Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Agent paid 1 year in Advance

Options
  • 03-09-2015 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

I rent a flat in the UK and I use a high street property agent to manage it for me.

They recently found a tenant who paid 1 year rent in advance + the deposit (realise re. potential for drug farms etc and have appropraite checks in place), but they are not willing to give me the years rent sum even if i sign a guarantee that i will stay with the Agent for the next year and hence guarantee their monthy fee.

It would be a nice sum to help try pay some of the mortgage down (leaving reserves for emergency repairs) and reduce my interest rate but the agent has achieved fait accompi and i'm stuck with the agent who I was considering changing (for other reasons), as they hold the years rent money!

The agent has said they legally cannot give me the money. I understand Irish and UK legislation on this may be different but in thinking about it im not so sure it would be illegal to give the landlord rent in advance..

They stated I could go bust in the meantime..but presumably so could they.

Any one ever being in a similar position?

Thanks.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement