Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 5s - Dead screen

• 03-09-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

My wife has a iPhone 5s for about 1.5 years now and the screen just completely stopped working, you can still hear it ringing and working away but the screen is blank and doesn't seem to power up or anything. So I'm guessing the screen itself is gone.

Before I do anything I rang a guy in a phone store to see what will the repair cost be and he said in the region of €150.

So my question is since its under two years old surely Apple will have to repair it under European consumer law?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yep, I'd get onto Apple. I think you have about five years under Irish law, depending on circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Afaik Apple don't entertain warranty claims after 12 months unless you bought it directly from them. If you got it through one of the network providers then you'd have to go back to them after the 12 month manufacturers warranty (the EU law states the warranty is with the point of sale, not the manufacturer). Even though you're correct it won't be an easy claim, they'll try and find anything to not repair under warranty, the slightest mark on the phone and they'll put it down to accidental damage (not apple, but the service centres have a reputation of doing this). Anyway good luck.
    Screen repair shouldn't cost more than around €70 if going to a local repair shop. I'd recommend e-tech in Dundrum. It could also just be a loose connector which should cost less to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

flyguy wrote: »
    Afaik Apple don't entertain warranty claims after 12 months unless you bought it directly from them. If you got it through one of the network providers then you'd have to go back to them after the 12 month manufacturers warranty (the EU law states the warranty is with the point of sale, not the manufacturer). Even though you're correct it won't be an easy claim, they'll try and find anything to not repair under warranty, the slightest mark on the phone and they'll put it down to accidental damage (not apple, but the service centres have a reputation of doing this). Anyway good luck.
    Screen repair shouldn't cost more than around €70 if going to a local repair shop. I'd recommend e-tech in Dundrum. It could also just be a loose connector which should cost less to repair.

I brought it direct from apple themselves. Ok a heads up on the phone they screen came back on after 2 days but its now going on and off and the touch doesn't work anymore. Iv yet to contact apple iv been putting it off mainly due to laziness on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Dont think its a complicated fix to replace screen yourself. Screens about 60 quid.

Advertisement