Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Advice Royal Canal

Options
  • 03-09-2015 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Went fishing at lock 13 and up near Louisa bridge Leixlip yesterday and was a bit of a bad day. The last time I went out was 3 weeks ago and cought 12 decent sized Roche but yesterday I went from 6:30am- 8pm and only cought 1 tiny Roche and 1 tiny perch. There was plenty of fish in the water as I could see them but none were biting. At lock 13 bridge there was a big bunch of perch and I used a size 20 hook and a maggot and fished for about 4 hours and watched nearly everyone swim past the bait until I got a bite. Is spinning for perch a better option ? I fished for roach aswell using bread at the start but no bites then got one on the maggot. I deadbaited a makeral popped up under the bridge all day and also nothing. Does anyone have any spots or tips for me as I'm trying to find a good spot to take the little lad out for the day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Canals are tough this time of year. Lots of weed, temperatures dropping and clear water make it difficult. I used to find, for coarse fish, that april, may, june and early july were the best months. After and before that it was a lot tougher.

I have done poorly on the canal with mackerel for pike. Have don't much better on roach, smelt and pollan. I have also never done all that well around Louisa for whatever reason.

If you can see the fish in the canal they can likely see you and your line. If I go see a gin clear canal I know its going to be a tough day. Ideally you want some colour in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alanbyrne88

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Canals are tough this time of year. Lots of weed, temperatures dropping and clear water make it difficult. I used to find, for coarse fish, that april, may, june and early july were the best months. After and before that it was a lot tougher.

I have done poorly on the canal with mackerel for pike. Have don't much better on roach, smelt and pollan. I have also never done all that well around Louisa for whatever reason.

If you can see the fish in the canal they can likely see you and your line. If I go see a gin clear canal I know its going to be a tough day. Ideally you want some colour in the water.

The lat time I went and cought all the roach it was a bit weedy but when I went the other day a lad told me irishwaterways just unweeded the canal. Would that of been an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The lat time I went and cought all the roach it was a bit weedy but when I went the other day a lad told me irishwaterways just unweeded the canal. Would that of been an issue

It could be. It takes a while to settle after they cut it and it can put the fish off for a while but I would think the water clarity is a major issue. When the temperature starts to fall the colour often drops and it makes the fishing that much harder.

Advertisement