Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the best high end Android smart phone now available or coming up soon?

• 04-09-2015 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

as the title says, whats the best high end Android smart phone now available or coming up soon?
    My contract wiht Vodafone will be coming to an end shortly. Im currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    I heard that Google are shortly bringing out 2 new smart phones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

banjobongo wrote: »
    as the title says, whats the best high end Android smart phone now available or coming up soon?
    My contract wiht Vodafone will be coming to an end shortly. Im currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    I heard that Google are shortly bringing out 2 new smart phones?

How long is a piece of string?

Don't think there's an answer to this one.
    The galaxy s6 and Sony z5 are probably most high profile but both have small batteries. AFAIK the note 5 won't be released in Ireland.

Personally I've bought the ultra 6 and will keep it until a top phone comes out with a 4k battery.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nexus 5x will be coming released on September 29th.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Depends what you want.

If you want a big phone, then Samsung s6 edge+ or Sony Z5 premium. I'd be wary of the Z5 though, because the Z3+ doesn't do well with the snapdragon s810 chipset, and that's what they're using again.

Other choices are the new nexus devices that aren't too far away, and the oneplus 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Patww79 wrote: »
    Z5 Premium by a mile going off the spec sheet.

Agree has to be the Z5 premium

Only mainstream brand with a 4k screen

I would love one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I'd wait until the Google nexus phones are released this month to make any decision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Depends on what you want from a phone. Samsung has good hardware but destroy the phone with the awful touchwiz crap, so that makes it an automatic no for me. Huawei will have a premium nexus coming out but I find them too big, I have the current nexus 6 and it's practically unusable with 1 hand. The Sony z5 look promising, they haven't tinkered too much with the OS so the phone should be useable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭SteM

jester77 wrote: »
    Depends on what you want from a phone. Samsung has good hardware but destroy the phone with the awful touchwiz crap, so that makes it an automatic no for me. Huawei will have a premium nexus coming out but I find them too big, I have the current nexus 6 and it's practically unusable with 1 hand. The Sony z5 look promising, they haven't tinkered too much with the OS so the phone should be useable.

I would have 100% agreed with that a year ago but they've totally turned that around in their last batch of phones. Touchwiz is much lighter than it used to be imo. Still not stock but much nicer to use than it used to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The current Nexus 6 is a cracking phone and available for less than €400 in Argos.
    It's going to be amongst the first to get 6.0 and updates to follow.
    I can't recommend the phone highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The current Nexus 6 is a cracking phone and available for less than €400 in Argos.

I had a choice between than and an LG G4 at almost identical prices. Few things swayed me to the G4 over the 6 so went with that instead. But difficult decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

thierry14 wrote: »
    Agree has to be the Z5 premium

Only mainstream brand with a 4k screen

I would love one

Why the hell would you want a 4k screen?

You do realise that screen will take the battery out in record time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Since the latest M preview on the N6 it has improved no end, and it started pretty well anyhow.
    Battery and smoothness of operation in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've yet to see anyone post on here and say they got one from argos at that price. €459 on Google play store currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

oneplus 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

does the 1+2 not have nfc ?
    the 1+1 has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

They never had any at that price. Why it is in the catalogue at all is a mystery. There is no stock anywhere. Extensive thread about it here

donegal. wrote: »
    oneplus 2

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kobe

Nexus 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

HTC M9... based on actual use it is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Op you should read up Engadget and Android Central if you want to keep abreast of what's coming up. There are new Motorolas out which are fantastic but there is a range of choice. New nexus lineups this month from LG and Huawei. Both looking great.

Various posters here are offering great phones alas last year's tech. If you are looking for new latest and greatest looks like end of 2015 with be ideal time to buy based on what is coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

It's not that difficult. Most tech channels on YouTube have given the title of best Android phone to the Galaxy S6.

People are still complaining over it being slow without actually owning one. I recommend that you look at any speed test between the S6 and any other phone and then you'll see that Touchwiz has really been cleaned up.

Best screen on a phone, best camera on a phone, best performance on a phone. The only minor issue is the battery which isn't amazing but fast charging more than makes up for it.

If the OP is talking about taking out a new contract/upgrade from an Irish carrier, then that rules or nexus devices, oneplus 2 and moto devices.

Even though I'm an HTC fanboy, I wouldn't recommend a 2 year contract on a 6 month old device. Same applies to the S6 being 6 months old already.

That pretty much leaves the galaxy s6 edge+ and the Sony Z5. From what I know, the Sony Z5 is using the snapdragon 810, which is a dud chipset. Only the HTC M9 makes good use of it, probably due to metal casing. For this reason, I would wait for decent reviews of the Z5 before committing.

For the record, I'm in the same boat as you, and have been offered and early upgrade from Vodafone. Nothing really jumping out at me ATM.

Wouldn't worry about snapdragon 810. It had some overheating issues but Sony have added their own heating pipes to 'solve' this. Will wait for it to be 100% confirmed after release but at the moment it looks good.

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_premium_teardown_reveals_a_dual_heat_pipe-news-13865.php

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/09/03/xperia-z5-4k-video-test-shows-snapdragon-810-heat-issues-conquered/

Its far from a dud CPU anyway.

Also in regards the S6, the oneplus one has shown me that no phone is worth the money Samsung and Apple claim their phones to be worth.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about snapdragon 810. It had some overheating issues but Sony have added their own heating pipes to 'solve' this. Will wait for it to be 100% confirmed after release but at the moment it looks good.

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_premium_teardown_reveals_a_dual_heat_pipe-news-13865.php

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/09/03/xperia-z5-4k-video-test-shows-snapdragon-810-heat-issues-conquered/

Its far from a dud CPU anyway.

Also in regards the S6, the oneplus one has shown me that no phone is worth the money Samsung and Apple claim their phones to be worth.

The addition of the heat pipes further reinforces my point. The 810 is far from what anyone hoped it would be. HTC solved thermal issues long before Sony's latest efforts, but the reality is that in day-to-day usage, my M9 gets worse battery life that my M8, even though it has the same screen, a bigger battery and supposedly more efficient chip.

On topic, there was rumours of a premium LG G4 coming out towards the end of the year, but I don't think the device they're releasing is the step up from the G4 that people were hoping for.

haiyna wrote: »
    It's not that difficult. Most tech channels on YouTube have given the title of best Android phone to the Galaxy S6.

People are still complaining over it being slow without actually owning one. I recommend that you look at any speed test between the S6 and any other phone and then you'll see that Touchwiz has really been cleaned up.

Best screen on a phone, best camera on a phone, best performance on a phone. The only minor issue is the battery which isn't amazing but fast charging more than makes up for it.

Hardly a minor issue, given that without a decent battery life the rest of its functions are meaningless.
    And battery life is the biggest reason I'm getting rid of my S6 Edge.
    The fancy screen is underwhelming to say the least, and the phones performance is only damaged by the lousy Touchwiz GUI, and required replacement with Nova to make it decent.

Basil3 wrote: »
    The addition of the heat pipes further reinforces my point. The 810 is far from what anyone hoped it would be. HTC solved thermal issues long before Sony's latest efforts, but the reality is that in day-to-day usage, my M9 gets worse battery life that my M8, even though it has the same screen, a bigger battery and supposedly more efficient chip.

On topic, there was rumours of a premium LG G4 coming out towards the end of the year, but I don't think the device they're releasing is the step up from the G4 that people were hoping for.

It was underwhelming due to the heating issues making it throttle. You were saying the Z5 is going to fail because its got an 810 in it I'm simply saying that appears to not be true. Plus we also know the king of battery life is Sony's Xperia. Do you really think the Z5 is going to fair any differently?

Without the heating issues the 810 is a very good CPU. Looks like Sony don't have heating issues so looks like their phone will do fine. You're writing off an entire phone because you claimed it had a dud CPU...

irishmover wrote: »
    It was underwhelming due to the heating issues making it throttle. You were saying the Z5 is going to fail because its got an 810 in it I'm simply saying that appears to not be true. Plus we also know the king of battery life is Sony's Xperia. Do you really think the Z5 is going to fair any differently?

Without the heating issues the 810 is a very good CPU. Looks like Sony don't have heating issues so looks like their phone will do fine. You're writing off an entire phone because you claimed it had a dud CPU...

I didn't write off the Z5, I said to wait for decent reviews before committing. Are you an employee of Sony or something?

My OH has the Z3C, and its a great little phone, although I really do think the camera software lets it down. I consistently take better pics with my M8 and M9.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I didn't write off the Z5, I said to wait for decent reviews before committing. Are you an employee of Sony or something?

My OH has the Z3C, and its a great little phone, although I really do think the camera software lets it down. I consistently take better pics with my M8 and M9.

Come on seriously... Lamest argument ever. I could easily say you work for Samsung and their new CPU. Anyway, working for Qualcomm would be more accurate.

I'm simply telling you that calling the 810 a dud is just simply not true. Not quite living up to its potential because of overheating yes but a dud no. Which as I said looks like that might not be of concern for the Z5.

Anyway I bought an LG G4 for €350 yesterday so I'm not one to talk about battery life.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Terrible phone in my opinion. Had one for a few weeks but sold it on. Poor camera, terrible battery, so so screen and it got ridiculously hot. Like so hot it was too hot to touch..

You were on latest software? All those things have been dealt with over the many updates the device has had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,450 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Z5 premium, set you back a cool €1000 on pre order though.
    Z3 is probably the most underrated android, 2 day battery, 20mp camera, 4k video recording, HD music and waterproof. It's specs trump every other phone out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Terrible phone in my opinion. Had one for a few weeks but sold it on. Poor camera, terrible battery, so so screen and it got ridiculously hot. Like so hot it was too hot to touch..

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,450 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't change mine for anything other than a Sony upgrade. Brilliant phone.

Waiting to see what Apple launch on Wednesday but can't see it beating the Z5, I'd say the premium is my next upgrade even though the z3 is perfect, was dipping it in cider the other night in front of someone who wondered why I hadn't an iPhone : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I heard a lot about the Z3 overheating and cracks appearing on it. I think that is why I haven't been considering it for my upgrade when it comes through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sonys hardware is amazing but their FW development still leaves a fair bit to be desired, and with locked bootloaders they can jog on.

1. Good spec
    2. Unlocked Bootloader
    3. Popular handset so there will be a good community around it on XDA etc.

My current handset, an X9076 meets 1 and 2 but not three, and idiot devs in OPPO ruin an otherwise amazing piece of kit. Looking back my favourite handset to date has been an I9300 with HDRevolution. Still runs well to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭fabsoul

How long is a piece of string?

Don't think there's an answer to this one.
    The galaxy s6 and Sony z5 are probably most high profile but both have small batteries. AFAIK the note 5 won't be released in Ireland.

Personally I've bought the ultra 6 and will keep it until a top phone comes out with a 4k battery.

https://europe.oppostyle.com/r7-plus-preorder

Operating System ColorOS 2.1 based on Android 5.1 (Lollipop)
    Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 MSM8939 Octa-Core 1.5GHz
    RAM 3GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
    Storage 32GB Expandable via microSD Card
    Battery Built-In 4100 mAh Li-Po battery
    Colors Golden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

fabsoul wrote: »
    https://europe.oppostyle.com/r7-plus-preorder

Operating System ColorOS 2.1 based on Android 5.1 (Lollipop)
    Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 MSM8939 Octa-Core 1.5GHz
    RAM 3GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
    Storage 32GB Expandable via microSD Card
    Battery Built-In 4100 mAh Li-Po battery
    Colors Golden

Looks like a great phone.
    However it doesn't seem to support all the 4G bands that we have here in Ireland? Or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

R7 is heavy on the aesthetic, weak on the function. Just get a find7.

And it only has last gen LTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Tbh I'm seriously considering buying a phone that doesn't use the snapdragon 810 processor.

A lot of phones that are using that processor are coming out with worse battery life than their predecessors according to reviews these include phones such as the lg g flex, HTC m9, OnePlus two and the Sony xperia z3+.

Samsung ditched the 810 for their exynos series on both the s6 and note 5 and unconfirmed reports say the reason lg downgraded the chipset for the lg g4 down to the 808 was because of the poor battery life.

The reportedly dream phone the saygus v squared and lenovos zuk z1, that is aiming to be a OnePlus one/two killer are both using snapdragon 801 on the basis that it was the last chipset with decent performance.

So I'm not sure.

thomasj wrote: »
    Tbh I'm seriously considering buying a phone that doesn't use the snapdragon 810 processor.

A lot of phones that are using that processor are coming out with worse battery life than their predecessors according to reviews these include phones such as the lg g flex, HTC m9, OnePlus two and the Sony xperia z3+.

Samsung ditched the 810 for their exynos series on both the s6 and note 5 and unconfirmed reports say the reason lg downgraded the chipset for the lg g4 down to the 808 was because of the poor battery life.

The reportedly dream phone the saygus v squared and lenovos zuk z1, that is aiming to be a OnePlus one/two killer are both using snapdragon 801 on the basis that it was the last chipset with decent performance.

So I'm not sure.

That is my main gripe with the M9 vs M8: battery life.

The M9 is actually a gaming beast and probably the best Android gamer at the moment. It scores 65k on Antutu, and will hold steady frame rate on games where the galaxy S6 struggles.

All of this doesn't really matter for someone who isn't a gamer, though. Most of us just want a smooth device with decent battery life. The snapdragon 810 is definitely worse on battery than the 801, from my experience.

For the record, the devices you mention are almost definitely using the 801 because it's cheaper, just a bonus that it's a decent chip. Come early next year, I'd expect the 820 to be a step back in the right direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement