Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

May 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Thanks Lucuma, her waters broke yesterday morning about 4.45, while I was in work que a mad dash home, we were in the hospital about an hour later and assessed in emergency room. The Dr on duty hooked up the monitors to listen to bump and all was well. She was goin to send us home but had another look at my wifes chat and decided to keep her in as she wasn't feeling any contractions and due to past history. The Dr done a check this morning at about 5 and decided to induce her with a pessary. She's starting to feel slight contractions now so hopefully that's the start of the labour. They did say that the head is still a little high and that's why the waters are still coming, 32 hours later! She has gone through 2 full packets of maternity pads so far and I'm on standby to run to boots to restock on them. Hopefully by this time tomorrow we'll have our little man with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Sounds like ye will be meeting your little baby very soon gumbo!
    Don't know what neck of the woods you're in but I noticed in CUMH the shop sold green maternity pads so might be worth checking the hospital shop before you leave the hospital grounds!

She's onto second stage of the induction, the oxytocin drip and had the epidural put in at about 8 so that's working well.
    We are in the rotunda so boots isn't really to far to dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

gumbo1 wrote: »
    She's onto second stage of the induction, the oxytocin drip and had the epidural put in at about 8 so that's working well.
    We are in the rotunda so boots isn't really to far to dash.

Best of luck Gumbo. Sounds like things are progressing. I'm in the Rotunda also (well attending but no sign of baby yet). The chemist on Parnell St beside the centra has the green pads. Got them there Tuesday. A closer trip if you need to run out :) It's a handy hospital for shops close by. Looks like I'll just miss you guys as not due till next week. Best of luck!

5.42am the little man made an appearance weighing at 8lb 7.5oz. Unfortunately the birthing plan went out the window when she had to be induced. She took the epidural at about 6pm yesterday evening. She got to 9cm but didn't advance any further and at around 4am today her temperature spiked so the midwives and her decided that a section was the best way forward. Both mammy and baby are doing fine although fairly tired.

To say that we are both ecstatic is an understatement in the least. Both will be kept in till Tuesday at the earliest but that's not an issue at all. Really looking forward to having them both home and comfortable.

Congratulations Gumbo to you and your wife! Great that baby arrived safely in the end. That must have been frustrating to get to 9cm and then no further, So close!

Lucuma wrote: »
    Congratulations Gumbo to you and your wife! Great that baby arrived safely in the end. That must have been frustrating to get to 9cm and then no further, So close!

Thanks Lucuma, delighted that all went well in the end an that we have a beautiful baby boy. It did hit her hard, see cried when they were wheeling down to theatre which upset me then a little but all well that ends well!
    I hope you and your new bundle are settling in nicely. I wish everyone still expecting all the best, I will be keeping up with the thread and rooting for ye!

Huge congrats to you and your partner Gumbo. Sorry things didn't go according to plan but at least your little guy is here safe and sound. Hopefully we will be joining you guys in the coming week or two...

Ha we better be!!!

Had a crappy evening here. Passed a few huge clots; won't be in the better of the experience for a while! :-( .maternity a&e said not to come in as they weren't the size of a large orange (size of a mandarin apparently not a cause for concern!) they said see if bleeding gets heavy or I start to feel unwell. Really hope it doesn't continue tomorrow, there are some things the newborn snuggles just don't compensate for! :-o
    Teggars was your section booked for this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Had a crappy evening here. Passed a few huge clots; won't be in the better of the experience for a while! :-( .maternity a&e said not to come in as they weren't the size of a large orange (size of a mandarin apparently not a cause for concern!) they said see if bleeding gets heavy or I start to feel unwell. Really hope it doesn't continue tomorrow, there are some things the newborn snuggles just don't compensate for! :-o
    Teggars was your section booked for this week?

Oh that sounds awful I'm really sorry.

• Advertisement

I thought my water broke Thursday evening I had a dash of fluid come away from me. I didn't really think anymore of it until I started to get itchy and smelly the next day. They asked me to come in and gave me an internal swab,but the doctor could tell I had thrush before sending the swap away anyway. Fluid and waters are fine. The swab I got was so uncomfortable I was very upset afterwards ,couldn't stop crying. I know it's a stupid thing to be getting upset over but I found it unbearable and I was thinking how am I going to do this Labour. I feel like running away!

I know I sound like a big baby but I'm a very anxious and nervous person and that just tipped me over the edge. I'm feeling very sorry for myself and have cried nearly every day this week. It's prob hormones,just hope that I'm not like this after the baby .

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Introducing baby Danny who arrived last Thursday night a few days ahead of scheduled section. All well with us both thank God and should be going home tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Congrats Teggers he is gorgeous! Hope all went well for you? Did you still have the section? Hope you and Danny are doing well.

Congrats Gumbo, glad to hear baby arrived safely, sorry to hear it didn't go to plan main thing is mum and baby are safe. Hope all is going well.

Lucuma you poor thing that sounds awful and so painful, did they give you any advice? Is there anything a gp might be able to do for you? Hopefully you don't get any more. Must be pretty scary. Mind yourself.

JA hope your doing ok, sounds like you've had a tough few days hope you are getting to take it easy.

Kathy how are you doing? When's you due date?

