Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Academy Awards (Oscars)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

My predictions:

Best Actor: It's Leo's year - he has it sewn up.

Best Actress: Brie Larson. I'd be happy to see Saoirse Ronan take the prize, but Larson was amazing in Room, so she would definitely be a deserving winner.

Best Supporting Actor: Stallone should win it - 40 years after Rocky and all that. I haven't seen Bridge of Spies, but Mark Rylance is the only one who could possibly cause an upset in this category.

Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander will win, although I thought both Kate Winslet and Rooney Mara did a great job in both their roles.

Best Director: Inniaritu (sp?) will probably win, although I'm still bitter about him winning over Richard Linklater last year, so I'm hoping either Tom McCarthy or Adam McKay win instead!

Best Picture: I'm torn over this one. I think The Revenant has the edge, but I preferred Room, Brooklyn, Spotlight and The Big Short over it. Out of those four, Brooklyn would be my personal favourite, but The Big Short could easily win tonight.

I'd also love to see 'Amy' win best documentary.

Chris Rock's opening monologue is going to be my most anticipated part of the night however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Saoirse Ronan on the red carpet now. She looks very elegant, bit like Cate Blanchett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think Best Director and Best Picture will go hand in hand. Innaritu and The Revenant have it, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Red Carpet is on E, I presume the show itself is only on Sky Movies, right?

iAcesHigh wrote: »

I'm watching red carpet on YouTube, not sure about the ceremony itself though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

iAcesHigh wrote: »

Yeah, you have to be a Sky Movies subscriber to watch it live, if you're inclined to stay up all night! Streaming is also an option if you know the right places...

I've booked a day off work tomorrow and will watch it first thing in the morning instead. Love my Oscar Monday mornings :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

PressRun wrote: »
    I think Best Director and Best Picture[ will go hand in hand. Innaritu and The Revenant have it, imo.
    It will be extremely disappointing if The Revenant wins Best Picture. It's a nothing film with some great scenery of mountains and rivers. It's the least entertaining, least important, and least interesting movie I've seen in years. It has no business even being nominated imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Here's a reminder on the scenes that nailed the nomination for 20 Actors:

I've only seen Brooklyn, Room, Carol, The Revenant & Mad Max last nite on tv & i gotta say i couldn't take my eyes off it, as there was so much going on & until i saw Mad Max, i thought The Revenant was better picture, but the award no doubt will go to the Revenant as it has got stunning cinematography.

But looking at the red carpet on Living, all the actors know who's fav to win & not really sticking around to talk bout their film ;)

Certainly Leo & Brie are favourites,
    Sounds like The Big Short + Spotlight are the dark horses among the fave The Revenant for Best Picture.

Kate Winslet's an outside fav among Alicia Vikander for Supp Actor
    Inniaritu is favourite for Director, is it true that he'll be the 1st to win back2back wins?

No idea who'll win btwn the lads for Supp Actor.

But good luck to the Irish contenders, as i hear The Stutterer may have a good chance?

But the thing everyone will be looking to see what Chris Rock will say inc his Blackout theme coming up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Saoirse may not win an Oscar but she looks stunning in her green dress, style winner hands down

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Saoirse may not win an Oscar but she looks stunning in her green dress, style winner hands down

Yeah, specially made for her by Calvin Klein i heard her saying!

Now on with the show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Well it didn't take him too play the race card,ugh. Going too be a long night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Canadel wrote: »
    It will be extremely disappointing if The Revenant wins Best Picture. It's a nothing film with some great scenery of mountains and rivers. It's the least entertaining, least important, and least interesting movie I've seen in years. It has no business even being nominated imo.

Interesting tidbit I read yesterday, the real guy never even had a son and wasn't out for revenge... he just wanted to get his stuff back.

Interesting choice of attire,

No doubt the oscars are getting a bashing tonite & they know it, left black & blue i'd say :rolleyes:

Can't help but thinking all this race stuff is divide and conquer. I've no doubt racism exists, but its relentless presence in the US mainstream media helps make it exist.

Anyway, on with the show...

Here's the order in the awards are given out:

& the new time they have to thank everyone 45s :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought Rock handled that really well actually. His little dig on Jada Pinkett was pretty funny.

Corholio wrote: »
    Thought Rock handled that really well actually. His little dig on Jada Pinkett was pretty funny.

Yeah, it could have gone wrong for him, as he's usually got a sharp sarcastic tongue, but kept it within a hair's breath & poor Will Smith will have to get ear plugs from Jada now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Corholio wrote: »

Explain please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Is it going to be black jokes the entire night from Rock? Boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Explain please.

