude is the problem. We should strive to be the best we can be, which we're not doing.

You can hit me all the excuses in the world and I respond.........Iceland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Georgia are due a home win in this group so I have a feeling that they can defeat or draw with a limited Scottish side.

So far, based on overall performances, positive approach and attitude, I believe Scotland deserve to qualify.
    I would agree, this is my issue with Ireland, we get that we dont have the players we have had in the past, but they scotland look like they have belief and structure. Is it much to ask that an Ireland team possess this, O'Brien and the FAI are bankrolling enough for this for a good manager. We not scotland have been there or thereabouts for most major championships for nearly twenty years at this stage. What is our issue psychologically?!
    That attitude is the problem. We should strive to be the best we can be, which we're not doing.

You can hit me all the excuses in the world and I respond.........Iceland

if we get there and are competitive and put in a reasonable showing, given how limited we are, that would be good enough for me... The last time we were in a group that contained the two finalists and another very capable side.... Given also made uncharacteristic mistakes that made the result worse than it should have been IMO...

I would agree, this is my issue with Ireland, we get that we dont have the players we have had in the past, but they scotland look like they have belief and structure. Is it much to ask that an Ireland team possess this, O'Brien and the FAI are bankrolling enough for this for a good manager. We not scotland have been there or thereabouts for most major championships for nearly twenty years at this stage. What is our issue psychologically?!

Once again... Iceland.

They don't have the players but they've got the mental strength, which we are so obviously lacking. How else do you over achieve like that?

if we get there and are competitive and put in a reasonable showing, given how limited we are, that would be good enough for me... The last time we were in a group that contained the two finalists and another very capable side.... Given also made uncharacteristic mistakes that made the result worse than it should have been IMO...

Ireland play with fear more often than not. Whether it's 1st seed or 3rd seed, we have an inferiority complex.

Our inability to take a game by the scruff of the neck is painful watch and is down to complete lack of self belief. We play like gang busters when we go 1 nil down, but who doesn't in fairness.

Our inability to take a game by the scruff of the neck is painful watch and is down to complete lack of self belief. We play like gang busters when we go 1 nil down, but who doesn't in fairness.

this lack of belief, is it coming from the manager or what? under McCarthy up until close to the end, there seemed to be real belief, it didnt matter who it was, we would give them a hell of a game, we went on some ridiculously long non losing streak. Like I said, we are a small footballing nation, yet always seem to be there or thereabouts at the end of the campaign, so how in gods name do we have a belief problem, when other countries similar to ourselves dont?! We were second seeds for these euro draws for god sake!

One leader like a keane in his prime and we would be much improved IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Has he publicly said so?

Does he need to? If he wanted to play for us he'd be capped by now. He's weighing up his options lest England are interested. Players of that attitude can **** right off imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

going for a 3-0 Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Does he need to? If he wanted to play for us he'd be capped by now. He's weighing up his options lest England are interested. Players of that attitude can **** right off imo.

Have to back you on this one llyod , declare and be done with it. At the end of the day he did play underage for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Georgia are 1-0 up... 10 mins before the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Georgia 1 up

Edit: Beaten to it

• Advertisement
Advertisement