Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Academy Awards (Oscars)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Just found live coverage here

Actually it's on repeat, so anyone can catch it at anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am surprised Sorkin was snubbed

The Breakdown by film is as follows:

The Revenant - 12
    Mad Max: Fury Road - 10
    The Martian - 7
    Carol - 6
    Spotlight - 6
    Bridge of Spies - 6
    The Big Short - 5
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 5
    Room - 4
    The Danish Girl - 4
    Brooklyn - 3
    The Hateful Eight - 3
    Sicario - 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL-ish SCORE)
    “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” John Williams

Fixed the award there... :)

Full formatted list:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/647411-nominations-for-the-88th-academy-awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Dear Santy

I know we haven't always got along and there have been disappointments on both sides of our relationship. However, if you could do me this one favour I'm sure it would put us back good again. There's this kid in my class called Leo, he's an only child and a spoilt snot-nosed brat! Please don't bring him anything this year as he has loads of toys and things and doesn't deserve any more. I would like it if you could give a present to Mark Rylance as he is poor and doesn't have much stuff but if you want you to give it instead to Sylvester, although I think he's old enough to buy his own gear or even Christian even though he is not nice, then that is ok.

Yours sincerely, MM, 8 1/2.

PS. Thank you for not bringing anything to that Tarantino kid because he is not old enuff yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really didn't think Cartel Land or A War were that great at all.

Was the kid from Room ever put forward for any awards, shame he wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I wonder is Room any good ? Lenny Abrahamson's prior films have all been dreadful, IMHO

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MfMan wrote: »
    Dear Santy

I know we haven't always got along and there have been disappointments on both sides of our relationship. However, if you could do me this one favour I'm sure it would put us back good again. There's this kid in my class called Leo, he's an only child and a spoilt snot-nosed brat! Please don't bring him anything this year as he has loads of toys and things and doesn't deserve any more. I would like it if you could give a present to Mark Rylance as he is poor and doesn't have much stuff but if you want you to give it instead to Sylvester, although I think he's old enough to buy his own gear or even Christian even though he is not nice, then that is ok.

Yours sincerely, MM, 8 1/2.

PS. Thank you for not bringing anything to that Tarantino kid because he is not old enuff yet.

Although I agree with your letter, Mark, Sylvester and Christian are on a different list to Leo.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I wonder is Room any good ? Lenny Abrahamson's prior films have all been dreadful, IMHO

I've never disagreed with anything more strongly in my life but if that is genuinely your opinion you'd probably be better off saving your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Ally Dick wrote: »

I thought Room was excellent, although I have liked all of Abrahamson's work bar What Richard Did, so our tastes may differ.

Outstanding achievement to have two films produced by Irish companies amongst the Best Picture nominees this year.

The acting/screenplay nominations for Brooklyn and Room were expected, but it's wonderful that Lenny Abrahamson is nominated in the Directing category too, and well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Surprised that Going Clear wasn't nominated in documentary category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

If you count Brie Larson in Room there are a total of 9 Irish nominations this year! How cool is that.

So that's 8 then.

Ipso wrote: »
    So that's 8 then.

She's in an Irish written, produced and directed film. It counts as a success for Irish film as far as I'm concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Surprised that Going Clear wasn't nominated in documentary category.
    I think it isn't allowed because it aired on television?

Great that Lenny Abrahmson got a nod, haven't seen the movie but it'll make it easier for me to push Garage on foreigners now! :D

Bit nuts that Tom McCarthy and George Miller seem like the frontrunners for best director too (assuming Innaritu is basically excluded due to winning last year). I think Miller'll get it but let's see.

MetroUK claiming Fassbender and Ronan as British. How many times will we have to go through this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really hope george miller wins best director because he deserves it for directing that mental film. Also would love to see sly get an oscar.

A bit shocked that there was no nominations for straight outta compton.