He joked that Jada Pinkett boycotting the Oscars is like himself boycotting Rihanna's underwear......weren't going to be invited in the first place.

Explain please.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/704119902051835904

Btw: Anyone else think that Bond song is shiiiiittttee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Delighted for Alicia

I wonder after the 45s, would the Jaws theme be better getting them off stage, as they will thank people regardless what you see in the ticker line across the screen! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Any links via PM for the oscars for a poor man?

• Advertisement

Alicia wins supporting actress (she should have been in lead actress category for The Danish Girl)

Any links via PM for the oscars for a poor man?
    There was a link back in the last page.

Wasn't Jenny Beavan the one that stephen Fry made a comment on at the Baftas & subsequently left Twitter from trolls?

Is it going to be black jokes the entire night from Rock? Boring

"And we're black" yes is getting boring already

Wasn't Jenny Beavan the one that stephen Fry made a comment on at the Baftas & subsequently left Twitter from trolls?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Alicia wins supporting actress (she should have been in lead actress category for The Danish Girl)

Ya Kate Winslet and Rooney Mara were lead actresses too all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

He said she was dressed like a bag lady :D...he had been given the ok from her to pull that out aswell.

He said she was dressed like a bag lady :D...he had been given the ok from her to pull that out aswell.

Yeah, i'd heard they were old friends, but that didn't matter to twitter trolls, considering he was one of the first few that used it & publicised it's use.

I see Leo wasn't too happy to see that bear again so soon :D

Nice dress on Rachel, but Brie carried it off better recently :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They're really going for Will Smith and family tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

They should make a rule where 50% of all nominees actors, writers etc have to be black.

Keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Hard too believe Angela is 57. Looks amazing for her age.

lertsnim wrote: »
    They're really going for Will Smith and family tonight.

There something to be said for moaning too much, i heard recently that Patricia Arquette lost out to two jobs from her equality rant.

Funny that considering J-Law made afaik $53M & Leo made $25 :D

Looks like Mad Max all the way & just heard that Margaret Sixel - Best Editing is George Miller's wife!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mad Max again.

Would be strange if they get all but the one that is most important...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

6 Oscars so far for Mad Max fury Road even if it ends there it could end up with the most wins, although they never put it on the DVD/blu Ray covers unless it wins one of the bigger ones.

Hah, here's the 3 amigos, considering Star Wars lost out on the 5 nominations tonite

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    6 Oscars so far for Mad Max fury Road even if it ends there it could end up with the most wins, although they never put it on the DVD/blu Ray covers unless it wins one of the bigger ones.

They'd have to be quick as some of these are released tomoro in the US, but Mad Max is released in Sept there.

Mark Rylance won Best Supporting Actor. Is this an upset? I'd heard people mentioning Stallone for this one.

Mark Rylance won Best Supporting Actor. Is this an upset? I'd heard people mentioning Stallone for this one.

Mark Rylance was the favourite for a while, although i didnt see the film, but yeah, it would be a nice way to round off Rocky afaik it's almost 40 years since the 1st one.

Mark Rylance was the favourite for a while, although i didnt see the film, but yeah, it would be a nice way to round off Rocky afaik it's almost 40 years since the 1st one.

Ah, I see. Must have just been the people I hang out with that thought Stallone would win.

Well Done Amy on Best Documentary:

I'd heard that Amy's dad tweeted today still doesn't like the film, even though if it wins!

I saw Mark Rylance on stage in Twelfth Night

The Amy Winehouse film is a great documentary. I read that her mum said what was shown in the film was an accurate representation of her life, so not sure what the father's problem is really. He always struck me as someone who liked the glare of the camera when she was alive though, he always seemed to be at the forefront of everything she was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It seemed like it had been between the two of them for quite a while. I read a lot of predictions that the award was going to go to Stallone, but almost all of the same predictors expressed a wish that Rylance would win.

Happy for him. As a film, I didn't find Bridge of Spies anything too amazing, but he was the best thing about it: understated and sympathetic.

Ah, I see. Must have just been the people I hang out with that thought Stallone would win.

I betcha, Leo's thinking, ah feck no,

Well done to Benjamin Cleary for the Live Action Short film

• Advertisement

The Amy Winehouse film is a great documentary. I read that her mum said what was shown in the film was an accurate representation of her life, so not sure what the father's problem is really. He always struck me as someone who liked the glare of the camera when she was alive though, he always seemed to be at the forefront of everything she was doing.

It's actually on More4 - Fri - @10.20pm, it was on in Dec on Ch4 & more recently as well!

Advertisement