Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC/Counter Strike Issue

Options
  • 03-09-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I don't no where the problem is but i game on pc and i cant say i have any other problems with any games i actually play regularly, but when i play counter strike i always have ping issues, i have 240mbs fiber optic, through wireless im getting about 50mbs down and 20mbs up - the fiber is for 6 - 8 devices and there is only about 6 connected maybe 8 but not all used at the same time.

So when im playing i need about 60 - 70 ms to be able to play perfectly anything over and then it causes problems, but its really only counter strike that has this issue when im gaming i have tried loads of different launch options on steam, and its not lag spikes i watch my fps all the time and i usually get 230 - 250 fps, so anyone have the same problem ? Is it the internet or the game ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Are you playing over a wired or wireless connection?
    Try it on a wired connection and see if that resolves it.
    If it does, you know it's not the game it's your WiFi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Are you playing over a wired or wireless connection?
    Try it on a wired connection and see if that resolves it.
    If it does, you know it's not the game it's your WiFi network.

I have tried it on a wired connection and it still happens but not as often and i have a pretty expensive wireless adapter, so i don't think that is the problem im using a laptop that already has a adapter in it but its disabled could it still be causing problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its not fibre. Its DOCSIS 3.0.

Run a traceroute between your laptop to the specific CS server to try identify where the issue is.

UPC supplied equipment are unsuitable for the broadband products they supply. And have been for a long time. Your adapter choice is irrelevant in this context.

Gaming is best done over a wired connection. Wireless is not a great mechanism for that type of data transmission.

Its not fibre. Its DOCSIS 3.0.

Run a traceroute between your laptop to the specific CS server to try identify where the issue is.

UPC supplied equipment are unsuitable for the broadband products they supply. And have been for a long time. Your adapter choice is irrelevant in this context.

Gaming is best done over a wired connection. Wireless is not a great mechanism for that type of data transmission.

Okay i dont no what you mean by a traceroute ? :P and yeah i understand by wired being better but how come xbox and ps can run so much better with less internet, i live with 2 of my friends there xbox and ps gamers and im the pc gamer but there consoles never lag at all when im the one to get the brunt of it, and we all game over wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Okay i dont no what you mean by a traceroute ? :P and yeah i understand by wired being better but how come xbox and ps can run so much better with less internet, i live with 2 of my friends there xbox and ps gamers and im the pc gamer but there consoles never lag at all when im the one to get the brunt of it, and we all game over wireless.

Ok if you are all using the same network maybe your laptop is the issue?

• Advertisement

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Ok if you are all using the same network maybe your laptop is the issue?

I have been thinking that for a while to that it may have a problem, but what would it be i took out the other wireless card and i have a new adapter.

It is a custom laptop, i no it uses a clevo motherboard can they cause problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

LukeyKid wrote: »

Its wireless, there are a hundred reasons why performance can degrade.

Consoles are already a lag fest because of a lack of dedicated servers.

Windows implementation of traceroute.

Its wireless, there are a hundred reasons why performance can degrade.

Consoles are already a lag fest because of a lack of dedicated servers.

Windows implementation of traceroute.

Ah cool man thanks ill try that out :)

Advertisement