No action here due date was the 7th, hadn't expected to make it that far so at a bit of a loss as to what to do with myself now! Am resting but I'm not used to sitting around with no plans! Had a midwife check up on sat, baby engaged and heartbeat is good so just a waiting game!

Hope everyone is doing ok x

Teggars congratulations! He is perfect! :-)

So was it a vaginal labour then? I hope it was a bit easier 2nd time around and less dramatic x

Ja that swab sounds uncomfortable. It's perfectly understandable that you're feeling very emotional and nervous. There's no easy way to have a baby unfortunately, if only the stork brought them hah! ;-) But you're almost at the finish line now.....and with a scheduled section there shouldn't be many internal examinations I'd imagine? It's the medics job to get your baby out safely and take care of you so put your faith in them, we have no other choice! This whole having babies thing is a messy & difficult business but we still put ourselves through it. .....coz the rewards are worth it as you know from your 1st child, we wouldn't have gone again otherwise!

Wuffly enjoy the break!!! Get as much sleep & rest as you can. Great that baby is engaged.

Feeling better today. No more clots last night or this morning so far. Wuffly very large clots a few weeks in can mean there was a bit of placenta or membranes left inside that's what the PHN told me when she visited. If that were the case I spose I'd have to get a D+C. My sis said if I do it's a quick procedure anyway, in and out no overnight. It was the actual passing of the clots that made me feel queasy......defo not for the squeamish type!!
      don't know what's up with my digestive system either... GP told me to take 1 or 2 sachets of the prescription laxative depending. I started
    off on 1, but despite eating all round me I could go nearly 2 days without a bowel movement-bizarre. I upped it to 2 sachets as of yesterday but still don't notice a change. Oh what these babies do to our bodies!
    Baby herself doing fine here though. Jitters have stopped and she's soaking through entire outfits with wet nappies so looks like she's getting plenty milk. I find it hars to get a burp out of her though. ...quite frustrating at times. Can't wait for the feeding to settle down. Just getting through 1 day at a time here and there is milk and spew everywhere!

Lucuma sounds very uncomfortable, I would not have a tough stomach for stuff like that. Hopefully they stay at bay and you heal up OK. Glad to hear your little girl is doing well. Indeed babies are hard work!

Teggers, wow what a cute little guy and love the name. He is adorable, how did everything go for you? How are you finding things now?

Wuffly I am due on Sunday the 15th, literally cannot come soon enough although I have a feeling this little person will hang on in there for a while longer. What is the plan for you? Will you need an induction in the coming week if it doesn't happen itself? My doc lets you go to 10 days. The thoughts of 10 more days after the due date is horrible :(

Ja that sounds pretty horrible, hopefully it clears up soon and you feel a little better. I think towards the end emotions go a bit all over the place with all the hormones. Look after yourself.

Have a checkup tomorrow and will find out if baby has engaged or if they are in anyway shape or form ready to arrive. I really hope so. Have horrible hip pain the last few days only on my left side which is making walking really uncomfortable which is driving me mad as I really want to just get out and about as normal and get some good walks in. I am literally hobbling around. I doubt there is much I can do at this stage as it is so close to the end.

That's a pity you're not enjoying your mat leave Kathy after counting down to it for so long! I did something similar to my hip when pregnant on no.1, it happened when I borrowed my husband's bicycle & was trying to swing my leg over the bar in the middle. The physio on the maternity ward came & looked at me after I had baby & she said it was out of alignment, must have been like that for months oops! She put it back in place anyway. I'd say a woman's health physio would sort you out if you have time to go while waiting around this week.
    Well the 2 weeks of my husband being off work & being with me 24/7 comes to an end today :-( :-( so sad that it's over, it flew! Although he & I didn't get on that great (I think having the 2nd child creates
    alot of stress & tension) I have to say it was so lovely & special for he, me and our 1 year old to spend 2 full weeks together where neither of us was working & we were both with her all day every day. When will that ever happen again! (Our holidays are always with his family). I just thought it was lovely for her & although it was challenging (just like having her with me fulltime while waiting for baby to arrive) it was so rewarding & really good for her I think.
    I dropped them to airport today. Me and bubs here in Ire for another 4 weeks. I'll see them some weekends (not this one coming though) I was very sad saying goodbye! My daughter had been asleep in car & Ilifted her into buggy she woke up & was like a briar, I went to give her kiss & hug and she hit me in the face with both hands then kicked me straight in the boobs. Owwwww! (They are extremely sensitive at the mo) oh well it'll help me to miss her a little bit less I suppose ;-)
    Hubby said to me this morning 'ok we have 2 babies, 1 nappy bag, 2 different countries what are we going to do??' Mad the things you don't think of! I decided to let him have it as the 1yo needs drinks, bibs, snacks, books, soother etc whereas all I need is 2 size 1 nappies & wipes.....The advantage of breastfeeding :-) so I'm nappy-bag-less yikes!
    Kathy how did check up go, what's the lie of the land?
    2 week check up with GP now tomorrow. ...dying to know is baby back to her birth weight. Fingers crossed, would be great to get the pat on the back & know I'm doing it right

Ah I am enjoying being off work I'm just not sleeping great and a bit tired and cranky. I said it to my doctor yesterday about my hip and he said it will go away once baby arrives. I like to be busy and keep moving so I am finding it is holding me back a bit, maybe its my bodies way of telling me to slow down. I definitely won't be indulging in long walks like I thought.

