Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

May 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Hi ladies.. hope everyone is well?
    Bubba is now 8 and a half weeks old. Still not a sign of a pattern or routine emerging but I'm not worried about that yet. taking each day (& night) as it comes. He's happy and healthy and that's all that matters.
    He's having his first vaccine this Thursday. not looking forward to that! what do you guys recommend I get in as pain relief if needed?
    calpol or nurofen?
    He's quite a hungry baby and tends to gulp his bottles so gets very caught up with wind. I'm finding gripe water helps a lot. We're starting baby massage classes next week so that may help too.
    He first smiled at 5 weeks but is not that generous with them yet lol
    Although in the past few days he's started cooing and is a lot more responsive when we're talking to him.

Lucuma, my eldest boy had a hernia identical to your girls. Doctors were never too concerned with it and just left it alone. His disappeared before he was a year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hey ladies, how are ye doing?
    Hope things settle down for you teggers, sounds like the little man is thriving anyway! I'm sure he'll get more generous with the smiles soon!

Lucuma how are you getting on? How's the combo feeding going? Any improvement on the wind front? Hope you've gotten your well deserved full nights sleep or at least hope it's soon.

Still struggling with feeding here unfortunately. Had battled on with the BF, and had his tt snipped, didn't find much of a difference and was getting worried about his weight. Went to another LC yesterday, she thinks the tt has reattached despite is doing all the physio he's just in that 10%. He's gained next to no weight since we've been home, so she advised topping him up with formula and expressed Brest milk. He wasn't inclined to take the bottle at all yesterday even tho he's had it before when he was two weeks old, he took eventually, it's a struggle at every feed, then this morning he spewed it all up! Was hoping it would improve his sleep but he woke every hour last night. Hopefully he gets better at the bottle and the weight piles on at least.

We are getting lots of smiles though, really hope all this feeding drama settles down soon. As much as I'd love to continue BF'ing my nipples are still raw and in bits after 7wks. BF'ing for 20mins, topping up with formula and trying to express every 3hrs is not going to fly! So disappointed but really want things to settle down for him. So I think I will be transitioning to formula in the next few weeks.

Kathy how are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Oh I'm glad to hear about the other babies with hernias ...anyone I've showed it to was just shocked and had never seen the like. So good to know it's normal.

Teggars it's great to hear that you're getting on well with your little fella. Baby massage classes are lovely and he's the right age to start them now. I started them way too early on my first - at only 2 weeks old - and she was too young for them so they were a waste of money (even though I got a good bit of the cost back from health insurance). I started doing the stomach ones on this baby for her wind but then she got that hernia, now when I try to massage her stomach, even staying well away from the hernia, she cries so I'll leave it out. I should do it on the rest of her body though. I think it's something you have the luxury of doing when you don't have a toddler to look after haha.

On the routine, I'm not expecting any day time nap routine til about 4 months. Night times we actually do have a routine here. I kept tweaking things and now I've finally realised there's no more to be tweaked - it's not going to get any better, in fact if I try to change it now it gets worse so I'm leaving as is. This is the night time routine:
    Swaddle her leaving one arm free
    Give her her Zantac drops
    Give her 2.5mls of gripe water and 1ml of Infacol (she has to be completely horizontal for this or it comes out of her mouth)
    Turn the lights off apart from night light & put on white noise
    Feed her her 6oz bottle keeping her as upright as possible and she falls asleep on it (this could take over half an hour or more with winding in between)
    Make sure all the wind is up before putting her down
    Once asleep & winded put her lying on her side using the sleep positioner with her free arm extended under her head for support

If I do all the above she will do a 3 hour stretch. I have to go bed immediately when she does coz this 3 hour stretch is the longest stretch of sleep I get. I take 20mg of Melatonin in case I have trouble falling asleep. If it takes me 30 mins to fall asleep, that's 30 mins of my only 3 hour stretch wasted! I have stronger sleeping tablets I could take but then I'd have to give up breastfeeding as they pass to the baby so am managing on the melatonin so far.

After 3 hours she wakes and I change her nappy, give her another 2.5mls of gripe water, 1ml of Infacol, redo the swaddle and give her another 6oz bottle. With winding etc this whole thing takes 1 to 1.5 hours usually. Then she will sleep for a 2 hour stretch.

When she wakes then it's kind of game over. I don't give her another bottle as it's only 2 hours since her last one, so I just walk around with her trying to get wind up or use the dodie and I usually get her back to sleep for 30 mins. Then it's usually about 7am so I admit defeat and stick her on the boob in lying down position with her head propped on my arm.

I think instead of focusing on what I'm not getting i.e. 4-5 hour stretches, I need to take what I'm getting at the moment, stick with it and eventually those 3 hour stretches will become 4, and the 2 hour stretch will become 3. It has to doesn't it?!?! (say yes somebody please haha)

Teggars, I'd go for calpol even though I'm sure you've it already got now. Neurofen is more extreme I'd save that for teething or the like. My 1 year old never had a bother on her after any vaccine. Watching them getting the jabs doesn't bother me either though, wonder if the child picks up on you being relaxed? We had the 2 month ones today actually (I forgot to go to last week's appointment, plus have forgotten to go to my NCT twice in the last fortnight -incurring a fee both times, oh baby brain is alive and well here!!). How was little Danny after them? My baby only cried when needles went in, she had stopped crying by the time I had the babygro redone. I gave her a breastfeed straight after and she fell asleep. She's been ok since so fingers crossed

One thing for the vaccines, you're supposed to bring your own blue book which is in the pack they gave you in hospital (or PHN gave you) I haven't even opened that brown envelope oops. So I had no blue book. The nurse had only irish ones so I took one of them.

Also she was saying they're bringing in 2 new vaccines for free from October - Men B (the deadliest type of meningitis) and rotovirus. Our babies will miss out, feck it. You can pay for the Men B one yourself. For a child under 2 they need 3 jabs and it costs 160 per jab! Will have to think about that one.

Wuffly combination feeding is going well actually. No more sore nipple since I started combination feeding, don't know why. Although I never had anything even close to your nipple pain - I never had a crack or any skin coming off mine was just red and narly looking and throbbed on and off throughout the day with pain. Anyway it's gone and my nipples look normal now. I do have an uncomfortable sensation in my boobs alot of the day and night as they are not being emptied as often as before. SO I've exchanged teh nipple pain for that I suppose! I do need to either pump or give her a quick feed during the night once anyway (nothing major, just an ounce to relieve the pressure).

So sorry to hear you're still struggling and that the TT reattached! Murphy's fecking law. And I'm sure you paid through the nose for it as well. What a balls. You're really a trooper the way you're throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it and putting up with so much pain yourself. You've done an amazing job to feed this long against the odds so well done and hope you don't feel bad at all making the transition coz you have really given it your best shot.

I suppose coz I'm no longer relying on breastmilk to put weight on the baby I'm kind of just breastfeeding for sport now! So it's taken all the pressure off and I'm just doing it for the snuggles :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Lucuma wrote: »
    Oh I'm glad to hear about the other babies with hernias ...anyone I've showed it to was just shocked and had never seen the like. So good to know it's normal.

Teggars it's great to hear that you're getting on well with your little fella. Baby massage classes are lovely and he's the right age to start them now. I started them way too early on my first - at only 2 weeks old - and she was too young for them so they were a waste of money (even though I got a good bit of the cost back from health insurance). I started doing the stomach ones on this baby for her wind but then she got that hernia, now when I try to massage her stomach, even staying well away from the hernia, she cries so I'll leave it out. I should do it on the rest of her body though. I think it's something you have the luxury of doing when you don't have a toddler to look after haha.

On the routine, I'm not expecting any day time nap routine til about 4 months. Night times we actually do have a routine here. I kept tweaking things and now I've finally realised there's no more to be tweaked - it's not going to get any better, in fact if I try to change it now it gets worse so I'm leaving as is. This is the night time routine:
    Swaddle her leaving one arm free
    Give her her Zantac drops
    Give her 2.5mls of gripe water and 1ml of Infacol (she has to be completely horizontal for this or it comes out of her mouth)
    Turn the lights off apart from night light & put on white noise
    Feed her her 6oz bottle keeping her as upright as possible and she falls asleep on it (this could take over half an hour or more with winding in between)
    Make sure all the wind is up before putting her down
    Once asleep & winded put her lying on her side using the sleep positioner with her free arm extended under her head for support

If I do all the above she will do a 3 hour stretch. I have to go bed immediately when she does coz this 3 hour stretch is the longest stretch of sleep I get. I take 20mg of Melatonin in case I have trouble falling asleep. If it takes me 30 mins to fall asleep, that's 30 mins of my only 3 hour stretch wasted! I have stronger sleeping tablets I could take but then I'd have to give up breastfeeding as they pass to the baby so am managing on the melatonin so far.

After 3 hours she wakes and I change her nappy, give her another 2.5mls of gripe water, 1ml of Infacol, redo the swaddle and give her another 6oz bottle. With winding etc this whole thing takes 1 to 1.5 hours usually. Then she will sleep for a 2 hour stretch.

When she wakes then it's kind of game over. I don't give her another bottle as it's only 2 hours since her last one, so I just walk around with her trying to get wind up or use the dodie and I usually get her back to sleep for 30 mins. Then it's usually about 7am so I admit defeat and stick her on the boob in lying down position with her head propped on my arm.

I think instead of focusing on what I'm not getting i.e. 4-5 hour stretches, I need to take what I'm getting at the moment, stick with it and eventually those 3 hour stretches will become 4, and the 2 hour stretch will become 3. It has to doesn't it?!?! (say yes somebody please haha)

Teggars, I'd go for calpol even though I'm sure you've it already got now. Neurofen is more extreme I'd save that for teething or the like. My 1 year old never had a bother on her after any vaccine. Watching them getting the jabs doesn't bother me either though, wonder if the child picks up on you being relaxed? We had the 2 month ones today actually (I forgot to go to last week's appointment, plus have forgotten to go to my NCT twice in the last fortnight -incurring a fee both times, oh baby brain is alive and well here!!). How was little Danny after them? My baby only cried when needles went in, she had stopped crying by the time I had the babygro redone. I gave her a breastfeed straight after and she fell asleep. She's been ok since so fingers crossed

One thing for the vaccines, you're supposed to bring your own blue book which is in the pack they gave you in hospital (or PHN gave you) I haven't even opened that brown envelope oops. So I had no blue book. The nurse had only irish ones so I took one of them.

Also she was saying they're bringing in 2 new vaccines for free from October - Men B (the deadliest type of meningitis) and rotovirus. Our babies will miss out, feck it. You can pay for the Men B one yourself. For a child under 2 they need 3 jabs and it costs 160 per jab! Will have to think about that one.

Wuffly combination feeding is going well actually. No more sore nipple since I started combination feeding, don't know why. Although I never had anything even close to your nipple pain - I never had a crack or any skin coming off mine was just red and narly looking and throbbed on and off throughout the day with pain. Anyway it's gone and my nipples look normal now. I do have an uncomfortable sensation in my boobs alot of the day and night as they are not being emptied as often as before. SO I've exchanged teh nipple pain for that I suppose! I do need to either pump or give her a quick feed during the night once anyway (nothing major, just an ounce to relieve the pressure).

So sorry to hear you're still struggling and that the TT reattached! Murphy's fecking law. And I'm sure you paid through the nose for it as well. What a balls. You're really a trooper the way you're throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it and putting up with so much pain yourself. You've done an amazing job to feed this long against the odds so well done and hope you don't feel bad at all making the transition coz you have really given it your best shot.

I suppose coz I'm no longer relying on breastmilk to put weight on the baby I'm kind of just breastfeeding for sport now! So it's taken all the pressure off and I'm just doing it for the snuggles :-)

Lucuma, just asking encase you over loom this(like I did in my previous baby), have you move your little one up a tear size. I did it today with baby 2 and wind is easier tried get up. I'm using SMA formula but don't think it's agreeing with him. PHN said to give few days but she had other mum on about similar problems.

Wuffly I meant to say- same thing happened here when I changed from ex bf to giving formula as well. Loads of spewing. It settled down after a few days so don't worry! Think it's just their tummyggetting used to the change.

Aveen cheers but with combination feeding don't think bigger teat size would be a good idea twould make even more of a difference between the bottle & the breast.

Baby slept 5.5 hours last night !!!!!!!
    I did nothing different, just tge exact same routine as always.

She only did 1.5hrs then instead of 2hrs for her 2nd stint but can't complain too much. I feel like I've glimpsed the light at the end of the newborn tunnel of horror !

Lucuma what time do you start the bedtime routine? I really need to get my ass in gear about setting a routine at bedtime at least!

He was absolutely fine with the vaccines thank God. He was asleep in the pram when we were called. He screamed while she was doing it but I think he was more upset about being disturbed than anything else. By the time I got to reception he was asleep again and slept the whole way home in the car. Gave him calpol before bed last night as he was a bit cranky. Felt slightly hot during the night but nothing major. He's in great form today.
    I completely forgot about the little book. Wonder if I bring (remember) it next time will she fill in the first jab details?
    That's a balls about the new vaccines. So bloody expensive!

Girls, fair play with sticking with the breastfeeding.I am in awe of you all!
    Wuffly,what you are going through sounds exactly like my experience. I only stuck it out for 4 days though. I was at the stage where I was dreading the next feed so gave it up completely. Honestly I don't think I wanted to breastfeed bad enough to push through the pain.
    How was your little one getting the tt snipped?
    Such a pity it reattached. Didn't realise that could happen!
    We're on the public waiting list to have it done. Hoping to get word in the next couple of weeks.
    Was it Clonmel you went to?

teggers5 wrote: »
    Lucuma what time do you start the bedtime routine? I really need to get my ass in gear about setting a routine at bedtime at least!
    I completely forgot about the little book. Wonder if I bring (remember) it next time will she fill in the first jab details?

I'm not sure. They put the stickers from the vials into the blue book so you know the lot number and expiry date of the vial used, in case there was every an issue in the future. They mightn't be able to do that but they would at least fill in the date and name of the vaccine I'd say. It's handy to have the blue book for their future medical record. Like if they're going travelling when they're older and want to know what they're already vaccinated against. Or as a woman knowing if you're immune to Rubella when you get pregnant etc. Just good to have a record I suppose.

