Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Academy Awards (Oscars)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see Michael Fassbender, Colin Farrell, Saoirse Ronan and Emma Donoghue are nominated in the "Best British..." categories at the London Film Critics Awards. Bit of a controversial one, especially as they have a separate category for Actor/Actress open to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I see Michael Fassbender, Colin Farrell, Saoirse Ronan and Emma Donoghue are nominated in the "Best British..." categories at the London Film Critics Awards. Bit of a controversial one, especially as they have a separate category for Actor/Actress open to all.

I believe that they have now decided to move with the post 1922 times and rename the category British and Irish. Amazing what a twitter storm can do. Equally amazing that they thought, evidently for a long time, that such an example of "claiming" people was totally okay.

Arghus wrote: »
    I believe that they have now decided to move with the post 1922 times and rename the category British and Irish. Amazing what a twitter storm can do. Equally amazing that they thought, evidently for a long time, that such an example of "claiming" people was totally okay.

They had an explanation on their website explaining why Irish people were included in the British category but it was just a load of nonsense. I'm pretty sure it's happened before too, I think the fact there was so many of them this year it really caught people's attention.

Anyway.... it's great to see them all nominated, regardless of the name :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How is the Big Short going to work as a movie I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

^ I can't believe the BAFTAs snubbed Suffragette completely. Carey Mulligan was brilliant in that. It didn't even get a look in for costume design or anything. I'm genuinely annoyed at this. Meanwhile you've got a pile of films that haven't even been released in the UK yet getting nominated multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

^ I can't believe the BAFTAs snubbed Suffragette completely. Carey Mulligan was brilliant in that. It didn't even get a look in for costume design or anything. I'm genuinely annoyed at this. Meanwhile you've got a pile of films that haven't even been released in the UK yet getting nominated multiple times.

Era these awards ceremonies are a load of old hat ,its just a back slapping effort for the studios ,its all vested interests.

Every year the list of nominees seems to be getting worse and worse with a load of Oscar bait films and the nominations largely confined to films released in the last few weeks of the year.

I've seen all of the films nominated for best Picture and best Director this year and to be honest none of them really stood out as being above average .
    Its a celebration of mediocrity .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Am I blind?

Did they snub Duke Of Burgundy??:eek::mad:

But very uninspiring list, wasn't expecting a load of obscure films whatsoever, but it just reads like a watered down globes/Oscars.

How bland

^^ I know it's a backslapping event and ultimately meaningless but you'd think the BAFTAs would backslap a few more British films/studios.

The more I think about it the more I think The Danish Girl isn't worthy of any awards. Even Vikander, who is the best thing about the film, had two more award worthy performances this year in better films.
    Completely by accident it turns out most of the films I've seen the past 12 months have female leads. The Danish Girl being the exception. I can't say for certain but I find it hard to believe Redmayne's performance was genuinely one of the best this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've resigned myself to the fact that I've hit the post on another Oscars bet this year.

Last year I placed a bet on Boyhood in June to win best pic, by December the bookies had it at about an 90%+ chance to win, and it got turned over by Birdman.

Placed a serious bet on Spotlight in July this year at massive odds, and while it's still the hot favourite now, I'm fully sure it's going to get beaten by The Big Short.
    The Big Short just has everything going for it, big ensemble cast, deals with current events, easily accessible for a wide audience but intelligent enough to not alienate "intelligent audience", some interesting quirks like breaking the 4th wall to help keep the movie artistic, and some great use of humour throughout.

Damn it anyway.

^ I put a tiny bet on Brie Larson for best actress back in July, I think. She was 33-1 at the time. Fingers crossed.

Stallone and Winslet have won at Globes in supporting categories acting

Larson and Ronan have been trading off awards the past few weeks. Larson took the globe tonight, interesting to see who gets the "big one"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Stallone and Winslet have won at Globes in supporting categories acting

Stallone wasn't too much of a shock, I could see him winning at the Oscars. but Winslet certainly was, I could see that been the hardest the call come the Oscars the best supporting actress award(Winslet was great though)

I wouldn't put too much into the Comedy/Musical awards, I don't see The Martian winning at the Oscars. J.Lawrence won't be troubling the best actress award, I think that's more of wanting her at the Golden Globes.

