Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate moved out and left cars behind

Options
  • 03-09-2015 3:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

I live in a houseshare and over the past week we have realised that one housemate has apparently decided to move out. He had been around less and less over the past number of weeks. The landlord has told us that he has left him short on a few months rent and he has also left us with his unpaid portions of bills.
    He has also left 2 cars parked in the parking bays adjacent to the green area across the road from the house. One of them has a blown engine and has been left there while he got a replacement. Now the replacement car seems to be more or less abandoned too with the last week and there is no sign of him coming to collect either. He is not responding to any calls or texts.
    What should we do? I'd just love to call a scrappy to come get rid of them but I know I can't do that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Has he told you he's moved out or are you just assuming he has?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Are they taxed and insured? If not you could ring the Council and report them as abandoned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Landlord has told us that he has moved out. I'm pretty sure the tax is out on the broke down car. The other one, I'm not so sure.
    It's the height of ignorance to be blocking up parking spaces like this.

Call the guards if they aren't taxed and tell them that there's an abandoned car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You can log an abandoned vehicle at fixmystreet.ie, quick and easy solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Landlord has told us that he has moved out. I'm pretty sure the tax is out on the broke down car. The other one, I'm not so sure.

So go across the road and have a look.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    So go across the road and have a look.

Yeah, I will when I get back to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

If you're in a privately managed estate, Gardaí cant do anything, but management company can, happened in an estate where I was, the guy moved and it wasn't a problem till he came back every now and again taking parts off it (over a 2 month period)for the one he was driving, including the 2 front wheels, I got up one morning it was gone, how or where I don't know,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

MugMugs wrote: »
    ... Vehicles don't need insurance to be parked on a road.
    But they need insurance to be taxed (granted, the insurance might expire before the motor tax) and they need to be insured in order to take them from the parking place, unless taken by a recovery vehicle.

It seems reasonable to regard a car that has been uninsured for more than a few days, and parked on a public road, as abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

<snip>

If its there long enough, they will take it. Call and log it with DCC. On my road, which is pretty small. Someone used to constantly dump cars, as in there was 4/5 cars abandoned by guy. The guy eventually removed them after a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Why would I report it to DCC? I'm in Cork!

Why would I report it to DCC? I'm in Cork!

You probably should have specified that in your OP.

Are the cars taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You can log an abandoned vehicle at fixmystreet.ie, quick and easy solution.

Thanks for that.....

Advertisement