The bedtime rigmarole starts at 10pm usually and asleep by 11pm. The night she did the 5.5 hour stretch it was asleep at 11pm awake again at 4:30. She hasn't repeated that since, she's done a few of her usual night of 3 hours followed by feed followed by 2 hours and then last night she did 4.5 hours :P:P:P followed by feed followed by 1.5 hours.

Long may the >3 hr stretches last. I'm really feeling like she's turning a corner in many ways. Wind is getting a lot better. Sleeping is getting better. She's easy enough to deal with during the day, just sits in her swinging musical chair with the dodie most of the day while I run around after the toddler.

Funny we're getting delayed jealousy here from the 1 year old. She was grand the first few weeks but now when I'm breastfeeding the baby she moans and points at the swinging chair and says 'Baby no milk. Baby in chair!'. She is mad about her though it's just she rathers if I don't pick her up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just dropping in to say, Lucuma you deserve an award for all that you're doing at nights, plus dealing with a toddler during the day! We're 14 weeks+ now and I feel she really turned a corner with the wind at the weekend, just sleeping much more at ease, napping better during the day and doing less explosive and enormous dirty nappies. Hopefully your little one will improve with time too :)
    I wish I could say the same for my two year old....

Starting to see some light at the end of the feeding tunnel!
    The little man has gone down for a nap in the afternoon for the last 3days and has started to feed around 3hrs apart at night! Starting to feel vaguely human again! He just gets formula for his during the night feeds. Thankfully no more spews! During the day I breastfeed and top up although he is fierce slow to drink from the bottle (have tried avent and nuk) and it's hard to know what he needs/wants. He was very fast before when he was on bottles at 2weeks when I had the infection. I guess he will get faster, he gets a lot of wind despite being slow, using gripe water but may up it to infacol. In general since we started topping him up he is a much happier little man. I was all set to just stop bfing but because i don't have to worry he is getting enough I can use the shields. So I'm actually enjoying it while I still have milk and it will be a bit more gradual for both of us.

Can't believe is almost 8weeks and only 8weeks at the same time! It's been fricking hard, I don't know how people manage on their own. Lucuma your a rockstar I'd have my OH in shreds if I didn't get help at night. Great that your little lady is starting to stretch out her feeds hopefully she keeps going that way and your nights sleep isn't too far away! Guess it's a big change for your other little lady.

Sort of getting into a routine here but it can vary a lot! Depending in how windy he is and how long it takes to get it out!

Waiting on his pps no to get him in with GP and get his vaccinations, had to get a Drs letter (face palm) to apply! Got one from the Dr in Clonmel.
    Teggers I hope the tt snip goes well for your little man, we aren't sure whether to do it again. Part of me wonders if getting it done is why he is now slower with the bottles but could just be a coincidence. The Dr is lovely as are the whole team.

Kathy hope all is well with you xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Hey ladies I have attempted to reply on here so many times and keep getting distracted. We are doing ok, breastfeeding has become much easier although I am still pumping and giving him expressed milk at night. This is working for us for the moment so we are sticking with it for now. I would love to quit the pumping but have some sort of fear he won't get enough from me and I won't know how much he is getting. I still seem to have an oversupply and my freezer is full with milk. I am going to donate a good bit of it as I am unlikely to use it all.

My visions of being super active and getting out walking have not materialised as I imagined they would...LOL! I really need to get my ass in gear as I still have a bit of weight to shift. The little man had his 6 week checkup and has gained a good bit of weight, he is now over 11lbs so doctors were delighted with him. Getting some smiles and he is getting so strong, I feel like he is getting so big really fast. He sleeps Ok at night, asleep right now, will wake at midnight for a feed and then again around 4 and then at 7, he has been like this since early on so not bad. He gets a bit of reflux now and then, today he spat up an hour after a feed and I could see it hurt him but because its not regular I don't know if I should try and get something done about it. I feel so clueless on the baby front at times.

He has some dry skin on his head and a little bit of yellowing around his eyebrows, not sure what it is, maybe cradle cap? I have been using some oil but not sure its doing much of anything. Poor little guy had a great head of hair starting out but he is losing a lot of it now :(

Teggers how did the baby massage go? I have been doing my own at home to try help with his digestion but would like to do a class. Great to hear you guys are doing well.

Lucuma do you put your little one up to bed or do you keep her in the sitting room with you? We have zero routine here and i just go with him when he is tired he sleeps and when hungry he eats but as he will be 2 months next week I need to start thinking of a routine. We usually let him sleep in the moses basket down here then bring him up to bed around 11.30pm and I feed him then nappy change and bed and he goes back to sleep till 4am. Although in saying that he woke at 2am last night wide awake like he wanted to play so hoping that was a one off.

Hopefully you continue to get some extra sleep Lucuma. Your some woman I would be a zombie with that lack of sleep. My little guy doesn't sleep much during the day so I find myself wrecked when my husband gets in from work. Are you girls doing any set nap times during the day?

I have his vaccinations booked in for next week, glad to hear they were ok for you girls, I hope he doesn't react badly to them, hate seeing him in pain.

Wuffly you poor thing with the tongue tie getting re-attached! What a pain in the arse. The lactation specialist said our guy had a mild tongue tie but he is feeding fine so I dont think I will do anything about it. It seems nearly every baby has tongue tie these days so not sure what to make of it!

Anyway this is turning into a novel and the little man is stirring so better go feed him and get some rest.

Also Wuffly I meant to post, my lactation consultant recommended a saltwater rinse to help with cracked nipples which worked for me. Make it up in a big glass each day and use an egg cup or shot glass to hold it over the nipple. Some info here on Kellymom site on how toake it up: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    Just dropping in to say, Lucuma you deserve an award for all that you're doing at nights, plus dealing with a toddler during the day! We're 14 weeks+ now and I feel she really turned a corner with the wind at the weekend, just sleeping much more at ease, napping better during the day and doing less explosive and enormous dirty nappies. Hopefully your little one will improve with time too :)
    I wish I could say the same for my two year old....

Ha....before you go handing out awards, I've utilised the services of a night nanny to get a break. I have had the toddler most of my mat leave so far, but she will be going back to her childminder fulltime the week after next so then it'll be just me and baby so in theory I can catch up on sleep during the day ...hmm that hasn't worked with this baby so far though. We've turned a corner with wind here too. 11 weeks now but she started improving around 10 weeks. Sounds like we have kids very close in age. What's the story with your 2 year old?
    The cranio sacral therapist we've been attending with little one said that explosive poos (which baby has) are usually a sign of lactose intolerance, any thoughts on that? Another family member told me that once they put their baby on the lactose free formula his wind probs disappeared. Food for thought!
    wuffly wrote: »
    The little man has gone down for a nap in the afternoon for the last 3days and has started to feed around 3hrs apart at night! Starting to feel vaguely human again! He just gets formula for his during the night feeds. Thankfully no more spews! During the day I breastfeed and top up although he is fierce slow to drink from the bottle (have tried avent and nuk) and it's hard to know what he needs/wants.

That's great about the afternoon nap & stretching to 3 hours at night. You must have been like the walking dead up til now. Great that you're starting to feel vaguely human! Do you find your boobs leaking a lot and very uncomfortable now during the night coz he's only having formula?
    About being slow to drink, which formula are you using? I've been playing around with the formulas and bottles a good bit. I'm now settled on 6 oz bottles, Dr Brown's, with 2 scoops anti-reflux aptimal and 4 scoops normal. When I used 6 scoops normal the nappies were like water and I was doing 3-4 full outfit changes a day (by outfit read: vest & babygro ;o) but when I used 6 scoops anti-reflux the bottle was like soup and she wouldn't drink it. Both gaviscon infant and reflux formula thicken up her poos so they're not as runny. I was using Mam bottles as babies love the teat on them, but I switched to Dr Browns for wind. Now we've seen a dramatic reduction in wind here and it does coincide with when I started using Dr Browns bottles. Could be a coincidence and she was going to get better anyway but worth thinking about. Also one thing I learned from child no.1 - read the instructions on everything! They can contain some small pearls of wisdom, even like how to stack a sterilser correctly :) I read the instructions on the Dr Browns bottles and they said you shouldn't shake the bottles to mix the forumla and water. Now I couldn't imagine how you could make a bottle without shaking it but they suggested stirring instead, which I do now I use a long spoon like a latte spoon (or a long spoon feeding spoon) and stir instead. (one thing i have noticed with the reflux formula though you need to stir it straight away after putting it in the 70 deg C water to make sure all the lumps break up) anyway the theory is that stirred not shaken (James Bond eat your heart out!) , means less bubbles in the formula so less wind in the baby. Also worth thinking about. I was putting Gaviscon infant in normal formula before I started using the reflux stuff, but I find GI so hard to work with, but then again I wasn't using it propely (you're supposed to mix to a paste first and then add to bottle) I was just bunging it in with the formula and stirring. Anyway I find the reflux formula does the same thing as GI but much easier to dissolve.

wuffly;100334334 he gets a lot of wind despite being slow, using gripe water but may up it to infacol. In general since we started topping him up he is a much happier little man. I was all set to just stop bfing but because i don't have to worry he is getting enough I can use the shields. So I'm actually enjoying it while I still have milk and it will be a bit more gradual for both of us.

That's funny coz I would have always considered Infacol the 'lighter' one and Gripe water more hardcore! I'm using both anyway ! Although at this stage she hardly needs them but they're part of the night time routine so will keep going til the bottles are gone and not bother to replace them then. Yeah re the shields, I wouldn't have thought so before but based on my experience this time around, they definitely reduce the amount of milk the baby is getting. I found when I used them on this baby my breast still felt sort of firm afterwards, i.e. it hadn't been emptied. Then I'd feed without the shield and it would rapidly empty. Maybe some babies are more efficient at feeding through shields than others? Coz when I used them on baby no.1 I never noticed this issue. They are a catch 22 for a lot of people I'd say - can't feed at all without them can't exclusively feed with them! It must be hard for LCs and PHNs to know whether to advise women to use them or not?

Can't believe is almost 8weeks and only 8weeks at the same time! It's been fricking hard, I don't know how people manage on their own. Lucuma your a rockstar I'd have my OH in shreds if I didn't get help at night.

I know yeah. I used to advise single friends that wanted kids that if they hadn't found a man by X time, consider going it alone with a sperm bank, but after actually having a baby I swiftly retracted that advice !! Well I haven't been spending much time with OH, been mainly back in Ireland. He was unhelpful the week I came back to Europe so I ran back to Mammy in Ire again and been there since. Then she came over with me last week. However we are now back in Europe again so we'll see how I cope without her (she just flew home today sob....). The other night I handed baby to OH at circa 5am and said 'would you do a feed'. 1 hour 15 mins later we were all still awake :-( I had to watch for an hour as he made every mistake I made in the early days.....feeding her in a position that filled her up with wind, thinking that just coz she's asleep it's a good time to put her back in bed (nope...she has to be winded otherwise she'll be awake again in 5 mins!), thinking he could get away with winding her while he sat half asleep in bed (nope, to get the big wind out of her you have to walk around the room with her) etc etc. It was painful to be honest. I was trying to sleep but couldn't....and with all his messing and fooling he used up all the bottle and she was wide awake at the end of it all so there was nothing left to feed her back to sleep with (unless we went and got another bottle from the fridge and heated it up) so after 1.25 hrs I just said 'give her to me' and I stuck her on the boob, knocked her out and back to bed. I try to see it as a good thing though....if he didn't experience her at her worst, he'd never take any notice of all my instructions or see the need for them. I've been dealing with her day in day out for nearly 3 months now, so I know what it takes to get her to sleep but for obvious reasons he doesn't although he'd be very good with kids in general but this one is a tricky, windy little creature.

No rockstars here - see comment about night nanny above !
    Kathy22 wrote: »
    I am still pumping and giving him expressed milk at night. This is working for us for the moment so we are sticking with it for now.
    Yeah if he's waking at 12, 4 and 7 during the night I'd be loathe to change anything to be honest! You need that sleep, especially if he doesn't sleep much during the day. I'm sure you've tons of milk and don't need top ups at all but if they're making him sleep that little longer, how bad!

My little woman is still stuck on the 3 hour sleep- feed- 2 hour sleep- feed- 1 hour sleep- game over- cycle at night. Occassionally she surprises me and the 3 hour is 4 hour or that golden one time it was 5.5 hour ha. I just have to keep hoping that it eventually stretches so she skips one feed. Last night now she went to sleep at 10pm. Woke at 01:30. Breastfeed + back asleep in crib by 2am. Woke again at 03:45. Nappy change, 6 oz bottle, wind back asleep by 04:45. And then woke at 05:45 and I stuck her on the boob in side lying down position. Fed and slept & I caught 10 mins here and there. Up out of bed by 8am as she was too full of wind to continue. I'm grand, I can cope with this amount of sleep but I woudln't be going for any walks or any of that malarkey - there's no spare energy to go around but there's enough to do what I have to do (which is a lot !!)
    The little man had his 6 week checkup and has gained a good bit of weight, he is now over 11lbs so doctors were delighted with him. He gets a bit of reflux now and then, today he spat up an hour after a feed and I could see it hurt him but because its not regular I don't know if I should try and get something done about it. I feel so clueless on the baby front at times.

Teggers how did the baby massage go? I have been doing my own at home to try help with his digestion but would like to do a class.

Wow, that's brilliant weight gain and all on breastmilk, well done you!!! You must be delighted :-) About the reflux, probably best just to mention it to the PHN or GP next time you are in with them. Generally the first step is Gaviscon infant, next up prescription Zantac drops, next after that prescription Losec. Basically the same as adults take for reflux as you're well familiar with! Except baby versions.

Just be careful with baby massage on their tummies, you shouldn't do it after a feed, it can cause them to spit up. Did you have a reason to think he needed it for digestion? Coz if he isn't having any digestion problems I'd probably leave well enough alone. I was doing it to relieve wind but I found it hard to find a time she wasn't either hungry or just after a feed. That was in the early newborn phase though, it would be eaiser now that there are longer stretches between feeds. The massage on the rest of their body is lovely for bonding though. I'd defo recommend doing a class during your mat leave!
    Lucuma do you put your little one up to bed or do you keep her in the sitting room with you? We have zero routine here and i just go with him when he is tired he sleeps and when hungry he eats but as he will be 2 months next week I need to start thinking of a routine. My little guy doesn't sleep much during the day so I find myself wrecked when my husband gets in from work. Are you girls doing any set nap times during the day?

