Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Violent assault leaves two Gardaí in hospital

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You should try it yourself sometime.

Nice subtle personal abuse. It's been reported.

Should have been nicer to him and he wouldn't have been forced to be abusive to you.

Look, three more people forced to hospitalise a Garda.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ballyfermot-men-arrested-garda-car-rammed-2313923-Sep2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Should have been nicer to him and he wouldn't have been forced to be abusive to you.

Look, three more people forced to hospitalise a Garda.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ballyfermot-men-arrested-garda-car-rammed-2313923-Sep2015/

But why were they driving the stolen car in the first place? Maybe the Gardai put them in the car. I bet that Garda also egged them on by putting on their lights and indicating for them to pull over, the abusive cow! :rolleyes:

But why were they driving the stolen car in the first place? Maybe the Gardai put them in the car. I bet that Garda also egged them on by putting on their lights and indicating for them to pull over, the abusive cow! :rolleyes:

Intimidating them with their uniforms and lights they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

A 19-year-old and another man in his 20s appeared at the Criminal Courts of Justice this evening charged with another warrant and this incident..

Driving a stolen car into a garda patrol car. And also wanted for another crime. Sounds like exactly the type of person I want to invest tax payers money into. He definitely deserves just one more chance.

/s

I wonder who will pay for the patrol car that's more than likely a write off? Not to mention the local station is now without a much needed set of wheels and a garda will be off duty for some time.

If that garda even gets so much as an apology I imagine it'll be a faked, forced one mumbled in a court room before a suspended sentence is read out.

Next time it might be a kid who gets a belt of a robbed car.

As an aside, I'm always awestruck when people say that being a garda is a cushy number.

Crap pay for the first decade. Long hours. And dealing with idiots who see nothing wrong with reversing over you in a car, breaking your nose and jaw or ramming your patrol car.

"Sure they knew what they signed up for."

Fecken Gardaí. Trying to apprehend dangerous criminals before they do damage to private property or civilians. Haven't they a water meter to guard sure??!!

I'll bow out.

I won't/ can't get you to see my points. Trust me, yours have been rammed down my neck since I was a child.

Not going to change me, I still have faith in humanity. Even you lot :P

Best of luck locking away people and throwing away keys. That's worked out real well in the past.

I'll bow out.

I won't/ can't get you to see my points. Trust me, yours have been rammed down my neck since I was a child.

Not going to change me, I still have faith in humanity. Even you lot :P

Best of luck locking away people and throwing away keys. That's worked out real well in the past.

You still haven't shown me the post where I said any of that stuff. You just ignored my request instead of admitting you misquoted and misrepresented me. So you can leave the victim act at the door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

So if you think somebody's not being nice to you here it's OK to be abusive back to them?
    Wanna run that theory past a mod there boss?

You still haven't shown me the post where I said any of that stuff. You just ignored my request instead of admitting you misquoted and misrepresented me. So you can leave the victim act at the door.

You must have some ego to think I was talking to you specifically.

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted. Enjoy your wagon circling.

No ego. It's just that you quoted my post and responded to it directly with
    Your position is they're indefensible scum who should be locked up without a trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Nothing much can be done with juvenile offenders. Better training and support for Gardaí though would go a long way to training them to kick the utter living shyte out of these scrotes.

Nah they can't do that or they'll be done for excessive force and lose their jobs. Remember, Garda Siochana is not a "force" anymore because it's considered too strong.

So the minute you're asked what you'd do, or what you think should actually, practically be done you bow out?

Fair enough. If that's your solution then I think you're conviction is more an ideological one than a practical one. And that tells me you don't actually face the reality of these kinds of situations as you claim to.

For someone who apparently works with these types you've fcuk all up your sleeve when it comes to dealing with them.

Fukuyama wrote: »
    For someone who apparently works with these types you've fcuk all up your sleeve when it comes to dealing with them.
    Jaysis, lot of tough guys here tonight. Maybe they should join AGS (if they haven't already...) and there wouldn't be so many cops getting the ****e battered out of them by kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Hahaha.

Step away from the daily mail, will ya?