Well baby still has a bit to travel down so consultant reckons there will be no baby for another week or more. Back in again next Tuesday to see if they have made any progress on the decent :pac: I was really disappointed and for some reason ended up crying as we left the hospital. I really should not have had my heart set on my due date.

Lucuma sorry to hear your hubby has gone back home. Must be hard to say good bye to him and your daughter. Hopefully though you get some support from your mum with her busy schedule over the next 4 weeks. Best of luck at the appointment today, hopefully it goes according to plan.

Wuffly & Ja how you guys getting on? Looks like its just us left waiting. Wuffly you must be next as your due date is a week before mine.

Hello girls I'm a lot more calmer than the other day that's for sure. Nerves got the better of me. Iv just been bumped up on the list so they want me in on friday. Dunno how I feel about Friday 13th! So anyway baby please God will be here Friday so just gonna cuddle my toddler for her last two days of being an only child! I'm oddly calm about everything which is worrying me !

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hello girls I'm a lot more calmer than the other day that's for sure. Nerves got the better of me. Iv just been bumped up on the list so they want me in on friday. Dunno how I feel about Friday 13th! So anyway baby please God will be here Friday so just gonna cuddle my toddler for her last two days of being an only child! I'm oddly calm about everything which is worrying me !

Best of luck today Ja. Not long till you meet your little one. :) Still zero sign of movement here. Wish I could send a memo out to all my friends and family!

• Advertisement

Good afternoon everyone. My little girl came into the world at 10.40 am this morning,screaming! She looks the complete opposite of my toddler,with regards to skin shade and hair! Mad! She is 6.8 oz and loves my boobies,she's feeding very well.

I had to get another spinal block as the first woulnt work and now I'm in so much agony. Really regret opting for section,but its done now!

Good luck to whoever's next xxx

Congratulations ja1986! Great news. Hope you get some rest tonight xx

2wks 3 days here. Healing up a bit physically thank god. Bleeding has really lightened already. My stitch came away (they're dissolvable). Wound seems fine. Bowels getting back to normal. No more nasty clots. Boobs are grand as well- no bleeding & no skin coming off or anything like that. I use a shield 2-3 times a day just to give them a break. Letting plenty air at them at night & rubbing the breast milk into the nipple. Also using Lansinoh & multi mam .
    Think baby might be getting night & day mixed up-oh no! she sleeps most of the day and very unsettled at night. One tired Mama here. The first 6 weeks are so bloody hard!
    Kathy it's so annoying when ppl keep asking 'any news'. Don't worry by time you get to your 2nd no-one cares! :-)
    My sister always tells ppl the wrong due date so ppl won't be asking!

Try making circles on the ball to open up your pelvis and encourage baby's head to go down & engage. It'll be good to take the pressure off your sore hip too. Hope they move down!

Huge congrats Ja. Hope you guys are both doing well.

Lucuma sounds like you are on the mend. How are you finding it since your husband went back?

I am using the ball a few times a day which will hopefully help. Don't feel like they have dropped fully yet. Got in a bit of a nesting mode today. Sorted out a few bits for the house and garden. My husband is currently planting the flowers as i sit in the sun. Love the weather. I am surprisingly relaxed. Also on the raspberry leaf tea. Ya never know! Hopefully this little one arrives next week!

Hi ladies.. the last few days have just passed by in a blur. I'd forgotten how time consuming newborns are. But I'm loving every second of it!
    He's now 9 days old and it feels like he's been always here. We are blessed with him. So so quiet, just hope it lasts!
    I breastfed him for the first 4 days and he fed constantly! My nipples got so sore I had to stop. Turns out he's tongue tied and wasn't latching on properly. I'm disappointed I couldn't continue feeding him myself but I'm glad he at least got the colostrum. He's flying it now on the bottles and has only woke once during the night for a feed the last couple of nights.

Kathy , I hope baby won't keep you waiting too much longer!
    Congratulations Ja on the new arrival!
    Lucuma, glad to hear you're healing well
    Hope baby figures out day/night soon!

Wuffly we haven't heard from you in a while - I assume baby arrived ??

Teggars can't believe you're enjoying every minute but fair play to ya! I hate the newborn phase, if only there was a fast forward button.

Kathy since my husband left I do miss having someone to hold baby in the morning so I can escape to the loo/have breakfast. I get stuck in bed with her til 10 or 11 most mornings as she cluster feeds in the mornings. She is so caught up with wind it's unreal, so if he was here I'd defo wake him up in the middle of the night and ask him to try and wind her. At the moment I have to do it myself and it can take 20 minutes plus to get a burp or a fart out of her and she's sooo agitated til I do. So next time he's around he's on night time winding (and nappy changing) duty for sure! I hate the way you have to change newborn's nappies in teh middle of the night, last thing you feel like doing getting out of bed and over to changing table etc. At least the feeding and burping etc can all be done from lying down position so you can be semi-comotose doing it.