No, I've never been able to put this baby down to sleep or put her up for a nap/sleep since she was born. Defo the hardest thing about this baby! She only does one 3 hour stretch in a 24 hour period which is her very first sleep of the night, so I have to go to bed when she does, otherwise I get no 3 hour stretch of sleep at all in a 24 hour period. So we go to bed together. That means if I'm organised we're in bed by 10pm if I'm not we go to bed at 11pm or even midnight. Saying that when we went to bed at midnight the other night she slept til 4am - a 4 hour stretch for both of us! Bliss......then last night I was being good going to bed at 10pm and she only did 3 hours 15 mins. So it's hard to know what the right thing to do is! i think I'm more refreshed after a 4 hour stretch than I am after 6 hours broken into several parts?

Jeepers no set nap times during the day yet. I wouldn't expect that to materialise til around 4 months. Then they should start off doing 3 naps a day, which over time moves down to 2 and eventually around the 1 year mark - to 1. Then it can stay at 1 til they're 3 and beyond. Before loads of people start jumping up and down saying my Johnny/Mary never did 3 naps/dropped all naps by 1 etc I'm saying that's generally what happens based on my friends with kids the same age. Bottle fed babies are more likely to have a 3 nap, 2 nap, 1 nap routine than breastfed though. That's tough that he's not sleeping much during the day, do you have a swinging musical chair? If not...get one!! My baby sleeps half the day inside in it (with dodie coaching using gripe water also). It suits her coz of her wind, lying horizontal isn't her thing so I never put her for naps in a cot, it's hard enough trying to get her to sleep horizontal at night so I wouldn't even go there during the day.
    The lactation specialist said our guy had a mild tongue tie but he is feeding fine so I dont think I will do anything about it. It seems nearly every baby has tongue tie these days so not sure what to make of it!

I know! It does seem like a bit of an epidemic alright. The cranio sacral therapist I was attending in Ireland (who I found brilliant I have to say) said that there's a theory it's happening coz women are taking too much folic acid during pregnancy now. I also heard at a LLL meeting that apparently midwives in the old days used to keep one long fingernail and just do a sweep under the newborn's tongue so it's not that it occured less, just that it was dealt with before you even left the hospital! But that could be an old (mid) wive's tale!

Anyone else still using their pregnancy pillow? I wouldn't be without mine! I found a new use for it this week actually, put it behind my back when doing lying down bf'ing in bed. It gives a lovely support to your back! And I sleep wrapped around it every night. It still feels like heaven having gotten the baby out of the bed, I feel so free! ;o) She's just at the end of our bed in a crib so she's not far away, and I do enjoy the lying down bf every morning. I was trying to give only formula at night, but apart from that first 3 hour stretch after her bottle, formula doesn't seem to make her sleep longer during the night at all so I've started giving a breastfeed in the middle of the night every night as well. Like last night she guzzled 6 oz bottle of formula at 5am and then slept for the princely sum of 1 hour after it. WTF like!! I defo need to see a sleep consultant but have too much on at the moment, hopefully will see one in a few weeks when things calm down. Obviously will have to have improvement before I go back to work, I couldn't work in a demanding job on this amount of sleep plus keep the show on the road at home!

Re weight loss, I'm amazed to find that nearly 3 months post partum having done zero exercise (apart from lugging 2 kids about) and eating whatever I want which includes daily treats (I feel very sorry for myself with the lack of sleep) my body still has slowly shrunk. I think alot of it is just fluids that you lose slowly after the birth? My wedding rings are fitting me again as of last week and I've moved from super size granny knickers to just normal size ones :-) Next stop Victoria's secret ha, not!

Thanks for the advice Lucuma. He has intermittent digestive problems, lots of spit up, sometimes it's watery and looks like it hurt him so I guess it has acid in it, it definitely smells more vomity than some other times he spits up. He is also difficult to burp at times. And he will howl until it comes up. Overall though he feeds well, these just happen every so often.

Glad to see I'm not the only person sans routine. We are still just going with him. I feed on demand and try encourage him to sleep when he is tired either via a wall or put him in his crib. The usual times he will sleep during the day is on me (the boob), in the car or in his pram. I need to get better at getting him into his cot and asleep as it's hard to get stuff done.

My wedding band is finally fitting me normally. Took a good while for my swelling to fully go down and I spent the first month or so with night sweats. I would wake up drenched. Thank God they have gone. My pillow is in the hot pressfor storage. Too hot these days to sleep with extra things in the bed. Although I def got used to it.

I started my post pregnancy diet last week and am out brisk walking every day. I swear to god next pregnancyi will not over indulge as much as this. I'm so uncomfortable and none of my clothes fit properly. It's depressing how much weight I've to shift.

Breastfeeding is going good. I've got the hang of it. He is feeding a lot more these days I think due to a growth spurt. I've been reading this book which has been great to understand things a bit better https://www.thewonderweeks.com/. Little man seems to have got better with breast feeding also although sometimes he def uses me as a soother and just does small sucks and not feed so unsure if I should just let him or try discourage it?

He has a little bit of dry skin developing on his face. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hope you're all keeping well. It's been quiet in here.

Oh and Lucuma I laughed out loud at the Victoria secrets comment. I'm still in my pregnancy undies. I also really miss normal bras. I hate nursing ones. They give no shape whatsoever!

Hope your little one is sleeping a bit more. One hour is not good at all. You must be exhausted. I realise how lucky we are this guy sleeps great at night, wakes for a fees but goes straight back down.

I had written a big reply a few days ago, just noticed it didn't post!

Getting on ok here, we had a few nights of only one night feed but gone back again, think he is going through a leap. Combo feeding was going well until the last few days but he had started refusing the boob so I think that is the end of our BF'ing journey. I can't bring myself to force him as he gets very stressed by it. Didn't have any leaking during the night guess I wasn't producing enough milk anyway. Sad and dissapointed it's ending this way but I've given it all I can and I've learned a lot.

Glad it's working out for you Kathy, fair play to you for making it work. Hope the little guy is doing well.

How did it go with the night nurse Lucuma? Hope you hog a it of a break. Any sign of your full nights sleep? How is the combo feeding going for you?

Re weight loss I'm below my pregnancy weight but need to lose a bit more 🙈 Between BF'ing and walking the little man to sleep it fell off in the first few weeks much slower shifting it now.

On dry skin Kathy I always give the little man a massage with coconut oil after his bath, keeps his skin lovely and relaxes him. Haven't done a class so it's really just a rub!

Hope everyone is well! Enjoy the bank holiday weekend xx

• Advertisement

Hi ladies, Kathy it's great to read a bf success story, well done !!! Re what you said about finding it hard to get stuff done, will he sleep in the sling for you at all? It's handy for getting stuff done around the house - obviously no use to have a shower though! If you need to do computer work my sis gave me a good tip, dig out the ol birthing ball and sit on that while typing with the sling on, the motion should help to keep them asleep!

Wuffly you did an amazing job to breastfeed him as long as you have. Don't beat yourself up about it there's no point. BF is just one part of the massive parenting journey it's not the be all and end all. Plus it's your first child, everything will go perfectly for you on no.2 ;o)

My little girl was 3 months this week! Not long now and we'll have to be thinking about solids and getting her a cot! yikes. I'm still combination feeding. Definitely starting to see why it gets hard, she has been fussing and foostering on the boob alot the last few days, getting very agitated with it ...coming on and off constantly so I have to stop after a very short time. There are still a few breast feeds for which she doesn't fuss though - the ones that take place in the dark in the bed. Those are still going well, but the day time ones are not.

I tried to weigh her on an adult scales yesterday (not for the faint hearted) and she seems to be about 6kg. According to the side of the formula box this means she gets 4 bottles in 24 hours, that seems like so little?! You'd think I'd remember from my first child but I don't. So only a bottle every 6 hours. Is that what you're giving Wuffly? And is he happy with that. That's a long time to be killing/filling inbetween bottles.

Sleeping was getting way better and then suddenly went backwards again. Last week she slept for a 4 or a 5 hour stretch 4 nights in a row (!!) and I thought here we go...on the pig's back, but then she suddenly regressed and the last 3 nights we've gone back to worse than ever. She's now waking every 1.5 to 2 hours for a feed. I'm wrecked. However I can cope with everything except insomina and I don't have that thank god!

Night nurse was great, I got her to come when I was staying in my Mam's house but now I'm back in Europe we don't really have the space for one. Hoping my hubby will oblige and do night nurse this weekend ha! I don't really care about the lack of sleep for the next 2 months as my older dd is in childcare and I've just to get through the day pottering around with the baby but it is a concern for going back to work. I coudln't work on the amount of sleep I get. I contacted a sleep specialist and she said they don't work with babies til 4 months, so I'll be counting down the weeks til I can get one on board, yawn!

Weight loss is gonna be hard for me coz I get so little sleep there's just enough energy to do the minimum tasks I have to do during the day, no spare energy for walks or anything. I bought a scales this week though! Step one! I was quite appalled at what I saw on there and am refusing to tell my husband what it said.

Baby started giving little laughs and some coos last week, so adorable! Makes it very hard to be cross with her for keeping me up through the night ha!

Wuffly sorry was thinking after hope you don't think I was being flippant about your bf'ing journey ending - I know how hard it is to have to cut it short before you're ready, the same thing happened to me on dd1. Did you take photos? Coz that was one of my regrets on dd1, I have one solitary photo of breastfeeding her, it just didn't seem like something you take photos of (!) and I cherish that photo and wish I had more. This time around as I know it could be a short precious time, I've taken loads of photos, videos and 'brelfies' (only heard of that word this week!) . I also really regret I never made a video of my dd1 rooting, she had the most unique rooting style, she'd keep her arms pinned down by her sides and twitch her head frantically from side to side with a mouth gawping like a baby bird, it was just the way she'd put her whole body into it, priceless! Of course I thought it would go on for months and months but it stopped as soon as I stopped bf'ing at 3 weeks. You should hold your head up high anyway, you're not quitting because you aren't pushed enough about it or are too tired and too sore, it's because despite throwing everything at it, your baby wasn't putting on enough weight and you were advised by a qualified person. I mean you were very proactive engaging the midwife and seeing LC and getting TT snipped, feeding through bleeding and cracked nipples, infected nipples, and putting up with a lot of pain and lack of sleep......all those breastfeeds will have done him the world of good and you kept going for a long time considering all the obstacles! There's really no point beating yourself up over something that is basically at this stage outside of your control - if he refuses the breast you can't force it down his throat. I tried re-lactating with dd1 as well and she was having none of it! I never felt guilty or beat myself up about stopping bf'ing at 3 weeks with dd1 though as I had no choice. Dd1 has no allergies or asthma, has never had gastro, has never had a prescription in her life so far and she's nearly 2, and she only had 3 weeks of breastmilk so you'll have done great for your little lad with all the feeding he got since birth.
    I don't even know what I'm doing with the combination feeding, just feeding on demand and doing every second feed bottle, then breast. she is going through the 4 bottles in every 24 hour period but has lots of breastfeeding in between, she certainly doesn't look overweight though, just normal/small. Today now I haven't given her a bottle yet since 3am this morning and she's doing much better on the breast than yesterday. Might try that in future and keep the bottles for the evening.

Kathy meant to say to you as well, strange that the little fella will sleep away in his own bed at night, but won't do the same during the day? Do you have black out blinds in the room? If I had a choice I'd prefer your problems, mine will sleep away for large swathes of the day in the swinging musical chair but is officially back to waking every 2 hours for a feed at night now. Last night she even slept in my armpit for one of her 2 hour stretches, we're going right backwards here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

Long time lurker here... think this is my first post! I was to be in the April Babies club but Babs held on til May!

Really enjoying seeing how everyone else is getting on.
    wuffly wrote:
    Getting on ok here, we had a few nights of only one night feed but gone back again, think he is going through a leap. Combo feeding was going well until the last few days but he had started refusing the boob so I think that is the end of our BF'ing journey. I can't bring myself to force him as he gets very stressed by it. Didn't have any leaking during the night guess I wasn't producing enough milk anyway. Sad and dissapointed it's ending this way but I've given it all I can and I've learned a lot.

I am EBF and just wanted to comment on this and share my experience - i went through an an excruciating first five weeks with nipple pain. Occasions where i was bawling crying, feet jamming into floor while my little one was latching on- all to cope with the pain. I dreaded feedings, tried pumping for a time to allow healing, etc. Found the whole experience emotionally very difficult also as i certainly never expected BFing to be that way. And for so long!!! I had consulted LC at hospital before i left as it was painful so early on. Latch looked perfectly fine though and i was told my nipples just needed to "toughen up". I'm sure they did, but surely that shouldn't have been the sole answer?!

Anyway, i tried everything - lanolin cream, air drying, hydrogel packs, ice cubes, etc to ease the pain. Nothing worked for me other than providing temporary relief.

So seeing as I haven't seen it mentioned here, after multiple visits to doctor and LC and chats with friends, i finally got the Jack Newmans All Purpose Nipple Ointment.

I really believe this solved my problems with nipple pain. It's pretty potent (not all doctor's know about it & not all will prescribe it) but within days my pain had subsided , & then dissappeared.

I'm still breastfeeding - pumping a little as well as i like the option of the bottle if i need to be away. But it might be worth looking into as a treatment if nothing else is working out.

As this is my first child, only now do I completely understand now why people don't keep Breastfeeding up...it's tough going in an already tough time. I've no idea if that helps Wuffly or anyone else reading - hope it does.

I also hope it's not considered medical advice...that's not my intention as such but just wanted to share my experience.

Now if anyone could explain why my 12 wk old has regressed in her nighttime sleeping to waking every 2 hrs, that would be great!

J82 congrats on the new arrival and well done on the ebf! Although I didn't have cracked or bleeding nipples I was reading about the Jack Newman's cream alright. It has a steroid in it that might be why some GPs won't prescribe? I don't know much about it but I know from having piles (eeeek) treated the GP told me that continuous use of a steroid thins the skin, that's why she told me to use the Scheriproct for 7 days only and then stop for as long as possible e.g. 1 month and then do a week of the steroid again. She said the worst thing to do is to put in on regularly all the time as that thins the skin and makes the problem worse (for piles I mean). It says the same thing in the Anusol HC instructions as well if you read them. But if you found a solution that is safe for baby & mother and meant you could keep breastfeeding it has to be a good thing!

