Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar vs Republic of Ireland - Friday Sep 4 2015 - 19:45 - RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Looking at those I'm thinking Scotland still have a better chance than us.

If Scotland find themselves 4 points behind Ireland come the morning of Tuesday next, it'll probably be on a knife edge, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

briany wrote: »
    If Scotland find themselves 4 points behind Ireland come the morning of Tuesday next, it'll probably be on a knife edge, to be fair.

True.

Anything but a Georgia win tonight would have definitely ended any slim chance

All hail Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Could RTE find any bigger microphone for Robbie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lads I was a big Robbie Keane fan but really he is past it. He has scored 3 goals in 6 games and the 3 came against Gibraltar at home, he'll score another 2 or 3 tonight and the commentators will go "Ooh Robbie Keane has 6 goals in Ireland's qualification campaign tremendous player. If we're serious about beating Georgia at home and competing with Germany at home or getting a result in Poland away we can't afford to be carrying Keano in these games, maybe bring on for the last 10mins like they do with Shane Long now...but we're inviting too much pressure from other teams when he's up front on his own

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I know it's the MLS and all that craic but did they just say Robbie has 12 goals in his last 8games? not too shabby if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Looking at those I'm thinking Scotland still have a better chance than us.

Win tonight and beat Georgia on Monday (which won't be easy) then I think we'll get through as Scotland will lose against Poland and Germany as we also most likely will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think our underperforming central midfield should be under the microscope more than who starts up front. There has been some chronic performances there but every international without fail for the past 4 years, its descends into whether Robbie Keane is good enough or not

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Lads I was a big Robbie Keane fan but really he is past it. He has scored 3 goals in 6 games and the 3 came against Gibraltar at home, he'll score another 2 or 3 tonight and the commentators will go "Ooh Robbie Keane has 6 goals in Ireland's qualification campaign tremendous player. If we're serious about beating Georgia at home and competing with Germany at home or getting a result in Poland away we can't afford to be carrying Keano in these games, maybe bring on for the last 10mins like they do with Shane Long now...but we're inviting too much pressure from other teams when he's up front on his own

He's still about the same or better than what we have IMO. He knows how to do it at international level too. We'll stick with him for the rest of the campaign and rightly so if you ask me. He's nearing the end of his career and it's not his fault there isn't anyone better pushing him out of the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Should we be cheering on POL or GER? Or a draw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

KungPao wrote: »

Germany. Let's be honest we want them get 6 points before we play them to stand chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

KungPao wrote: »

Germany win maybe? More of a chance getting a draw out of the Poland game perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Deise_2012 wrote: »

He is the best we've ever had, and the best we currently have - Long (when given the chance) hasn't had the same impact that Robbie Keane has - Robbie doesn't have long left though, which is a big worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

briany wrote: »

A win tonight puts us a point ahead of Scotland with a better goal difference - hopefully a much better goal difference.

If we match their results in the last three games we qualify. Unfortunately I don't think we'll do that - I think we'll finish level on points with Scotland but lose out on head to head record as per this scenario:

Gibraltar vs Scotland - Scotland win
    Ireland vs Georgia - Ireland win

Scotland v Germany - Germany win
    Ireland v Germany - Germany win

Scotland v Poland - Draw
    Poland v Ireland - Poland win

Final result: Ireland 15 pts, Scotland 15 pts - so basically we need to sneak a draw either at home to Germany or away to Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

He is the best we've ever had, and the best we currently have - Long (when given the chance) hasn't had the same impact that Robbie Keane has - Robbie doesn't have long left though, which is a big worry
    When was he given the chance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

20 goals in 20 games for Robbie Keane with LA Galaxy in 2015.

Another 1/2 tonight please Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gibraltar will be disappointed to concede here.

Not winning yet? We're shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I know Gibraltars ONLY stadium does not meet requirements for such a match, but this Faro Stadium looks almost empty. Was there not a smaller one near by that they could use.

A win tonight puts us a point ahead of Scotland with a better goal difference - hopefully a much better goal difference.

If we match their results in the last three games we qualify. Unfortunately I don't think we'll do that - I think we'll finish level on points with Scotland but lose out on head to head record as per this scenario:

Scotland v Poland - Draw

Final result: Ireland 15 pts, Scotland 15 pts - so basically we need to sneak a draw either at home to Germany or away to Poland.

You could be right but I think Poland will beat Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Scotland v Poland - Draw

The thing that could work in our favour by the time we play the Poles is that they may already have qualified by that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Only 4 minutes gone and Glenn Whelan already has me angry.

He really is a useless bag of sh1t.

Jack Sergeant is a bloody great name let it be said.

Ronnie Whelan commentating as if this was the World Cup final.

"Ireland have to play with more intensity"

"What a save"

Their keeper has been decent so far, but it's only a matter time lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Scotland v Poland - Draw

Does head to head count before goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I know Gibraltars ONLY stadium does not meet requirements for such a match, but this Faro Stadium looks almost empty. Was there not a smaller one near by that they could use.

I'd say there's a long list of minimum requirements they have to meet, this might have been the cheapest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan commentating as if this was the World Cup final.

"Ireland have to play with more intensity"

"What a save"

RTE are the only ones that could get excited about a game like this.

Unlucky not to have scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That_Guy wrote: »
    Jack Sergeant is a bloody great name let it be said.

Not a patch on our Cyrus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I keep playing the Rocky music in my head every time I see Gibraltar survive one of these chances.

• Advertisement

Just offside. Super play from Keano.

Oat23 wrote: »
    RTE are the only ones that could get excited about a game like this.

Well in fairness that is their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Kudos to Brady on his crossing game, excellent so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Germany 1 up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Germany 1-0 up, Muller.

Germany up by one - early days though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What a goal by Müller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone know the score of the Germany match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Even against Gibraltar houlahan manages to look like the worst player on the park

• Advertisement

Mueller scored a belter for Germany.

Hoolahan has been pretty poor so far - giving the ball away far too much

madcabbage wrote: »
    Kudos to Brady on his crossing game, excellent so far.

He has been good from set pieces. Nobody to put their head on them unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That_Guy wrote: »
    He has been good from set pieces. Nobody to put their head on them unfortunately.

Maybe he should aim for someone then! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well, this is fairly dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

2 for the Germans

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »

I'd say it could be a political reason as they don't want to play in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Could we not play a bit of ball against these lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hit the target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

2-0 Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Looks like Germany are back in business...gonna be miserable night on Monday for the Jocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement