Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Applied Maths

• 03-09-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys, hope this is the right forum.

My aunt has asked me if I could help teaching applied maths outside school to my cousin. I've a degree in applied physics so I know the content inside out.

Just wondering which topic would be the best to start with for his level of math. He got an A in honours in the JC and he'll be doing honours maths and physics for the leaving as well. Obviously I can't launch into anything calculus related just yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check the syllabus and stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Id start with vectors. Once a strong foudation of understanding in vectors is established, he will then feel confident tackling other questions; as vectors are a vital component in most other questions.

After vectors, try linesr velocity/uniform acceleration. This is a good starting point as it is a full question in the paper. It is also a great start to get him into critical thinking/problem solving.

Projectiles could be a good choice for the next topic, as this stems a lot from linear velocity/uniform acceleration.

See how you get on with these starting chapters and see how he responds to them and if they're going well - it shouldnt matter what your next topic is. He'll fly the rest of them.

These were the order I was taught Applied Maths in, and I just picked up my A2 in my LC a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps!

Ps. If you can, try giving continous assesment of past chapters. I found that I had quickly forgotten almost complete full chapters once they became a few months old. Continous assesment and revision of old chapters will be a big help coming up to exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

Benm123 wrote: »
    Id start with vectors. Once a strong foundation of understanding in vectors is established, he will then feel confident tackling other questions; as vectors are a vital component in most other questions.

After vectors, try linesr velocity/uniform acceleration. This is a good starting point as it is a full question in the paper. It is also a great start to get him into critical thinking/problem solving.

Projectiles could be a good choice for the next topic, as this stems a lot from linear velocity/uniform acceleration.

See how you get on with these starting chapters and see how he responds to them and if they're going well - it shouldnt matter what your next topic is. He'll fly the rest of them.

These were the order I was taught Applied Maths in, and I just picked up my A2 in my LC a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps!

Ps. If you can, try giving continous assesment of past chapters. I found that I had quickly forgotten almost complete full chapters once they became a few months old. Continous assesment and revision of old chapters will be a big help coming up to exams.

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

thephysisteacher.ie has good notes and comprehensive past papers. I would do Libear Motion first as it's one of the most interesting topics but also probably the one with the most basic theory; it'll allow him to get into swing of things. I personally think Statics is a great preparation for resolving vectors into perpendicular components. After that, as Benm3 said, order doesn't particularly matter.

Advertisement