Kathy22 - re nursing bras I just ordered these online the Next ones, they were delivered within 1 day - free delivery to me here in Europe I assume same in Ireland, the prices on the european site are a good bit cheaper though the white one was 18 euro! Anyway it's really comfy - manages to give great structure without being underwired, you'd actually think it was underwired! Seeing as you are continuing with BF'ing you might be able to justify spending on new BF bras!
    http://ie.nextdirect.com/en/go12016s1#467578

J82 same thing happened to my 12 week old, she had started sleeping for 4 and even the odd 5 (!!) hour stretch then went back to waking every 2 hours. I'm combo feeding and to my surprise I found that giving formula for the in-the-middle-of-the-night feeds made zero difference, she'd happily down a 6 oz bottle and wake 1.75 hours later!!! It has satisfied my curiosity about that point anyway as I would have always assumed after formula they're guaranteed to sleep for 4 hours, not so! Anyway I'm just breastfeeding for the in-the-middle-of-the-night feeds now as I can't be arsed spending time on a bottle when it doesn't get me any gain in sleep! Rambling here but basically my point is that if you think it's just coz you're breastfeeding, that's not my experience! Anyway my baby went back to doing 4 hour stretches again the last 2 nights so hopefully yours will too. Could be a growth spurt, I don't bother keeping track of these things - my 1st baby never had leaps etc so I kinda don't believe in them but some people swear by them.

No worries Lucuma, I know what you meant. I know I tried everything and got all the support I could. J82, I got the APNO cream it was great but really only helped once I used the the shields and now that my boobs are getting a break. I got it from the Dr that did the little mans tt so I was BF'ing with it for a few weeks. After 3 LC's a tt release, two nipple infections, a blocked duct (day of his christening) etc..., it was his lack of weight gain that made me give him formula. My pain was def an issue but I would have kept going. it was when I felt he was suffering because I wouldn't give up ebf that I had to let it go. I combo fed for 3weeks so he's had 10weeks BF I would have liked to do more but he's thriving and much happier now so I'm sure it's the right thing for him. Really glad it's worked out for you, I really thought when I got so far and through so much it would work but it just hasn't. I have learned a lot tho! I think for a lot of mums once they make it through the first 4-8 weeks and baby is doing well they can keeping going long term. Those weeks are just so tough. It won't put me off trying again but I will be more prepared, just giving it a go isn't enough of a plan not with my challenging nipples lol!

6kg! That's a great weight Lucuma, just under 5kg here, catching up slowly. He's doing 6 feeds at the moment just down from 8. Couldn't see us dropping to 4 for a bit. He's generally doing good stretched at night now, 5-7 hours. Glad to hear she is back doing longer stretches again going back to the 1-2hr gaps is exhausting!
    I have 2 'belfies' one from the day he was born and another from last week when I got the feeling it was coming to an end. Glad I have them, great suggestion!

Kathy we found we had to make it seem like night time to do day time naps as he has gotten more sensitive to noise and light as the weeks go by. We are traveling a lot so it's not totally dark anywhere we are but we try to put him down in dark quiet room. Getting use out of the monitor anyway!

• Advertisement

Lucuma how are you getting on? Is your little girl gone back to the creche? Hopefully that gives you a little bit of space. Is your baba improving on the sleep front?

Thanks for the link to the nursing bras, I ordered two of them online the other day. Wonder why they re so much cheaper in your part of the world? I could do with some decent ones. I hear everyone talking about the boob or bust facebook page but I haven't attempted to measure myself or even try go get measured. The ones i have seem to fit remotely fine so Ill just stick them for now and await my online order from next.

Re the sling, we bought a boba 4g baby carrier after trying out a good few, didn't have the patience to be dealing with the wraps so went with the carrier, he is OK in it but not in love with it, fusses for a while, cries and then eventually falls asleep as I am walking around. I will give the ball thing a go, need to find where I threw it after the birth Lol!

Wuffly glad things are getting easier for you and sorry breastfeeding didn't work out as planned for you. It definitely is not an easy thing to master. I don't know anyone that stepped in and did it with ease from the get go.

We are still breastfeeding and I am so much more confident with it now, have literally fed him everywhere at this stage. Its amazing the difference a few weeks make and I feel its not just me that has gotten better at it but him too. He is 11 weeks in a few days, I just cannot believe how fast time is going. I need to try find a few mother and baby groups in the area, the local breastfeeding group in the health centre is not great and the LLL meetings are a bit far away but may be my only option.

He is doing great, dry skin is clearing up, think it was this mum and me shampoo i got as a gift drying out his skin so ditched that. Sticking with burts bees baby bee and Moogoo products which are working well. He still has cradle cap but almond and coconut oil are solving that slowly.

He is feeding well but still spitting up a lot, they are different at different times, sometimes he just brings up undigested breast milk which kind of flows out of his mouth, making me think he has over ate and other times he definitely gets reflux and brings up curdled milk which smells acidic and he cries so I know it hurts him. These arent at every feed so I don't know if I should attempt to do anything. We tried infacol but it was pretty useless. I don't know maybe this is just normal?

I think he may be starting to teeth, he is drooling and sucking his fist a lot and seems to be getting comfort in a soother more often these days. It feels very early to be teething but from an online search its not so uncommon to start teething now. He is also getting so much stronger, the last few nights he has managed to shimmy himself almost out of the co-sleeper and into our bed, he kind of throws his legs over then pulls his body along, im amazed he has the ability to do this. I think he smells the milk and makes his way over to me in the dark. Hilarious.

How are you guys all getting on? I feel like we still have a million more things to learn. Lucuma you seem so much more clued it. must be a second baby thing :)

he's had 10weeks BF

6kg! That's a great weight Lucuma, just under 5kg here, catching up slowly. He's doing 6 feeds at the moment just down from 8. Couldn't see us dropping to 4 for a bit. He's generally doing good stretched at night now, 5-7 hours.

Fantastic, well done on 10 weeks that's great especially after all the obstacles. You gave him a great start and it must be great to see him thriving and happier now as well and you can move on to worrying about hundreds of other things ;o)

I'm all confused about the no. of formula feeds. How did you know to give him 8 feeds every 24 hours? I checked the side of the Aptamil box both in Ireland and here in Europe and the highest no of feeds per 24 hours was 7 and that was at under 3kg. Above 3kg it says 6 feeds per 24 hours, and above 3.5 kg it says 5 feeds per 24 hours and then above 6kg reduce to 4 feeds per 24 hours. Are they just loose guidelines so and you can adjust them?

God my heart dropped when I read the bit about 5-7 hours. 5-7 HOURS!!!! That's just unbelievable and he's younger than my baby :O:(:ermm: My little girl is 3.5 months old waking up every 1-2 hours every night ahhhhh.

So how much mat leave have you left now Wuffly? Will you go back to Dubai for the last few weeks of it. Would be nice to get some time on your own to relax before going back to work. I remember you weren't 100% sure about going back to your job, what are you feelings on it now? Have you got childcare organised? I have about 6 weeks left of mat leave now, trying not to think about it. The childminder that minds our older child has made space for the baby 5 days a week so at least I don't have the stress of finding childcare or handing her over to a stranger this time around which is nice, also knowing she's with her sister all day will alleviate the guilt a little! Will you miss the unbridled access to Water wipes when you go back wuffly :D have to say I've decided I really don't like them. I think they should be called 'water-logged' wipes. And it's impossible to pull just 1 out of the pack, they stick together and come out in clumps! I've stopped using them. I have actually started to use the good old fashioned face cloth now sometimes for some particular nappies (to be fair these would be on the toddler, e.g. weetabix nappies!) after seeing my mother use it when I was home on mat leave. Mam always uses a face cloth for dirty nappies just as she did for the 5 of us :-)
    He is feeding well but still spitting up a lot, they are different at different times, sometimes he just brings up undigested breast milk which kind of flows out of his mouth, making me think he has over ate and other times he definitely gets reflux and brings up curdled milk which smells acidic and he cries so I know it hurts him. These arent at every feed so I don't know if I should attempt to do anything. We tried infacol but it was pretty useless. I don't know maybe this is just normal?

I think he may be starting to teeth, he is drooling and sucking his fist a lot and seems to be getting comfort in a soother more often these days. It feels very early to be teething but from an online search its not so uncommon to start teething now. He is also getting so much stronger, the last few nights he has managed to shimmy himself almost out of the co-sleeper and into our bed, he kind of throws his legs over then pulls his body along,

Kathy I would treat the level of reflux you describe. But different strokes for different folks. The reflux my little girl has would be the same as that perhaps even a bit less and I went through the gamut of the reflux drugs from the OTC (gaviscon infant) to prescription (zantac and now losec). Infacol? Isn't that for wind? Never heard of it used for reflux.
    We're just started on losec this week and I'm not impressed. You have to dissolve the tablet in a small quantity of water which is a pain in the behind. And trying to get it into the baby is terrible. I think the zantac was the best of the 3 I've tried actually, but the bottle expires in 1 month so if the GP had known that (I only found out from the chemist) I should have got a repeat prescription to buy a new bottle when the first one expired.

Omg can't believe your little guy is so strong already! Moving himself off the cosleeper nearly! That's unreal. I suppose I am not sure about the range of movement my lg has because she sleeps in the wedge which keeps her on her side. So she can't move about the bed so I never see her range of movement in bed. Don't mention sucking the fist! My lg seems to have her hands in her mouth constantly these days. She is also starting to do what looks like sucking her thumb, already! She's a very smiley little thing and starting to coo and laugh now as well which is brilliant. She has charmed the socks off me & her Dad!

Well no she's not sleeping better, she regressed and has been fairly brutal tbh! But the form is good, both me and her, so that's the most important thing. My husband (and when in Ireland, my mother) gets the toddler up and out in the mornings so I can live with it for now. I'm awake a lot through the night so I catch up a few snoozes in the morning. I started sleep training yesterday, didn't get a specialist involved yet, my sister is helping me. I also got tips from a friend that read the baby whisperer. She trained her two using the EASY idea:
    E - eat
    A - activity
    S - sleep
    Y - you time
    The basic premise is that you don't feed to sleep. You feed and then they have activity which could be changing a nappy. In our case it will always be winding! and then you get them drowsy by sitting in a darkened room with them close to you til they get drowsy (in my case this hasn't worked so far so I had to stand up and rock her and sing) once they are drowsy enough that lifting their arm results in it flopping down, you put them into bed. So they're going into bed drowsy but not in a deep sleep. This teaches them that falling asleep in bed is ok. Then you do the 'pick up put down' method. So far she has gone out like a light first time though, no need for pick up put down! Maybe it's beginners luck but I'm delighted with it so far. She was after worming her way back into the bed full time at night and last night after trying the sleep training she did nearly 3 hours in her bed before waking at 2am. She woke every hour after that though :O
    I was reading my old bible What to Expect The first Year today as well as bits on here http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2016/01/3-6-month-sleep-guide.html#more
    (this is what my sister used and seems to reflect the baby whisperer methodology) and I think I need to start reducing night feeds. WTETFY suggests that if baby is waking at 12, 2 and 4 for feed try cutting out the first and last one adn only give the middle feed. So I'm going to try that tonight. The first time she wakes up I'm going to try to settle her in some other way, not feeding (yikes! This will be a first!) and the second time she wakes I'll feed her, and the third time I won't feed her. Here goes nothing .....

he's had 10weeks BF

6kg! That's a great weight Lucuma, just under 5kg here, catching up slowly. He's doing 6 feeds at the moment just down from 8. Couldn't see us dropping to 4 for a bit. He's generally doing good stretched at night now, 5-7 hours.

Fantastic, well done on 10 weeks that's great especially after all the obstacles. You gave him a great start and it must be great to see him thriving and happier now as well and you can move on to worrying about hundreds of other things ;o)

I'm all confused about the no. of formula feeds. How did you know to give him 8 feeds every 24 hours? I checked the side of the Aptamil box both in Ireland and here in Europe and the highest no of feeds per 24 hours was 7 and that was at under 3kg. Above 3kg it says 6 feeds per 24 hours, and above 3.5 kg it says 5 feeds per 24 hours and then above 6kg reduce to 4 feeds per 24 hours. Are they just loose guidelines so and you can adjust them?

God my heart dropped when I read the bit about 5-7 hours. 5-7 HOURS!!!! That's just unbelievable and he's younger than my baby :O:(:ermm: My little girl is 3.5 months old waking up every 1-2 hours every night ahhhhh.

So how much mat leave have you left now Wuffly? Will you go back to Dubai for the last few weeks of it. Would be nice to get some time on your own to relax before going back to work. I remember you weren't 100% sure about going back to your job, what are you feelings on it now? Have you got childcare organised? I have about 6 weeks left of mat leave now, trying not to think about it. The childminder that minds our older child has made space for the baby 5 days a week so at least I don't have the stress of finding childcare or handing her over to a stranger this time around which is nice, also knowing she's with her sister all day will alleviate the guilt a little! Will you miss the unbridled access to Water wipes when you go back wuffly :D have to say I've decided I really don't like them. I think they should be called 'water-logged' wipes. And it's impossible to pull just 1 out of the pack, they stick together and come out in clumps! I've stopped using them. I have actually started to use the good old fashioned face cloth now sometimes for some particular nappies (to be fair these would be on the toddler, e.g. weetabix nappies!) after seeing my mother use it when I was home on mat leave. Mam always uses a face cloth for dirty nappies just as she did for the 5 of us :-)

I think he may be starting to teeth, he is drooling and sucking his fist a lot and seems to be getting comfort in a soother more often these days. It feels very early to be teething but from an online search its not so uncommon to start teething now. He is also getting so much stronger, the last few nights he has managed to shimmy himself almost out of the co-sleeper and into our bed, he kind of throws his legs over then pulls his body along,

Kathy I would treat the level of reflux you describe. But different strokes for different folks. The reflux my little girl has would be the same as that perhaps even a bit less and I went through the gamut of the reflux drugs from the OTC (gaviscon infant) to prescription (zantac and now losec). Infacol? Isn't that for wind? Never heard of it used for reflux.
    We're just started on losec this week and I'm not impressed. You have to dissolve the tablet in a small quantity of water which is a pain in the behind. And trying to get it into the baby is terrible. I think the zantac was the best of the 3 I've tried actually, but the bottle expires in 1 month so if the GP had known that (I only found out from the chemist) I should have got a repeat prescription to buy a new bottle when the first one expired.