I'm afraid that that's the actual reality of my working day. It's not my problem that you exist in some cloud cuckoo land where these "kids" are just confused need some handholding and given enough empathy will transform into Johnboy and Eriin Walton in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Don't be so dishonest. Lots of people have posted far more nuanced replies than that.
    I have no time for the "hang 'em high" outlook either, but your views are too much in the opposite direction - making them out to be victims who are essentially good, and who aren't responsible for themselves, despite numerous reasonable points contradicting this (not just the "Lock 'em up, give them a hiding" stuff, of which there has actually been very little).

An approach somewhere in the middle is all I'd be advocating for.

Enough damage done to it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

carzony wrote: »
    Enough damage done to it..

The plastic bumper is a bit broken - the fog light didn't even break. "Rammed" or bumped into? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I have no time myself for the approach of 'shoot them' or shipping them to eastern europe or whatever stupid suggestions people on here have come up with. But at the same time, it can't just be rehabilitation, there has to be punishment, and people like this have to stop thinking of themselves and being perceived as just victims of the system, bad parenting, whatever. You make your own choices in life*, and if you choose to rob someone house, armed robbery, mug someone, beat the **** out of a copper just trying to do their job, you need to be punished, not just rehabilitated.

*I obviously accept its not as simple as saying that, but we need better punishments than suspended sentences, letters of half hearted apology, whatever.

• Advertisement

The plastic bumper is a bit broken - the fog light didn't even break. "Rammed" or bumped into? :confused:

Lads in stolen cars dont "bump" into garda cars.

Modern cars are plastic. They don't crumple in the same way you'd expect say an 07 Mondeo garda car to.

There's enough damage done to the garda car to suggest they were driving recklessly enough to mow down a kid or knock down a cyclist.

Lads in stolen cars dont "bump" into garda cars.

Modern cars are plastic. They don't crumple in the same way you'd expect say an 07 Mondeo garda car to.

There's enough damage done to the garda car to suggest they were driving recklessly enough to mow down a kid or knock down a cyclist.

Cobblers - the headlights aren't even damaged and neither is the bonnet. It took a fender bender - light sideways across the front contact and no more. Could be another case of "hypeing it up"? A bit like the street value of seized drugs. "Rammed at high speed..." = bumped into lightly.
    http://youtu.be/9esUAdi1VEs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm in my mid twenties now and live in an average enough town. I was in school mainly during the booming Celtic Tiger days.
    My class was made up of people from surrounding country side, private and council houses. We had no boxing club, youth centre, cinema, swimming pool, playground.
    I was never in trouble with the Gardai. I don't think I ever spoke to a Garda when I was a kid outside of school organised events. The vast majority of my class was like this and also treated teachers with respect. The majority of people who got into trouble were from council estates and what was their excuse nothing for them to do and yet their neighbours (also in my class wouldn't say boo).
    I saw teachers work hard. Try various different types of behaviour management techniques. Try and do nice things that were beyond their needs and what did these people do. Throw it all back in their face. Local people also companied for facilities. We've now a youth centre, youth club, boxing club, playground, all weather pitches. Yet, anti social behaviour is still happening and all that happens now is the facilties get wrecked/stolen.
    These people have vandalised, assaulted, stolen, etc and they always try and blame somebody else.
    I do know good people come from council estates and can be raised on social welfare and they do their best to send the kiss to college and it works but in my opinion it all starts at home. The people I know who have no respect for the Gardai/other people generally get it from their parents. This is just in my experience the people who shared photos of F##k the Gardai are the people sharing videos of the water protests/Gardai. The odd person can be led away by their peers and their is hope for them if they get the support at home.
    Being perfectly honest I've no ideas what to do with these people. I've seen various approaches being used and them all failing. The only thing I didn't see being done is parents being fined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I'm in my mid twenties now and live in an average enough town. I was in school mainly during the booming Celtic Tiger days.
    My class was made up of people from surrounding country side, private and council houses. We had no boxing club, youth centre, cinema, swimming pool, playground.
    I was never in trouble with the Gardai. I don't think I ever spoke to a Garda when I was a kid outside of school organised events. The vast majority of my class was like this and also treated teachers with respect. The majority of people who got into trouble were from council estates and what was their excuse nothing for them to do and yet their neighbours (also in my class wouldn't say boo).
    I saw teachers work hard. Try various different types of behaviour management techniques. Try and do nice things that were beyond their needs and what did these people do. Throw it all back in their face. Local people also companied for facilities. We've now a youth centre, youth club, boxing club, playground, all weather pitches. Yet, anti social behaviour is still happening and all that happens now is the facilties get wrecked/stolen.
    These people have vandalised, assaulted, stolen, etc and they always try and blame somebody else.
    I do know good people come from council estates and can be raised on social welfare and they do their best to send the kiss to college and it works but in my opinion it all starts at home. The people I know who have no respect for the Gardai/other people generally get it from their parents. This is just in my experience the people who shared photos of F##k the Gardai are the people sharing videos of the water protests/Gardai. The odd person can be led away by their peers and their is hope for them if they get the support at home.
    Being perfectly honest I've no ideas what to do with these people. I've seen various approaches being used and them all failing. The only thing I didn't see being done is parents being fined.