My mother walked around with her alright this morning so I could have my breakfast. Yesterday she was away at a talk on Patrick Kavanagh in the afternoon and then went to see her other grand-daughters in ballet yesterday evening. Tomorrow she's away all day in Dublin going to see a Da Vinci exhibition in the National gallery......she has actually seen it before and wasn't impressed but her friend convinced her to go again (....I mean it's not like she has a daughter at home on her own with a newborn that needs help like!) I must have looked bad this morning coz she offered to skip the 1916 rising commemeration she's at this afternoon to stay home and help me, I told her to go on!

Her not being around just means I have to leave the baby cry while I have a shower or get dressed etc. I'll be in the same boat once I go back to Europe in fairness....my husband will be gone to work in the morning. I'd never be up for a shower with this one before 10 or 11 coz of the morning cluster feeding.

The night/day thing is quite bad actually.......she slept for hours yesterday during the day and had an unsettled night as usual. I might have to employ the services of a sleep specialist or something to try and fix it. I dont' know if such a thing exists in Cork.

Hi ladies, haven't been able to get on an post the last few days keep get stuck on those captcha thingys!

Congrats JA, hope alls going well for you and your little one.

I'm 8 days over due now, feeling a bit worn down, its a bit draining waiting around everyday, not planning much thinking everyday will be the day and everyone else is working! or getting to grips with a new born. I have had some lovely time with OH but very ready to get this little one out. Met the back up Dr yesterday and had a scan baby is grand, tried for a sweep but cervix isn't even open so he couldn't do anything. I wasn't expecting it to be gentle but it was a bit rough :eek: My own dr is back tomorrow so seeing her in the morning, hoping that there is some movement in my cervix so she can try a sweep, other than that i think I am looking at an induction in a day or so. Hopefully the pessary will do as if i need the drip it will nix me trying for a water birth. Short of eating a pineapple curry while having sex in a hot bath I'm not sure what i can else I can do coax baby out! Of all the the things i considered going this far over wasn't one of them!

Taggers glad all is going well for you! it is a pity about the bf but at least you can share the feeding if he is on formula and great that he got the colostrum
    Lucuma, i hope you get the sleep pattern sorted, would your doula be able to recommend someone to help? Glad to hear you are healing up ok, I have a small tear after the attempted sweep yesterday so I'm thinking i'll be in shreds after the baby. Your Mam has a mighty social life...! would you prefer she was around more? I don't know whether my Mam will drive me nuts or be a god send!
    Hope you are doing ok Kathy, hopefully not too long for you to wait. Sitting out in the garden sounds lovely. Its gotten absolutely stinking hot here in the last 2 weeks, fecking 40's can't wait to get home even if its raining at least you can breath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Teggers did they tell you tongue tie can be fixed and bf can continue?

Lucuma,the newborn stage is my favourite. I love every part of it! I'm absolutely shattered but walking on air at the same time.

Hope your day comes soon Wuffly!

Spottybananas it wasn't noticed in the hospital, it was the public health nurse that spotted it.
    She said if we wanted it fixed we would have to go private. The HSE no longer to do as they now consider it a cosmetic problem. I think my husband is secretly glad baby is being bottle fed now as he gets more snuggle time with him.

Ah Wuffly I was sure your radio silence meant you had that baby popped out & all! Not long now.....you'll be up to your eyes in spew & nappies before you know it :-)
    Hopefully the pessary gel will work for you. That's all my sis needed to get going on her 1st. They gave a pessary, then 12 hrs later another one. Then she fought with the medics for a day to not break her waters (!) and lo & behold she went herself and had natural birth with no epidural. So if gel alone works happy days. Gosh that atrempted sweep sounds rough if you have a small tear, just as well it's your normal Dr attempting the next one.
    Kathy is a sweep an option for you ?

Teggars aww I would love to share that enthusiasm for the little bundles of "joy" (whoever came up with that description had a sense of humour!!) So when people say to you 'enjoy every minute' it actually makes sense in your case :-) for me the first 6 weeks are only about survival.

Wuffly actually my doula is due to call & I must organise a day & time. Good point she might have a few tips for me! My friend visited yesterday & I was telling her baby won't sleep on her back plus baby is confusing day & night (she goes for massive sleeps during the day). She suggested every time she falls asleep during day put her down on her back.
    Tried it yesterday. It worked. Each time she woke up within 15-20 mins coz she doesn't like being on her back. So that meant she went for no big long sleep yesterday and she slept sounder last night. I think I got a 4-5 hour block of sleep!!! and then another snooze this morn. Then she started her usual fussing & grunting so twas time to call it a night and get up! I've yet to go for a walk since I had the baby as I haven't been getting enuf sleep to have the energy for a walk. Today is probably the 1st time I could maybe consider it.
    Wuffly Mam askes if I wanted her to stay around today and I said yes, now I feel guilty that she's missing her day with her friends, can't win! I do like having her around she's very laid back and unobtrusive. We get on well.
    Ladies I recommend this app for pelvic floor exercises! This is the link for Android:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jsdev.pfei
    And for other phones the app is called:
    PFEI

Well I'm home now with bleeding nipples dreading the next feed !!