I think Leo and Brie Larson, unless they do something stupid are dead certs for the main lead acting awards. I'd write off those two awards right now.

I think The Revenant and Alejandro González Iñárritu, have taken the lead in the race with the wins tonight but I wouldn't put all my money quite yet on them winning everything yet, I do think The best director could be up in the air and best film. I think the fact Iñárritu won last year at the Oscars might go agaisn't him.

My Dead certs for sure right now:

Brie Larsson Best actress (she's won pretty much every award from most critic awards in the U.S.A)
    Leo di Caprio Best actor (it's was always going to be him)

^ I put a tiny bet on Brie Larson for best actress back in July, I think. She was 33-1 at the time. Fingers crossed.

She's out right favourite to win now, I actually thought best actress was going to be very close but Larson has won pretty much all critic's best actress awards.

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    She's out right favourite to win now, I actually thought best actress was going to be very close but Larson has won pretty much all critic's best actress awards.

Yeah, I checked a few weeks ago and her odds had come way in. Wish I'd put more on her now. I only out a few euro on for a bit of fun. I could have been rich!

Yeah, I checked a few weeks ago and her odds had come way in. Wish I'd put more on her now. I only out a few euro on for a bit of fun. I could have been rich!

The one and only downside about a 33/1 winner is, everyone always says "I should have put more on" trust me I have been their! :D

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The one and only downside about a 33/1 winner is, everyone always says "I should have put more on" trust me I have been their! :D

I know but.... don't laugh..... I only put €2 on it :( Even €10 would have been better!

I'm not cut out to be a professional gambler.

I know but.... don't laugh..... I only put €2 on it :( Even €10 would have been better!

I'm not cut out to be a professional gambler.

You peasant! :pac:

Only kidding:o

If you had a tenner on,their is still a chance you'd be thinking "maybe if I had 15 or 20 on":pac:

Plenty to be done with 60 quid these days if you know where to shop, and she still has to win anyhow. :)

Rjd2 wrote: »
    You peasant! :pac:

Only kidding:o

If you had a tenner on,their is still a chance you'd be thinking "maybe if I had 15 or 20 on":pac:

Plenty to be done with 60 quid these days if you know where to shop, and she still has to win anyhow. :)

True. I hedged my bets and got Ronan at 5-1 and Vikander at 20-1. As long as Blanchet doesn't pick up momentum I should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Placed a serious bet on Spotlight in July this year at massive odds, and while it's still the hot favourite now, I'm fully sure it's going to get beaten by The Big Short.
    The Big Short just has everything going for it, big ensemble cast, deals with current events, easily accessible for a wide audience but intelligent enough to not alienate "intelligent audience", some interesting quirks like breaking the 4th wall to help keep the movie artistic, and some great use of humour throughout.

Damn it anyway.

I've learned not to trust the GG as a marker for the Oscars. Last year Boyhood took top globes but got overturned by Birdman, hoping for the same this year.

I've learned not to trust the GG as a marker for the Oscars. Last year Boyhood took top globes but got overturned by Birdman, hoping for the same this year.

Well Birdman only overturned Boyhood at the Director Guild Awards, Boyhood won everything up to the Bafta's. So that was a shock to be fair but pretty much every GG winner for film and director does end up winning.

Rooney Mara was nominated for lead actress drama at GG, I thought Jennifer Jason Leigh would have won over Winslet in supporting then

Rooney Mara was nominated for lead actress drama at GG, I thought Jennifer Jason Leigh would have won over Winslet in supporting then

Vikander should have won for Ex Machina, in my opinion, but she should have been in lead for that too.

I know it's up to the actors and their "people" what categories they put themselves forward for but the GG, more than any other awards, show just how stupid and meaningless these things are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I know it's up to the actors and their "people" what categories they put themselves forward for but the GG, more than any other awards, show just how stupid and meaningless these things are.

Did anyone else realise that there are only 88 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association,the group that votes on the Golden Globes ?

The Golden Globes is a huge ceremony – presented as serious film and TV awards – that's tightly controlled by a tiny group whose credentials are often sketchy at best. The event is really a Hollywood love-in staged by star-struck fans at a dinner flowing with booze and oinking with fine food.

The star-worshipping members of the HFPA are coddled because they play a major role in helping celebrities and power players get what they really want: an Oscar nomination.

Current HFPA members include real-estate agents, car salesmen, showbiz publicists, hairdressers and even a few journalists.
    All that is required to maintain membership is permanent residence in Southern California (so much for "foreign") and a mere four published articles per year, often in obscure publications that aren't freely disclosed.

^ I knew there was a small number of them because I read about Saoirse Ronan apparently sending them all a box of Barry's teabags as a thank you for being nominated. I can only imagine what other people/networks were sending them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ I knew there was a small number of them because I read about Saoirse Ronan apparently sending them all a box of Barry's teabags as a thank you for being nominated. I can only imagine what other people/networks were sending them.

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ugh.

I'm sure there are people who do worse than that, to be fair. I'd say there's some fairly cringe-worthy examples of arse-licking in the name of winning an Oscar/Golden Globe.

I think that's lovely actually, fair play to her!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think that's lovely actually, fair play to her!

I think it was supposed to relate to the film. About homesickness and how it's a taste of home for her..... something like that. I'd assume it was either just a nice gesture on her part or it's the done thing and everyone was sending gifts. There's so much nonsense that goes on for months when you're in the running for these things it's ridiculous. I'm sure it all helps your career but it seems like so much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think it was supposed to relate to the film. About homesickness and how it's a taste of home for her..... something like that. I'd assume it was either just a nice gesture on her part or it's the done thing and everyone was sending gifts. There's so much nonsense that goes on for months when you're in the running for these things it's ridiculous. I'm sure it all helps your career but it seems like so much hassle.

Isn't it sort of common knowledge that an awful lot of schmoozing goes into winning awards? Sending gifts, bringing the right people to dinner, sucking up to people, etc. Winning purely on merit seems to be quite rare. Monique is one that I can think of off the top of my head that openly shunned the whole awards circuit and still won. When Joaquin Phoenix trashed the nonsense of the whole thing, he ended up having to apologize. I remember reading one of those Oscar secret ballot things from that year where somebody said that Phoenix went from being the front-runner in the Best Actor category to nearly losing out on a nomination purely on the basis of the comments he made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Does anyone think the fact that films are released closer to award times to boost its chances highlight something seriously dodgy.
    It might help us invent technology where we can watch old movies any time we want.
    Another cynical part of me thinks having more movies running across various award ceremonies is purely so studios can advertise "winner of xxxxx" on posters.

I think I read the first time Fassbender was nominated he refused to do the rounds and was completely out of the running from the start.

It is kind of ridiculous that you have to aim your film for October - January releases to be in the running. I know there's a lot of films released in a year but it seems quite lazy on the part of voters that they can't remember anything prior to October. I was quite surprised to see Vikander get a GG nomination for Ex Machina which I think was a May release in the US. I bet it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been in The Danish Girl too.

I think I read the first time Fassbender was nominated he refused to do the rounds and was completely out of the running from the start.

It is kind of ridiculous that you have to aim your film for October - January releases to be in the running. I know there's a lot of films released in a year but it seems quite lazy on the part of voters that they can't remember anything prior to October. I was quite surprised to see Vikander get a GG nomination for Ex Machina which I think was a May release in the US. I bet it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been in The Danish Girl too.

No I think what happened was he was upset he wasn't nommed for Shame, as he did all the rounds for the awards season. He's refused since to do it, so unless he gives a performance out of this world I doubt he ever win one.

Well Ex machina has got a ton of better reviews then Danish Girl, it's actually been in many critic's top 10. So i'm not surprised with her been nominated for that film. I actually think she has a better chance with Ex Machina then with Danish girl cause I don't see Brie Larsson been beaten for best actress.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Well Ex machina has got a ton of better reviews then Danish Girl, it's actually been in many critic's top 10. So i'm not surprised with her been nominated for that film. I actually think she has a better chance with Ex Machina then with Danish girl cause I don't see Brie Larsson been beaten for best actress.

I'd be surprised if she got nominated for Ex Machina at all by the Oscars. Pleasantly. The fact they don't have the musical/comedy category at the Oscars you may see Jennifer Lawrence take someone's spot in the actress category, possibly Rooney Mara who would then be in supporting Actress. Depends on where she put herself for consideration.

Directors Guild of America nominations George Miller, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Tom McCarthy, Adam McKay and Ridley Scott

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Directors Guild of America nominations George Miller, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Tom McCarthy, Adam McKay and Ridley Scott

Well that settles it then. Haynes/Carol is going to get screwed.

Is Weinstein behind Carol? Seems odd that it's getting nothing. Blanchet was almost favourite for thr actress awards before they started giving them out. Has she actually won any of them? Seems to he back and forth between Larson and Ronan.

Could JJ Abrams possibly sneak get in or was it released too late?

I am surprised Danny Boyle seems out

I think Alejandro G. Iñárritu and Tom McCarthy are the only 2 locks

• Advertisement

Could JJ Abrams possibly sneak get in or was it released too late?

I am surprised Danny Boyle seems out

I think Alejandro G. Iñárritu and Tom McCarthy are the only 2 locks

Star Wars would be eligible for it. Some films get in having only had a limited release so it's definitely eligible. I don't know that he'll get in for director but if they go the full 10 for Best Film it might sneak in.

Well that settles it then. Haynes/Carol is going to get screwed.

Screwed? What do you think it should garner this awards season?

A Best Director/Picture nomination at least.

A Best Director/Picture nomination at least.

Okay, I'd agree. Not sure I'd give them either award mind. But ultimately Carol isn't Academy fare. The rights and wrongs of that can be debated endlessly of course, but it is what it is. Carol strikes me as a film festival circuit darling rather than an Oscar contender.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Okay, I'd agree. Not sure I'd give them either award mind. But ultimately Carol isn't Academy fare. The rights and wrongs of that can be debated endlessly of course, but it is what it is. Carol strikes me as a film festival circuit darling rather than an Oscar contender.

I thought it was especially with Blanchett in lead role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

What time is the Oscar nom's, soon?

• Advertisement

If you count Brie Larson in Room there are a total of 9 Irish nominations this year! How cool is that.

Best Picture -

Big Short
    Bridge of Spies
    Brooklyn
    Mad Max Fury Road
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Room

Director -

Adam McKay, George Miller, Alejandro Inarritu, Lenny Abrahamson and Tom McCarthy

Best Actress -

Cate Blanchett, Brie Larson, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlotte Rampling and Saoirse Ronan

Best Actor -

Bryan Cranston, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Michael Fassbender and Eddie Redmayne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think leo may finally have his oscar this year. Only fassbender can stop him i think

Best Supporting Actress -

Jennifer Jason Leigh, Rooney Mara, Rachel McAdams, Alicia Vikander and Kate Winslet

Best Supporting Actor -

Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Mark Ruffalo, Mark Rylance and Sylvester Stallone

Irish, or Irish connected nominees.

Lenny Abrahamson - Best Director

Saoirse Ronan - Actress
    Brie Larson - Actress

Michael Fassbender - Actor

Nick Hornby - Adapted Screenplay (Brooklyn)
    Emma Donoghue - Adapted Screenplay (Room)

Room - Best Film
    Brooklyn - Best Film

Stutter - Best live action Short

• Advertisement
Advertisement