Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee bug out bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Very interesting to read what they think important, I can't imagine how desperate they feel and having kids and a family to worry about must make it even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I have water dye in my kit handy in a major flood or snow for signaling help. I've also been looking into making up a survival vest I used a plce webtex one with Bergen pouches attached but found it a bit too big and hard to locate small items in a hurry so my next one to try will be a south African tactical vest. Life jacket would be a nice addition to a kit. Don't forget to hide a escape and evade kit on you also you may not be picked up by a friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

How much money do you waste on this stuff???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Green laser was an interesting idea as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

hexosan wrote: »
    Green laser was an interesting idea as well

Wouldnt a flare be more effective? If they know EU vessels are looking for boat people. A flare will be more effective at being found, than a tiny green laser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

A tiny green laser is both easier to carry and easier to acquire than a flare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I have a lidl bag for life.

I'd never class it as a waste of money to be prepared for an emergency. It's up to an individual to how much they spend on their preps. Maybe have a read of the rest of the forum before you become too judgmental of others

hexosan wrote: »
    A tiny green laser is both easier to carry and easier to acquire than a flare.

The only thing I'd be worried about with the laser is it getting wet and failing when you need it most. Flairs are a good option but as hexosan said their a bit difficult to come by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

ShadowFox wrote: »
    I'd never class it as a waste of money to be prepared for an emergency. It's up to an individual to how much they spend on their preps. Maybe have a read of the rest of the forum before you become too judgmental of others

I really don't know what you could realisticly expect to happen in Ireland that would require these kind of preparations.

It all sounds like more of a hobby than anything else, collecting these things that will never be used.

Each to their own though, some of the gear you have is pretty cool but I tend not to concern myself much with trying to anticipate future scenarios since I have found that whatever you do expect and prepare for tends not to happen - something else does instead.

And you can never be prepared for the unknown unknowns ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Wouldnt a flare be more effective? If they know EU vessels are looking for boat people. A flare will be more effective at being found, than a tiny green laser.

I have a green laser and it's a seriously powerful light. It shines a beem for miles and will give away your exact position, It can also been seen from miles away
    I really don't know what you could realisticly expect to happen in Ireland that would require these kind of preparations.

It all sounds like more of a hobby than anything else, collecting these things that will never be used.

Each to their own though, some of the gear you have is pretty cool but I tend not to concern myself much with trying to anticipate future scenarios since I have found that whatever you do expect and prepare for tends not to happen - something else does instead.

And you can never be prepared for the unknown unknowns ;)
    You can never be prepared for everything but you need to decide what's Important to you and go from there. Most people start by storing a bit of extra food for example, that makes perfect sense. Remember the bad snow? Could Very easily happen again and could leave roads blocked and the shops empty in your area after a few days. Same scenario what will you do to heat your house if you have an open fire or stove and only have enough fuel left for a few days.

It is a hobby for most people and for others like myself it ties in very well with my other hobbies like hunting, hiking and the outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Surprisingly little. I have a few items that I consider I have spent a lot of money on but most of my gear is second hand from car boot sales charity shops ebay etc... Part of the hobby for me is finding good gear cheap.

Food supply is the biggest outlay we have a reasonable stock built up so now as it gets used up and replaced in a rotation you'd be hard pressed to calculate any additional expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Steve and Mark are camping when a bear suddenly comes out and growls. Steve starts putting on his tennis shoes.
    Mark says, “What are you doing? You can’t outrun a bear!”
    Steve says, “I don’t have to outrun the bear—I just have to outrun you!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ShadowFox wrote: »
    I have water dye in my kit handy in a major flood or snow for signaling help. I've also been looking into making up a survival vest I used a plce webtex one with Bergen pouches attached but found it a bit too big and hard to locate small items in a hurry so my next one to try will be a south African tactical vest. Life jacket would be a nice addition to a kit. Don't forget to hide a escape and evade kit on you also you may not be picked up by a friendly

they have very compact ones for anglers its a kind of harness with a gas canister, Also have a look at a closed foamjack that Yacht people use provides insulation and buoyancy in a jacket.

for home making a car inner tube was what guys going on the boat Angling competitions used to use in the 80's (before we all became more affluent)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another media outlet has run a similar story, interesting to see more evidence of what are basics and what is dead weight by people who have actually "bugged out".

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/heartbreaking-pictures-show-meagre-possessions-refugees-take-to-start-a-new-life/story-fnq2o7dd-1227518674176

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fascinating. Quite a few with antibiotics.

Advertisement