Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change OS

Options
  • 03-09-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

If I get laptop or desktop computer with Windows 8.1 pre installed is it possible to do a complete format and
    1 put windows 7 on it
    2 or even windows XP

Would I have any problem with hardware or drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

practice wrote: »
    If I get laptop or desktop computer with Windows 8.1 pre installed is it possible to do a complete format and
    1 put windows 7 on it
    2 or even windows XP

Would I have any problem with hardware or drivers

Assuming you have a valid Windows installation disc / iso and key then you should have no issue. Of course you shouldn't put Windows XP on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

As mordeith said no problem at all. If the computer is brand new then you can do the format as part of the process of installing windows from a usb or cd.

Also windows xp is not a good idea unless you plan to not go online as it is no longer supported for security updates by microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

If it comes with 8.1 you can upgrade to 10 for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Thanks for replies.

Just dont like 8.1 and want to wait a while on windows 10.
    Was raised on and like XP still trying to get used to windows 7.
    Have all the discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

practice wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.

Just dont like 8.1 and want to wait a while on windows 10.
    Was raised on and like XP still trying to get used to windows 7.
    Have all the discs.

Well 7 is very like XP really. I haven't jumped to 10 as I'm more than happy with 7. As others have said above, using XP online is just not a smart move these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows 10 will be faster but yes Windows 7 will work fine if you have the installation media/license code for the OS. Drivers may be a bit of hassle but Windows 8 drivers will likely work with Windows 7 fine. windows update may also pick the main ones up automatically. XP should definitely be avoided though! :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Do not install Windows XP on anything! :) Windows 8.1 is a fine OS if you take one minute out of your life to install Classic Shell, a Start menu replacement. Windows 7 is fine but certainly offers nothing that 8.1 w/ Classic Shell doesn't do better.

Advertisement