Lady Gaga is in for best song, if she wins after getting a GG too, Beyoncé will be pissed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ricero wrote: »

The screenplay is nominated

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »

It got nominated for Best Original Screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

MetroUK claiming Fassbender and Ronan as British. How many times will we have to go through this :)
    BBC claimed Emma Donoghue too.

DeWitt wrote: »

You have to wonder that nobody at these huge new agencies pay so little attention to this stuff. I'm sure they may have no idea who Emma Donoghue is but even more reason to Google it to check!

Just heard on the Last Word an interview with Ed Guiney, that BBC Radio claimed that Emma Donoghue was British & later apologizing :rolleyes:

DeWitt wrote: »
    Just heard on the Last Word an interview with Ed Guiney, that BBC Radio claimed that Emma Donoghue was British & later apologizing :rolleyes:

Saw that on BBC News 24 earlier. Room actually has funding from Film 4 so there are some British connections to it. Not the writer though.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was the kid from Room ever put forward for any awards, shame he wasn't

He certainly, wasn't too young anyway, but he did share an award with Brie Larson

Best Screen Couple
    Room (2015)
    Shared with:
      Jacob Tremblay

Tied with Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay for 45 Years (2015).

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Room is superb and the Abrahamson nom well deserved. I'm also delighted to see Miller in there.

While far from shocked, I'm still annoyed about the Haynes snub. Carol is a fantastically well-directed film. I haven't seen The Big Short or Spotlight yet, and while I'm sure they are good films, I'm sceptical that either of them were particularly impressive in terms of directing to win out over Haynes. But we know how much the Academy loves its true stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Every year the standard of nominations seems to be getting worse and worse,its such a lazy list of nominees.
      What a really average set of films and performances .

Interesting to see the Diversity issue brought up again. It is a very white, very straight Oscars, again, but if people paid as much attention to the issue of diversity during the rest of the year, when choosing which films to see, maybe things would be different.

It's definitely an issue that needs to be fixed but getting on your high horse once a year will do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Every year the standard of nominations seems to be getting worse and worse,its such a lazy list of nominees.
      What a really average set of films and performances .

suspect that's your own recency bias. hasn't changed much at all (bar the expanded best film category)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Delighted Sly Stallone got nominated for creed. His win at the Golden globes the other night was a great moment. He seemed genuinely stunned when his name was called out and the entire room stood up to applaud him.
      That category is absolutely stacked but I hope he wins.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

tunguska wrote: »
      Delighted Sly Stallone got nominated for creed. His win at the Golden globes the other night was a great moment. He seemed genuinely stunned when his name was called out and the entire room stood up to applaud him.
      That category is absolutely stacked but I hope he wins.

I think its a pretty underwhelming group of nominations.
      They are all good actors in their own right dont get me wrong ,but the roles they played were not demanding.
      Hardy mumbled his way through The Revenant,he was really hamming it up too ,I couldnt understand half of what he was saying so bad was his accent.

Likewise Stallone in Creed,he mumbled alot of his dialogue.

Bales role in The Big Short was a pretty easy one for him considering his previous work.
      Rylance in Bridge of Spies,I dont get that nomination at all ,what a strange character ,the guy was completely emotion less ,almost robot like.

^ I think it was a much stronger year for women in film than for men. Sure there were probably a lot more male led films on offer but the ones garnering the awards attention for the women are much better than the ones for the men. Both in terms of story and actual performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Why Do We Fall

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
      Best Supporting Actress -

Jennifer Jason Leigh, Rooney Mara, Rachel McAdams, Alicia Vikander and Kate Winslet

Best Supporting Actor -

Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Mark Ruffalo, Mark Rylance and Sylvester Stallone

Seeing Hardy win would be a great moment given the troubles he went through earlier in his career. My gut tells me it won't be him though.

Stallone was also very good in Creed, and him winning would be a nice moment as well, however I'm honestly not sure if his performance is quite worthy. It was undoubtedly a great role to put Rocky in, but I didn't see anything from Stallone that blew me way.

