Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use carrier-loaded apps?

Options
  • 03-09-2015 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Does anyone ever use the carrier or third-party apps that come preloaded, and in most cases un-removable, on smarphones? (Not the apps that come as standard, eg on android the messaging app, etc)

I imagine that companies such as Vodafone etc, spend money developing and testing these type of carrier apps with each new smart phone OS release (aside from the carrier-loaded third-party apps, for which the carrier is paid, e.g. that pile of dogs-doo that is SoundHound), bulking up the price we pay for the phones/contracts and slowing down software update releases.

The apps, such as FM radio, car mode, calendar and most annoyingly - media portals, only ever offer functionality that is also offered by other freely available apps that, nearly without fail, do a grossly better job of it.

I am puzzled as to why companies continue to persist in this crap, and persist in preventing the removal of such apps, in this day and age. Especially in view of the fact that the apps can be removed on most devices after some internet research, and indeed some hardware vendors, such as HTC, readily encourage users to do this.

A friend recently purchased a new smart phone from one particular carrier and was surprised to find that there was no carrier-loaded apps on it. While other networks still seem to be churning it out.

The mind truly boggles on the persistence of ignorance. The only thing I can think of is that there must, somehow, be some significant use of such apps. Thus a poll is born! Maybe the carriers that indulge in this practice could encouraged to stop or at least back off a bit (or, indeed if my feeling is in the minority, continue vindicated) if the result is significantly polarised.

Do you ever use carrier-loaded apps?

do you ever use carrier-loaded apps 0 votes

Yes, I cant get enough of those sloppily designed and developed apps!
    0% 0 votes
    No, keep that pile of festering excretion away from my device
    0% 0 votes

Advertisement