Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Academy Awards (Oscars)

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

INARRITU DOING THE CUBA GOODING!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

It's a good thing Alejandro has Domhnall in the tickertape thanks, i don't think anyone would want to hear 'Dongall' again :rolleyes:

It's a good thing Alejandro has Domhnall in the tickertape thanks, i don't think anyone would want to hear 'Dongall' again :rolleyes:
    Listened to a podcast earlier in the week where one guy kept insisting everyone else pronounce it correctly as...

Dom-nahl.

A deserving award for a deserving actor & exceptional speech.

I heard it took his Titanic co-star 6 nominations also to get her 1st Oscar :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well done Leo.

• Advertisement

& that's a wrap for another year, thought there wud be more shocks, but the only shock i got was Sam Smith got the Oscar :confused:
    good nite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I was shocked at Spotlight winning best picture to be honest I know it was predicted to be there abouts but it's an average flick by no means bad but easily one of the worst winners of best picture in the last number of years.

Woulda had maybe 4 from the other nominees ahead of it.

Leo fair play to him great speech too but it was his time as opposed to a performance that was his career best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Fairly certain The Revenant will win, I'm hoping Spotlight does (€€€), but The Big Short was probably my favourite of the lot.
    So yeah, conflict of head/money & heart.

As much as I love Sly's return to form, and it was great to see him get a Globe, I'm all for Rylance in the Best Supporting.

Haven't seen The Danish Girl but I hope Vikander wins just because Ex Machina was so good.

:)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

So, im at the spire. Where is everyone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

So, im at the spire. Where is everyone...?

It's 8pm tonight pet. your a bit early :D:D:D:D

I know its like 5:45 in the morning but I need to vent about this year's Oscars. What a joke. Mad Max winning 6 Oscars?!?!!? Lady Gaga giving an absolutely outstanding performance of an amazing song from a hard-hitting documentary (that wasn't nominated in any other category) loses out to a very generic and forgettable bond song. Chris Rock making the same lame ass joke for 4 hours straight. Ok we get it. Hollywood is racist. But according to him only against black people. and Sarah Silverman being her usual vulgar self. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let her near a stage should be fired. And lets not forget to fire the idiot who forgot to put the amazing cinematographer (and Oscar winner) Andrew Lesnie in the In Memorium montage.
    Louis CK was probably the funniest thing on stage tonight. Best speeches from Mark Rylance, Leo DiCaprio and Brie Larson IMO. Get in Spotlight, but totally gutted for Room and Brooklyn. Congrats to Benjamin Cleary and the team of Stutterer. Yay for Inside out. C3PO, R2D2 and BB8 were so cute. As was Jacob Tremblay. Also very annoyed that The Martian and Star Wars got nothing.
    Ok, rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I was shocked at Spotlight winning best picture to be honest I know it was predicted to be there abouts but it's an average flick by no means bad but easily one of the worst winners of best picture in the last number of years.

Woulda had maybe 4 from the other nominees ahead of it.

Leo fair play to him great speech too but it was his time as opposed to a performance that was his career best.

Agreed. I think Leo won a "Nobel" Oscar for his body of work rather than for Revenant.
    For what it's worth I thought Hardy outshone him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

SarahBM wrote: »
    It's 8pm tonight pet. your a bit early :D:D:D:D

I know its like 5:45 in the morning but I need to vent about this year's Oscars. What a joke. Mad Max winning 6 Oscars?!?!!? Lady Gaga giving an absolutely outstanding performance of an amazing song from a hard-hitting documentary (that wasn't nominated in any other category) loses out to a very generic and forgettable bond song. Chris Rock making the same lame ass joke for 4 hours straight. Ok we get it. Hollywood is racist. But according to him only against black people. and Sarah Silverman being her usual vulgar self. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let her near a stage should be fired. And lets not forget to fire the idiot who forgot to put the amazing cinematographer (and Oscar winner) Andrew Lesnie in the In Memorium montage.
    Louis CK was probably the funniest thing on stage tonight. Best speeches from Mark Rylance, Leo DiCaprio and Brie Larson IMO. Get in Spotlight, but totally gutted for Room and Brooklyn. Congrats to Benjamin Cleary and the team of Stutterer. Yay for Inside out. C3PO, R2D2 and BB8 were so cute. As was Jacob Tremblay. Also very annoyed that The Martian and Star Wars got nothing.
    Ok, rant over.