Omg can't believe your little guy is so strong already! Moving himself off the cosleeper nearly! That's unreal. I suppose I am not sure about the range of movement my lg has because she sleeps in the wedge which keeps her on her side. So she can't move about the bed so I never see her range of movement in bed. Don't mention sucking the fist! My lg seems to have her hands in her mouth constantly these days. She is also starting to do what looks like sucking her thumb, already! She's a very smiley little thing and starting to coo and laugh now as well which is brilliant. She has charmed the socks off me & her Dad!

Well no she's not sleeping better, she regressed and has been fairly brutal tbh! But the form is good, both me and her, so that's the most important thing. My husband (and when in Ireland, my mother) gets the toddler up and out in the mornings so I can live with it for now. I'm awake a lot through the night so I catch up a few snoozes in the morning. I started sleep training yesterday, didn't get a specialist involved yet, my sister is helping me. I also got tips from a friend that read the baby whisperer. She trained her two using the EASY idea:
    E - eat
    A - activity
    S - sleep
    Y - you time
    The basic premise is that you don't feed to sleep. You feed and then they have activity which could be changing a nappy. In our case it will always be winding! and then you get them drowsy by sitting in a darkened room with them close to you til they get drowsy (in my case this hasn't worked so far so I had to stand up and rock her and sing) once they are drowsy enough that lifting their arm results in it flopping down, you put them into bed. So they're going into bed drowsy but not in a deep sleep. This teaches them that falling asleep in bed is ok. Then you do the 'pick up put down' method. So far she has gone out like a light first time though, no need for pick up put down! Maybe it's beginners luck but I'm delighted with it so far. She was after worming her way back into the bed full time at night and last night after trying the sleep training she did nearly 3 hours in her bed before waking at 2am. She woke every hour after that though :O
    I was reading my old bible What to Expect The first Year today as well as bits on here http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2016/01/3-6-month-sleep-guide.html#more
    (this is what my sister used and seems to reflect the baby whisperer methodology) and as she will be 4 months in 2.5 weeks I think I need to start reducing night feeds. WTETFY suggests that if baby is waking at 12, 2 and 4 for feed try cutting out the first and last one adn only give the middle feed. So I'm going to try that tonight. The first time she wakes up I'm going to try to settle her in some other way, not feeding (yikes! This will be a first!) and the second time she wakes I'll feed her, and the third time I won't feed her. Here goes nothing .....

Well that didn't go according to plan ha. She slept 1.5hr in crib then was in our bed rest of night, supping away. It's a grand life she has! :-D I'm fairly wrecked tho. Tonight is another night. ....
    Kathy forgot to say re sling- looked up the 1 u have looks v.similar to ergo I have. Took newborn insert out yesterday coz it says use it up to 5.5kg & she's above that now. But she didn't like being in it at all without the insert, not cosy enough to make her fall asleep. I'm going to put insert back in for another bit. I'm still tempted to buy the ergo 360 where they face out, gives em something to do looking out at the world, might mean I'd get longer out of the sling. I'll see if I can get one 2nd hand. I found the breathable infant insert great I haveto say.
    My little lady moved into 3-6mo clothes last weekend! Was so delighted. gr8 to see her take a stretch and to get first 3mo over with.m I'm not a fan of the '4th trimester' . Only thing is I think my lo is going for a 5th trimester LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Lucuma they can only face out for 20 mins at a time, something to bear in mind.

Thanks Lucuma, did you get baby Gaviscon over the counter? Worthwhile trying it before bringing him to the doctor? Oh I should have mentioned, he seems to have a lot of wind and when I wind him he burps and brings up the milk. He usually comes off the breast and fusses trying to go back on but crying so I know its wind and when i burp him he pukes. We tried infacol to help with the wind but tbh I thought it was pretty crap and did nothing. Kind of crap the losec is in tablet form, seems pretty silly for a baby!

Oh and isnt the laughing the best, he has started to laugh as well and it would just melt your heart. When he is ihn good form, usually after a long feed and a nappy change he would warm the coldest of hearts. He is a fiesty little thing and very strong for his age, commented on by a few people and the PHN. I reckon he will be trouble in a few months making his way around the house.

I also feel your pain on the regressed sleeping, since he started teething our little man has been waking much more often and he does these cluster feeding sessions from about 6am in the morning until I finally get him down for a nap at about 10.30am. I usually go back to bed with him then also as I am shattered. It has to be said though at night time he is great for sleeping and easy enough to get to sleep, usually some boob time in front of the TV with no lights on in the room. I can't imagine cutting out a feed for him as he is such a hungry baby. I am hoping this is a growth spurt and not a long term thing as I like my sleep :pac:

I must actually check when we need to take the newborn insert out of the boba carrier and also the car seat. I weighed him at the breastfeeding group last week and he was 6.2kg ... yikes! He is also growing taller by the minute. He needs to slow down!

I have a hen this weekend and may need to leave him for the night, I have loads of expressed milk but very nervous about leaving him. My husband will be staying 30 minutes away from me so I may (likely) decide to just head back to him rather than stay over. We shall see. Thoughts of leaving him even if its just with my husband leaves me anxious.

Lucuma, we are winging it a bit on the formula feeds, he was getting 8 feeds a day when i was bf'ing so it was just topping up with formula, we reduced it down to 6 when he went totally to Formula, he should be going 4 hours between feeds but he won't go beyond 3 and he won't have more than 150ml so that's why we are at 6, and some days 7 if he wakes twice at night, he's roughly having 800-900ml a day it should be 5,180's. The 5-7 hour stretches seem to be every 2nd night ish we did get one 9hr stretch at the weekend but i think it was a one off for the time being anyway. If i could get him to dream feed I think we'd be on a winner but he will not do it and its almost impossible to wake him enough to take anything let alone a full feed. I tried a few weeks ago and he woke again 2hrs later and 3hrs later so i thought feck that, I'm wrecking a good thing! I think i will leave it until we are back in Dubai to try and work on that part of the routine. We are still going from pillar to post here although thankfully more time at my home where he is more settled and I get more help from my Mam. He's sleeping better since he went fully to formula, probably a combination of things though, less stress for him and me, his age and him being better with wind. All i hear anyway is about babies that have been sleeping through since they were 2 weeks old and the like... :eek: He's still quiet small even though he is gaining weight now, but he is super alert, holding up his head, and he's so nosey he needs to see everything won't settle in the pram for a walk, thank god he sleeps in it or it would have been a fair big waste even if 2nd hand! I have a tula carrier that i bought which OH uses a lot (with a new born insert) and I use a kokadi that i borrowed it doesn't need an insert I find both pretty good, not needing the insert is handy as i can pop him down to the pram easily if he's asleep in the carrier pretty. Lots cooing and 'chat' and smiles. He's wicked for moving up the changing mat and throwing himself on his side, i think rolling over won't be too long, he'll get some fright he hates being on his tummy, he roars through every second of tummy time! Hope you start getting longer stretches soon. We are kind of using the easy routine as well, although I tend to rock him and use the dummy if needs be during day to get him down. At night I try and avoid the dummy as I don't want to be up and down putting it in all night, he has settled himself a few nights but the last few night I've ended up rocking him as for some reason he's trapped a lot of wind in during his last bottle, he'll roar for 20 mins in my arms then burp and pass out.. i was only trying to clam him and get him drowsy, but he's slept well after it so no complaints!
    Its so nice to see them growing out of clothes especially after worrying about their weight and size etc.. although a bit sad there's a phase gone already, not that i will miss the stress and exhaustion one bit! I think i am on your team regarding the new born phase Lucuma!

i have a month of mat leave left but my job is all up in the air, I've been told on the qt that I'm being let go when i go back, there have been quiet a few redundancies since I left. (Mostly the useful and therefore expensive people) I have been offered another job but I'm waiting for info on the package. Will see how it goes, I will get my end of service package anyway and will be getting a sick note for my notice if they expect me to work it. (My back is in a shocking state since the pregnancy anyway so it aint too far from the truth) As far as I'm concerned they can shag off if they let me go after being such ****es about my mat leave. The people I need for a reference have been let go or have quit so I don't have to worry on that front.

I will miss my water wipes lol!! :p i know what you mean about them tho! My mam bought a load of pampers ones (didn't know they even made them!) before we came home and I found them so dry and small they were useless once we started getting nasty formula nappies! :eek:

Kathy its great bf'ing is going so well for you, its so handy when you are out and about, rather than bottles and the stuff that goes with it. I felt more confident bf'ing in public (even with the pain, shields and faff with covers) than i do with a bottle, feel very judged. Are you on the Extended Breastfeeding Ireland Group? Its helpful but they are quiet harsh on mum's that don't breastfeed and all us 'failures' are seen as mindless idiots brainwashed by formula companies, i had to stop reading it but staying a member as i hope that i will get on better breast feeding next time and have better support and mat leave etc... If you plan to go long haul I would recommend it the longer term info and advice is very good, they can just very be harsh on new mums struggling (personally I didn't find it supportive when i was struggling and less so now that i am now ranked a failure and formula feeding is seen as tantamount to child abuse) I know that sounds mad recommending something I didn't find helpful but i can see it would be helpful for someone that has succeeded, if you know what I mean?
    We used infacol for wind but we've stopped as i think it wasn't as effective and he seems to be a better at getting it up himself these days. i hope the reflux gets better, its frightening when they spew, we've only had a few thankfully but its fairly common from what I'm told and as with most things he will grow out of it. He is a super weight well done! you are doing a mighty job! I've only left our little fella for 2, 3 hr stints so far, i actually didn't mind it too much, although the 2nd time was to get my hair sorted which felt like a total waste of 3hrs but hey ho! He's young and if you don't feel like staying away don't, you won't regret going home to him. Re the drooling and chewing getting a lot of that here too, i think its pre teething tho just his salvia glands getting going, that was the TT Dr said anyway, he doesn't have another symptoms besides being a bit more fussy at night but I think thats because he Daddy is away at the moment!

I hope everyone is keeping well xx

Kathy the newborn insert out of the car seat I found you just know when it's time to take it out if you know what I mean? I assume you have the Besafe back when I had dd in 2014 maxi cosi was all the range so that's what I have. With MC anyway there's a foam wedge underneath their backside which is the first thing to go as they get bigger, and then the head support goes when they are in control of their head. I think it's too early to take any of them out for my baby at the moment.
    Wuffly do you use the car seat clicked onto the buggy as well? I never used pram fitting on this baby as she doesn't like lying on her back. I use the car seat (maxi cosi) clipped onto the buggy all the time though. so handy coz if they fall asleep in the car you move them onto the buggy without waking them up. it's really handy for small babies. also she's semi upright and can see me, suits her a lot more than pram so I could go for a walk with it, not that I ever do - still only have enough energy to do the bare minimum.

It's funny Kathy, wuffly and I seem to all have had trouble with wind. Like you wuffly though my baby got way better when she hit around 10 weeks, now she still has wind but it's what I consider normal or slightly above average wind, not destroyed with it as she used to be.

On a positive note we're making small steps progress here. Not at night unfortunately, but during the day yes. Every day this week she went for a nap in her own bed for 2 to 2.5 hours! hashtag bliss! And another brilliant development, the last 3 days the nap has taken place on her back! i'm so delighted she's sleeping on her back now......a weight off my mind. I still use the sleep positioner wedge to keep her in one spot so she's not moving around the crib. I think she likes the cosy feel of being held in position. I'm using the swaddle as well now that the weather has cooled back down again (couldn't use it during the heat wave in July - could only put her to bed in a vest alone) and that is really helping as well. having her arms pinned by her sides defo helps her to fall asleep and stay asleep.

yeah leaving a fully bf baby overnight is a daunting task indeed at this early stage. but in theory it's your husband that will have the rough ride, you'll be having too much fun to worry about him I'd say! it's nice to get together with friends as well when it happens less and less often as we all grow up/have kids etc. you'll have to make a call when the night comes I suppose! we have a wedding at end of September, it's my family so zero babysitters available on my side as they'll all be at the wedding. i had planned on asking MIL to take both kids, but as the time draws nearer and baby still waking all night every night, I don't think we can ask MIL. I'd be comfortable asking my own mother but not my MIL if you know what I mean. It's such a pity as my husband gets on great with this branch of my family and it's going to be a brilliant wedding.....but unless we get a miracle with the baby soon it's looking like i'll be going to the wedding on my own :-( I never thought we'd be in this position with a baby that will be 5 months by then (!!) but sadly she isn't showing any signs of improvement at night. i'd kill for just one 4 hour stretch every night.

Ah wuffly, jaysis get off EBI now that you've given up BF!! That's no place to be once you've switched to FF. My sister said the minute she gave up bf she came out of all those forums! you don't have to stay a member?! Sure you just rejoin when you're pregnant with the next one, simples. God it's bad enough what you're feeling in your own head without torturing yourself further by reading posts in a hard core BF forum. For your own sake get out !!! Seriously, don't be torturing yourself. I actually did find them helpful the one time I posted looking for advice, but I deactivated the updates so now I only read the posts if I deliberately go in there, which I would do if there's not enough activity in my other FB parent forums and I'm waiting for a flight or something! there's always plenty to entertain in there but I'm only able for it coz I don't have any issues with disappointment or anything for introducing formula, I am happy with my choice and am very happy with the way everything panned out. To be fair though I had a catastrophe after no.1 so this time around I'm on a very different journey. we're all on our own journey. Don't ever feel bad for feeding with a bottle in public though! you're feeding your baby and keeping them alive, which is the job we've been tasked to do. what else were you supposed to do, allow him to not thrive? Pull out the bottle with pride and feck anyone judging. I never ever judge a bottle feeding mother as you don't know what their journey has been and you should never make assumptions and I've seen people on EBI say the same thing!
    You'll see yourself in a few years time, at this stage I don't ever judge any parent for anything, ever. One day you'll be the one giving your child chocolate or a tablet to prevent a public no-holds-barred tantrum, or giving a 3 year old a dodie or a bottle or whatever. Until I experienced a full on tantrum in a public place, I may have had a teeny tiny bit of judgement left in me for other parents but now there is officially zero!!!