Awwwww does the teachers pet want a gold sticker & a lollipop? :rolleyes:

This has to be the most self righteous thread on the internet today.

Awwwww does the teachers pet want a gold sticker & a lollipop? :rolleyes:

This has to be the most self righteous thread on the internet today.

What?

It's basically the norm for kids to not get in trouble with the guards. Certainly nothing more than a telling off anyways.

I'd say lots of people have next to no interaction with the guards. :confused:

They should have flipped it to make it look better.

• Advertisement

I don't know who keeps signing poppa dolla up to "defend" the kids involved here and their like.

I'd imagine they'd be looking for that defence to consist of more than suggesting that the gardaí or any other victims of violence deserve it, or if not quite that, should suck it up as their inevitable desserts in this awful society that all but demands that anyone working class or below rage against the machine.

I'd imagine that such a defence should also consist of better alternative suggestions than theoretical-driven expensive cuddles and constant insistence that any disagreement with this is tantamount to a demand for life imprisonment.

a functioning society (and we're not too bad in the greater scheme of things) can't continuously reward behaviours that are contra the health or aims of that society without eventual consequences.

there's a big place for instruction, focused educational etc resources, rehabilitation, etc, of course!

there's also a place for a good solid shtump of an honest garda with a big fcuking stick in his hand and a sure promise that the soft and easy second chance is well and good, but the third chance is something you're not going back to your mates bragging about.

They should have flipped it to make it look better.

Or else just said the cars collided slightly. "Rammed" appears to be overstating it a bit..a big bit. Maybe the Garda car even tried ramming the fleeing car? As opposed to the other way round?

Or else just said the cars collided slightly. "Rammed" appears to be overstating it a bit..a big bit. Maybe the Garda car even tried ramming the fleeing car? As opposed to the other way round?

No, it was rammed. I'm not sure if you've ever been in a car crash but it takes a big enough impact to break up the front of a car like that.

No, it was rammed. I'm not sure if you've ever been in a car crash but it takes a big enough impact to break up the front of a car like that.

I've been in quite a few as it happens. And that yoke got a car run across its front as it tried to block a car in. It didn't get rammed. It got it's bumper ripped across - hence all the lateral scraping and paint transfer. You spin it whatever way you like. I know cars and damage. I spend most of my time fixing them.

I've been in quite a few as it happens. And that yoke got a car run across its front as it tried to block a car in. It didn't get rammed. It got it's bumper ripped across - hence all the lateral scraping and paint transfer. You spin it whatever way you like. I know cars and damage. I spend most of my time fixing them.

Your actually leaping to amateur forensics to defend two little scrotes who robbed a car and were tearing around a housing estate. :pac:

If I drove into your car and caused that damage you'd say I rammed your car. I wouldn't have nudged, tapped, bumped or booped you. You'd say I rammed your car.