Can't see how you could be upset at Mad Max winning what it won? Editing, Sound, Design, Makeup & Costume, which it was clearly the best of last year in all categories! And if The Revenant wasn't winning, I would have given it Best Picture over Spotlight as well to be honest but that's probably a personal preference more than anything.

Best moment of the night for me was Ennio finally getting his award, long long long overdue and delighted they gave him the time they did, no cutting him off with the music. You could tell it meant a lot to him when he was up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Delighted spotlight won the revenant was an ok movie but was nothing special. It was an ok movie that looked spectacular but as a movie did nothing for me.

Happy for Leo but always knew he'd win for a performance I didn't like. I don't think it would get near one of his top 5 performances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Billy86 wrote: »
    Listened to a podcast earlier in the week where one guy kept insisting everyone else pronounce it correctly as...

Dom-nahl.

Cracked podcast was it? I heard that. Someone corrected them later but that Irish spelling just f*cks up Americans completely!

Personally I liked Spotlight but wouldn't have given it Best Picture.

Great to see an Irish win for Benjamin Cleary. Here's Stutterer on the RTE player for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/stutterer-30003890/10536757/

Lights On wrote: »
    Can't see how you could be upset at Mad Max winning what it won? Editing, Sound, Design, Makeup & Costume, which it was clearly the best of last year in all categories! And if The Revenant wasn't winning, I would have given it Best Picture over Spotlight as well to be honest but that's probably a personal preference more than anything.

Best moment of the night for me was Ennio finally getting his award, long long long overdue and delighted they gave him the time they did, no cutting him off with the music. You could tell it meant a lot to him when he was up there!

I was annoyed because I felt that the other films in those categories were better. Anyway, the Academy didn't agree.

Was this you Second Toughest??? http://www.her.ie/life/just-one-man-from-a-facebook-fanpage-turned-up-to-celebrate-leos-win-at-the-spire-this-morning/280718

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emm.Murphy

I was hoping for the 'Song of the Sea'...

PressRun wrote: »
    The Amy Winehouse film is a great documentary. I read that her mum said what was shown in the film was an accurate representation of her life, so not sure what the father's problem is really. He always struck me as someone who liked the glare of the camera when she was alive though, he always seemed to be at the forefront of everything she was doing.

I think i heard toward the end it portrayed Mitch as not caring for his daughter knowing she was ill & still put her through a tough workload, & word is he may come out with his version?

I had Big Short & Spotlight for dark horses, as you don't really know which way the Oscars are gonna go, esp The Hurt Locker won over Avatar afaik it was the Ex-wife Bigelow won v James Cameron :P
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Cracked podcast was it? I heard that. Someone corrected them later but that Irish spelling just f*cks up Americans completely!

I think some names in America actually get changed for handiness like Niamh becomes Neve, Caitlin -Katelyn etc as i know Siobhan & Gearoid causes all kinds of trouble, only Corden got it right when he had Domhnall & Saoirse on recently.

Personally I liked Spotlight but wouldn't have given it Best Picture.

Great to see an Irish win for Benjamin Cleary. Here's Stutterer on the RTE player for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/stutterer-30003890/10536757/

Thanks, i see they have Also available on the player is the 'Awards Season Collection' featuring interviews from the nominees

I caught it by accident, as it was on after the LLS last Fri, liked it a lot inc Louis CK's thoughts on it were hilarious :P

I was annoyed because I felt that the other films in those categories were better. Anyway, the Academy didn't agree.

Was this you Second Toughest??? http://www.her.ie/life/just-one-man-from-a-facebook-fanpage-turned-up-to-celebrate-leos-win-at-the-spire-this-morning/280718

I thought this was hilarious from Naas Gardai District Issue, Hilarious Warning To Single Men Everywhere Today, I heard online also a tweet that a woman would propose to her boyfriend if Leo won!

I wonder if some people thought they were safe also by saying same thing on Sam Smyth if he won :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

not me, no. And I didn't see him there either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Did anyone notice in Sam Smith's acceptance speech for the best song that he said that he's the first openly gay person to win an Oscar? That's just completely untrue.

Did anyone notice in Sam Smith's acceptance speech for the best song that he said that he's the first openly gay person to win an Oscar? That's just completely untrue.

Well to be fair, he did say he wasn't sure if it was true or not.

• Advertisement

I think i heard toward the end it portrayed Mitch as not caring for his daughter knowing she was ill & still put her through a tough workload, & word is he may come out with his version?