Oh no ja you poor thing. Have you tried nipple shields? There are different brands, I'm using Avent ones every couple of feeds to give my nipples a break.
    Leave your nipples out in the air whenever possible & rub breastmilk into them- do you know how to hand express? (Make a C shape around the outside of the areola with finger & thumb. Using forefinger & thumb compress in a steady rhythm without sliding & then release. Milk may take a few minutes then drops should appear)
    I had one nipple draw blood in hospital all right but I managed to head it off at the pass& no bleeding since. Hope it's a temporary problem. What did they say about baby's latch in the hospital?

• Advertisement

Oh no ja you poor thing. Have you tried nipple shields? There are different brands, I'm using Avent ones every couple of feeds to give my nipples a break.
    Leave your nipples out in the air whenever possible & rub breastmilk into them- do you know how to hand express? (Make a C shape around the outside of the areola with finger & thumb. Using forefinger & thumb compress in a steady rhythm without sliding & then release. Milk may take a few minutes then drops should appear)
    I had one nipple draw blood in hospital all right but I managed to head it off at the pass& no bleeding since. Hope it's a temporary problem. What did they say about baby's latch in the hospital?

I have shields but they advised not to use them unless absolutely necessary and I'm not sure if I'm producing milk yet? She's only 3 days old would it be in now? It's so sore I got the cream but don't know if its making any difference. The whole feeding is actually sore I'm just putting up with it. They said at the hospital She's a good feeder and her latch is good. They showed me a few times how to attach but I'm not getting it at all. It's my technique that's wrong as she's sucking on the nipple and not the area around it.

I have the public health nurse tomorrow so gonna ask again .I really don't want to stop .

ja1986 wrote: »
    Well I'm home now with bleeding nipples dreading the next feed !!

Oh ja1986 I feel your pain. :(
    I was like that the day I left hospital too. They were so painful I was dreading the next feed so I sent my husband to get formula. I honestly couldn't handle the pain. My nipples hurt a hundred times worse than my section wound.
    Hope it works out for you!

Ja although I know the arguments for not using nipple shields if it's a case of giving up or using them I'd probably use them?
    Don't worry the baby will be fine on the colostrum til your milk comes in somewhere between day 2 & day 4.

I have noticed baby gets less when I use the shields alright, like before a feed my boob is hard and it's soft after a fees but after a feed with nipple shield it's sometimes still a bit hard, like it hasn't been fully drained. But I've heard of lots of women that feed with shields either temporarily or always.

Hopefully when PHN explains latching tomorrow in the quiet if your own home it'll be easier to take it in. You put 'nipple to nose' and 'tummy to mummy'. By rubbing their nose or their top lip with nipple it stimulates them to open their mouth wide & when they do, shove them onto the breast using your hand at the back of their head.
    They should have big ducky lips on the breast. If not you can break suction witb ur pinky & start again or I pull her lower lip down into ducky shape while she's on the breast that works too.
    You'll get the hang of it after a while! My nipples hurt a bit but not bleeding/skin coming off or unbearable like. It takes effort though both in care of the nipples and latching technique. Sounds like you're a tough woman!

Definitely not a toughie I'm upset all day over last night. She woke at 12 for a feed and was constant at my boon until 5.30. Couldn't get her settled at all. Phn today thought that she was hungry and wasn't actually getting enough milk throughout the night. She rang before she called to me and asked how I got on last night and I told her I don't think I can put the baby to me anymore and I would have to get formula ,that my nipples were that sore. So she said on the phone go and use my nipple shields til she called and she was at my house in an hour.

She asked me to pump and to log all the feeding times and wet nappies,she also wanted me to get in formula and to give her an ounce if she wasn't settling. She told me we can get rid of the formula again once I get my nipples back in action. I carried on today breastfeeding but it's getting worse I have cracks and dry nipples so we gave her her first formula bottle about and hour ago and she is knocked out. I don't think she was getting enough milk from me. I also tried to pump but I was only getting 10ml between both breasts so I don't know if that's enough and when I went to pump again,one boob wouldn't give anything. I think I'm going to call it a day for the nigh and leave my partner take over and start the whole thing again tomorrow when I wake with new nipples hopefully!

Sounds like a tough night and day Ja. Just remember breast or bottle you're a great Mama and you're doing a fantastic job! You're recovering from major abdominal surgery and 9 months of pregnancy so you need to get some rest. If bf works great.....but if you have to give a bottle don't beat yourself up over it!!

Try pumping in the morning (assuming you get sleep!) you should get more then.
    Also feeding on 1 boob while pumping on the other helps.

I hope you get some sleep tonight Ja xx

Lucuma glad to hear you got some sleep, hopefully it continues. How did the meeting with your doula go? Glad to see your mam is being supportive.

Ja sounds like things are pretty tough at the moment for you, don't be so hard on yourself, you have had a tough ride of late. Could you try and give your local La Leche league leader or Cuidui counsellor a call? There is no fee for them and they offer over the phone support and you dont need to be a member. Alternatively you could see if you could get a lactation consultant in your area. I would start with the free resources first though.

Wuffly hope you are doing OK and have or are soon to get your induction. I feel your pain :(

Went in for a checkup today, baby is engaged. I had an exam which was super uncomfortable so my doctor stopped as said my cervix was not ready for a sweep and not soft enough. I am booked in for another appointment next Tuesday for a check-up and sweep and an induction next Wednesday morning. I am so annoyed. Cried coming out of the hospital like a baby. God this is the longest wait ever. Stupid cervix!!!! I am just going to try do more exercise on the ball, walk loads, drink raspberry leaf tea etc. I am so bored waiting around, unable to make plans.

