Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing the smokes.

Options
  • 04-09-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been a smoker since 13. I'm now 22 and I'm off them the last 4 months. I am beginning to miss smoking. I don't mean getting a craving, just missing them. Is it really worth been unhappy and healthy.. I'm just in 2 minds.. 60% missing them and 40% happy that I'm off them.but since I'm not getting a craving. I don't know what else I can do to stay off the smokes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You didn't miss them when you were 12...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been a smoker since 13. I'm now 22 and I'm off them the last 4 months. I am beginning to miss smoking. I don't mean getting a craving, just missing them. Is it really worth been unhappy and healthy.. I'm just in 2 minds.. 60% missing them and 40% happy that I'm off them.but since I'm not getting a craving. I don't know what else I can do to stay off the smokes...
    Buy a vaping kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Thargor wrote: »
    Buy a vaping kit?

I actually used to vape when I was quitting then switched to the nicorate inhaler. So I'd hope not to go back on either if I could.

endacl wrote: »
    You didn't miss them when you were 12...

No to sure what your getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No to sure what your getting at.

I also quit. Any time I used to have a sneaky smoke thought, I'd remember I wasn't born a smoker. I decided to be one. And then I decided not to be. Second decision was the better one.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    I also quit. Any time I used to have a sneaky smoke thought, I'd remember I wasn't born a smoker. I decided to be one. And then I decided not to be. Second decision was the better one.

I see, but you can't miss what you never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

My advice for what it's worth is to avoid NRT. You'd be setting yourself up for a relapse. You might want to try some reading as a way of changing you're mental outlook. Alan Carr's books have helped many. Or maybe look up Joel Spitzer's videos on YouTube. He has been a quit counsellor for decades and his talks are brief and very much on particular topics which may help you. Very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Yeah can't help much, if you quit you did the right thing and it was a great decision.
    I wouldn't go using NRTs in any fashion, and if you really worry that you might relapse, especially if out on the berr, then I'd say why not get a cheap ecig kit, like a real entry level yoke, and a bottle of 0 nicotine liquid. It might just be handy to have that something to grab for in a panic, with no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

Hi all,

You are doing so well, don't stop now. This is the mind playing games on you. It will get easier. You will miss them less and less as time goes by. I am almost 3 years off them now and still miss them the very odd time but am so happy I am off them. I always feel sorry for all the people standing outside work having to smoke especially in the rain. Be careful at the 4/5 month stage. I went back on them on a few occasions at that stage before I finally beat the cravings. I would be telling myself 1 was ok and I'd be back off them the next day but never worked like that. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Merelyme

Hi all. I had my first cigarette at aged 7. By 10 years of age I smoked every day. I am 52 years of age now and through December 1st and 2nd 2015 went 24 hours without a cigarette for the first time in over 40 years. The first week was a screaming bitch but with 4 weeks coming up tomorrow I'm finding it less difficult.

I decided to get VIP vape cigarettes to help me from the start but they are an absolute nightmare in that they cannot be depended on. My fourth battery (yes, 4th) broke last night and I got a different type today. I won't name the different type of vape cigarette because I don't want to seem to be promoting a product. All I will say is if you are giving up smoking and choose the vape route stay away from VIP products. They are useless. I have spent over €170 on batteries and replacement filters/oil (I got one battery free for complaining).

Anyway, I'm amazed to be almost 4 weeks without touching a cigarette. I wish everyone trying to give them up all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

Hi all,

Very good decision given that smoking is harder to give up than alcohol. You will soon not miss smoking and feel sick around those who smoke in addition to being in control. It is the best high you can ever have.

Advertisement