Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars Novels

• 03-09-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all

As a relative newbie to Star Wars(only seen movies) what novels either written or graphic would you recommend to read to get uptonspeed before the new movie comes out?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Antibac wrote: »
    Hi all

As a relative newbie to Star Wars(only seen movies) what novels either written or graphic would you recommend to read to get uptonspeed before the new movie comes out?

Cheers!

With the Disney acquisition they pretty much threw out all the expanded universe and said that only the movies and the Clone Wars cartoon series were to be deemed as canon up to that point and any official stories to come out with the Star Wars brand was to be considered relevant, there's a fairly good timeline of books here

Personally, I'd probably concentrate on some of the older adult stuff that concentrates on the first time of the Sith, mainly cause it's by an large new characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

In terms of being upto speed prior to new movies, it's like Clareman said - nothing there at all as the slate was totally wiped clean.
    There's a tonne of books in the Expanded Universe, now relabeled as 'Legends'. They won't tie into the movies at all but some of them are very good. (More info here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends)

In the Legends category,
    Anything by Timothy Zahn is worth reading, some excellent characters. Allegiance and Scoundrels are v good, as is anything with the character Thrawn.
    'Death Troopers' is great, and the Darth Bane books by Drew Karpyshyn are a good read also.

First new book of the new canon, 'Aftermath' is due out next week: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00USOCNCQ/ref=pe_2052431_78646191_em_1p_0_ti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

What about prequel stories ? like the story of Darth Plageuis (sp?) and Palpatine ?

Is that considered still true ? presumably yes since these new episodes are sequels..

Clareman wrote: »
    With the Disney acquisition they pretty much threw out all the expanded universe and said that only the movies and the Clone Wars cartoon series were to be deemed as canon up to that point and any official stories to come out with the Star Wars brand was to be considered relevant, there's a fairly good timeline of books here

Personally, I'd probably concentrate on some of the older adult stuff that concentrates on the first time of the Sith, mainly cause it's by an large new characters.

So not the CGI series of Clone Wars ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

So not the CGI series of Clone Wars ?

CGI Clone Wars is canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

chrislad wrote: »
    CGI Clone Wars is canon.

Genndy Tartakovsky's one is the one that isn't (which is a pity because it's cool and I don't think it really contradicts anything much).

Gbear wrote: »
    Genndy Tartakovsky's one is the one that isn't (which is a pity because it's cool and I don't think it really contradicts anything much).

Yeah was great !!

I started watching the other and the first episode was decent, but those stupid droids annoy me and the effort at comedy is ... mehh

Yoda is cool tho..

Hi Guys,

What about the Darth Bane trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn ?

they look good, I might embark on them.

They're really enjoyable reads, at least I thoroughly enjoyed them. Again, they're not canon, blah de blah de blah, but they're so far back in the timeline versus the current canon, it won't make a difference.

They're really enjoyable reads, at least I thoroughly enjoyed them. Again, they're not canon, blah de blah de blah, but they're so far back in the timeline versus the current canon, it won't make a difference.

Exactly, the Darth Plageuis story was fantastic (so much better then I expected) and not canon, but so what - who knows when they will get to that stage of the story - if ever.

Even more so for Darth Bane.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Exactly, the Darth Plageuis story was fantastic (so much better then I expected) and not canon, but so what - who knows when they will get to that stage of the story - if ever.

Even more so for Darth Bane.

Thanks!

I have a feeling that the Darth Plageuis story *may* intercept with the Supreme Leader Snoke story. It would be a nice way to tie it all together. Like the prequels or not, and they do have redeeming points, they're still part of the story!

I have a feeling that the Darth Plageuis story *may* intercept with the Supreme Leader Snoke story. It would be a nice way to tie it all together. Like the prequels or not, and they do have redeeming points, they're still part of the story!

I'm hoping so !!

But if so, they won't go _that_ far back into the story, I mean yes there will be conflicts but nothing as major as say the Thrawn trilogy would have now ..

Thought that Aftermath was decent enough.

A few cheap bait and switches and nothing generally happens of note, but if it's going to be a series then all the little titbits will come together.

It doesn't stand on it's own as anything great but it's a decent read all the same.

I read Cloak of Deception there, decent but too political ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Timothy Zahn returns with Grand Admiral Thrawn due April 2017.

13726782_10154363305573713_7522759241827991271_n.jpg?oh=39f4668b625dc9d791fc56f190efd47f&oe=57ED2928

Fantastic!
    Nice to see some characters are not lost with the purge. Looking forward to that!

Great to see Zahn and Thrawn back

Just finished Aftermath: Life Debt. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first and I'm looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Great to see Zahn and Thrawn back

Just finished Aftermath: Life Debt. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Just started it yesterday. Interesting that you liked it better than the first, which I wasn't too impressed with. Not so much the story, more the style of writing. We'll see how this goes!

