Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please- biscuit cake meltdown

Options
  • 04-09-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Im in the middle of a disaster at the minute. Making a chocolate biscuit cake and every time (3 so far) i melt the chocolate, golden syrup and butter it turns into this grainy rubbish thats only fit for the bin. I have made this 3 times before without fail so i dont know what i am doing wrong.

I was following the odlums recipe.

Any help appreciated as its needed for tomorrow.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Is water getting into the chocolate by any chance? Even a little bit will make it seize up and go grainy. I have also made grainy chocolate before by stirring it a lot while it was melting, it needs to be left relatively to its own devices. Oh, any by burning it but it doesn't sound like you're burning it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The same thing happens to me every time I melt chocolate and golden syrup when I'm making Nigella's rocky road. The first time it happened, out of desperation and meanness because I didn't want to throw it all out, I tried adding a tiny drop of milk and it worked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What chocolate are you using? Is it high in cocoa?
    I put the choc, syrup and butter directly in the pot (no double boiler) and it always works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

What chocolate are you using?

Other than using an unsuitable chocolate then it's classic overheating. Melt the chopped up butter and syrup together, do not boil, then take off heat and add well broken up chocolate, leave for 5 minutes then stir gently until all melted. The heat of the mix and the saucepan is sufficient to melt the chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Thanks. Im thinking im guilty of over-stirring it alright. Used a different chocolate each time, 2 aldi types and a lidl and got the same grainy results. Ah its done now, disappointed with the result. Fairly gutted but i havent got the heart to start all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Just thought I'd let it be known that for some bizarre reason, everyone was raving about the cake. These were pretty much the same gathering of people that would have eaten my previous efforts and they all reckoned it was the best one I have ever made.

Dont know what I was worrying about, also dont know why i threw out the previous 3 batches of chocolate and biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I've been using the cadburys recipe for almost a year because I had the same results with the odlums recipe. People have been raving about how fudgy and delicious it is!

https://m.facebook.com/CadburyIreland/posts/10150519253632149

Advertisement