Went to a La Leche league meeting last night which was good, nice to meet the local leader and have their details if I need to call them for support. Praying breastfeeding goes well.

Anyway looks like I will be the last to go on this thread. Can anyone tell how annoyed I am :pac::rolleyes:

Hi ladies, our little one finally arrived 12days over. Managed to get labour going on our own but not regular or strong so got the induction pessary, kicked things right off. Luckily the water birth pool was available so got in there once the midwife was happy contractions were regular enough. Was sick from the contractions a few times before I got into the pool and the gas and air made me sick so just has the pool as pain relief. Found it hard going during the contractions but the birth was amazing part of it is you pull baby out the last bit and out of the water yourself. Had the most amazing widwife, my dr didn't even make the birth. So our little boy is here 3.27kg thankfully not the 3.9kg predicted by the back up dr last week! He's not inclined to latch so far but trying every 2/3hrs so hopefully he gets the hang of it soon.

Not long to go Kathy, hope you are doing ok, believe me I know how frustrating it is but totally worth it! So glad we were able to let him arrive in his own time.

JA, hope you are doing ok and getting the pain under control.
    Teggers sounds like you are flying it! Enjoy x
    Lucuma, I'm sure your mam doesn't mind, I suppose she might be trying to give you some space by keeping active out side the house. Hope baby is sorting out their day and night.. Hope everyone is well xx

Yay... congrats Wuffly :)
    Hope your baby will soon be here Kathy x

Congrats wuffly!!! Brilliant news. Can't believe you were 12 days over where did that time go! It just goes to show if you're left wait long enough it'll often happen by itself. I'm delighted for you that you got the water birth, that's fantastic! And only needed a little booster from the pessary, happy days!
    LOL at your statement that you found 1st time labour with no pain relief 'tough going'. ...I'd say that's an understatement!! ;-) Super woman!!!
    Hope he latches on for you. Water birth sounds really cool ...I never met anyone that's had one.

Kathy would you consider acupuncture to try get things going, they have a special one they do called induction acupuncture. I got 3 sessions to try bring on labour for no.1, the last of which involved electrodes-yowza.
    I think my baby has reflux, the one where they don't spew but are just in pain all the time. Uncontrollable crying out of her this evening after non-stop feeding for hours this eve. My mother & aunt were shocked, no-one could calm her down.
    I dragged out the steriliser & a few bottles & made up Gaviscon infant for her with cooled boiled water. It didn't instantly calm her but a few farts later she suddenly calmed down. She's so bad with trapped wind it could be a combination of wind & reflux that ails her :-( I've 2 more bottles with G.infant made up now for the night feeds & hoping it's enough orherwise I'll have to get the prescription Zantac drops (keep meaning to register her for free under 6 GP actually. ...will do tomorrow! !)
    I ordered a side sleeping positioner online (hard to find as they don't exist in Ire but I
    found it eventually! ) coz unfortunately she refuses to sleep on her back :-( I never had this prob with no.1. This wedge thing keeps her on her side & prevents her from rolling onto her tummy.
    The expensive cosleeper is a very nice ornament in my room!! She hasn't slept a wink in it in 3 weeks.....it turned out to be a dust gatherer, headwreck. Can't wait to have her out of the bed but have a feeling twil be a while yet :-/

Wuffly huge congrats on the arrival of your little guy. Glad you got to use the birthing pool and he came naturally. How are you getting on now?

Lucuma I am actually booked into an Acupuncture session tomorrow for inducing labour. Never done it before and not really sure if it will work but sure if it helps me relax for an hour what's the harm.

Sorry to hear about your little one and the reflux, I'd say it is so hard when you don't know exactly what is wrong. Those are the kind of things I am terrified of happening and not knowing what to do. Hopefully once she settles she might use the co-sleeper.

Teggers and Ja how are you both getting on?

I am very jealous of you all with your babies, going into 6 days over now and I am just really tired. Baby is getting big and strong taking up my entire stomach so I am just super uncomfortable. I am sick of drinking raspberry leaf tea and bouncing on my ball and waking up with aches and pains everywhere. Back in Tuesday for a sweep and my doctor said he will give me till Wednesday to go by myself but then he wants to induce, I am hoping I can go naturally before then or else get an extra day or so or even just try and get the pessary and not the drip. Anyway this day next week we should have our baby, just taking that bit longer :(

• Advertisement

"enjoy" the acupuncture Kathy! I'm sure they won't start you off on the electrodes one, unless you specifically ask for it of course so it probably won't be too bad. The other thing is there's an ingredient in the core of a pineapple that people eat to bring on labour as well if you're in the supermarket!

Ja I was reading your posts in the other thread, did your stitches turn out to be infected? Nasty business....hope it heals up soon if that is the case. I assume they'll give you an antibiotic for that? I hope you don't have to stay in hospital?
    Re the feeding, you're getting lots of advice already but just to say as someone who has bottlefed and breastfed (and had baby blues!) in my opinion once baby is fed and thriving your mental health is the most important thing, you need to mind it coz you're a Mum of 2 now and you have a lot on your plate. I was breastfed myself and everyone in my family breastfeeds and I tried/am trying my best to do it on both babies but do I believe in breastfeeding at any cost, even at the cost of the mental health of the mother? No.

