Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what point do you let a missing pet go?

• 03-09-2015 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭

My cat Oscar went missing in mid July. He was staying with my parents down the country the last 9 months or so and they suspect he got into a builders van that was there.

He's been searched for, posted everywhere online, radio mentions, etc. And although there were a number of calls, none of them turned out to be him and the calls have since dried up.

I don't know when to stop or let go though. I keep checking lost pet pages and asking sites to post his picture up... But when do I stop and give up?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I think you stop when you're ready to. There's no deadline or time limit. If you feel at peace with how things are, then you can let go. If you still feel like there's a chance and avenues to go through, keep trekking on. Ultimately it is no-one's decision but yours. Do what you feel is right, not what other people tell you what you should be feeling/doing right now.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I feel for you, Jimmy, as I'm in exactly the same position but fortunately not for as long yet. One of our cats escaped in rural Wicklow, and ran into some nearby woodland back at the start of August. She's been spotted once early on, but not since, so it's easy to fear the worst, but I'm not giving up yet. I've got a live trap in the area and also a wildlife trail camera, both of which are checked daily, but still no sign of her. My only hope is that now the weather has got cooler, she may be tempted to seek out a nice warm house somewhere nearby, so I'm planning on leafletting them all soon.

One thing I learnt though while researching cat behaviour when lost is that if they're 'displaced', i.e. they're lost far away from their home territory, they tend to stay close by, and not roam too far, usually no more than 400m or so apparently.

Anyway, I'd say don't give up just yet, I've heard stories about cats being found several months later. Good luck!

There's some good tips here by the way, http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-tips/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

With regards to missing pets, I'd say the prognosis for a cat is infinitely better than most dogs, so from July to now I still wouldn't give up.

Granted, I wouldn't give up if it were my dog either, but I'd be a lot more hopeful of a cat's chances as people tend to be far more sympathetic to a hungry cat, and even if not they can catch their own food and reach places of shelter that wouldn't be available to a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I found a cat a couple of years ago hanging around aldi carpark. Put her pic up through a local rescues website. After 3 days I got a call from her owners (who had lots of photos of her to prove ownership, she was a distinctive looking cat), turns out the cat had gone missing from them almost a year earlier! They lived a half hour drive away from where I found her. Obviously over that length of time this cat had found an inbetween home, someone was feeding her anyway because she was in ok condition. Cats are survivors so theres a good chance your cat has found some type of care.

We lost a cat a long time ago, he escaped from a cattery we left him in while we went on holidays. It broke our hearts and we tried everything but never found him. We eventually, after a long time, came to terms with the fact he wasn't going to be found, but I like to think someone somewhere took him in and looked after him. You'll only be able to let go of it when you feel it I think. But I wouldn't give up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Our cat Noah is missing almost 3 years. We have accepted that we will probably never see him again, but when ever were out for walks we still look for him. Just on the off chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As a short update to this, I must not have been ready to let go as I kept posting and following up all leads on Oscar despite him being missing almost three months.

He was found Saturday and is safely home. Clear case of my heart winning out over my head and a good result coming from it! I'm shocked because I really never expected to get him back alive at least. And dreaded never knowing what had happened.

I'm so glad I can put a happy ending on this thread though :)

365265.jpg

365266.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's very heartening, as it's a similar situation to mine in as much as our cat went missing in unfamiliar surroundings too. Could I ask, was it a rural environment, like in my case? I'd like to think that Holly would be able to fend for herself, despite her age, as she's still very agile and still hunts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

That's fantastic JB!!!! Wow! After 3 months! What kind of state was he in when you found him? (Fingers crossed he was being spoiled rotten with a foster family, lol)

I'm delighted for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I only saw this thread and was going to post up about my old cat, an imaginatively named tabby called Tiger. When we moved from just outside Cork to just outside Dublin in January 1987 he came with us. Three days after moving into the new house there was a relatively heavy snowfall and he disappeared. For weeks and weeks afterwards I searched but no sign.

5 months later I was playing in an old disused quarry about 3/4 mile from the house, and who should appear? Tiger.

The point I was making was to never give up, cats are survivors!

Good to hear you had a happy outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Alun wrote: »
    That's very heartening, as it's a similar situation to mine in as much as our cat went missing in unfamiliar surroundings too. Could I ask, was it a rural environment, like in my case? I'd like to think that Holly would be able to fend for herself, despite her age, as she's still very agile and still hunts too.

He was living in a rural environment and would regularly bring back birds and mice with a cold, dead psychotic stare in his eyes :D So he's a strong, sharp, smart cat. Also has been wrestling dogs since he was six weeks old so he can handle himself.

He was found in our local town though, so I'm shocked he dodged cars for three months. Everyone had said cats are resilient, but I didn't believe it until he was found.
    That's fantastic JB!!!! Wow! After 3 months! What kind of state was he in when you found him? (Fingers crossed he was being spoiled rotten with a foster family, lol)

I'm delighted for you :)

In a perfect state, aside from his bottom ribs being a little sticky-outy according to my sister. But he was a chub-monster so he had a nice fat reserve to dip into! I'd say he did alright food-wise but not as well as he had been doing at home!
    I only saw this thread and was going to post up about my old cat, an imaginatively named tabby called Tiger. When we moved from just outside Cork to just outside Dublin in January 1987 he came with us. Three days after moving into the new house there was a relatively heavy snowfall and he disappeared. For weeks and weeks afterwards I searched but no sign.

5 months later I was playing in an old disused quarry about 3/4 mile from the house, and who should appear? Tiger.

The point I was making was to never give up, cats are survivors!

Good to hear you had a happy outcome.

Thanks a million KH6. Good to see ya around :)

People have asked is he likely to go missing again as he's a tomcat. He didn't wander; we suspect he hopped into a furniture van delivering to our house which was full of cushions and then got taken for an unexpected drive. The driver heard meowing about ten minutes down the road, stopped and searched. No cat. Thought he must be going mad.

But that's where Oscar presumably hopped out and he made his way to the town which is where he was found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yayyy!!! So happy for you! :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

That's fantastic news, I'm delighted for you and Oscar.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

ah jaysus I love a happy ending brilliant news jb

Advertisement