Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Open Education

Options
  • 03-09-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of doing the BSc in Management of Information Technology and Information Systems / Diploma in IT/IS through the DCU open education office and was wondering if anyone on here has done it and what was their experience/opinion of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Hi!

What are you trying to get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Im looking to get a qualification from it and a good base for studying IT (maybe do something more specific in the future) the job will pay for the course once i pass it.
    i would be interested to see how people found the modules while working full time and how many they selected for each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 merchantdon

I am currently doing this program and it is utter nonsense.

I have worked in IT for almost 18 years in administration, project management, networking and some BI but i don't have a degree which is why i decided to do this.

The content of the modules is exceptionally vague and in most cases only loosely related to ICT. There is plenty of human science and very very basic computer knowledge. There is some very basic PHP & Java. There is some heavy maths in it but this is actually one of the better modules and does have some merits.

The worst of the lot is the communications technology module, this is nothing more than an electronic course with an exceptionally thin veneer of IT (very thin). It dives into immense detail on completely irrelevant material such as electronic circuits and voltage flow!!

This course is at best cobbled together and appears to me to be just for the money!. I am currently out of pocket to the tune of €7,000 so i am too far in to pull out and go somewhere else. I will be finishing with this course at diploma level and completing my degree elsewhere.

Advertisement