Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good wireless router

Options
  • 03-09-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, mods please move to relevant forum if needs be.

I have just upgraded to UPC and getting 249mb/s on their 240mb/s package through a wired connection, which is great! I am using an older Apple Airport Extreme wireless router, but the speed drop is significant, sub 10mb/s when sitting beside the access point.

I don't remember it being this bad recently, so I am looking to upgrade my wireless router as a first step, I will be using it plugged into the crap thompson upc modem, which will have the wifi switched off, then my ps4,xbox,Atv plugged into the router. Now I know the thompson modem can't be turned into bridge mode to be a true modem, allowing the wireless router to do all the routing and switching, but its been working ok for the last year so ill live with it.

So what I'm looking for here, is any recommendations for a decent wireless router with 5+ ethernet ports.

TL:DR

Recommend me a wireless router

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, mods please move to relevant forum if needs be.

I have just upgraded to UPC and getting 249mb/s on their 240mb/s package through a wired connection, which is great! I am using an older Apple Airport Extreme wireless router, but the speed drop is significant, sub 10mb/s when sitting beside the access point.

I don't remember it being this bad recently, so I am looking to upgrade my wireless router as a first step, I will be using it plugged into the crap thompson upc modem, which will have the wifi switched off, then my ps4,xbox,Atv plugged into the router. Now I know the thompson modem can't be turned into bridge mode to be a true modem, allowing the wireless router to do all the routing and switching, but its been working ok for the last year so ill live with it.

So what I'm looking for here, is any recommendations for a decent wireless router with 5+ ethernet ports.

TL:DR

Recommend me a wireless router

Tplink Archer C7 or C8 as recommended in this thread
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057367191/1

Advertisement