Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary foster or care for my dog?

• 04-09-2015 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm a student, studying animal behavioursim after just finishing veterinary nursing. I'm putting myself through financially, without a grant or any means of financial support. I live with my parents while I'm studying, but my dog is not welcome as neighbours are frightened of his sheer size. I'm in a catch 22, I can't afford to move out for a few months till i get some money together, and they will not allow the dog to stay under their roof. So I'm asking if anybody out there is able to help out? He is the most amazing dog. He is good with cats, other dogs. I've him very highly trained, as my passion lies in training communication and behaviour. He is one in a million, and i really cannot part with him. I've looked into boarding fees and considered taking out another loan to pay boarding costs if it comes to it.

If anybody could please help look after this gentleman of a dog for a few months I'm sure we could come to some arrangement financially. Obviously i would provide food and cover any expenses necessary. I'm desperate not to lose my dog, we're joined at the hip. Please PM if you think you could help or know someone who might be interested. He is neutered, and house trained.

*Keeping him at my parents house in any way shape or form is a total no-go at this time. When it comes to a love of animals, I'm the black sheep of the family.

Thanks for any advice x

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

TnG wrote: »
    I'm a student, studying animal behavioursim after just finishing veterinary nursing. I'm putting myself through financially, without a grant or any means of financial support. I live with my parents while I'm studying, but my dog is not welcome as neighbours are frightened of his sheer size. I'm in a catch 22, I can't afford to move out for a few months till i get some money together, and they will not allow the dog to stay under their roof. So I'm asking if anybody out there is able to help out? He is the most amazing dog. He is good with cats, other dogs. I've him very highly trained, as my passion lies in training communication and behaviour. He is one in a million, and i really cannot part with him. I've looked into boarding fees and considered taking out another loan to pay boarding costs if it comes to it.

If anybody could please help look after this gentleman of a dog for a few months I'm sure we could come to some arrangement financially. Obviously i would provide food and cover any expenses necessary. I'm desperate not to lose my dog, we're joined at the hip. Please PM if you think you could help or know someone who might be interested. He is neutered, and house trained.

*Keeping him at my parents house in any way shape or form is a total no-go at this time. When it comes to a love of animals, I'm the black sheep of the family.

Thanks for any advice x

Where in ireland are you and what sort of dog is it? and by a few months are you talking one or two months or 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TnG

Hi, I'm in Donegal, but if I thought he'd be in good hands and right for him I'd travel with him anywhere to be honest. Till Christmas if possible, longer would be great but even a couple of months would buy me some time to sort out new accommodation for us! Anything is better than nothing, put it that way :)

Hi, I'm in Donegal, but if I thought he'd be in good hands and right for him I'd travel with him anywhere to be honest. Till Christmas if possible, longer would be great but even a couple of months would buy me some time to sort out new accommodation for us! Anything is better than nothing, put it that way :)

Im in clare be a fair hike down! ha what sort of a dog is it?

He's a saint bernard mix! So he's a big dude. That said, he's so laid back and gentle, all he really wants to do is lie up every evening! He's not high maintenance whatsoever. The journey is not an issue to me, as long as i feel confident he's in good hands :) I'll give you a PM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Big dogs eat big. That's an expensive favour you're asking.

• Advertisement

If anybody could please help look after this gentleman of a dog for a few months I'm sure we could come to some arrangement financially. Obviously i would provide food and cover any expenses necessary.

As i stated I pay any and all bills, including food or veterinary. He's still my dog, i don't expect anybody else to be out a cent on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why would you ship out your dog just because the neighbours are afraid of him?

That's the very question I've asked, it's very upsetting. They've put on tremendous amounts of pressure, my parents own the house, and aren't particularly animal lovers to say the least... So it's out of my hands until I can put together the resources to get rent somewhere with him. It's not my ideal situation but it's better than looking to rehome him when I know within a few months I'll have my own space for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

That's the very question I've asked, it's very upsetting. They've put on tremendous amounts of pressure, my parents own the house, and aren't particularly animal lovers to say the least... So it's out of my hands until I can put together the resources to get rent somewhere with him. It's not my ideal situation but it's better than looking to rehome him when I know within a few months I'll have my own space for him.

Hi TnG. I know that you said that he was a St Bernard Cross, any chance that there would be some sort of Irish rescue or breed club for that specific breed that could advise/help?

snoman wrote: »
    Hi TnG. I know that you said that he was a St Bernard Cross, any chance that there would be some sort of Irish rescue or breed club for that specific breed that could advise/help?