To be fair, he did show up to St Lucia with a film crew when she was trying to recover from her problems. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

I also don't think the film actually blames any one person for her death, so much as it portrays the numerous missed chances for saving her life. She had problems with mental illness and eating disorders from quite a young age and there seemed to be several people in her life who didn't take her problems seriously enough and put her career before her health, not just her father. It ended up that she was crying out for help, but nobody was really listening, not her family, her boyfriend, her friends, or her manager.

It's probably worth mentioning too that there's no narration in the film, it's all Amy's words and the words of those closest to her. It's not like words were being put in anyone's mouth and I don't think anyone else who was close to her believes the film to be inaccurate. The fact that her father is getting so upset about it just makes me think that it probably hit on an uncomfortable truth for him. It's understandable to a degree. It can't be easy for someone to accept the reality that they might have done things that weren't in their deceased child's best interests.

Well to be fair, he did say he wasn't sure if it was true or not.

Not sure why you'd bother saying it if you hadn't done your research. He misread the Ian McKellan quote in the first instance, but I mean, Elton John has won an Oscar, which I would have thought someone like Sam Smith would be aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leo got more than 45 seconds for his winning speech :p and a standing ovation

Sly's face at not winning was priceless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not sure why you'd bother saying it if you hadn't done your research. He misread the Ian McKellan quote in the first instance, but I mean, Elton John has won an Oscar, which I would have thought someone like Sam Smith would be aware of.

Smith comes across as clueless and uninformed about most things. This is the same Sam Smith who didn't know who Thom Yorke/Radiohead was and that they had recorded an alternate Spectre song. He had also never heard of Tom Petty or the song "Don't Back Down", even after he was he ordered to pay Petty royalties for ripping him off.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Leo got more than 45 seconds for his winning speech :p and a standing ovation

Sly's face at not winning was priceless

I think Sly only has one look :D
    But yeah i think he got longer than Alejandro, considering he's the only Director to get back2back afaik 66 years?
    Smith comes across as clueless and uninformed about most things. This is the same Sam Smith who didn't know who Thom Yorke/Radiohead was and that they had recorded an alternate Spectre song. He had also never heard of Tom Petty or the song "Don't Back Down", even after he was he ordered to pay Petty royalties for ripping him off.

Thankfully his song was cut out, although to be fair none were shown in the highlights tonite.

During the show commercials, no-one thought Sam Smyth would win it, as the song doesn't work by itself, as it's just him screeching at a tired pitch :(
    It's no wonder his twitter account is called Samsworld :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Here's Stutterer on the RTE player for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Up on YouTube if RTÉ Player doesn't work (which it often doesn't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Chris Rock was atrocious - same joke over and over and over.

Whole opening monologue was about racism.

All his inbetween jokes were about racism.

The sketches on the big screen were about racism.

His closing joke was about racism.

It was funny a couple of times but talk about beating people over the head with it.

I thought Whoopi and Spike Lee were both vocal about boycotting but Spike did receive a honorary Oscar this year :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Up on YouTube if RTÉ Player doesn't work (which it often doesn't)

Eh..... that's been reedited to change the ending.

• Advertisement

Thankfully his song was cut out, although to be fair none were shown in the highlights tonite.

During the show commercials, no-one thought Sam Smyth would win it, as the song doesn't work by itself, as it's just him screeching at a tired pitch :(
    It's no wonder his twitter account is called Samsworld :rolleyes:

Lady Gaga Should have won. Til It Happens To You is absolutely powerful, and the film it is from The Hunting Ground should have been nominated too. Her performance was brilliant. I nearly cried and I wouldn't be one of these people that cries at songs. I didn't like the bond song at all. In fact that opening sequence in Spectre was my least favourite bond opener ever. I hated it.
    But like you said, that song cannot stand up by itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Chris Rock was atrocious - same joke over and over and over.

Whole opening monologue was about racism.

All his inbetween jokes were about racism.

The sketches on the big screen were about racism.

His closing joke was about racism.

It was funny a couple of times but talk about beating people over the head with it.

I thought Chris Rock's opening monologue was hilarious, poking fun at this perceived racism ....... until the end when he ruined it by trying to be all serious.

I found the sketches amusing too, until they went a bit too OTT.

