Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil more expensive in Meath

Options
  • 03-09-2015 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭

We've a monthly budget account with a home heating oil company. I've just been pricing gas oil with them and notice that their full delivery price in Meath is more expensive than it is in any other county in the country they deliver to.
    It is €50 more expensive than Wicklow and €20/30 more expensive than the other counties they quote for.

Any ideas why this would be the case? Or maybe it's just specific to this company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

The cheapest price for kerosene 500 and 1000 litres is available in Meath at the moment. Campus - 288.01 and 562.96 as of todays prices.

http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Republic.aspx

As you are on a payment plan - you'll never get the best price from them - ring them as a random punter to see what prices they offer someone ordering for straight cash delivery and i bet it will be cheaper.

We never stick to one company - i have a list of about 8 main oil companies who deliver in Meath and i ring them or get a website quote. (a friend of mine orders frequently in his line of work so he gave me the tips)

A tip i was given and its true, that the different website quotes ARE ALWAYS CHEAPER then ringing them for a quote - perfect example is campus - 1000 kero at moment 562.96 online, ring them up and you get a quote of 580 (+€17)

Same with Emo oil in Trim. website price is always cheaper.

Only crowd who dont have a website and you have to ring is keatings and they are €38 more expensive on 1000 ltrs today then the lowest anyways.

Just spotted there you are running gas oil... 500 ltrs of kero vs gas oil is 288 vs 343 at the moment.

Any chance you can convert boiler to kero? - you'd save a few quid in long run me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hi thanks!
    Yes it's actually Campus the discrepancy is with. It's more expensive in Meath than anywhere else with them from what I can see. o_O

I've tried the cash price option in the past with them and was quoted the same price. Maybe it's different now. We've been using them for years.
    We also considered changing the boiler but it's working fine and I just can't bear to take out something that's not broken. It's serviced annually and seems to be running well, although I know we could get one that is more efficient than it is. A changeout is somewhere on that long list of maintenance issues 40 year old houses always seem to have....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Access wrote: »
    Just spotted there you are running gas oil... 500 ltrs of kero vs gas oil is 288 vs 343 at the moment.

Any chance you can convert boiler to kero? - you'd save a few quid in long run me thinks.

Not so if you look at the relative heat content per litre, that's why there is a difference between the 2, SEAI web site has the price comparison information. Last time I looked it was fractions of a cent per KwH delivered energy price, which is the figure that matters most. figures below from most recent comparison on SEAI site.

Gas Oil price per Litre 0.86 calorific value 10.55 price per KWh delivered 8.13
    Kerosene price per Litre 0.81 calorific value 10.18 price per KWh delivered 8.00

we had 1500 Litres of gas oil delivered this week that was less than the figures quoted above, not sure of the exact figure at the moment as there was a discount voucher which we used.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

twas 285 from Currans last week now 295, cannot figure that one out, prices on the forecourts are dropping except in my area (see my other rant)

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    Hi thanks!
    Yes it's actually Campus the discrepancy is with. It's more expensive in Meath than anywhere else with them from what I can see. o_O

I've tried the cash price option in the past with them and was quoted the same price. Maybe it's different now. We've been using them for years.
    We also considered changing the boiler but it's working fine and I just can't bear to take out something that's not broken. It's serviced annually and seems to be running well, although I know we could get one that is more efficient than it is. A changeout is somewhere on that long list of maintenance issues 40 year old houses always seem to have....

Id honestly never stick with the same oil company time and time again.
    Those days of being true to one supplier are gone. Kerosene is kerosene - its doesn't matter if you get it from supplier A or supplier B, what matters is the price.

We would order around 500 ltrs, three times during the winter and last winter, it was three different companies that i ordered from - each one cheapest at the time.

Advertisement