Wuffly meant to ask you howcome your doctor didn't make it? Were you in labour for long overall? How long do they keep you in the hospital for? Must be amazing having your OH there overnight, every first time mother could do with that! Any luck getting the little fella to latch on? Maybe try doing loads of skin-to-skin with him? Might help.

My mother has started asking my 'permission' now before she goes anywhere, haha. I wonder did my sister intervene or something coz it's a sudden change in demeanour and No, she's not on boards.ie :-D

How's everyone doing?
    Sorry JA I didn't read your last post properly the last time i posted, You poor thing sounds awful, really hope you are ok. Like Lucuma said the main thing is happy and healthy baby whatever you ended up doing I hope you are ok. Happy mammy happy baby.

Lucuma how are you getting on now? That's good that your mam recognizes you need a hand, whatever the reason. Hope the little lady is doing ok, sounds like you've a lot options going for the colic, I hope they are working. It's so stressful and exhausting when they won't settle

Kathy any update? You are almost there. Hope the accupunture worked!

We got home yesterday, baby has fed practically constantly since about 1am, no settling him between feeds, except for one this morning when the midwife called he conked out on my lap. Midwife was great went through loads with us. Thought baby would settle after the next few feeds OH was taking him to try and give me a rest but he roared each time til he was back on the boob. Im in a heap from the tiredness had about 30mins since yesterday evening. Said I settle him myself this time and he has conked on my lap again. So no rest for mammy just yet. Glad he is finally sleeping tho! BF'ing is going well, milk is in now, got his latch sorted before we left the hospital, nipples a little bit tender but using nipple butter between feeds and seems to be helping.
    Lucuma I think the dr expected it to take much longer than it did and think the midwife was not inclined to call her, which was grand with me was happy to just have one person guiding me.
    Going to try and figure out how to sleep with a baby on my lap!

Take everyone x

Wuffly so nice to read your post although I know you are tired it sounds like things are going well for you guys. Hopefully he settles with Daddy over the coming days so you can get some shut eye.

Ja I saw your post in the breastfeeding thread, how are you getting on now? I hope you arent putting too much pressure on yourself, agree with Lucuma and Wuffly, its important you both are happy and healthy.

Still no sign of movement here. Acupuncture went grand, had almost convinced myself it would work and had a lot of cramps last night and baby was going insane with sore pressure movements solidly for 4 hours. I got a bit worried but think it may have been a sugar rush as me and my hubby had a movie night with a few treats eek! I am back for another acupuncture session on Tuesday morning if nothing has happened then have an internal and sweep on Tuesday afternoon and am hoping this all kicks things off. If not I am into the dreaded induction route. If it does go that way then I am going to beg to just have the pessary or breaking of the waters and leave me be for as long as possible. My preference would be 24 hours but doubt they will swing that way. I will have to discuss with my consultant on Tuesday. Fun times.

The only thing keeping me going is knowing that next week we are having a baby whether it wants to make an appearance or not!

Lucuma, Teggers hope you and the little ones are doing well. :)

Kathy I really feel for you going over is so draining mentally and physically, it's the one thing I hadn't really prepared myself for and certainly not to be as far over. trying all the 'labour inducing' home remedies also wrecked my head. Although I do think sex might have kicked mine off, hopefully accupunture works for you. After everything we tried I was hyper aware of every twinge hoping it was labour. I still needed the induction but the pessary got me going in 40mins so even if you do need it you may still get to have the birth you want. Like you said at the end of the day in a few days time your baby will be here. Wishing you the best of luck.

Still a fairly sleepless house here, but got 3hrs broken sleep last night so kind of getting there. It's just heart breaking him roaring between feeds, he doesn't seem to have wind or colic just hungry constably. Poor Daddy is feeling a bit useless not being able to settle him not that I can everytime either. Noticed my feet felt a bit funny last evening when I finally looked down I realised they were massively swollen, and my hands the same thought they were crampy from getting used holding baby and the feeding positions for so long. Trying to do feeds in bed now to keep my feet up but they are still very swollen and sore. Apparently normal hope it fecks off soon. My spd is gone so I was enjoying moving like a relatively normal person!

Hope everyone is well x

wuffly wrote: »
    My spd is gone so I was enjoying moving like a relatively normal person!

Great to hear that wuffly. I thought mine was too but actually Im still getting the odd twinge. I was so looking forward to being able to cross my legs again so it's a bit annoying!

You cratur getting so little sleep especially after a natural labour, you must be knackered. nothing can prepare you really for the exhaustion of night feeds and lack of sleep with a new born...it's hell! It does not last long though and will get better! I know this from the last time but I'm still finding it tough myself as well.