Just started it yesterday. Interesting that you liked it better than the first, which I wasn't too impressed with. Not so much the story, more the style of writing. We'll see how this goes!

The writing style was something I got used to as the first book progressed. It doesn't seem as pronounced in this book and since all the characters are established, it starts fairly fast paced and keeps on going for the length of the book really. I had a few issues with jumping ahead a mid near the end but definitely not the slog the first one was.

Well, I enjoyed it a lot more than the first one. No doubt that had a lot to do with the fact that some much-loved characters were in this one!

Wendig's style still irritates me at times but this became less of a factor as the book progressed. It was probably going to take him time to settle into the SW universe so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sloane is a good character even if there are elements of early Mara Jade and Admiral Daala in her. I lile the direction the Empire is headed towards (literally!) and it should make for a good conclusion to the trilogy.

The twists in the latter stages worked and didn't seem forced or contrived. It's always a good sign when you want a book to continue so overall I'd give Life Debt a solid 8 out of 10. Looking forward to the next one.

• Advertisement

13726782_10154363305573713_7522759241827991271_n.jpg?oh=39f4668b625dc9d791fc56f190efd47f&oe=57ED2928

So when is this set ?

After TFA ?, between ROTJ - TFA ?

Anyone can recommend a good bookstore in Dublin for SW novels ?

apart from the usual places like Hodges Figgis / Easons etc..

Anyone can recommend a good bookstore in Dublin for SW novels ?

apart from the usual places like Hodges Figgis / Easons etc..

It's not known at the moment. I suspect it will take part pre ANH and post ROTJ, but pre FA.

Im reading the 1st Darth Bane novel (Path of Destruction) by Drew Karpyshyn
    addictive ... great read ..

Im reading the 1st Darth Bane novel (Path of Destruction) by Drew Karpyshyn
    addictive ... great read ..

One of my favourite EU novels! Great to see people still reading the old books, it's definitely one I would read again.

One of my favourite EU novels! Great to see people still reading the old books, it's definitely one I would read again.

As far as I am concerned untill they make films/tv shows that says these aren't canon - they are canon to me ! Nothing in them contradicts with the new films.

Part 2, and 3 as good too ?

I will order them soon.

As far as I am concerned untill they make films/tv shows that says these aren't canon - they are canon to me ! Nothing in them contradicts with the new films.

Part 2, and 3 as good too ?

I will order them soon.

First one was my favourite but they're all well worth a read, yeah.

With the Han Solo film (or films) heading our way, just wondering if you or anyone else has read the Han Solo trilogy by AC Crispin? They were brilliant books and I wonder if any of the storylines will be patched into the films. I'd highly recommend them.

I haven't, and I'd be slightly reluctant to read 'em with the films coming up as that will null them in canon terms at least.

But then again if they are a good read - maybe, a good book is a good book after all.

Anyone read the Revan book ?

Revan is referenced a lot in Path of Destruction - just wondering is it a good read ?

seems an interesting character from what I read in POD ..

• Advertisement

Anyone read the Revan book ?

Revan is referenced a lot in Path of Destruction - just wondering is it a good read ?

seems an interesting character from what I read in POD ..

I think I started to, and I got a bit tired of it. Most of what is interesting about that character is in the Knights of the Old Republic game so I'd just play that or just get a good synopsis of it.

Darth Malgus seems an interesting character to me too, any recommended books featuring him ?

Thnks

Darth Malgus seems an interesting character to me too, any recommended books featuring him ?

Thnks

Its Legends stuff now - The Old Republic - Deceived.

It's fairly good.

Yeah, again, I remember reading that, and I think it was one of the ones I really enjoyed. I generally liked most of the Old Republic era stuff around the 3,000 years before ANH timeframe.

I think I started to, and I got a bit tired of it. Most of what is interesting about that character is in the Knights of the Old Republic game so I'd just play that or just get a good synopsis of it.

Yeah I'd recommend the same. Not played much of those games but I did read the Revan book.

Strange book, was written to fill in some gaps between other stories and is really disjointed.
    You get bits of storylines then years pass in between and you pick it back up again later. There's a lot of mention of other things happening in other stories / games but this really is just a filler.
    Not all bad, if you really like the character then sure, give it a read but there are plenty better books out there.

Anyone read Lords of the Sith by Paul S Kemp?

I thought it was one of the better books so far in the new canon, if a little OTT at times.

Without giving much away it's great to see Palpatine and Vader 'team up' and get placed outside of their comfort zone. We get some interesting conversations between them with Palpatine ruminating on Vader's tormented past and almost provoking his apprentice at times.