• Advertisement

Your actually leaping to amateur forensics to defend two little scrotes who robbed a car and were tearing around a housing estate. :pac:
    So the facts don't matter because they're "scrotes"? FFS, nobody's denying they're little ****s, but that's no 100mph smash with cars and body parts strewn in a 100 yard radius like is being made out.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So the facts don't matter because they're "scrotes"? FFS, nobody's denying they're little ****s, but that's no 100mph smash with cars and body parts strewn in a 100 yard radius like is being made out.

Which is literally the only point I'm making. "Rammed" is obviously melodramatic. But sure that's nothing new. Facts seldom need get in the way.

In your expert opinion could the damage have been caused by the car being hit head on and then again when the stolen car reversed a bit and then drove forward at an angle striking it a second time at an angle and rubbing along the front of the patrol car in an attempt to get around it?

Dan_Solo wrote: »

What "facts"? Your attempt at FBI Files there?

It was enough to injure a gardas arm and send her to the hospital. It was no fender bender.

The facts will be presented in court and they'll get off with a slap on the wrist, as per usual.

However: stolen car with two males with prior convictions/records, reported to be tearing about a housing estate, ended up colliding with a garda car. Doubt they pulled over to the side of the road. Therefore => scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It was enough to injure a gardas arm and send her to the hospital. It was no fender bender.........

no worse than this though :

http://i.imgur.com/FRUZ89f.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/offduty-garda-arrested-for-drinkdriving-after-crash-31086765.html

Sources say that to the shock of the arresting gardaí, it quickly emerged that the driver that crashed into the squad car was an officer based at a station close to the border.

The incident unfolded at around 11.20pm on Saturday when officers in a garda patrol car noticed a broken down vehicle in the hard shoulder on the N2, near Moyles, Co Monaghan.

The gardaí pulled in to assist the male driver but another vehicle ploughed into the back of their patrol car.

This caused the patrol car to 'rear end' the vehicle that had broken down and major damage was caused to both vehicles.

The driver of the third car fled the scene but was arrested by gardaí from Monaghan town a short time later for alleged drink-driving.

The lads behind this ramming are not kids. They are in their early 20's and both have had serious run ins with the police already. They are complete scum and have terrorised the ballyfermot/clondalkin area since they were kids.. One is out of prison only a few weeks...
    Not sure how much I can say on here............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As an aside, I'm always awestruck when people say that being a garda is a cushy number.

Crap pay for the first decade. Long hours. And dealing with idiots who see nothing wrong with reversing over you in a car, breaking your nose and jaw or ramming your patrol car.

"Sure they knew what they signed up for."

Fecken Gardaí. Trying to apprehend dangerous criminals before they do damage to private property or civilians. Haven't they a water meter to guard sure??!!
    I'm not sure why you quoted "Sure they knew what they signed up for." as if to dismiss the argument. It's a valid argument in a lot of cases.
    Being a gardai in hundreds of towns and villages in Ireland is a cushy number. I knew the garda in Rathmore in kerry. He said to me there's pretty much nothing to do except when travellers come to town. But who do you know said being a gardai in Ballyfermot is handy? I've never heard anyone say that.
    Every garda I know did the job because they wanted to. It's not like they were forced into it, or fell into it. It's harder to have sympathy for someone in a situation that they wanted to get into

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you quoted "Sure they knew what they signed up for." as if to dismiss the argument. It's a valid argument in a lot of cases.
    Being a gardai in hundreds of towns and villages in Ireland is a cushy number. I knew the garda in Rathmore in kerry. He said to me there's pretty much nothing to do except when travellers come to town. But who do you know said being a gardai in Ballyfermot is handy? I've never heard anyone say that.
    Every garda I know did the job because they wanted to. It's not like they were forced into it, or fell into it. It's harder to have sympathy for someone in a situation that they wanted to get into

Nurses know when they sign up they'll be dealing with human feces, drunk people vomiting in the ER and and incontinent elderly people. They still deserve some additional, well earned respect and "well done" than the average office worker.

That's just my opinion. Same goes for fire fighters, paramedics etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

These kids need more facilities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

ya nice comfy jails to keep them away from the rest of us ,

In Cherry Orchard? That's sarcasm right?

The 98fm show this morning was pretty hilarious. People ringing in defending the young lads actions.

Advertisement