Jeez no colic here, thank god, just wind. Using infacol before feeds and doing a lot of different techniques to get wind up or down. I also think she has reflux coz sometimes when she belches she does a little grimace like it's hurting her, so am giving 1 gaviscon infant dose before bedtime and one in the middle of the night as well. I find that when she's agitated she roots like mad for the breast, when in fact she's just seeking comfort from the wind (or maybe the reflux?).
    She has been hard going now today - I had one break while she was in the sling (ergo with breathable infant insert going really well actually, she loves it) and we were out for a few hours. but before and since that she has just fed constantly all day......it's very draining. just as well I don't have nipple issues, but even though I don't I'm sick of her constantly being at the breast, they need a break!!

I went to the PHN today and she has gone up to 3.8 kg. She is 4 weeks tomorrow and was 3.65kg at birth. So it's going in the right direction anyway although she has dropped from being above the 50th centile to being between the 25th and 50th centile. my mother told me not to take any notice of that though, she says you can tell from looking at her that she's doing grand and we're getting loads of wet nappies and at least 2 dirty ones per day.

I'm just bumbling towards the 6 week mark in a sleep deprived haze and hoping it gets easier then! this phase is the hardest by far but once it's over things get so much better. my next milestone now is a smile. I was tellign baby this morning her sister smiled at 5 weeks so y'know, no pressure :-D

Kathy good look with the internal and possible sweep today - fingers x'd!

I had to hand the baby over to my mother last night at 23:30, she was driving me round the twist. She fed non-stop all evening and when it was going to sleep time, she kept fussing on the breast - latching and delatching so we couldn't fall asleep. my mother took her to a different part of the house so I couldn't hear her. I dont' know what she did but I fell asleep around midnight and woke at 03:15 in shock that there was no baby next to me. I went up and Mam had gotten her to sleep in her bed, I don't know what she did or how she managed it but she's a saint! I took her back then.

Wuffly I get a bit of shut eye in the mornings between 5am and 10am lying on my back in bed with the baby's head propped up on my stomach, could you try that (I'm sure you have by now) my little one doesn't like being horizontal and fusses a lot so I prop her up there to try and wind her or get her semi-vertical. if she will sleep that way then I get a bit of sleep as well, I know you like to sleep on your back so it might work for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Hey ladies, I'm jumping in from June here, I had a baby last year and couldn't get him to sleep in his bed, my mum advised me to try hot water bottle to warm their wee bed a bit first, have to say it work a treat. Any be something to try, they just love the warmth of us mummy's

That's gas Aveen the doula I used came to visit yesterday & suggested the exact same thing. She said she took a thermos flask of boiling water to bed with her so she could get 2 gos of the hot water bottle out of it during the night (or put kettle next to bed) . I'm defo going to try this when we attempt to move baby out of our bed. For now I'm just concentrating on surviving !

Thankfully the first 48hrs at home was a cluster feed nightmare that has calmed down. Have even had to wake him for a feed last night and today. Thank god I was getting delirious and crying for an hours sleep. The midwife suggested the same thing with the hot water bottle Aveen, didn't work during the cluster feed and haven't needed to since but glad to know it works. Feeding itself is going well, nipples are a bit sore but have those lainsoh compresses and they made a huge difference. Midwife was happy with the latch but he has a little tongue time so really have to watch the latch or I'll end up in a lot of pain.

Lucuma you must be shattered glad your mam was able to help, amazing how refreshed you can feel after a few hours sleep. Hope she gets over the fussying soon. Do still think it's wind? I did try and sleep with him on me but to be honest i was so tired I was terrified I'd drop him or suffocate him somehow. Good to hear her weight is coming up, all these charts and percentiles just sound like a way to make already wrecked parents feel worse! I'm sure she is thriving even if she is fussy.

How are you doing JA? Hope you are doing ok.
    Kathy hope your apt goes well and you get things going, best of luck

• Advertisement

wuffly wrote: »
    Hope she gets over the fussying soon. Do still think it's wind? I did try and sleep with him on me but to be honest i was so tired I was terrified I'd drop him or suffocate him somehow.
    k

There's defo a problem with wind coz her belly feels hard, she arches her back and after much manual manipulation (!) when I get the wind out of her she instantly relaxes! I think it could be a vicious circle at night time....the only way I get sleep is feed her in side lying down position & I doze off, but that position -where she's fully horizontal- is the worst for wind it just builds up inside her as she's feeding & eventually she gets agitated from it & starts latching/delatching, frantically rooting (even though she's well fed) & generally not settling. Last night now I'd say I was awake most of 1am-5:30am but I got a bit of sleep between 5:30am and 10am when I got up so that plus the bit I got from when I went to bed til 1am will do me. Have to go house shopping today (natural stone, bathroom ware, lights, tiles) so need to be able to keep going and have had enough sleep to drive safely. I still have a long to-do list left, I made a good dent in it during the 5 weeks I was off pre-baby and am doing bits & pieces now too but I'm under pressure to get it all ticked off before heading back to Europe-no rest for the wicked!

Baby was 4 weeks yesterday so dug out the pump & sterilised it last night (My bf class notes say 'between 4 and 6 weeks') Pumped on 1 boob this morning while feeding on the other. She takes 45 mins to an hour to feed on 1 boob so was pumping most of that time and I got .........a measly 10ml !!!! :-D :-D oh well it can only get better!

Kathy 1 way or another it's D day for you today! !!!! Good luck!!!!

Advertisement