What I found real cringey was the disproportionate amount of Black presenters and how often the camera's showed a "Black face" in the audience ....... it was like the Academy was screaming "we're not racist, really, we're not, look, see, we really aren't racist" ......... the "scandal" wasn't about racism, it was about Jada Smith throwing her toys out of her pram because her dearly beloved wasn't nominated and nothing more ........ the Academy should have ignored the whole "issue" in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

https://vine.co/v/igWT9HBUnXp

lol the sulk on Inarritu, **** him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

^Who is she?

And more importantly, why isn't she wearing a lovely dress like the other ladies?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Canadel wrote: »
    ^Who is she?

And more importantly, why isn't she wearing a lovely dress like the other ladies?

Jenny Beavan - winner of Best Costume Design (for Mad Max). The woman that Stephen Fry called a bag lady at the Baftas. I guess she didn't want to wear a lovely dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Lady Gaga Should have won. Til It Happens To You is absolutely powerful, and the film it is from The Hunting Ground should have been nominated too. Her performance was brilliant. I nearly cried and I wouldn't be one of these people that cries at songs. I didn't like the bond song at all. In fact that opening sequence in Spectre was my least favourite bond opener ever. I hated it.
    But like you said, that song cannot stand up by itself.

Agee 100% was it just a lot of lobbying by the Bond Franchise

It's a dreadful doing - especially compared with Skyfall

• Advertisement

Canadel wrote: »
    ^Who is she?

She was possibly the most deserving winner of the entire night and what she was wearing made sense because of what she win for (Mad Max costume design). And why should she have to wear a "lovely dress"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I guess she didn't want to wear a lovely dress.
    And why should she have to wear a "lovely dress"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Note: I wasn't making any smart comment. I just really think that she didn't want to. She said it herself: "I just like feeling comfortable, and I’m sorry." Fair play to her though I'm disappointed because I'm sure that she'd have worn something fab! :-)

Edit: Jenny's own words. Her outfit was an homage to Mad Max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Bah, she's dressed perfectly considering the film she's going in for.

Innaritu just seems like the arsehole he always comes across as, the Revenant was nominated in that category so he was probably more in a huff about that, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

e_e wrote: »
    https://vine.co/v/igWT9HBUnXp

lol the sulk on Inarritu, **** him.

You're basing that on a very short clip and I don't think it tells the full story.
    There's a longer clip going around where you clearly see that Iñárritu does clap once she gets to the stage.
    http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/alejandro-g-inarritu-claps-mad-max-costumes/#5gRrVGVyPPqM

If anything I'd say that he's just bored senseless at that stage of the proceedings. The ceremony ran for nearly 4 hours, and that doesn't include all the red carpet nonsense that they have to endure. I'd say he just wanted to be done with the thing at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

You're basing that on a very short clip and I don't think it tells the full story.
    There's a longer clip going around where you clearly see that Iñárritu does clap once she gets to the stage.
    http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/alejandro-g-inarritu-claps-mad-max-costumes/#5gRrVGVyPPqM

If anything I'd say that he's just bored senseless at that stage of the proceedings. The ceremony ran for nearly 4 hours, and that doesn't include all the red carpet nonsense that they have to endure. I'd say he just wanted to be done with the thing at that point.
    As I said there, it's an award that his film was nominated for and realistically had a strong chance of winning, if he wasn't paying attention at that point it's even worse as it shows a disregard to his own crew.

Pretty easy to work out the chain of events:
    1. Fury Road wins
    2. Some people go to applaud, more people are confused as to why some woman in a leather jacket is walking down the aisle
    3. Some losers (including the Revenant) without the applause of everyone around them, aren't given the social cue to fake enthusiasm

As someone who typically doesn't remember to applaud anything in one of those situations until everyone around me is, I can very much empathise with his switched off face but there's no way he wasn't paying attention at that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Can anyone explain to me why The Dressmaker got no nominations?
    I thought it was one of the better films of 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

snubbleste wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why The Dressmaker got no nominations?
    I thought it was one of the better films of 2015
    Hasn't been released in America, yet.

I'm clueless why Stacey Dash came out on stage at the start

mansize wrote: »
    Agee 100% was it just a lot of lobbying by the Bond Franchise

It's a dreadful doing - especially compared with Skyfall

You wait for one oscar in the 50 years of Bond & 2 come along then,
    But i see someone gives Sam Smith a history lesson
    She was possibly the most deserving winner of the entire night and what she was wearing made sense because of what she win for (Mad Max costume design). And why should she have to wear a "lovely dress"?

To be fair, they all have 'lovely dresses' ;)

Advertisement