Hi Snoman, I've emailed a Saint Bernard rescue in the hopes they might have some advice for me! Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Let me ask at home over the weekend. I'll be in touch if I find anyone willing to help out. I would do it myself except time constraints.

Let me ask at home over the weekend. I'll be in touch if I find anyone willing to help out. I would do it myself except time constraints.

Really appreciate that budgese, thank you!

Really appreciate that budgese, thank you!

That does mean Wexford though. But I'm sure you're willing to travel with him if he gets a nice foster home. I don't know anyone here where I live in Dublin or Wicklow who could take him on. My mother definitely would except she has a Lab puppy at the moment, and you know what they're like. One of my neighbours might be willing though! I would LOVE to take him, and I know my housemates would love him too but we don't have the time on our hands to walk him and give him the care he needs. I really, really wish I could. I totally understand your problem. I have a cat and three budgies and earlier in the year was trying to find someone to take care of my cat for two weeks when I was inbetween homes. My mother eventually broke down and said "Fine! I'll take her!" but then she didn't treat her as well as her own cats!

I'll ask around and I hope I have good news for you after the weekend. I would hate to see someone lose their pet. I came so close to having to rehome mine.

Thank you Budgese! We seem to be on the same page when it comes to the four legged family members! :) Really appreciate your help. I'm more than willing to travel if i thought he was going to be going to a good foster family. I hate even having to part with him temporarily but to rehome him would kill me, a few months would see us through the tunnel! Thanks, be in touch :) x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry for the off topic post, but where are you studying animal behaviour if you are living in Donegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm sorry we can't take him (herd of cats here) as he sounds lovely. I do hope you can get something sorted.

I would think it would also be worth speaking to any local vets? They may be in contact with some local rescues who also may have some idea's.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭too little too late

Hi. I could help out. I have (had) two big gorgeous newfies but Kramer passed away last week very suddenly at 9 years old. Rua is very lonely and so are we but absolutely not ready to replace him. Have loads of room here, and rua gets on with other dogs no prob. We are really used to big gentle giants too!

Hi. I could help out. I have (had) two big gorgeous newfies but Kramer passed away last week very suddenly at 9 years old. Rua is very lonely and so are we but absolutely not ready to replace him. Have loads of room here, and rua gets on with other dogs no prob. We are really used to big gentle giants too!

Class dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

So sorry to hear about Kramer, I love your post about your dogs and often show them to my class!!

So what way did this finish up? did you find a place for your dog or did you sort it with ur parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Find this post kind of strange tbh. You have to get rid if your dog because the neighbors are afraid of its size surely the neighbors must know if the dog is as gentle as you say he is.
    There you are putting yourself through collage and your parents wont even mind your dog until xmas. As far as I can make out you are willing to ship the dog to the other end of the country to people you never even met.

OP I would have another talk with your parents they are bound to know how much the dog means to you and maybe they will have a change of heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

lulu1 wrote: »
    Find this post kind of strange tbh. You have to get rid if your dog because the neighbors are afraid of its size surely the neighbors must know if the dog is as gentle as you say he is.
    There you are putting yourself through collage and your parents wont even mind your dog until xmas. As far as I can make out you are willing to ship the dog to the other end of the country to people you never even met.

OP I would have another talk with your parents they are bound to know how much the dog means to you and maybe they will have a change of heart.

I don't see anywhere in the OP's post that suggests they are simply planning on shipping the dog to any strangers. Besides that, quite a few of the regular posters here are avid rescue volunteers and work in the animal business, so have all met each other and have INFINITE references of good character and ability to look after dogs. Some of them even do that for a living ;)

A good understanding of fear proves that it never has to be rational - of course the neighbours can be terrified of a large dog, despite it's personality or disposition! That's like you telling someone with a fear of heights that they are being stupid on the Eiffel Tower because they won't fall. Fear operates on the "what ifs".

And lastly, OP made it clear that he is the only one in the family with any love for animals. Walking and feeding a large dog is, on its own, a difficult task and the parents might have made it clear from the dog came into the family that they wouldn't do it, and that is their right! Since OP is the primary (and sole) carer of the dog, it makes perfect sense that the family, who do not like nor wish to care for the dog, want it out of their house as well. When my mother started caring for children at home, she refused to keep my last dog there any longer. I was given an ultimatum and fortunately I was in a position to keep him living with me. That's not always going to be the case, and the OP is doing an incredibly responsible and brave thing trying to ensure that their baby is going to a loving home setting where he will receive the same standard of care, love and attention that he is already used to.

Surrendering the dog to the pound is far cheaper than what the OP is offering to do for his pet.

Advertisement