Tummy time not going too badly here, my older dd used to cry for the whole 5 mins we made her do every day, but this baby doesn't cry until minute 4 or sometimes not at all!

I'm going back to GP asap to get more Zantac, it was by FAR the easiest of the reflux medications to give. For losec they have to have a flipping empty stomach so has to be 30 mins before a feed or 2 hours after. Not easy with a baby who's feeding on and off all day! and you can't crush the tablet just have to stir and try to dissolve it, trying to get a full dose into her is a right pain.
    Yes Kathy you can get Gaviscon infant over the counter. i can't give medical advice here so have a chat with the chemist about it or GP now that GP is free might as well go there as often as possible, only joking ....kinda :P

Lucuma I may just take him to the doctor. We bought he the gavisvon but in the last two days it appears to have gotten worse and he is puking more often. It happens if I lift him after a feed so I think I need to let him rest after a feed which isn't always practical especially ehen out. He does this cluster feeding in the mornings from like 6am till 9am. Just hangs off the boob so i just stay in bed with him.

We actually have the maxi cosi pebble plus. I think I'm going to take the insert out and leave the head part. He hates the car seat and as soon as I go to put him in it he roars and arches his back. Usually settles once the car gets moving but yeh not a fan at all!

Well the hen went grand. I fed him at 3 and then my husband headed off. He had loads of milk from way back in May when he was born. I'm glad we got to use it, it was the yellow buttery milk from when it first came in. I had a blast at the hen but was so tired the next day, definitely not able for a night out and was a right pain in the ass pumping, had to do it in the toilets in the pub and then when we got back (how glamorous)!

That's a pity about your wedding Lucuma, I'm sure your MIL would love to take her for the night, sure feck it if she wakes it's just one night. Great news on the weight gain. I find baby sizes crazy, some stuff we have is tiny on him now but other stuff that is 0-3 months still fit him. I feel so sad putting away his tiny baby stuff, he is growing so fast. I'll be broody again soon HAHA!!!!

Oh wuffly I am on the EBI group. I find it helpful for the most part but totally agree with you some of the ladies on there are hardcore and have a very anti formula mindset. They can be pretty intense at times! I would def stay off there as there is no need for you to feel bad, you are doing your best and that's what matters.

hello ladies, how're ye all doing? We were on holidays for a week and have been really busy, I can't get Boards.ie to work on my phone at all - am I the only one?- it's a pain to use on the phone so I only post when I am on the laptop. Well how is sleeping going now? Wuffly you definitely shouldn't meddle too much with the night time sleeps if you're getting 5-7 hours regularly. I ended up hiring a sleep specialist in the end and we're on week 2 of implementing the regime now. Like most things, you get out of it what you put into it and sometimes it's really hard to comply with and I just take the lazy way out due to exhaustion! But by and large it is easier having a routine. She goes for 3 naps a day, all on her back, all in her own bed. I'm supposed to stay away from rocking her to sleep and try putting her down in the bed and then getting her off to sleep by rubbing and shusshing. Also extensive use of the soother! I am getting her off to sleep in her own bed now more than 50% of the time. But I'm supposed to feed her on waking and it doesn't always happen due to having other things to do, so sometimes she ends up getting fed just before her nap and then like you said wuffly, there can be an issue with wind so I have to take her up and rock her to eliminate that possibility! But if I stick to it rigidly that shouldn't happen as there should be a long gap between her having her milk and her going down for a nap.
    Night times are slooowly getting better. She's still following the same pattern of one long sleep at the start of the night followed by broken sleep for the rest of the night til it's time to get up, but the times are stretching out at last (!). It used to be 3 hours at the start of the night now it's 4,5 and even sometimes 6 (!!) hours at the start of the night. Then I feed her and put her back down, and then she wakes every 1-2 hours after that. My husband is great for trying to get her back to sleep in the middle of the night without feeding (I'm only supposed to feed her at 4 hour intervals, if she wakes up less than 4 hours since the last feed we have to get her back to sleep without feeding) the idea is that she will realise she's not getting fed every time she wakes up, and stop waking up. Please god it works coz something has to give, I'm knackered!
    Any update on your new job wuffly? Hope you got the terms and conditions you were hoping for! You're absolutely right not to go back and work out your notice, sorry to hear your back is at you! My back was in ribbons after no.1 as well I think it's all the stooping, staring down at them while feeding, bad lifting technique etc etc. Try to always sit down at the table when changing them or dressing or undressing is one golden rule that makes a big difference (assuming you don't have a changing table at height available). On no.2 now I don't have any back pain, weird !! I think it's coz those muscles are used to those moves now?! Do they have cheap chinese massage in Dubai? You should try to get a back massage every 1-2 weeks anyway to relieve the tension.

So any rolling yet? My little one did one roll about 2 weeks ago and a few more in the days after that but she has stopped again! Her hands are constantly in her mouth here and she's mad to grab and touch things, so I put something on the playmat with rings so she can touch and grab them in her hands, mad how they reach new milestones every week! Your distaste for the newborn phase couldn't compete with mine so wuffly if you felt a little bit sad putting away the 0-3 month stuff! I felt nothing but happiness to see the back of those! It's hard going at the mo now coz baby is older than 4 months and no.1 was sleeping through the night at 4 months but we're so far off that with no.2 I'm like.....how long more is it going to be!
    Have you looked into childcare wuffly? I really don't want to go back to work this time!

oh by the way re your comments about EBI, I got attacked by members of the BF mafia there last week, and not even on EBI, on what's supposed to be an alternative, more moderate, more tolerant BF group! Rarrrrrr....when those types get going they are vicious!

• Advertisement

oh another thing I forgot to mention. Made an appointment with the nurse yesterday for the 4 month jabs. Went down there and when I went in to the nurse she said the system won't allow her to proceed coz it hasn't been 2 months since the last jabs! So it's not just that they have to be 4 months old but also it has to be 2 months since the 2 month jabs! How annoying. Don't think I'll be in Ireland for a few weeks again so they'll be well late, which will push the 6 month ones out as well then assuming the same applies

Wrote a long reply yesterday, don't know where it went!

We are back home in Dubai, so nice to be back in our house and space. Never ever travelling or have visitors for the first six weeks if there are more kids!! Little man is generally very good, routine is a bit messed up but hopefully it will sort itself in time. We had been getting sleep through from 9/10pm - 5/6am but now he's waking during the night for a feed. Possible hitting that 4month sleep regression as well. He feeds and then pops down again so can't complain. He had been doing great finishing his bottles and doing 5 feeds but we are back on 6 and not finishing them! We are breaking the dummy habit as well it had been a great help to get him down for naps but then he started needing it at night and then waking when it fell out, a few nights waking every hour, feck that for a lark!! He always crys going to sleep at nap time, although seems to be a bit less without the dummy now, bit of rocking and cuddling and he's down. he does about 1.5-2hrs 2/3 times during the day.

He's probably bored with just the two of us and no family doting on him! The heat is still fecking cruel here and he's hating the car, def miss the dummy there. I may make an exception on that front!! Re milestones the little fecker rolled over a few weeks ago when i was out for an hour!! hates tummy time so will pop himself over almost as soon as he goes down!
    We are checking out nurseries today :( we have one that will most likely go with as two of the other babies we know are going there. i dread the thought of handing him over, but happy he will be with other kids we know and 3 sets of parents using the place we should be well covered. Re my work I am none the wiser, old job is in limbo and new job don't have the cash flow! eck! OH is looking for work and seems to have a few options, as the business isn't making enough money, but is off the ground, Yey!! Good to have some of the pressure off.

Lucuma, how is your sleep going? Hope its improving and you get to go to your family wedding, they are such great occasions. We went to one when we were home, he wasn't sleeping through, so we had him for the day and my mam looked after him during his longer night stint, the hotel were great and brought us the meal in the drinks reception area and we tagged in and out during the meal, our table was right beside the top table at the far side of the room so couldn't take him in and out easily. We didn't last too long into the night anyway!!
    Are you going back to the same place? Or do you need to look elsewhere? Hope going back goes well and at least you have peace of mind with your childminder.

My back is much better now we have a changing table at the right height and we have mats on the floor here so my knees aren't sore, I am a wreck lol! i have a spa voucher that i must book and theres a cheap thai place near my work will check them out.

Kathy how is your little man doing, hope the vomiting is lessening. Hope things are settling down and you are enjoying your mat leave.

Re EBI i left when one of the admins said it was a place that bf mums could vent about ff mums! Thought it was a horrible attitude and certainly not what the likes of me needs to be reading. Its a pity they don't just concentrate on supporting bf'ing.

Taggers how are you getting on?
    Hope everyone is well

That's great napping wuffly! We're in the middle of sleep school here - I got professional help with the sleeping in Ireland and am back in Europe now (still on mat leave though) and implementing the schedule. Made great headway on the daytime naps as well. She is supposed to not be awake more than 2.5 hours at a time at her age so 1 short nap, 1 long nap and another short nap. You're dead right to limit dodie usage if you have a good sleeper anyway. No point making a rod for your back. I think you can still have dodie in his life for things like the car, shopping, public tantrums, and emergencies during the night etc. That's what we did with dd1 and it worked well. It's good to have something to fall back on whereas if you're using it all the time it's no use in emergencies then! For this baby though we have to use the dodie 100% for sleeping coz she's such a bad sleeper so desperate times cause for desperate measures....will deal with getting rid of it later.

Regarding the night feed, it's definitely normal for them to still need night feeds at this age, I think you were just getting away with murder before haha. Lucy Wolfe that sleep specialist was on newstalk the other day and she was saying until solids are well established like maybe 8 months or 9 months she wouldn't try to wean off night feeds. But if your child weans off them himself obviously go with it and count yourself lucky! In my plan now there are 2 night feeds. I'm supposed to be putting her to bed at 7pm, night feed at 11pm, night feed at 3am, up at 6-7am but I'm so traumatised from chronic lack of sleep that I still daren't to ''waste' the only long stretch she ever does at the start of the night so I put her to bed when I'm going to bed so I get a few hours sleep during her long stretch. It's not what I'm supposed to be doing but anyway! Sounds like you're flying it for 4 months though, happy days.

Kathy how's your fella getting on? I was inspired by your idea and took the foam out of the Maxi cosi as well but left in the headrest! She has great neck control but I'll still leave it in for another while I think. It's funny the things you buy but never use and vice versa. On dd1 I NEVER used the rain cover for the maxi cosi and now on dd2 I've used it loads of times! I think I'm using the maxi cosi clicked into the buggy alot more this time coz baby initially didn't like being on her back so the pram part was useless. She likes being on her back now but I'm in the habit of using the maxi cosi now, and it's nice to have her facing me. Luckily I got a double buggy the first time around so using it as a double buggy now, we're flying around in it.
    Is your little fella still eating the hands off himself Kathy? It's mental how much baby is doing it now.....and she seems a bit frustrated with it as well, definitely has to be teething. Actually gave her calpol for the first time last night coz she wasn't going down to bed. Have ye thought about whether to do purees or blw or a bit of both? I did mainly purees last time but my daughter is SUCH a messy eater still for her age, am wondering if I should do more blw this time to encourage them to get used to feeding themselves earlier and develop the motor skills.
    Getting proper little chats from my one now and she's still has happy as ever with laughs and smiles, adorbs! Kathy I'm sooo jealous of your extended mat leave, I'm supposed to be back in 2 weeks time. Bit like yourself wuffly have nothing definite ...might get back into the old place but just in case that doesnt' happen I'm hunting for something new as well. Have to say I'm kind of only half-heartedly looking (which I think my husband has copped onto ha!) coz I really don't want to go back...would love another few months with bubs. But financially that would be suicide for us with a house etc in full swing this year! It's going to be so hard to leave her though :-(

I started treating her reflux with Losec - I got the generic version made by Teva, instead of a chakly tablet it's a capsule that you break open and is full of these tiny pellets. I have to somehow get the pellets into her, about half an hour before a meal and I'm not allowed to use milk to get them into her has to be water! She chokes loads but it's still more successful than the chalky losec tablets were. I decided to give it a go coz she was throwing up the Zantac! Well the difference is huge since I started on the losec ...she was throwing up almost every breastfeed and only keeping formula down (I assume coz I have reflux forumla mixed into the bottles) and now she's not doing that anymore, only little spit ups. It feels much better that she's keeping the breast milk down I have to say. I'm going to reduce the formula slightly as well now coz she seems to be putting on more weight from the breast milk now that she's not spitting it all up! I have no science to how I feed her, just keep an eye on how fat she's getting and reduce the formula accordingly then I breast feed her as often as I can for as long as she'll stay on.

I spent ages writing a reply on my mobile and it didn't post! So good to see some action on the thread.

Guys so bad you both had negative experiences on the EBI forum, I definitely see a lot of anti formula talk but i just dip in and out and read info on what i am interested in.

Lucuma what a pain that you couldn't get her vaccinatinos done! And after travelling home, our little guy is getting his done next week. Hopefully they go ok cause last ones he was very out of sorts.

Wuffly I have no idea how you cope in that heat especially when you were breastfeeding, I find the heat over here especially at night time such a pain and my little guy is like a hot water bottle beside me in the bed.

Our guy rolled over a couple of weeks ago and hasn't done it again since even with massive amounts of encouragement, maybe it was some sort of fluke or something, lucky i caught it on film for his Dad!

Lucuma our guy obviously missed the memo of not being awake for more than 2.5 hours, LOL! We have him in some sort of a routine but it is mainly led by him. He usually has a morning and afternoon nap and then goes for a short sleep in the evening and is down for a good stint then at 9pm usually till 1am for a feed. After that he is awake at 3.30/4 and 6.30. I want to try bring back the 9pm thing by an hour to 7.30/8 which i need to figure out how to do. I feel bad for my husband though as he doesn't get home until after 7 so doesn't get to spend much time with him.

Are you guys still using the pram part or have you moved onto the seated buggy part? I just switched over the other day and he seems fine in it.