The book gets straight into the action and is a real page turner. The Twi'leks story is weaved in very well and anyone familiar with the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons will be satisfied.

One of the main problems for me was that some of the action scenes involving Palpatine and Vader are faintly ridiculous and far too superhero-esque. Also the ending is quite rushed and a couple of plotlines are left hanging or just forgotten about.

But if you're a fan of Palpatine, Vader and the Dark Side you'll probably like this. I'd give it 7 out of 10.

• Advertisement

I thought it was one of the better books so far in the new canon, if a little OTT at times.

Without giving much away it's great to see Palpatine and Vader 'team up' and get placed outside of their comfort zone. We get some interesting conversations between them with Palpatine ruminating on Vader's tormented past and almost provoking his apprentice at times.

The book gets straight into the action and is a real page turner. The Twi'leks story is weaved in very well and anyone familiar with the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons will be satisfied.

One of the main problems for me was that some of the action scenes involving Palpatine and Vader are faintly ridiculous and far too superhero-esque. Also the ending is quite rushed and a couple of plotlines are left hanging or just forgotten about.

But if you're a fan of Palpatine, Vader and the Dark Side you'll probably like this. I'd give it 7 out of 10.

It´s on my list and I might bump it up after reading this, bonus that it is canon too..

I was going to read Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno too ..

any good ? - obviously part of Legends now but Luceno has written some great EU novels..

I thought the final battle with very OTT, but overall, I liked it. I love how they are focusing on smaller characters for the most part, like the governor etc from this book, and even in the Aftermath books, the main focus in on newer characters, rather than the big three (well, big six now I suppose!)

It´s on my list and I might bump it up after reading this, bonus that it is canon too..

I was going to read Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno too ..

any good ? - obviously part of Legends now but Luceno has written some great EU novels..

Loved it. Regardless of it being part of Legends, I think it's essential reading. The idea of getting inside Vader's mind in the weeks after the events of ROTS is fascinating and Luceno, as always, does a fine job handling it. I'd definitely recommend this one!

Cheers, will read soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jazzmcd

If its not said already, definitely give the Thrawn series a read

• Advertisement

I was reading the Dark Lord trilogy, I got the all in one volume with
    Labryinth of evil
    Revenge of the Sith
    Rise of Darth Vader

anyway, I always though the only true emotional part of the prequels was Padmes funeral - no dialog incidentally ... and from the book
    Huge solemn crowds line Palace Plaza in Theed, the capital of Naboo, as six beautiful white gualaars draw a flower-draped open casket bearing the remains of a
    beloved Senator through the Triumphal arch, her fingers finally and forever clasping a snippet of japor, one that had been carved long ago by the hand of a nine year old boy from an obscure desert planet in the far Outer Rim....

So sad .... :o

Just finished reading Ashoka, the new YA novel. It's not bad. The first half is definitely stronger with some nice flashbacks, but the second half feels a bit rushed, basically to get her into the position she's in for the end of Rebels Season 1. Worth a read though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Reading Tarkin at the moment.

Great read, I like the way Luceno is canonizing some of Darth Plageuis
    here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Reading Tarkin at the moment.

Great read, I like the way Luceno is canonizing some of Darth Plageuis
    here :D

If you enjoy Tarkin, I recommend Catalyst (the Rogue One prequel novel). It's out in Ireland tomorrow, here's my review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Mr. K wrote: »
    If you enjoy Tarkin, I recommend Catalyst (the Rogue One prequel novel). It's out in Ireland tomorrow, here's my review.
    I came in here to look for recommendations for a 12 year old and instead find something for myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Mr. K wrote: »

Nice thanks for reminding me !

James Luceno too :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Legionn_of_Dan

While now in the Legends category, The X-wing series of books is my absolute favourite of all the Star Wars Novels. Wedge Antilles was in all three of the original movies and has been re-introduced into Star Wars Rebels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is available on Amazon - featuring new scenes and expanded material.

Another James Luceno novel done and dusted! He's really clocking them up now. I wouldn't say Catalyst was my favourite Luceno SW book but it's eminently readable and enjoyable. Krennic's dastardly manipulation of Galen reminded me of Iago's scheming and plotting in Othello, it was that good!

I finished Catalyst on the very day I went to see Rogue One so the story was fresh in my mind and maybe enhanced my viewing of the film (which I thought was superb). It's very much character driven, there is very little action in it and sometimes that's a good thing in the SW universe. Overall it's a fine companion piece to Rogue One and I'd recommend it.

Looking forward to this. I know it's been done before with the Tales... anthologies from the 90s but still we should get some good stories.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-from-a-certain-point-of-view-anthology-book-celebrates-40-years-of-a-galaxy-far-far-away

• Advertisement
Advertisement