I mean look at some of the winners in more recent memory. Bale in the Fighter. Ledger in The Dark Knight. Leto in DBC. Bardem in NCFOM. Does Stallone's performance really stand up to scrutiny in comparison? Unfortunately no is the answer for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Todd Haynes shouldve been nominated for Carol.

I've never disagreed with anything more strongly in my life but if that is genuinely your opinion you'd probably be better off saving your money.

Garage was mispelt. Should have been called Garbage. I thought What Richard Did was very slight. Didn't like Frank either. I'll approach Room with an open mind, but I am cautious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If you count Brie Larson in Room there are a total of 9 Irish nominations this year! How cool is that.

Count? As in the same way Sky counted Saoirse Ronan?

Very strong year for Irish nominations none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

No Benicio del Toro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Delighted to see Room get nominated for a few categories. Thought it was fantastic.

Arghus wrote: »
      Count? As in the same way Sky counted Saoirse Ronan?

Very strong year for Irish nominations none the less.

No, count as in she's in a film written, produced and directed by Irish people and Co funded with Irish money. It's an Irish film and her nomination is a success for Irish film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

I care more about the noms than who wins. Just receiving one can often be a career boost. The gongs frequently don't go to the deserving people/roles but to those who have "paid their dues." So just a nomination is a good foundation if they can take advantage of it.

• Advertisement

I think the kid from Room and maybe Carrell over Bale deserved a best supporting actor nomination

I saw The Big Short last night. Wasn't crazy about it. Thought Carell was the best thing about it. Bale's character was irritating, and hard to listen to thrash metal for a lot of his scenes. Pity. I thought I was getting another Wall Street but it wasn't up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Seeing Hardy win would be a great moment given the troubles he went through earlier in his career. My gut tells me it won't be him though.

Stallone was also very good in Creed, and him winning would be a nice moment as well, however I'm honestly not sure if his performance is quite worthy. It was undoubtedly a great role to put Rocky in, but I didn't see anything from Stallone that blew me way.

I mean look at some of the winners in more recent memory. Bale in the Fighter. Ledger in The Dark Knight. Leto in DBC. Bardem in NCFOM. Does Stallone's performance really stand up to scrutiny in comparison? Unfortunately no is the answer for me.

Must be thrilling though for Sly and Bale to see their names included in the same list as the 2 Mark R's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mad max has to win best special effects for the sheer lack of CGI/

dreamers75 wrote: »
      Mad max has to win best special effects for the sheer lack of CGI/

I thought the same for Ex Machina. They did great work on a fairly small budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Domhnal Gleeson man of the moment
      Films he is in have in 22 Nominations :
      Ex Machena 2
      Brooklyn 3
      Star Wars 5
      The Reverent 12

wp_rathead wrote: »
      Ex Machena 2
      Brooklyn 3
      Star Wars 5
      The Reverent 12

And Tom Hardy plus his own nomination

wp_rathead wrote: »
      Ex Machena 2
      Brooklyn 3
      Star Wars 5
      The Reverent 12

I was thinking something similar earlier. 4 out of 5 best actor nominees have worked with Domhnall Gleeson at some point. Vikander and Mc Adams too. Ronan and Abrahamson also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No, count as in she's in a film written, produced and directed by Irish people and Co funded with Irish money. It's an Irish film and her nomination is a success for Irish film.

But it's not an Irish nomination. I don't think you're actually claiming her as that right?

• Advertisement

Saw that on BBC News 24 earlier. Room actually has funding from Film 4 so there are some British connections to it. Not the writer though.

Now when you think of it, i could have sworn i saw funding from Canada for both Brooklyn+Room as well, afaik Emma Donoghue is now based there.

Also if it's got funding from Film4, it maybe on tv sooner? as i noticed Amy was on tv last week.

Although since it's only out on the 15th in cinemas, i heard Lenny say that it's now trebled the distribution after Brie's Golden Globe

Advertisement