We are still dealing with reflux here, I tried gaviscon infant and it didn't do much of anything. I actually was doing a bit of research and tongue tie can cause reflux as air is getting in as the latch isn't sealed correctly. Anyway he was diagnosed with tongue tie early on when i had the lactation consultant out, I left it cause he was gaining and I had no pain but after doing some research I decided to get it snipped. Anyway he got it done yesterday in the Blackrock clinic. He is also teething at the moment so we had a horrible event yesterday where he cried solidly for 1.5 hours. He wouldn't latch on but kept trying and nothing else would sooth him, gave him some calpol and lay down with him and he finally calmed down enough to latch on and drink. No idea if it was the tongue or teeth but my god he had me in tears! How is your little ones reflux Lucuma? Did you mention on another thread she had tongue tie?

I am going to attempt baby led weaning mainly because I like the sound of it, a friend of mine did buy me the Annabel Karmel recipe book for homemade purees so I dont know maybe I will try a few of those. I havent a full plan in place yet.

The biggest thing for us is I am no longer pumping and just breastfeeding. Finally managed to regulate my supply! I definately do not miss pumping. He has become quite an efficient feeder and is usually done in 7-10 minutes. He is a hungry baba though and feeds quite often. Another thing which might be rectified by his tongue tie release. He is double his birth weght now so is a right bruiser :eek:

Hey ladies how are ye doing?

Lucuma hope sleep school is going well. i would be the same as you, if you are getting a good stretch take it and run with it. our little man is getting into the dream feed at 11 now which is great, he wakes at 4:30 which i don't mind but then he's bugger for his 7am bottle.. which is grand for now, but when i'm back to work (in a week) I really want to have him feed properly before I drop him off at nursery. His naps are now all over the shop I don't think he needed as much as we were trying to give him, seems to take power naps now, 30-90mins could last any length! Sometimes I can get him to go back down but other times theres no getting him down again. Not too stressed about it, he's eating enough and getting good rest at night. Half the time he still screams blue murder when I try to put him down for a nap so decided forcing it isn't doing either of us any favours. He's passed out on his mat now! Crazy child! Its mad how quickly things change, he'll do great in a routine for days then he figures it out and fights it tooth and nail!

In general he's good, he's moved into his cot now, which we moved into our room, I just wasn't ready to have him in his own room, think id be up all night looking at/listening to the monitor. Rolling in both directions although he gets a bit stuck when he rolls on to his tummy.
    Haven't switched over to the stroller use of the buggy yet, since we've been back we've clipped in the car seat a lot, mostly because if we leave it in the car it will be f'ing roasting when we get back. He never liked the bassinet when were out and about, only used it for sleeping most of the time, so may change it to the stroller option soon, he's very nosey so he'll probably love it.

Kathy great news that you no longer need to pump.. glad your little fella is doing better after the tt release, its very hard seeing them go through it and the 24hrs after can be very though. How is his reflux now? Any better? Great he is doing so well with his weight, no idea what our man is, will get him weighed when we go for his 4 month vaccinations.

Thinking of doing a mix of BLW traditional weaning a friend has lent me the annabel karmel book, so will see how it goes, I'm thinking as ill be working part time i can give the blw a go. Any recommendations for books?

Dreading going back to work, the time has flown :(

Hello ladies, great to see your updates on the babas! Hope they're all well.
    Kathy I didn't have a negative experience on EBI. It was on another group Mama for Mama Bf'ing where I was lynched!

That's gas my little lady was the same with the rolling, did it once and then didn't do it for weeks. But she started it back up again there yesterday and today again. Only rolling from her front onto her back so far, not the other way around yet. Not long now they'll be crawling and tummy time will be a thing of the past!

Regarding the buggy we're the same as wuffly - using the maxi cosi clipped into the buggy. I've a double buggy and we're currently using the mode shown in the attached pic (note use of models this is not us ha ;o) So I've turned into one of those mothers that has them in the maxi cosi buggy mode all the time....the kind of mothers I used to mentally tut tut at when I was a FTM ...when I used to think 'Don't they know the child should lie flat for the first 6 months, how can they even be allowed to rear a child!' :D

Kathy your fella is in a great routine for a BF baby! Maybe it's coz you were pumping and giving him expressed milk in bottles but he's doing 3 naps a day that's the same as what's on my schedule from the sleep specialist for their age. So both you and wuffly are putting baby down to bed around 9pm ish? That's funny we're the same and I feel really bad, like it should be 7:30pm or that but it just hasn't fallen that way so far. My husband wouldn't get home til around the 7 o'clock mark as well Kathy and I'll be the same when I go back to work, that's probably why kiddies bedtime is late in our house compared to others I know of.

Wow Kathy you've been busy with the TT etc! At this age did baby need to be sedated for the operation, I presume it was lasered? Was it hard to watch? Was his TT a normal one i.e. at the front? My sister told me you're supposed to put on a glove and rub under their tongue every day to prevent it growing back (that's if it's a normal one). Not sure how many times a day but I remember seeing her doing it with her baby. Your little man sounds quite similar to mine in fairness with the wind and the reflux. I joined a group called Surviving Reflux Ireland and also bought and downloaded their app on my phone. I was reading all the info in the app yesterday and came across this description (attached) about the difference between GOR and GORD. From reading it I'm thinking my baby has the milder one called GOR. I do have her on Losec but am going to wean it off coz I think she's improving big time. I was putting 2 scoops reflux formula to 4 scoops normal in her bottles but her poos started getting semi-solid the last few days so I've reduced to 1 scoop reflux formula 5 scoops normal. She was throwing up breastfeeds and keeping formula down but the last few days she's keeping breastfeeds down now as well. Not sure if that's from the Losec I'm giving her or is it just that her reflux is on the mend. Gonna wean her off Losec and see if the breastmilk still stays down.

I can understand you going down the TT snip route Kathy, as you mentioned before you take reflux meds yourself so the idea of starting your baby on them from such a young age doesnt' appeal I'm sure! I'm having second thoughts about starting mine on Zantac and then Losec now....wondering was it a bit over the top considering she doesn't cry with the reflux or anything. They're complicated little so-and-sos!

Great that you got to stop pumping and that baby is finished feeding in 7-10 minutes, that's a far cry from the marathon feeding sessions at the start isn't it! I think if someone could tell you in those first few tough weeks and months that after X amount of time the feeds will only take 7-10 minutes it'd be so good to know but problem is no-one knows how long it takes to get to that stage!

Re weaning I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to the BLW....not sure I'd be able for the choking :O I'd say I'll do the purees......my main piece of advice is give little or no fruit and just give veggies.....otherwise baba gets a sweet tooth and turns into a fussy eater later on! I never pureed fruit for dd1, only meat, veg, potato etc combos. Also good idea to wait as long as possible before introducing known allergens so I'd wait til 6 months for wheat, and 1 year for strawberry, kiwi, egg also you know you can't give honey or nuts obviously. Pureed sweet potato is a great one for the early days, babies usually love it and it's so easy to make a big batch and freeze cubes of it. I'm going to wait til 6 months to start anyway as per the guidance, I'm not naive enough to think that starting early is going to improve baby's sleeping, if only it were that easy eh!

Wuffly I'm interested in the dream feed....are you picking him up asleep and getting a few ounces into him while he's still asleep and then put him back down is it? I know what you mean about wanting to get the morning bottle into him before you bring him to nursery (is that the same as a creche by the way? I've always wondered.....) but really there's no need just let the creche workers give him his bottle, it's one less job for ye to be doing in the morning! So did you get your old job back or starting in the new place? It'll be a wrench alright going back to work but considering the crappy mat leave over there you've done fairly well to get as long as you did and he will settle in fine I'm sure. It's easier actually to put them in full time from the get-go.....I've seen friends that are SAHMs and try putting baby in for 1-2 mornings a week to get a break and their kids HATE it. I hope you aren't too upset saying goodbye to him! It's a balls but the bills gotta be paid eh!

Regarding their own room well the safe sleeping/SIDs guidelines say the lowest chance of cot death is if baby is in their own bed in parent's room til 6 months of age. I am not following it though as we moved her into her own room about 2-3 weeks ago. However there's a single bed in that room which I sleep in for the latter half of the night so she never spends a full night alone. I've attached 2 pics of her bed. We have this thing called a 'Sleepyhead pillow' inside it keeps them on their back and keeps them cosy. She's very up and down with the sleeping.....this week alone she had a night where she was dreadful altogether and then last night.....which was totes amazeballs. I basically broke all of the rules that the sleep specialist gave me last night:
    1. Instead of following EASY I decided to give her a few oz of formula just as I was putting her to bed so I changed nappy, put on sleeping bag, went into her room with lights off and gave her a few oz. Quick burp and then put her to sleep
    2. I'm not supposed to rock her to sleep but I rocked her on the sleepyhead pillow in my arms til she was asleep then laid down into crib

She slept from 21:30 til 5am :O:O:O

I woke up a few times and at one stage - 4am - I woke to a baby screaming. I said to OH 'oh my god the monitor is not working' and I went out to check but herself was sound asleep ....it was the baby in the apartment above ours screaming! So back to bed for me.

Then I fed her at 5am. I'm not supposed to breastfeed her lying down in bed coz sleep specialist said it will 'confuse her'. But that's exactly what I did, brought her into the single bed behind her crib, fed her lying down til she fell fast asleep, then put her back into her crib.

She slept til 8am :O:O:O

So now I just don't know !!!! My god if every night was like that I'd be a new woman !!! Could be a one off but let's see.....

Wuffly do you find him sticking his arms and legs through the bars of the cot or does a sleeping bag sort that? I tried bubs in the crib without the sleephead pillow the other day and she was all over the shop

397398.jpg

Wuffly can't believe your back to work, did you sort out what you are going to do. Honestly how hs time gone so fast, feels like only yesterday we were pregnant and waiting for the little folk to arrive.

I used to use the car seat a lot but he really hates it and is so much happier in the buggy, he is a nosy little guy so likes being able to see everything rather than lying down. We may need to use it soon downstairs for sleeping as he is pretty big for the moses basket although still sleeps in it for a few hours before we go up to bed. Lucuma are they definately supposed to be lying flat for thw first 6 months, should we be using the cot part still rather than the buggy? He has very strong head control so thought it should be ok.

Reflux wise he seems to be doing ok, it has definately camled down a lot since he got the TT snipped. He has a had a few smaller pukes but nothing like the ones he was having before, they used to hit the floor and others would cause him a lot of pain. Im so glad I got it done.

Wuffly there is a Facebook group Baby Led Weaning (Starting Solids) in Ireland that you could join. The only book I have heard reccomended for baby led weaning is Babyled Weaning by Gill Rapley. She seems to have a few books all available on Book depository here.

Lucuma the lactation consultant said his was a minor one but when i brought him in she said no denying this one. The public health nurse also thought it was tight when i asked her to have a look. Funnily pediatrician in the hospital said it was grand! Anyway it was an anterior type 2 so standard TT. Nope no sedation needed (apparently only needed after a year old).She did the exam an snipped it within seconds and not with a laser just the standard way. She is actually really good and was saying that there is not enough focus on it and it can cause problems later on. In the UK apparently the midwives check and do it at birth which is the way it should be in Ireland but not going that way. Yeh I wanted to try this first as I want to avoid medication as much as possible. How is she doing now with keeping down breastmilk?

Way to go on the 9 - 4.30am sleep!! Have you had any more of them? I've found my little guy sticks his legs through the cot (I think on purpose, lol!!) when I put him down for a nap during the day, he sleeps in the cot in his room for naps as its where i have the monitor set up. Ha we have actually used all 3 of the beds purchased for him. Our guys is sleeping terrible at the minute, I'm thinking 4 month sleep regression/growth spurt. He is waking every few hours, wont sleep in his co-sleeper if i am in the bed beside him, has to be beside me which is really disrupting my sleep as he is so fidgety during the night and seems to wake for a feed more often. Don't know what to do with him at all.

He has also point blank refused a bottle now. We went out for dinner Saturday night and my parents in law minded him for a few hours and tried a bottle to no avail, my husband tried the next day just to see and he just started at it blankly with his mouth open. Then on Monday I went to the cinema and he also tried the bottle with no luck. He ended up just falling asleep and woke when i got back for a feed. We have a wedding next month and I was going to leave him overnight which I was already dreading so no idea how its going to roll with him not eating a bottle, wonder will he eventually give in if really hungry. Making me more nervous now about leaving him, hate to think he is going to be upset :(

Lucuma just read your description of GOR there and I reckon our guys is not severe at all going by that. He puked up a lot but not all pukes caused him pain. Sometimes he had trapped wind (a burp) and would fuss and cry on the boob and when burped puked up a lot. Other times he just kind of got sick when you lifted him up after feeding and there was pressure on his tummy. I found when I relax with him or put him on his mat or in his bouncer after feeding he is much better and less likely to puke. I honestly have no idea what is causing it all - seriously wish babies came with a manual at times!

• Advertisement

Oops KathyI was wrong....just double checked my baby book there (What to Expect the First year) and it's 3 months they have to lie flat for, then into the normal buggy seat between 4 and 6 months!

That's so great your little fella didn't have to be sedated or lasered ha! :) it sounds very straightforward, and how brilliant to be able to improve the reflux without needing meds. And he'll thank you for it one day when he's a teenager and he goes to irish college haha ;o)
    I've taken my little girl off all meds now and she seems to be ok. I did lose the run of myself and stop putting reflux formula in her bottles as well and then got a few explosive poos for my efforts....so back to 2 scoops reflux 4 scoops normal! That seems to suit her best. But she's definitely not throwing up the breastmilk that often anymore so it seems to have sorted itself out. I was starting to wonder was it from my drinking too much caffeine (I do, definitely drink too much caffeine!) but just like her windy woes it seems to be just something that passes with time.

Nope of course we haven't had anymore of the 9pm to 04:30 sleeps! That was a one hit wonder.....bah.
    In fact she's now guzzling an extra bottle just before sleeping but has reverted to waking up 4 hours after she goes down, just like always - she's laughing at us!

She seems to be ravenously hungry at the moment! She's 5 months tomorrow thank god....the countdown to solids is on! Sure once I start her on solids she'll start sleeping through the night IMMEDIATELY :D I'm sure

Have ye bought highchairs yet? The one we got dd1 is a wooden one that separates out into a little kid's table and chair when you're finished using it as a high chair. It wasn't the best highchair as her thighs used to get stuck taking her out of it from 1 year onwards.....you had to jiggle and if anyone else other than us did it (e.g. a babysitter) they always bruised her thighs! She is now happily using it in its broken down form so we'll have to get a new one for bubs. I'll definitely be getting a different model next time around. We live in an apartment so with 2 kids there's already hardly any space so something with a small footprint is key (not one with big wide legs that stick out at angles) but we also have an antique dining table and chairs so want to keep the babies away from them! Gonna go shopping for one in the next few weeks.

Kathy I can't believe after all that your little fella is refusing a bottle now!! Little fairy. We've a wedding coming up but unfortunately babs is coming with us, it's going to be sheer hell even though we got an overnight babysitter (local girl) and we're staying in self catering house. But I have no faith that she won't need to come in and wake us up coz she can't get baby to settle and/or I'll still be able to hear the baby crying and won't be able to sleep. Am seriously considering not drinking at the wedding. The babysitter is booked from 5pm so we won't have to bring her to the meal or anything, just the church which will be grand, I'll sit down the back. I didn't manage to get a breastfeeding friendly dress for it, too much hassle! With her being combination fed as well it wasn't worth the hassle for the few feeds a day I do give her - I'll just take her to a private place and lower the top of my dress down.

Hey ladies,

Hope the little ones are well.

Kathy, sounds like your little man is doing great since the tt release, good to hear positive stories. We saw no difference after 5 weeks, one LC said it had reattached but LC here (another one!) says it hasn't and showed us the diamond scar. It really is a pity its not diagnosed and sorted straight away, hopefully with the focus shifting back to BF, it will get picked up and sorted quickly for people.

Lucuma, we put our little man in his sleeping bag when we put him down for naps(when he does them!) and at night, it stops him from putting his legs through the bars, he was doing that for a few nights before i got a lower tog sleeping bag, the ones I had were too warm. Doesn't stick his hands out but still manages to wriggle a lot and get himself totally sideways. His naps are still all over the place. I was bold last week and let him nap on me in the morning as he was a terror to get to sleep and I wanted to enjoy the cuddles when he was asleep before I went back to work. His night sleep is good, down by 7ish, dream feed at 11 then he wakes anytime from 3-6, he has been pushing it out a bit so hopefully getting closer to 6 mark again. He had done it a few times but then we ran out of the formula we brought back and the formula here was making him constiapated and gasy so I think that was waking him. Moved over to another forumla that seems to be suiting him better and he's sleeping a bit better at night. Lucuma re the dream feed, we do a bed time routine with him starting at 6 bath, massage, story and bottle (about 270ml so a lot larger) he's usually down by 7 or so, then we actually wake him at 11 for another bottle he will take anything from 100-150. We actually have to wake him up as he won't dream feed as such. We were thinking of dropping it as he was still waking at 3 but now he's pushing it to 4 and this morning 5, so I think we will keep it up and hope for the best. We only do the EASY routine during the day, not at bed time works for us for now. Not that its working very well during the day, but mostly avoiding feeding to sleep. Every time we suss a way to get him gently off to nap time he figures it out after a few days and fights it. Will only snooze if he's completely wrecked! If they only knew what their parents would do to get those opportunities to sleep lol!

I hope sleep starts improving for you Lucuma, one night of a good stretch is a big boost even if she hasn't done it since you know she can do it and hopefully its not too far away. Been joking with my OH that we still be rocking our guy to sleep when he's 25.

Kathy when we had to start topping up with a bottle our guy point blank refused, even though he'd taken to it no bother at 12 days when I had the nip infection. It took a few days and it was very hard but he did come around, we tried a few bottle types but in the end stuck with avent. I know its really upsetting I was in bits as he wouldn't take it and the LC had basically told us he was starving. I know on EBI they talk about cup feeding, might be worth a try instead of bottles?

Will check out that BLW book, thanks, i think I'm a member of that group, turned off so many notifications will have a look and see! Good advice on the sweet things Lucuma!

How's the job search going Lucuma? Are you going to be off for long more? I started back yesterday, feels like I was never away in some ways, but the mood is very subdued due to the lay offs. We are doing a mix of daddy day care and nursery this week... felt like we still had lots of time when i got home yesterday. Hoping he takes to it, he's very nosey so i think all the action will be interesting enough for him.:'(

hi ladies.. hope you and the little people are all well?
    I dunno how many times I've sat down to post here and ended up sidetracked! All good in our neck of the woods. I went back to work part time at the beginning of the month and am absolutely shattered! we have a very reluctant sleeper here.
    he had his tongue tie released at the end of August. he used to be only able to manage 2-3ozs of bottle at a time before falling asleep exhausted and waking an hour or two later still hungry.Now since he had it fixed he can drink 7-8ozs no bother.(still not sleeping any better though) But that has caused it's own trouble. he seems to have reflux now! never showed any signs of it beforehand. so our phn suggested we try him on Gaviscon and try slow him down on his feeds as she felt he was guzzling so much it was causing the reflux. the gaviscon was no help at all and I believe it made him constipated so I stopped that. I have him on carobel since last Friday and he seems a lot more settled so fingers crossed it'll improve. we also started weaning at the advice of the phn. He's not overly bothered with it so I'm not pushing it. I'm going the pureed route (obviously). Baby led weaning never appealed to me.. I think the risk of choking has me terrified.

Lovely to hear from you Teggers!
    Glad your little man is doing well, hopefully he will get used to the larger amounts and the relux will resolve itself, must be a big change for him being able to drink so much all of a sudden. Our guy took ages to go up an oz at each feed so can imagine doubling would be a huge difference. Hopefully once he settles into the sleep will improve aswell.

How are you getting on at work? Just finishing my first week, we've been dropping him to nursery for a few hours and upping it each day, so far he seems to be enjoying it. The nursery have an app so i get photos and updates while I'm in work, its nice but i spend half my time checking my phone! :blush:. This week OH has been doing pick ups and drop offs next week I will be picking up, not quiet ready for drop off!

Going see how the naps go with nursery and if he's still fighting them to the point of being frantic will look at getting a sleep counselor. He's good at night now (got to 6:30 this morning!!!) so I know I'm lucky but i feel like I'm terrorising him trying to get to nap! They've been brutal since that 4 month sleep regession. Trying to catch his sleep cues but he stills fights it. Not sure if I'm trying to give him too much or too little! :ermm:

thanks wuffly. every day we're seeing an improvement with him thankfully. last night he was a lot more settled than usual so fingers crossed it'll continue that way!
    work is going good. I work as a Nanny for a family so I get to bring bubba with me. which is great in that I don't need to worry or pay for childcare. on the other hand it's pretty exhausting as I have him with me pretty much 24/7.. his Dad is a great help at the weekends though in fairness.

that's lovely that you can get updates during the day. must be so reassuring. I think I'd be the same, glued to the phone! 😊

Wuffly such a pain yours reattached and you saw no benefits. I have definately noticed a difference in how he feeds as in it feels different to me and sometimes can pinch a little. I have started feeding him before we go to bed now as I am getting so tired with the 1.30am feed and he is now sleeping until 3.30am and then again at 6.30am. Wuffly i feel your pain on the naps, our guy fights them until he is exhausted and cranky and eventually falls asleep.

Lucuma good to hear she is doing ok without the meds, not sure if i mentioned it before but i was convinced my coffee was causing him to puke up as it was when i started drinking coffee again he was worst. He still brings up a lot of milk just witout the back arching and crying. I do definately notice he does it a bit more when i drink coffee, as in I had no coffee yesterday as i was running around all day and he had no pukes really but today he has had a few and ive had 2 coffees. Eeek i love my coffee. Totally went off it in pregnancy but the lack of sleep makes it a necessity these days.

Ha Lucuma I wish that it was through once they are on solids they sleep through the night! I have my doubts. We bought our high chair in ikea, I wanted something decent looking. This is it. Although we have a big kitchen so don't need to save on space really. Did you have the stoke tripp trapp Lucuma, I was looking at that but just couldnt justify the price.

Hopefully your wedding goes ok, we brought our guy to 2 of them as he was so young, second one i didnt have a room and it was a pain as i had to feed him in the sitting room whilst in an arkward dress. The other we had a room but still i didnt have a nursing dress so had to go to the room each time. For both I was wrecked and felt like I just spent my time feeding. We have another now in 3 weeks and my mam is minding him, dread leaving him for the night but looking forward to a glass of wine or 2 and a night with my husband and some sleep ... lOl. Still refusing a bottle so going to try a sippee cup this weekend and see how he gets on. Just going to stick with it for a few weeks every few days and see how it goes. Such a pain.

Teggers great to hear from you, mad your little guy had tongue tie too, thats 3 of us now. Mad that its so prevalent. I found the Gaviscon crap as wellbut hopefully your guys does well with the new meds. Hope work is going Ok, fair play to you ladies, I cant imagine going back just yet. My paid leave ends the end of October and then I have 4 weeks holidays to use up and once they are gone Im going to take 3 months unpaid. So probably go back next March. I know its going to fly in!

• Advertisement

that's gas isn't it. a lot people/ family etc hadn't of tongue tie before when I mentioned it but I bet it's more common than we think.
    I'm finding work tough going but am enjoying being back too.
    My maternity leave was not due to finish until the end of October either but financially I needed to go back sooner. I think if I had the choice I'd take at least a year!

Kathy, I think we are in the 10% that it just doesn't make a difference for and the last LC in Ireland did say he was just one of those babies. I'm sure I heard somewhere that tt occurs in 1 in 4 babies, although going by this group its seems the the opposite, 3 in 4. I'm still gutted it didn't work but he's a pretty happy little guy so that's the main thing and hitting all his milestones. Learned enough to hopefully make a better go of it 'next time' lol!

Lucuma. how did the wedding go? Hope you got to enjoy it and the little ones were ok for the night.

Teggers that's great you have your little man with you, must be exhausting tho. Can imagine its all go! Would have preferred to have longer Mat leave but same here on the finances front and work need a few projects completed so i think that saved my a$$ for the time being. Lucky to be part time and lucky he is enjoying the nursery.

Went for his first swimming lesson on Sat, he roared through the whole thing, think the water was a little chilly for him as he likes his warm baths! Finally found an afternoon baby sensory class so might try that next week. Not sure if its the same at home but absolutely every mum and baby thing is on in the morning. Even before I went back to work, mornings always went too fast, I nearly always pop out in the afternoons as he gets a bit cabin feverish, still hot so having to go to the mall for walks, total pain! Switched over to the stroller but not used it much yet. Still use the carrier a nice bit and he tends to be nosy and pop off to sleep in it easier than the buggy.

He's a total little charmer now, all smiles for the ladies and seriously nosy! In nursery they say he's 'inquisitive'! they could leave him in reception watching everyone go in and out and he probably be happy out!

Kathy, I think we are in the 10% that it just doesn't make a difference for and the last LC in Ireland did say he was just one of those babies. I'm sure I heard somewhere that tt occurs in 1 in 4 babies, although going by this group its seems the the opposite, 3 in 4. I'm still gutted it didn't work but he's a pretty happy little guy so that's the main thing and hitting all his milestones. Learned enough to hopefully make a better go of it 'next time' lol!

Lucuma. how did the wedding go? Hope you got to enjoy it and the little ones were ok for the night.

Teggers that's great you have your little man with you, must be exhausting tho. Can imagine its all go! Would have preferred to have longer Mat leave but same here on the finances front and work need a few projects completed so i think that saved my a$$ for the time being. Lucky to be part time and lucky he is enjoying the nursery.

Went for his first swimming lesson on Sat, he roared through the whole thing, think the water was a little chilly for him as he likes his warm baths! Finally found an afternoon baby sensory class so might try that next week. Not sure if its the same at home but absolutely every mum and baby thing is on in the morning. Even before I went back to work, mornings always went too fast, I nearly always pop out in the afternoons as he gets a bit cabin feverish, still hot so having to go to the mall for walks, total pain! Switched over to the stroller but not used it much yet. Still use the carrier a nice bit and he tends to be nosy and pop off to sleep in it easier than the buggy.

He's a total little charmer now, all smiles for the ladies and seriously nosy! In nursery they say he's 'inquisitive'! they could leave him in reception watching everyone go in and out and he probably be happy out!

Wuffly hope work is goin ok for you, i'd say the first few weeks are really hard. Teggers that's fantastic you get to keep your little guy with you. Although I'd say being a nanny is hard work!

I have been in touch with work and have decided to go back the end of March next year, with holidays I saved up and my bonus at Christmas I should be able to stretch till then. Means when I go back the weather will be starting to improve again and the evenings will be a bit longer which will be great for spending some time with the little guy.

We have had a bad week. Little guy is teething quite bad and also has a viral infection, bad cough, runny nose etc. Took him to the doctor after I noticed a rash on his stomach, turns out its a little virus so hopefully it will clear up in the next few days. He was being an absolute nightmare to put to bed and also sleeping really badly. Some nights he went down at 11pm. I think it may be the 4 month sleep regression happening as well. He has turned a corner last night and is in better form although still a little sick. Just going to stay in with him and let him get as much rest as possible. He also isnt eating as much as normal so I have been pumping the excess in the morning as I wake up quite full, have a bit of a bruised feeling in my left boob so praying its not a bout of Mastitis :(

Thinking of doing water babies, he is finally starting to enjoy baths so am going to look into doing it.

Hope the week flies in ladies for ye and you have a great weekend.

How fast is the time going! :eek:

Its not too bad being back at work, although my OH is traveling for the next few days so will see how I manage. Nursery is going grand, just pushing them to follow our routine this week as last week was a bit all over the shop. Will take a bit of getting used to on both side. Outbreak of hand, foot and mouth there at the moment, I'll be completely up $hite creek if the little dude gets it, not to mention I've no clue how to manage a sick baby! He's had a cough the for last two days but no temp and in good form, not sure if i should give him anything? tried some calpol but he spits most of it back up at me! I've lost what ever knack i had when i used to give him gripe water. He sounds a bit phlegmy but seems fine.
    Kathy I hope your little fella is ok and hope that pain wasn't mastitis. That's great you are off until March. Very jealous!
    Did swimming again at the weekend, he was still a bit iffy about it but the water was warmer so i think he liked it a bit more, even fell asleep a one point! Signed up for baby sensory next week.
    Naps seems to be improving again (hopefully not jinxing it) seems happier to nod off himself in his sleeping bag, rather than one of us holding/rocking him. (Score!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement