Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the best high end Android smart phone now available or coming up soon?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Basil3 wrote: »
    That is my main gripe with the M9 vs M8: battery life.

The M9 is actually a gaming beast and probably the best Android gamer at the moment. It scores 65k on Antutu, and will hold steady frame rate on games where the galaxy S6 struggles.

Where does the S6 struggle. Had both and no issues with gaming on the S6 or M9 but reviews suggest the M9 throttles more under heavy graphics load and repeated benches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

irishmover wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about snapdragon 810. It had some overheating issues but Sony have added their own heating pipes to 'solve' this. Will wait for it to be 100% confirmed after release but at the moment it looks good.

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_premium_teardown_reveals_a_dual_heat_pipe-news-13865.php

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/09/03/xperia-z5-4k-video-test-shows-snapdragon-810-heat-issues-conquered/

Its far from a dud CPU anyway.

Also in regards the S6, the oneplus one has shown me that no phone is worth the money Samsung and Apple claim their phones to be worth.

and the new sony z5 will be as expensive as any of them( £630 Sterling) 870 euro on sonys website as pre order

Flaccus wrote: »
    Where does the S6 struggle. Had both and no issues with gaming on the S6 or M9 but reviews suggest the M9 throttles more under heavy graphics load and repeated benches.

Yeah, most reviews are old at this stage. HTC have made huge improvements to the thermals, and the M9 has a beast of a GPU. It is now less likely to throttle under intense gaming than the S6. Too lazy to find the article I was reading, but you wouldn't have any problems with either when doing general gaming anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

what do you think about new release by Meizu mx5? it has a decent spec and very affordable price http://www.meizu-mx5.com/meizu-mx5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Thinking similarly with the ZUK Z1. I don't think I'll get an invite any time soon for a one plus two and I'm wondering if it'll be that much better than the ZUK. Gizchina shop selling them from the end of the month.

well they did say they will be on sale in europe so fingers crossed, well know soon enough, The battery is a big difference, the only downside seems to be the processor and depends on your preference but given the problems reported with the 810 and the reviews saying the battery is worse on the OP2 than the OP1, the zuk z1 is my preference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

That ZUK Z1 looks great! Will it be available in Europe I wonder?

Hopefully but this look positive

http://www.zdnet.com/article/300-cyanogen-powered-zuk-1-coming-to-europe-us-in-september/
    The device will also ship with the Android Lollipop-based Cyanogen OS 12.1. to ZUK, it will go on sale in Europe, America, southeast Asia, and the Middle East from this September, with a starting price of $299.

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »

That battery wow. Any word on whether we'll get all the European 4G bands for the international version?

God it seems like a beast even better value than OnePlus tbh I'm seriously considering switching back over from iOS, sick to the balls of Apple and big androids prices I'm sorry I don't care who you are but the guts of a grand for a phone is just mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭N64

LG G4 is a pretty fantastic phone imo. Great camera (better or equal to the Galaxy S6), NFC, good screen, snapdragon 808 (no throttling)

N64 wrote: »
    LG G4 is a pretty fantastic phone imo. Great camera (better or equal to the Galaxy S6), NFC, good screen, snapdragon 808 (no throttling)

I was looking at this too, the battery woes from lads over in its thread worried me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mourinho wrote: »
    I was looking at this too, the battery woes from lads over in its thread worried me though.

I have it and the battery is no different to my oneplus one. But I've got a second battery and cradle so charge that up and when I get home from work just swap the batteries out and I've got a fully charged battery to do me the evening. Not ideal but I didn't have that option before.

I have it and the battery is no different to my oneplus one. But I've got a second battery and cradle so charge that up and when I get home from work just swap the batteries out and I've got a fully charged battery to do me the evening. Not ideal but I didn't have that option before.

How much did the spare battery and cradle cost?

How much did the spare battery and cradle cost?

$60 AUD phone cost me $570 AUD.

• Advertisement

$60 AUD phone cost me $570 AUD.

Sorry for all the questions but just one more what's the screen on time you usually get thanks

Sorry for all the questions but just one more what's the screen on time you usually get thanks

Can't say for sure only have it two days but i'm on 80% with 53 mins on screen (30% brightness) and its been off charge since 6.15am.

I think yesterday my first full day it was on 51% when i got home from work at 4pm. Oneplus is usually just under 50%. By 5.30pm I had switched out to other battery as it was on 22% by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭N64

The battery life is alright I guess. Not the best I've had on a smartphone (that would probably go to the G2) but it's still better than the Galaxy S6. With a lot of idling, the phone gets me through the day easily. I get about maybe 4:15 hours SOT.

I forgot to mention it above but if removable storage is of any importance to you, the G4 also has that which (unfortunately) most of the other flagships don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Patww79 wrote: »
    The battery size rules out the S6 no matter what else it does.
    Batteries grand. I take mine off charge at 6.30 use about 15-20 mins use an hour for different things, then back on charge at 22.00 ish..

Always about 15-20% battery.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The funny thing is that, even though the S6 was better than the G4 in most ways, I went with the LG because of the battery, and it probably wasn't going to be any worse as it turned out.

I'll never be straying from Sony from here on I'd say. The Z3 I'm using now is so good, consistently over 5½ hours screen on. Only has around 4% Play Services use too, compared to high teens for the LG. What's the Samsung like in that regard?

8%..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Patww79 wrote:

Does the G4 have fast charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

That battery wow. Any word on whether we'll get all the European 4G bands for the international version?

God it seems like a beast even better value than OnePlus tbh I'm seriously considering switching back over from iOS, sick to the balls of Apple and big androids prices I'm sorry I don't care who you are but the guts of a grand for a phone is just mental.

These are the bands for the international version:

TDD-LTE (bands: 38 39 40 41)
    FDD-LTE (bands: 1 3 7)
    TD- SCDMA (bands: 34 39)
    WCDMA (850 900 1900 2100 MHz)
    CDMA2000 (800MHz)
    GSN/EDGE(850 900 1800 1900 MHz)
    CDMA (800MHz)

AFAIK this should cover all of it. Also http://www.willmyphonework.net/ says that the ZUK Z1 will work here.

I don't understand why everyone is saying that the battery on the G4 is better than the S6 because I'm looking at online comparisons and most of them seem to give that victory to the S6.

It's enabled but they don't give you the fast charger with the phone, you have to buy it separately. You also have to use the quickcircle case with the annoying flappy front it you want wireless charging.

Not at all. You can buy the replacement NFC and wireless strip which is all in one (like I have for $15 AUD with charging cradle) and just replace the strip already in the back. Don't need a horrible flip case.

I agree that the battery is a little poor but I think you got a dodgy phone. I've used my phone no different today than with my oneplus one and am sitting at the same battery level now. With my screen brightness 10% higher. As I said it's not great but difference for me now is I can just swap out my battery in seconds and have a fully charged battery in there while the other charges. I'm much better off now because before I used to have to throw the phone on charge. Now I have pretty much seamless guaranteed usage for the whole day. That and of course the massive price difference is why I went for this instead of the S6.

It's been a fair while since I used it properly as the sim from the Z3 doesn't fit in it, but I keep it charged and use it in the evenings sometimes. Just really needs to be put into airplane mode every time you leave it down as it gets sucked dry by background stuff.

On the wireless strips, any I ever looked into (before I read it won't work on my old Nexus 4 pad anyway) had poor reviews that they cause the rear cover to protrude and make the back volume buttons really hard to press. That has to be creating extra strain on internal components. You think they'd (or someone) have made a back cover by now with it incorporated, extras for this phone have been so slow coming.

Honestly you've got a dodgy phone. Did you try RMA it? I didn't check my phone for 2 hours today and it dropped by 4%.

The cover I have. Black leather that came with the phone as the NFC strip in it. It's designed to incorporate the strip and the one I'm getting is just a direct replacement to that strip. According to people on Australia forums who've bought the same one as I did that's the case anyway. I only ordered it today and most likely won't have it until the end of the month so can't confirm for sure but I doubt it screws up the back.

• Advertisement

Might be a different one then, the ones I seen stuck onto the inside of the back cover. The one you mean probably isn't available here as yet (or ever), even the proper battery and battery charger is nigh on impossible to get unless you import from the US.

My whole drain is Google Play Services, so I'm still thinking software. The only reason I haven't given the phone away yet is in the hope that M might fix it if LG put it on the device.

Could be the same one. It's a sticker that replaces the one already in there. Just reading through some comments again and a couple are saying it adds about 1mm to the back thus making it ever so slightly raised on the back volume but to a but said it's not really noticeable. I'll see when I get it what it's like but I'd suspect it won't be an issue.

My Google play services is at 9%. Few percent higher than the oneplus one was. I'll have a play this weekend when i've a chance and see what I can improve on it but biggest drain on the phone when I checked battery usage was chrome at 30% so forgot to close all that. Probably would have had better battery usage if I did. I guess I just love the whole swapping out battery when I need.

Does closing Chrome really help? I didn't think it ran in the background when you're not browsing. It's always the highest user on my Z3 too.

No idea but here's my usage.

Patww79 wrote:

I have a feeling as well the more windows you have open in chrome the more battery it uses up from refreshing those windows.

Ah man doze can not come soon enough!

haiyna wrote:
    I don't understand why everyone is saying that the battery on the G4 is better than the S6 because I'm looking at online comparisons and most of them seem to give that victory to the S6.

While a lot of reviews saying the battery life would be good a lot of the public who got the s6 had poor experiences and still do with the battery on the s6

While the G4 battery is just as bad, the key thing is you can carry a second one around with you

thomasj wrote: »
    While a lot of reviews saying the battery life would be good a lot of the public who got the s6 had poor experiences and still do with the battery on the s6

While the G4 battery is just as bad, the key thing is you can carry a second one around with you

Which is what I just did. Heading to the pub now with 90% battery.

Do any G4 owners here have a fast charger? What's it like?

I've always been tempted with a cheaper chinese Android phone, but several things always put me off:

- What is support like if something goes wrong?
    - How reliable are they with updates? How long will they take to receive Marshmallow, for example?
    - As they are generally running old chips, lower res screens etc, are they any better than buying one of last year's flagships second hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've always been tempted with a cheaper chinese Android phone, but several things always put me off:

- What is support like if something goes wrong?
    - How reliable are they with updates? How long will they take to receive Marshmallow, for example?
    - As they are generally running old chips, lower res screens etc, are they any better than buying one of last year's flagships second hand?

It all depends on what company you buy from. I have an Ecoo E04 Plus, the support isn't great, still haven't received OTA updates for Lollipop let alone Marshmellow. It depends on your price range, most of them aren't running old chips and low res screens though.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    It all depends on what company you buy from. I have an Ecoo E04 Plus, the support isn't great, still haven't received OTA updates for Lollipop let alone Marshmellow. It depends on your price range, most of them aren't running old chips and low res screens though.

When I say lower res, I mean only FHD, often on 5.5-6" devices. As far as I can see, most run Snapdragon 801, which is 18 months old, or MediaTek which have questionable performance.

My point is really that the specs only match a flagship from last year, and they're probably less likely to support it with updates.

When I say lower res, I mean only FHD, often on 5.5-6" devices. As far as I can see, most run Snapdragon 801, which is 18 months old, or MediaTek which have questionable performance.

Most of qualcomms chipsets since 801 have had questionable performance one way or another

Harika wrote: »
    These are the bands for the international version:

TDD-LTE (bands: 38 39 40 41)
    FDD-LTE (bands: 1 3 7)
    TD- SCDMA (bands: 34 39)
    WCDMA (850 900 1900 2100 MHz)
    CDMA2000 (800MHz)
    GSN/EDGE(850 900 1800 1900 MHz)
    CDMA (800MHz)

AFAIK this should cover all of it. Also http://www.willmyphonework.net/ says that the ZUK Z1 will work here.

Ah this is like the OnePlus One all over again with no band 20 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know when the next nexus phone is due out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

JJJJNR wrote: »

https://www.androidpit.com/nexus-5-2015-price-release-date-specs-features

There is an updated refresh of the N5 on the way, but I'm not sure if there will be a direct replacement of the Nexus 6 to come...

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »

Expected to be announced on the 29th.

We were expecting 2 devices, nexus 5 by lg with a 5 inch screen and a larger nexus with 5.5 screen by huawei but there's rumours the huawei nexus maybe pushed back until next year

http://neurogadget.com/2015/09/12/google-nexus-6-2015-release-date-delayed-nexus-5x-is-on-course/15330

Advertisement