Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flavour problem with roast potatoes with rosemary/garlic

Options
  • 03-09-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Every time I make roast potatoes with rosemary and garlic, the flavour from them is no where near what you get in a decent Italian. They taste like normal roast potatoes. I always parboil the potatoes for approx 5mins, dry and allow to cool slightly and toss with either dried or fresh rosemary (it does'nt make any difference)/olive oil and a few cloves of garlic. I always add salt after cooking. I roast at 200deg c (fan) for approx 25 mins and mix once during cooking. Perhaps I need to be adding a bit of MSG!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

Not sure if this will help, but I normally melt some butter in a small pan on the lowest possible heat and mix the rosemary and smashed garlic through that for a few minutes in order to suck out the flavour. I don't let it get anywhere near to frying point.
    I toss the potatoes through that before roasting.
    The butter obviously evaporates on roasting but the flavours seem to stick. I made this up through trial and error but it seems to work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I agree with the above poster. I use gee/butter for flavour and also use fresh rosemary and bruise it a bit and smash the garlic. Seems to have a better flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fuzzby100

Many thanks Rojito and Miaireland for your suggestions I will definitely try them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thud

I would add the garlic just before they finish roasting if you want more garlic flavor otherwise it will dry out and flavor and texture will change

Advertisement